8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Converting Nav screen to play Movies/Youtube from USB?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:08 AM

Converting Nav screen to play Movies/Youtube from USB?

Im wondering if there is a conversion for our Nav Screens (2016 SR) to play whatever your phone will using: Youtube videos etc. through USB?

This is basically for my son to watch his Boss Baby or Childrens videos if we take a long trip?

(Not trying to be Fast and furious playing video games before a race )

Thanks
Old 07-24-2017, 12:02 PM

I want this also. But haven't had any luck finding anything
Old 07-28-2017, 01:23 PM

Not sure if the replacement stereos in this post will get you what you need, but it was the first thing I thought of when reading this post. Also...these things look too good to be true.

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...ng-screen.html
Old 07-30-2017, 07:09 PM

Well, the nav unit is basically a full computer running a pared down version of Windows CE, so it's POSSIBLE but not technically feasable. I am currently working on reverse engineering the software so I can make some modifications of my own. I am sure that one could also write a video player app, but that would require a significant amount of reverse engineering, coding and testing to get it to work. So its very unlikely that youd be able to do something simple like unlock a hidden menu and enable this feature.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:56 AM

Nice! Good luck with that. I don't know anything about the stereos I referenced. I just remember seeing them on another post and thought it would be relevant here.

I also wonder how "easy" it would be to write changes to the current software or wipe/load new software to the device? Usually that can be a show-stopper from what I've read, but I am far from an expert on the subject.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by OUBeaver
Nice! Good luck with that. I don't know anything about the stereos I referenced. I just remember seeing them on another post and thought it would be relevant here.

I also wonder how "easy" it would be to write changes to the current software or wipe/load new software to the device? Usually that can be a show-stopper from what I've read, but I am far from an expert on the subject.
Not easy at all. This isnt just you re-install windows from USB and youget a normal desktop - it's an embedded system so basically to read/write the OS you need to unsolder the memory chips, read them block by block, disassemble the code, find the exact spot where you can update a few instructions (in assembly language), then re-flash the chip and solder it back in. So basically, it is a very advanced engineering task, not a simple hack. These devices use "Windows" code, but its entirely different from the Windows you are familiar with - basically it is just called Windows because some of the core code is inherited from the Windows platform, but there is no UI, no command line, and it doesnt react to any inputs (CD/USB) the same way that you might expect.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:22 AM

Doesn't look like this is possible without swapping out with aftermarket I guess. Sad day
Old 02-14-2018, 08:54 AM

Ermm.....in a day and time when many look at their PHONE more than the road (even at highway speeds!!! ), the difficulty (liability) on doing this conversion is probably intentional and by design....arguably, RIGHTLY SO!

Just sayin'!
Old 02-14-2018, 10:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jgilbs
Not easy at all. This isnt just you re-install windows from USB and youget a normal desktop - it's an embedded system so basically to read/write the OS you need to unsolder the memory chips, read them block by block, disassemble the code, find the exact spot where you can update a few instructions (in assembly language), then re-flash the chip and solder it back in. So basically, it is a very advanced engineering task, not a simple hack. These devices use "Windows" code, but its entirely different from the Windows you are familiar with - basically it is just called Windows because some of the core code is inherited from the Windows platform, but there is no UI, no command line, and it doesnt react to any inputs (CD/USB) the same way that you might expect.
trying to add a ps4 and run it on loads .
Old 05-23-2018, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just found this

http://www.navtool.com/nissan-maxima...e-carplay.aspx

Think I may try it.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:48 PM

I did mine the easy way. Bought my wife a Samsung tablet then I loaded up about two dozen for her favorite movies, all good to go.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

are u bought navtool interfave ?