8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more

Old 03-08-2018, 05:17 AM

I've never been a fan of "refreshes" and often find that first or second model year of a complete redesign to be the best until there is a another compete redesign.

In looking at some of these pictures, I may come to this same conclusion. I'm not sure if the quad tailpipe integrated to the bumper fits the car. I also tend to prefer round as apposed to rectangle shape tailpipes. Every time I see rectangle I think of Pontiac Grand Prix's for some reason
Old 03-08-2018, 05:17 AM

glad they are not messing with the overall look too much, it's great just the way it is. The increase in "sound deadening" materials is a good idea for the lower trims without the bose noise cancellation. Hopefully some of that will help the the interior rattles some have been experiencing
Old 03-08-2018, 05:53 AM

2019 Maxima to get Facelift

Peak at the 2019 Maxima , although slightly camouflaged.
Is undergoing testing and was spied recently.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...irst-time.html

https://www.motor1.com/news/235411/n...ed-first-time/

Enjoy
Randy
Old 03-08-2018, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Randy
Peak at the 2019 Maxima , although slightly camouflaged.
Is undergoing testing and was spied recently.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...irst-time.html

https://www.motor1.com/news/235411/n...ed-first-time/

Enjoy
Randy
they better make it AWD and add mor power to it. Other wise my next car will be a Infiniti Red Sport.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Anthony Feliu

they better make it AWD and add mor power to it. Other wise my next car will be a Infiniti Red Sport.
This^^ and those pics are not enough refresh....
Old 03-08-2018, 05:39 PM

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...ml#post9170319

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Same ol' drivetrain...
Old 03-09-2018, 09:45 AM

Frankly you won't see any of those changes so the Infinity would be a good choice. Stand by for a huge price bump though
Old 03-09-2018, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Frankly you won't see any of those changes so the Infinity would be a good choice. Stand by for a huge price bump though
This is true.

Before I got the Maxima SR, I briefly looked at the Fusion Sport that had AWD and a turbo and perhaps a hair better performance numbers. I also remember reading comparisons with the Fusion sport and Accord V6 that was FWD and how some actually preferred the Accords with FWD to the Fusions AWD. I bring this up because AWD doesn't magically make things better and I'm sure the AWD that might be put in the Altima would not be something you'd want in a performance vehicle. I mean I think you would have to pay a lot more to have something decent .
Old 03-09-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by guvadc
This is true.

Before I got the Maxima SR, I briefly looked at the Fusion Sport that had AWD and a turbo and perhaps a hair better performance numbers. I also remember reading comparisons with the Fusion sport and Accord V6 that was FWD and how some actually preferred the Accords with FWD to the Fusions AWD. I bring this up because AWD doesn't magically make things better and I'm sure the AWD that might be put in the Altima would not be something you'd want in a performance vehicle. I mean I think you would have to pay a lot more to have something decent .
Most AWD cars these days are just FWD until the car detects a tire slipping, then it sends power to the rear wheels. Pretty useless if you don't live anywhere that it snows.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
Most AWD cars these days are just FWD until the car detects a tire slipping, then it sends power to the rear wheels. Pretty useless if you don't live anywhere that it snows.
It can help on a hard launch, but that is partially offset by the added weight. Fuel economy suffers as well.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:01 PM

Looking forward to see this update, exterior and interior
Old 03-12-2018, 06:53 PM

Altough i love my 17' MAX SL when my lease is up i will be going with a Q60 either RS model pre owned or a new 300hp Fully loaded premium trim.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My lease is up October 2. My dealer is trying to give me an 18, but I want to hold out for the 19. He is saying there is no chance it comes out this year, but I've seen articles online saying it should be out by the end of the summer. Drastically conflicting information.

Who is lying? Do I have any shot of getting a 19 by October or should I just settle for an 18 now?
Old 03-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Administrator

^You should have no problem picking up a '19 Maxima come October.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:41 PM

19's come out in sep or oct so i would wait for the 19's also go elsewhere and do not give your $$$ to that dealer for being full of **** and lying to you when he clearly knows they come end of the year. now its likely you get a better deal with a 18 model because of the refresh 19's something to keep in mind.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:26 PM

'18s were announced on October 19th last year, arrived in dealers starting sometime in November. Would assume at this point '19s would follow same schedule.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by bat2144
My lease is up October 2. My dealer is trying to give me an 18, but I want to hold out for the 19. He is saying there is no chance it comes out this year, but I've seen articles online saying it should be out by the end of the summer. Drastically conflicting information.

Who is lying? Do I have any shot of getting a 19 by October or should I just settle for an 18 now?
My lease is also up at the end of Oct 2018. I wonder if I could extend this lease 2 months or so just to be sure the 19s are in stock?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:14 PM

You can always ask for an extension

Originally Posted by robtroxel
My lease is also up at the end of Oct 2018. I wonder if I could extend this lease 2 months or so just to be sure the 19s are in stock?

honestly, if i were you ill wait for the 19 model its gonna be a little different than the 16-18 models. But it’s up to you. Your dealer wont prob have em till like late nov.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:06 PM

"The Maxima will be getting a refresh too and while the 300-hp 3.5-liter V6 is likely to remain unchanged there should be an updated infotainment system, additional safety systems and a comprehensively restyled front and rear end. Camouflaged test mules have hinted at many styling cues from the Vmotion 2.0 Concept car"

https://carbuzz.com/news/15-cars-we-...york-auto-show
Old 03-21-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer
"The Maxima will be getting a refresh too and while the 300-hp 3.5-liter V6 is likely to remain unchanged there should be an updated infotainment system, additional safety systems and a comprehensively restyled front and rear end. Camouflaged test mules have hinted at many styling cues from the Vmotion 2.0 Concept car"

https://carbuzz.com/news/15-cars-we-...york-auto-show
Maxima will not be at the New York show. They are showing the new Altima and the two would clash.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:01 PM

honestly, if i were you ill wait for the 19 model its gonna be a little different than the 16-18 models. But it’s up to you. Your dealer wont prob have em till like late nov.
Good advice. Also heard the 19 Max will incorporate a better active lane keeping function with corrective feedback felt thru the steering wheel to avoid drifting over the lines
Old 03-25-2018, 02:31 PM

jlr61, you posted the following in another thread. Anything more you can share about what to expect for the 2019 Maxima, versus the 2021 version you mentioned?

Quote:
Expect an edgier look with more tech and the familiar V6 underhood.
Nissan is pretty good when it comes to keeping new models and design refreshes under wraps. This is only our first look at what will be the 2019 Maxima, and as you can see, the testing process seems well underway. Obviously this is going to be a refresh as opposed to an entirely new model, hence the camo wrap relegated to just the front and rear sections of the car.

What’s is in store for Nissan’s flagship sedan? The car will wear a redesigned fascia up front that should bear resemblance to the new Altima slated to debut later this month at the New York Auto Show. We haven’t seen that car yet, either, but we have seen the Nissan Vmotion 2.0 concept with is brighter, sharper grille and edgier face. Nissan has said the concept previews design cues for its forthcoming sedans, so expect to see higher-mount driving lamps and more definition to the Maxima's grille, not unlike the concept.

In the rear, we expect the “edgy” theme to continue with redesigned tail lights that stretch further forward onto the quarter panels. The lower rear fascia should also gain a bit more definition, while quad rectangular exhaust tips replace the dual oval outlets on the current model.

Nissan gave the present-day Maxima a bit more standard-issue tech items, but the new car should offer more in the way of driver assists and safety systems with optional ProPilot. We’ve also heard a new infotaiment system will grace the interior, but don’t expect any hybrid technology just yet. Power will almost certainly remain the sole responsibility of the familiar 3.5-liter V6 producing 300 horsepower (224 kilowatts), connected to a revised CVT turning the front wheels.

We haven’t heard any word on when the refreshed sedan might debut, but it should appear by the end of this summer at the latest.

Okay, here's the 411. I haven't been back here since 2014, when the A36 was still in development (to briefly address skeptics). The A36.5 will be going on sale December 2018 for the 2019 model year, which is still somewhat an estimate, depending on how successfully targets are met for the launch timetables.

A myriad of changes will be taking place, which I am not at liberty to disclose. Currently, the A37 has not been approved for production, but styling choices are in the full size stage of clay mockups. Look for that to arrive in 2021.

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...an-maxima.html
Old 03-29-2018, 08:34 PM

Nissan Working On A New Maxima: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/03/ni...ntra-due-2019/
Old 03-30-2018, 06:25 AM

From the article - "Little is known about the car but the VP suggested Nissan will “really push the envelope” and deliver “something greater than people ever thought or imagined a Maxima could be.”

Could either be really hopeful or just hype - we'll soon see!!!
Old 03-30-2018, 09:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As a 4 time and current (03) Maxima owner, I will not consider another Maxima until it has a non-CVT transmission and preferably a manual option. What the Maxima was is now the Q50 and looking pretty hard at the 15 with the 328hp VQ.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:14 AM

Neither will EVER happen. There just aren't enough people who feel the way you do.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by maxwannabenow
As a 4 time and current (03) Maxima owner, I will not consider another Maxima until it has a non-CVT transmission and preferably a manual option. What the Maxima was is now the Q50 and looking pretty hard at the 15 with the 328hp VQ.
The CVT is here for the longer run. It just delivers too much in efficiency and MPGs!- returned from a 450 mile trip on mostly interstate driving and got 32.7 MPG. By the way all on regular gas!

Last edited by robtroxel; 03-30-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:55 AM

Posted this yesterday and it went ignored.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by maxwannabenow
As one who has owned nothing but Maximas for over 34 years, I will say that the manual died as a feasible option around fifteen years ago. Dealers could not sell manual Maximas between 1998 and 2006, at which point Nissan wisely stopped throwing good money after bad, as, by then, less than 5% of Maxima buyers opted for the manual.. In the gridlocked traffic that has become normal in most places these days, I can't imagine a manual Maxima being chosen by more than 3 or 4% of Maxima buyers.

As for the CVT, it is the most efficient tranny out there, and efficiency is the 'order of the day.' I am getting well over 30 MPG on open freeways in my Maxima. I was never able to do that with either a manual vehicle or one with automatic tranny. Those folks who still remember the fun of shifting in bygone years and want to row will need to look at vehicles other than the Maxima.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:38 AM

jlr61, you posted the following in another thread. Anything more you can share about what to expect for the 2019 Maxima, versus the 2021 version you mentioned?

Quote:
Expect an edgier look with more tech and the familiar V6 underhood.
Nissan is pretty good when it comes to keeping new models and design refreshes under wraps. This is only our first look at what will be the 2019 Maxima, and as you can see, the testing process seems well underway. Obviously this is going to be a refresh as opposed to an entirely new model, hence the camo wrap relegated to just the front and rear sections of the car.

What’s is in store for Nissan’s flagship sedan? The car will wear a redesigned fascia up front that should bear resemblance to the new Altima slated to debut later this month at the New York Auto Show. We haven’t seen that car yet, either, but we have seen the Nissan Vmotion 2.0 concept with is brighter, sharper grille and edgier face. Nissan has said the concept previews design cues for its forthcoming sedans, so expect to see higher-mount driving lamps and more definition to the Maxima's grille, not unlike the concept.

In the rear, we expect the “edgy” theme to continue with redesigned tail lights that stretch further forward onto the quarter panels. The lower rear fascia should also gain a bit more definition, while quad rectangular exhaust tips replace the dual oval outlets on the current model.

Nissan gave the present-day Maxima a bit more standard-issue tech items, but the new car should offer more in the way of driver assists and safety systems with optional ProPilot. We’ve also heard a new infotaiment system will grace the interior, but don’t expect any hybrid technology just yet. Power will almost certainly remain the sole responsibility of the familiar 3.5-liter V6 producing 300 horsepower (224 kilowatts), connected to a revised CVT turning the front wheels.

We haven’t heard any word on when the refreshed sedan might debut, but it should appear by the end of this summer at the latest.

Okay, here's the 411. I haven't been back here since 2014, when the A36 was still in development (to briefly address skeptics). The A36.5 will be going on sale December 2018 for the 2019 model year, which is still somewhat an estimate, depending on how successfully targets are met for the launch timetables.

A myriad of changes will be taking place, which I am not at liberty to disclose. Currently, the A37 has not been approved for production, but styling choices are in the full size stage of clay mockups. Look for that to arrive in 2021.

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...an-maxima.html
Good summary, and pretty much in line with what I have read and heard, except I am hearing the A37 may not arrive until either the 22 or 23 model year. But, unless Nissan runs into major trouble during testing, as they did with the 8th gen, I think it is possible the A37 could arrive by the '21 or '22 model year. All I know for sure is that I will continue my very long tradition of buying a new Maxima the first year of each new generation. The Maxima has never disappointed me.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:45 AM

5/25/18: "The Tennessee plant is expected to commence build of a facelifted model in six-seven months' time, the car being updated for the 2019 model year. That should be the last styling refresh for the X42N series Maxima."

https://www.just-auto.com/analysis/a..._id182617.aspx
Old 06-23-2018, 02:11 PM

5/25/18: "The Tennessee plant is expected to commence build of a facelifted model in six-seven months' time, the car being updated for the 2019 model year. That should be the last styling refresh for the X42N series Maxima."

https://www.just-auto.com/analysis/a..._id182617.aspx
Thanks for the link Schumer,

Sadly it hints strongly that this may be the end of the line for the V6 in the Maxima. If that's true, sadly I'll be moving on to another brand next time.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:42 PM

I would suspect a lower output version of the Infiniti 3.0 Twin Turbo V6 over a turbo I-4. Infiniti already has a 300 hp (@6400 rpm) version that powerplant, but the torque is higher (@295 ft-lb @1600-5200 rpm) than the current 300 hp (@6400 rpm) 3.5l V6 (@261ft-lb@4400 rpm) in the Maxima.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:58 PM

robtroxel: "The 2019 Maxima will have the enhanced lane keeping feature now seen in the Altima as well as a more updated cell phone capability."

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...model-out.html
Old 07-24-2018, 05:15 AM

"Nissan's full-size sedan will get a face-lift for 2019, with the most noticeable changes coming to the front and rear ends. Expect the restyled fascia to be influenced by the look of the new Altima, with the rear getting updated taillights and a sporty quad exhaust. Inside, the Maxima should get Nissan's latest active driver aids and an updated infotainment system. There's also a chance the VC-Turbo four-cylinder might replace the V-6."

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019...-buyers-guide/
Old 08-02-2018, 05:04 PM

@bones787718: "2019 will be a mid cycle refresh, rear of car will be full led and quad exhaust. Front boomerang will be led tubes not led's like current maxima's and nissan might change the grill to the new style although not confirmed and as far as tech goes the 19's will have the tech that the altima's are getting not to mention carplay/android auto rear usb's and a few other features nissan hasn't confirmed yet but with just the other changes alone is enough to wait a few extra month's."

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...model-out.html
Old 08-15-2018, 10:32 PM

Nothing yet on the 2019's. Are they even hitting lots this year?!?!? I see the 2019 Sentra will be unchanged.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Nothing yet on the 2019's. Are they even hitting lots this year?!?!? I see the 2019 Sentra will be unchanged.
A bunch of us are completing our 3 year leases this fall with no Maxima product to transition to..at least if you want a 2019! Found out I can extend my lease for at least 3 months but I don't think that will be enough time to get into the 19 model. Right now I'm shopping for other brands to see if there are any other good deals out there
Old 08-16-2018, 04:59 AM

Last year Nissan announced the 2018 Maxima on October 19th and they started showing up at dealers in mid-November. The question is whether they'll follow a similar schedule or not.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:02 AM

Nissan Front Office comments on release of the 2019 Maxima's

I have been very discouraged with the turtle slow information coming from of Nissan Product folks about the 2019 Max release date. I spent some time emailing Nissan staff who send out the product info and releases. They are commendable in the fact they created a case number for my info request and actually called me back several times till we could talk in person! What I am hearing is that the Maxima target for the 2019s is on or about January 2019. With that, they added the disclaimer that it could be a month earlier or even later! Nothing I can take to the bank about cars on the dealer lots then either.

My theory is that all their efforts are going to get the 2019 Altima out the door 1st. Realistically that brings more dough in that the maxima ever will. That makes us with leases that mature fall and winter - SOL. I don't want an 18 so I'm having to shop elsewhere before my lease is done in late October. What a shame Nissan has left the faithful Maxima owners in the lurch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more