8th Gen non-Bose Stereo Install - Page 2 - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 8th Generation Maxima (2016-)
Reload this Page >

8th Gen non-Bose Stereo Install

8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

8th Gen non-Bose Stereo Install

Old 12-02-2018, 02:25 PM
  #41  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 83
Wiring is finished. You can see the wiring in the doors in the posts I made yesterday. Today I worked in the trunk, completing the hook-ups to my amps and tucking all the wires into their final places. This first photo is of the driver's side of the trunk, with all the finishers removed showing the wiring to the JL Audio FIX.

macdonjh is offline  
Old 12-02-2018, 02:30 PM
  #42  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 83
Here is the other side of the trunk, the passenger's side. I mounted the TwK D8 on this side. I have a TOS-link digital cable connecting the FIX and the TwK. I also keep a long USB cable connected to the TwK in case I want to make changes. That way I don't have to take the trunk finisher out to connect to the TwK.

macdonjh is offline  
Old 12-02-2018, 02:35 PM
  #43  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 83
Here's what my trunk looks like, full view, without the finishers reinstalled. All the wires are going to be hidden.

macdonjh is offline  
Old 12-02-2018, 02:41 PM
  #44  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 83
And here we are with all the finishers and carpet reinstalled. All the wires are hidden. Now that all my wiring is finally finished my immediate task is to fine tune my DSP. My next two improvements will be noise control (sound deadening mat) and proper woofers for the rear deck. If tweaking DSP fixes my weak bass a bit, noise control will be first, otherwise woofers are next up.

macdonjh is offline  
Old 12-02-2018, 04:28 PM
  #45  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 107
Nice work!
tommie70 is offline  
Old 12-02-2018, 07:57 PM
  #46  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by tommie70 View Post
Nice work!
Why, thank you. I checked out your install, too. Great work on your car. Mine doesn't sound quite right yet. I have all kinds of tweaking to do with crossovers, delays and level boosts and cuts. Then, there's EQ...
macdonjh is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 06:41 PM
  #47  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 83
I got my amps' gains balanced. Unfortunately, I picked a gain that's way too hot. I compensated for that by cutting output from the DSP units. Everything sounds much better, bass especially is more present. I'm really impressed with how much the antique JL Audio Evolution 6.5" mid/woofers are capable of. I'll spend some time this weekend cutting the gain and rebalancing so I can put everything back to "level" in my DSP and I can use more of my pre-amp output level.
macdonjh is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 05:54 PM
  #48  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 83
I spent some more time in the trunk today. I reset the input gains on my amps and balanced them a bit better. I tweaked the settings in my DSP and now everything sounds pretty good. I hope the store I go to has a spectrum analyzer, I'd like to apply some EQ, but don't really want to do it "blind". Next up, sound deadening mat. That might have to wait a while, though: it's too cold to install that stuff and my garage isn't heated.
macdonjh is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 11:39 PM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 420
Originally Posted by macdonjh View Post
I spent some more time in the trunk today. I reset the input gains on my amps and balanced them a bit better. I tweaked the settings in my DSP and now everything sounds pretty good. I hope the store I go to has a spectrum analyzer, I'd like to apply some EQ, but don't really want to do it "blind". Next up, sound deadening mat. That might have to wait a while, though: it's too cold to install that stuff and my garage isn't heated.
Move to Tampa. I haven't worked on my car in 5 days because my work has to be done outside on the driveway and it's been too bloody hot and humid to want to go outside.
User1 is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 04:03 PM
  #50  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
really nice job! I took the easy way out and had Car Toys install my 12" JL sub, amp, and interface module thingy with the bose factory amp.
CerOf is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 08:49 PM
  #51  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by CerOf View Post
really nice job! I took the easy way out and had Car Toys install my 12" JL sub, amp, and interface module thingy with the bose factory amp.
Any pictures? Are you saying that you can control the sub while not having to have the factory head unit replaced? thanks!
carp is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:21 AM
  #52  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
That I am.
CerOf is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:32 AM
  #53  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Photos of mine:

Edit: Hmm....I uploaded the photos using the website's handy-dandy feature but it isn't working for some reason.

The bass adjustment control **** is installed just to the right of the heated steering wheel on/off switch on the dash.
With this **** I can control the bass from a nice subtle compliment to the music or crank it to max where the bass will cleanly overpower the music.

The Amp is an entry level JL 12" sub in a JL pre-fab enclosure.
The amp is a JL JX250/1D.
The interface that allows me to keep the factory headunit, bose amp and bose speakers is an LC2i.

The system gets louder than I can handle listening to for any extended period of time...and that's not because I'm "old".

The sound quality is clean enough for my tastes, especially in a car!
The Maxima factory system was REALLY lacking bass. Whether you want to rattle the mirrors or provide a nice compliment to the music, I think this is a must upgrade.

Last edited by CerOf; 01-11-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Photos Not Showing
CerOf is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:49 PM
  #54  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by CerOf View Post
Photos of mine:

Edit: Hmm....I uploaded the photos using the website's handy-dandy feature but it isn't working for some reason.

The bass adjustment control **** is installed just to the right of the heated steering wheel on/off switch on the dash.
With this **** I can control the bass from a nice subtle compliment to the music or crank it to max where the bass will cleanly overpower the music.

The Amp is an entry level JL 12" sub in a JL pre-fab enclosure.
The amp is a JL JX250/1D.
The interface that allows me to keep the factory headunit, bose amp and bose speakers is an LC2i.

The system gets louder than I can handle listening to for any extended period of time...and that's not because I'm "old".

The sound quality is clean enough for my tastes, especially in a car!
The Maxima factory system was REALLY lacking bass. Whether you want to rattle the mirrors or provide a nice compliment to the music, I think this is a must upgrade.

That's good to hear, I was wondering what I was going to do because I really like the infotainment screen/controls/etc and didn't want to lose that but the bass is so anemic. No punch at all. My old car was a 2008 Hyundai Azera and I didn't even think about getting a sub because the bass was so much better than the Maxima. Those infinity speakers sounded a lot better than the Bose too. Can I ask how much you paid including installation?
carp is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:36 PM
  #55  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
It was about $850 out the door. You could use a different brand of sub or amp. JL fetches a premium price.
CerOf is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:56 PM
  #56  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by CerOf View Post
It was about $850 out the door. You could use a different brand of sub or amp. JL fetches a premium price.

I bought a 12" JBL sub/box with amp for my 96 Maxima in the late 90's for around 600 installed so that seems pretty reasonable and less than I thought you were going to say, thanks.
carp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.