8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by maxima1213
Actually found it on YouTube lol they just posted it

http://youtu.be/Bd1qCi5nSKw
The commercial is getting rave reviews!

Hey Maxima1213 - I just noticed your post was reply 1,000 to the thread!

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-01-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:02 PM

Thanks for posting, 19" wheels did not make it. It still looks good to me, maybe a big break kit and 19" aftermarket wheels would put it in par with the concept.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:07 PM

Story here...

Will it have the Mercedes 3.0 TT??!!!???? If so- I called it

Last edited by 95VQ30; 02-01-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Nice to finally see it!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:10 PM

rear
Old 02-01-2015, 05:12 PM

Wow watching the commercial again, and pausing it at the maxima....it looks just like the Altima, I gotta see this thing in person to make a decision, looks like some fear camber too
Old 02-01-2015, 05:19 PM

Love the rear spoiler, very subtle. The side view mirrors worries me. Are they going to be black, or body colored? Please DO NOT cut cost here, and make it black!!!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
Wow watching the commercial again, and pausing it at the maxima....it looks just like the Altima, I gotta see this thing in person to make a decision, looks like some fear camber too
It as the Infiniti side door dent

Old 02-01-2015, 05:22 PM

I like the floating roof-line and c-pillar. At least it is something different.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by george__

Good Catch. The industry term for the rear door dent lift is called a "Darrin Dip".
Old 02-01-2015, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
I like it! Not in that color, but overall I like it! One odd thing, at the end, on the back of the car, on the right side trunk, there is a word, and I can't figure out what it says! I hoping it says NISMO.
Yeah I've been trying to figure it out but have no idea what it says.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:32 PM

Okay. I'm not into football but I am really upset that I didn't watch the SuperBowl this time to see the commercial! After 18 years they decide to secure a SuperBowl spot. I just wanted to partake in the very first airing. Oh well.. On to the sexy beast we will soon call the new Maxima.

I love it. It is different. Many will not like it (including current model owners). Many will be enamored by it (including myself). Of course this commercial was a teaser. The lighting, the color, the brief shots all do their jobs in keeping your interesting instead of satisfying it. Overall, it does look like the concept, it does have futuristic design cues (and some good borrowed ones), and it is succeeding in making another following.

As far as the commercial's theme, I would have wanted something more along the lines of start to NOW; almost like a montage with different people driving the car through the years until the final unveiling. That's just me.

I think it's a masterpiece.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:37 PM

^
It looks a little too IS and Q50(ish) but I guess that's a good thing
Old 02-01-2015, 05:40 PM

Slow milenky lizards

Originally Posted by Dudemaine
My eyes are betting on Platinum. That is what I make out, "not" Nismo.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:45 PM

That looks an oxblood maroon burgundy..
Old 02-01-2015, 05:50 PM

It would be so nice if everyone who wanted a Maxima, could customize every single aspect of it to make their own unique model (all the way down to the smell of the exhaust) kind of like the Moto X allows you to customize the exterior of the phone. Maybe then people will like it and the sales will be insanely high.

Unfortunately, with all that customization the Moto X still isn't the best selling phone and Maxima (despite no consumer input) still remains one of the top selling sedans!

I love this and can't wait to see it in Winter Frost with the panoramic roof, dropped on Eibachs, with a blacked out grille!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by river57
Thanks for posting, 19" wheels did not make it. It still looks good to me, maybe a big break kit and 19" aftermarket wheels would put it in par with the concept.
Maybe this isn't the sport version and they wanted to show the premium side. I'm more than sure they will have 19" with that package or at least as an option. The concept wheels were 21" and looked like they were dropped. These wheels look like watered down versions of the M37S wheels. Still kind of sexy in a conservative way! :0)
Old 02-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Watched the commercial several times .....still tough to make a decision and I agree, it definitely looks very "IS'ish". But nonetheless, a huge leap from gen 7
Old 02-01-2015, 06:37 PM

new commercial confirms maxima to be a dad car
Old 02-01-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by river57
My eyes are betting on Platinum. That is what I make out, "not" Nismo.
I'm betting you're right since the top of the line Murano, Pathfinder, Quest and Armada are called Platinum.

Now here's to hoping there will be a NISMO version!
Old 02-01-2015, 07:10 PM

For me, the Superbowl ended the instant I saw the 8th gen Maxima on the screen. I've done nothing but look at it ever since. Close to the concept. I love the wheels better than either the concept or the photoshopped 'probably 2016' versions.

Nice to see wheels and tires that fill the wheel well. I like the hood and grille that seem more masculine and bold than the concept. The hood, nose and front fenders sort of take me back to the strong Infiniti 'M' front, which I always liked. I like the 'floating roof.' I like the tastefully discreet spoiler. I like the sculpting on the side, which still gives us a trace of the neat 'coke bottle' effect.

This is probably the only car on the market that I would consider paying MSRP for. Thankfully, because it is a Nissan, I won't have to pay MSRP. I am going to have to practice my 'why should I buy this car?' routine. I don't like to show up at the dearler's lot with saliva drooling down my face.

I would have preferred that the photo been from more like six feet off the ground. As soon as any photo of any vehicle taken from just three feet off the ground appears anywhere, posters immediately begin their 'huge' and 'bulky' prose. Then, when they see the car in person, things that looked to be at chest level in the 'low view' photos turn out to be only at hip level, and they change their opinion.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-01-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:30 PM

I think it will bring in some disenchanted Honda Accord people who would like a fresh new look in a performance sedan.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
I think it will bring in some disenchanted Honda Accord people who would like a fresh new look in a performance sedan.
I think you may be right. There isn't anything terribly wrong with the current Accord look. But then the Accord look has not had a radical styling overhaul in years. Honda was probably afraid they might do something dumb like Toyota did with the Camry grille. The Camry now looks like it ran over a gigantic fly swatter, and the mesh portion of the swatter got stuck on the grill of the Camry, and is dragging the ground.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
For me, the Superbowl ended the instant I saw the 8th gen Maxima on the screen. I've done nothing but look at it ever since. Close to the concept. I love the wheels better than either the concept or the photoshopped 'probably 2016' versions.

Nice to see wheels and tires that fill the wheel well. I like the hood and grille that seem more masculine and bold than the concept. The hood, nose and front fenders sort of take me back to the strong Infiniti 'M' front, which I always liked. I like the 'floating roof.' I like the tastefully discreet spoiler. I like the sculpting on the side, which still gives us a trace of the neat 'coke bottle' effect.

This is probably the only car on the market that I would consider paying MSRP for. Thankfully, because it is a Nissan, I won't have to pay MSRP. I am going to have to practice my 'why should I buy this car?' routine. I don't like to show up at the dearler's lot with saliva drooling down my face.

I would have preferred that the photo been from more like six feet off the ground. As soon as any photo of any vehicle taken from just three feet off the ground appears anywhere, posters immediately begin their 'huge' and 'bulky' prose. Then, when they see the car in person, things that looked to be at chest level in the 'low view' photos turn out to be only at hip level, and they change their opinion.
I was waiting for you to chime in and put everything into perspective. I agree with everything you mentioned. I love the big derriere and I love the lights. I was hoping to see the same front lights (those look totally awesome) but I can't tell how close they got since this was a side profile view.

I didn't find the car to look big and bulky and as much of a behemoth as others were seeing it to be. I think the color and the darkness of the depth was intentional to still not give away the mystery of the car until it hits the showroom.

Some mentioned it resembled aspects of the Lexus IS. I don't see it. Do you see anything similar to the two vehicles?
Old 02-01-2015, 07:45 PM

LightonHill = Yoda for Maxima
Old 02-01-2015, 07:58 PM

I will look forward to seeing the color pallate Nissan chooses for this car. I would guess:

White
Black
Silver
Red (which looks more like maroon in the ad)
Medium gray
Dark gray
Navy
Strad (the 'burnt orange' of the concept car)

Nissan normally limits the Maxima pallate to eight colors. Nissan may surprise us, but I would not expect more than one additional color to the ones I listed.

If Nissan comes out with a NISMO Maxima, I suspect the colors will be limited. Maybe white, black, silver, gray and strad. Maybe not even all of those.

Seeing the power train(s) and option packages will be interesting.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:05 PM

Propa Teknique - I must admit I am not familiar with Lexus models. Where I live, the Lexus brand sends the wrong message for me. Most men driving a Lexus around where I live borrowed the car from their wife.

I know it seems strange, but, around here, the Lexus is sort of like the Cadillac of the 1950s, in that it is the new way suburbanites tell their neighbors that they have 'arrived.' Put another way, most Lexus drivers I converse with have no idea what wheel size, tire size or even HP their car may have. If you get my message. Lexus drivers are often not 'automotively connected'. And, for the type of driving they do, the Lexus is probably the best car for them. It certainly is a comfortable and reliable vehicle.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-01-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:07 PM

If there is anyone watching this thread from the Nissan Design Center, send a THANK YOU back to the office for finally showing the courage to graduate from 65 year old automotive designs that were introduced by the men in the following picture somewhere around 1949.

It will take the rest of the industry a decade to realize what happened..

Old 02-01-2015, 08:20 PM

Now CS_AR, have you even driven the Kaiser that 'Dutch' Darrin designed? It was not that bad a vehicle. If I recall correctly, he designed it in 1948, around the same time the Fraser, Tucker and Henry J were coming off the drawing boards. Of course none of those cars could compete with the major auto manufacturers. Even larger and established companies could not compete with GM, Ford and Chrysler. Hudson, DeSoto, Pierce-Arrow, Terraplane, Auburn, Cord, etc. So many car brands now lie at the bottom of the ocean.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:22 PM

LightonHill = Yoda for Maxima
You nailed it. I've been that Yoda since October 1984.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:26 PM

Now CS_AR, have you even driven the Kaiser that 'Dutch' Darrin designed? It was not that bad a vehicle. If I recall correctly, he designed it in 1948, around the same time the Fraser, Tucker and Henry J were coming off the drawing boards. Of course none of those cars could compete with the major auto manufacturers. Even larger and established companies could not compete with GM, Ford and Chrysler. Hudson, DeSoto, Pierce-Arrow, Terraplane, Auburn, Cord, etc. So many car brands now lie at the bottom of the ocean.
Yes.. Both a Manhattan and Darrin roadster.. Though the sea foam green Darrin roadster that I drove only had rear brakes that worked..It was short on power and short on brakes..

IIRC Darrin was working for Kaiser when the Henry J (a.k.a. Sears Allstate) was developed.

They weren't bad -- amazing how some parts of the designs are still hanging on today. Though everybody wanted something with a V-8 and an automatic transmission.

You might enjoy looking at the following slide show..

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/Rid.../Staley?sort=4

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-01-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dudemaine
platinum
Old 02-01-2015, 11:06 PM

Not feeling that thang, especially form the side view (very fat/thick looking). I worked for Nissan corporate for years and have seen gens 4 to 7 come to light, this looks like it has officially joined the Avalon/Impala crowd as a true full size car (rear is Avalonish) instead of "unofficially" like the prior ones. For me Maxima is done, if I were to buy a brand new 4 door I would take the Q50 sport handily over this for styling etc. After driving the Z and 335IS I have gotten to love the RWD balance again. The Mazda 6 wears that classic Monte Carlo crease in the front fender to door better than any of these other current/future cars trying to pull that off.

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 02-01-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:09 PM

This looks much better, it does not have fat/bloat look from the side.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Yes.. Both a Manhattan and Darrin roadster.. Though the sea foam green Darrin roadster that I drove only had rear brakes that worked..It was short on power and short on brakes..

IIRC Darrin was working for Kaiser when the Henry J (a.k.a. Sears Allstate) was developed.

They weren't bad -- amazing how some parts of the designs are still hanging on today. Though everybody wanted something with a V-8 and an automatic transmission.

You might enjoy looking at the following slide show..

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/Rid.../Staley?sort=4

Thanks, CS_AR. Very nice walk down memory lane. Some of those cars are older than me, and I was around during the original Great Depression.

For decades, I have attended the Chick-fil-A Christmas party at Chick-fil-A headquarters near Atlanta the first Sunday of each December. Truett Cathy (founder of Chick-fil-A, who passed away at age 93 this past August) collected very old cars, and spent untold money restoring them to mint condition. He usually had around twenty-five or thirty on display each year, and that was the highlight of Christmas for me. Dusenburgs, Auburns, Model Ts, and the earliest Corvettes, etc.

Thanks again for the slide show.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looks like a G50 on roids

I hope Nissan didn't go too crazy with the touch screens for the interior. If they did, I hope there is a proper battery under the hood to power it all #7thgeneration
Old 02-02-2015, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
These are my thoughts so far.

Love the front, and grille can be modded.
Like the rear, but it's nothing special and looks like many other cars..

But I just cant fall in love with that side view, it looks way too big and bloated IMO.

Need to see more
Old 02-02-2015, 05:29 AM

Everything looks pretty good except the wheels. Same thing with the 2015 Murano and the wheels on the Maxima in the commercial look just like Murano wheels. I feel Nissan has taken a step back on their wheel designs.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
My picture is of a Infiniti Q series

And to confuse you even more a Leuxus IS series

That rear looks familiar to the Maxima eh!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:41 AM

Nice to see wheels and tires that fill the wheel well.
Except that they don't "fill the wheel well", LOTH. They tuck pretty severely, just like all the models before it. Go look at the 1:26 mark on the video (below)

And the wheels themselves are awful. Directional spokes should sweep backwards, not forward. Moreover, I suspect they didn't design a left-side/right-side rim. That's a fail, no matter how many times it's done.

As for the commercial itself... all is forgiven when the absentee father shows up in a new family sedan. Yeah, nice messaging there, Nissan.

Quick Reply: The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more