6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

fix dangling side mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

fix dangling side mirror?

I'm wondering if it's possible to re-attach a dangling power side mirror that still "works." It responds to the fold and mirror-move switches, it just doesn't stay on without being tied to the post. It got knocked off by driving too close to a pole, but I don't see anything "broken" on the post or on the base of the mirror.
Photos attached.
Thanks a lot.
Attached Thumbnails fix dangling side mirror?-dsc00612.jpg   fix dangling side mirror?-dsc00613.jpg  
Old 09-22-2013, 12:19 PM

There has to be a retaining clip or something that goes into the center where the wire comes out that broke off. I will sift through the manual and see if I can find anything to help.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:01 PM

http://www.partswebsite.com/nissanca...imagecallout=2

Could not find the clip, you might want to check with Nissan Dealer see if they can pull up just the clip.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:09 PM

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Parts-Access...%7C2005%7C2004

Browse through these
Old 09-22-2013, 01:17 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-08-Nissan-Maxima-Power-Folding-Rear-View-Mirror-Right-Passenger-Side-/200934176111?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec89c356f&vxp=mtrBest match so far
Old 09-22-2013, 01:30 PM

is this powered and heated or powered and non-heated?
Old 09-22-2013, 06:56 PM

Most likely it is an assembly, mirror plus swivel bracket, and entire assy has to be replaced, be it heated, or non-heated, powered or non-powered mirror, it does not matter. The only way to access fasteners usually would be taking the trim panel off. I've never deal with side mirrors on this car, but most mirrors are accessed from inside the door. Also, if this car is insured both ways (comp and collision inclusive) and you have a low or zero deductible, you may want to claim your insurance to pay for a new mirror.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by po8pimp
is this powered and heated or powered and non-heated?
power-fold and heated.
Thanks for the Ebay references, but I think that would involve painting the housing, which I'm trying to avoid if possible.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by McSam
power-fold and heated.
Thanks for the Ebay references, but I think that would involve painting the housing, which I'm trying to avoid if possible.
you might be able to use your original housing to keep from painting it. There are some pics on the web of one taken apart which looks like the housing would disassemble.

As far as accessing the mirror, it is bolted inside the car behind the black trim piece on the door. Removing the mirror might give you better access to figure out what is going on. In order to see inside the mirror itself, you have to remove to mirror from the housing. It is attached with high grade glue. A heat gun should help in removing this.

If I was doing this, I would just keep it tie wrapped and purchase a new one and get it painted when I got the money. Using insurance is another option, however depending on the company, you could get your rates increased.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by po8pimp
you might be able to use your original housing to keep from painting it. There are some pics on the web of one taken apart which looks like the housing would disassemble.
If you could locate those pics I would appreciate it. My mirror is a 15 wire auto-dimming one, so if I end up buying a replacement mirror, is it a big deal to work instead with a simpler one, even a manually folding one? I think that a manual one is a safer bet than a power folding one, since it will fold when hit, rather than break off!!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by McSam
If you could locate those pics I would appreciate it. My mirror is a 15 wire auto-dimming one, so if I end up buying a replacement mirror, is it a big deal to work instead with a simpler one, even a manually folding one? I think that a manual one is a safer bet than a power folding one, since it will fold when hit, rather than break off!!
You would need same exact mirror that your vehicle was equipped with. The only way to do this is to cross reference your VIN with corresponding part# for that mirror. Of course, you can fool around with bracket that is impossible to reattach, or with wires that are impossible to reconnect due to different mirror design (power vs. manual, or heated vs non-heated), do this all you want, it's your car, it's your money, and your sweet time. But again, I highly recommend same exact part. Mirror can be accessed by taking door trim off, then a triangle piece of plastic, behind that piece are bolts, holding mirror. Well, disconnect first of course. Even if seems an expensive way to do this, still saves you hassle, and car is still worth X thousands depending on mileage, you are still ahead of game.