General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Which detector would you pick after ready the latest radar test??
V1
43.33%
Passport 8500
38.33%
Bel 980
11.67%
K40
6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Radar Detector Test--->> NEW!!--->>

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 03:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
LOL!! The arrows can tell me what signals are false...LOL!!

If and when I'm on the road (long trips) and I'm doing ~85 and 90 no trooper is gonna be catching up to me. Why would a trooper be doing 95+ just for the hell of it?? I drive very often and have yet to see see that happen.. Even if he was behind me I'd just slow down after all I am speeding it's no big deal to slow down I just lift off the Accelerator he passes me I follow.... Don't slow down for K or Ka band on the east coast while on I95(x band if in jersey) and see what happens..LOL!!

If it beeps, I slow down.

dude...if you LOL any more, you're going to fall out of your friggen chair....face it....V1 RULES!!! Other detectors DROOL!!!
Old 12-17-2001, 04:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

If a cop was after me with his radar blasting then I would pick that up hear the beep and slow down. If he's using instant-on he has to be in eyes view. Instant on and regular radar gun locks in at no greater than a 1/4 mile(for police use) which is easily seen through the rear view mirror or front view.. Now I'm driving ~85mph and I'm passing all of the traffic and all of a sudden I see headlights coming from behind in my experience it means someone is going way faster than me or it's a cop.. I use common sense and slow down(without the use of the radar detector). No arrows needed..

On 85 in NC they love using instant on but they tend to come from the opposite direction.. Also, radioing ahead about a vehicle they can't see(at night) from the opposite side of the road is a bit challenging to describe.. Been there done that..

Instant on is, once again, done in eyes view of the target so you and your arrows will instantly know where to look when he's locked onto you.. LOL!!! No radar detector can defeat instant-on so get a jammer for that(my brother found that out the hard way with his V1).. In the day on 85 they tend to "pace" so no arrows can help you there either just keep turning your head back at each on ramp is your only hope..

Ppl say they are getting the better detector(v1) yet they have no proof of it being better. They are surely getting a detector with arrows but no proven detection superiority. Just get yourself a Bel 970 or 980 or a Passport 8500 and save some cash. Can't wait til the New V1 is tested..

Originally posted by dwapenyi

I'd live to drive on the roads you drive, cause where I drive, 85-95 or whatever, they're going after you. And if they don't, they'll just radio ahead.

You tell me, I didn't say they'd be flying just for the heck of it.

I wish it were that simple. I remember the days when there was only X and K bands, and there was no such thing as instant on radar. Radar detector cars absolutely RULED. I had a cobra trapshooter back then, and I was loving life on my road trips.

DW
Old 12-17-2001, 05:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

If a cop was after me with his radar blasting then I would pick that up hear the beep and slow down. If he's using instant-on he has to be in eyes view. Instant on and regular radar gun locks in at no greater than a 1/4 mile(for police use) which is easily seen through the rear view mirror or front view.. Now I'm driving ~85mph and I'm passing all of the traffic and all of a sudden I see headlights coming from behind in my experience it means someone is going way faster than me or it's a cop.. I use common sense and slow down(without the use of the radar detector). No arrows needed..

On 85 in NC they love using instant on but they tend to come from the opposite direction.. Also, radioing ahead about a vehicle they can't see(at night) from the opposite side of the road is a bit challenging to describe.. Been there done that..

Instant on is, once again, done in eyes view of the target so you and your arrows will instantly know where to look when he's locked onto you.. LOL!!! No radar detector can defeat instant-on so get a jammer for that(my brother found that out the hard way with his V1).. In the day on 85 they tend to "pace" so no arrows can help you there either just keep turning your head back at each on ramp is your only hope..

Ppl say they are getting the better detector(v1) yet they have no proof of it being better. They are surely getting a detector with arrows but no proven detection superiority. Just get yourself a Bel 970 or 980 or a Passport 8500 and save some cash. Can't wait til the New V1 is tested..

if you've actually SEEN and USED both...you'd understand...
Old 12-18-2001, 04:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

if you've actually SEEN and USED both...you'd understand...
After my insurance was raised to $4500/year, I finally decided to invest in a radar detector (better late than never). I'm interested in either the Bel or the Passport and need to know where I can get them at a good price. Any help is appreciated.
Thnaks--Gregg
Old 12-18-2001, 05:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

Originally posted by greggmax

After my insurance was raised to $4500/year, I finally decided to invest in a radar detector (better late than never). I'm interested in either the Bel or the Passport and need to know where I can get them at a good price. Any help is appreciated.
Thnaks--Gregg
The passport 8500 goes for $300 new. I looked all over the internet and everyone was selling it for that. I think the Bel 980 goes for about $260-280. Just do a search for one of them and you will find a number of places.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

You are very good at describing situations with a radar when a cop is after YOU. That's not half the possible scenarios that you can encounter when on the road. In these days of Laser and Instant on, It's not when he's after you that you're looking out for, its when he's after somone else that you want to equip yourself in a best defense position. Instant ON, you want you radar to be very senistive pick up the reflections from SOMEONE else being radared. Laser, if you get extremely lucky, you'll pick up a bounce (somehow) of someone else being lasered. The arrows on the V1 help you deal with that. Of course the other do it, too, but with more work on your part.

When YOU are being hit with insatnt ON or Laser, ANY radar is useless because it's already too late.

DW

Old 12-18-2001, 06:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

Originally posted by CRMax

The passport 8500 goes for $300 new. I looked all over the internet and everyone was selling it for that. I think the Bel 980 goes for about $260-280. Just do a search for one of them and you will find a number of places.
Soundgood: $260 shipped for the 8500. That's where I got mine.
http://www.soundgood.com/store/page23.html
Old 12-18-2001, 07:05 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

Cop Instant On stray signal...--->>
You and I both have detectors(you V1, of course, me with Bel or Passport) it beeps K or KA from an instant on(rollin @ 90 mph) from the front, left, rear or right. I slow down immediately but you look at the arrows. Beep again your just begining to slow down I'm already doing within the speed limit.. You get ticketed cause you were analyzing where the signal was coming from first instead of slowing down.. What do I have to lose by slowing down when I hear a beep??? Nothin!! What do you stand to gain by viewing the arrows first...well in MD they call it "points"!!

Laser is a narrow beam of light light at close range. What are the odds this narrow beam of light will bounce directly at your V1 or any detector? Not only that but having the V1 Arrows tell you accurately where that stray laser beam originated.. It could have bounced off 2 road signs.. Get a Blinder laser jammer and a Bel or Passport.. Grand total $460-$530..

Originally posted by dwapenyi
You are very good at describing situations with a radar when a cop is after YOU. That's not half the possible scenarios that you can encounter when on the road. In these days of Laser and Instant on, It's not when he's after you that you're looking out for, its when he's after somone else that you want to equip yourself in a best defense position. Instant ON, you want you radar to be very senistive pick up the reflections from SOMEONE else being radared. Laser, if you get extremely lucky, you'll pick up a bounce (somehow) of someone else being lasered. The arrows on the V1 help you deal with that. Of course the other do it, too, but with more work on your part.

When YOU are being hit with insatnt ON or Laser, ANY radar is useless because it's already too late.

DW

Old 12-18-2001, 08:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

Cop Instant On stray signal...--->>
You and I both have detectors(you V1, of course, me with Bel or Passport) it beeps K or KA from an instant on(rollin @ 90 mph) from the front, left, rear or right. I slow down immediately but you look at the arrows. Beep again your just begining to slow down I'm already doing within the speed limit.. You get ticketed cause you were analyzing where the signal was coming from first instead of slowing down.. What do I have to lose by slowing down when I hear a beep??? Nothin!! What do you stand to gain by viewing the arrows first...well in MD they call it "points"!!

Laser is a narrow beam of light light at close range. What are the odds this narrow beam of light will bounce directly at your V1 or any detector? Not only that but having the V1 Arrows tell you accurately where that stray laser beam originated.. It could have bounced off 2 road signs.. Get a Blinder laser jammer and a Bel or Passport.. Grand total $460-$530..

90% of the time I get a real hit...I have AT LEAST 30-45 seconds warning before the cop will actually be radaring me. If you get a strong enough signal that you will get radared in the next 5 seconds..it's just instinct to get to the speed limit.

Your logic makes no sense....from what I see you are just saying that you don't want to pay an extra 100-150 bucks for what you believe is just arrows. You've obviously never used a V1 for an extended period of time...and your ignorance about it's fuction and usefulness is showing.

You are simply coming up with ONE or TWO specific situations where the arrows will not be useful....if you're going to go into specific situations..why not cover EVERY possible situation, and see what conclusion that gets you to.

The laser detection of the V1 has been PROVEN to be BY FAR the best of any detector..and the new V1.8 improves on that. Check you little biased radar detector views for laser range and sensivity. I've gotten a laser warning a full TWO MILES before I could actually see the cop...this was on a flat straight road...
Old 12-18-2001, 08:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

Strong enough signal?? You mean Beeps?? Really, "natural to slow down on strong enough signals"??

If it beeps I slow down...

First I've never used the V1, now I haven't used it long enough.. Once again my brother owns a V1(he has been ticketed with instant on) I used his car with the V1 for 4 days(of course that's not long enough, right) the second time I went to cali I used it in a Viper for a day.. $150 bucks for an Arrow on a proven passe detector is rediculous.. Hopefully the newer V1 can get it's old 1999 title back and stop trying to sell it's self based on Arrows and give better radar detection.

Situations, damn how many am I to list?? Sorry I don't have time or care to spit out all the combinations that could occur but I think I have used the most common..

The V1 laser detection was proven far superior when?? '97?? You base this info of a test yet when I base it off an independant test its a biased view..

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

90% of the time I get a real hit...I have AT LEAST 30-45 seconds warning before the cop will actually be radaring me. If you get a strong enough signal that you will get radared in the next 5 seconds..it's just instinct to get to the speed limit.

Your logic makes no sense....from what I see you are just saying that you don't want to pay an extra 100-150 bucks for what you believe is just arrows. You've obviously never used a V1 for an extended period of time...and your ignorance about it's fuction and usefulness is showing.

You are simply coming up with ONE or TWO specific situations where the arrows will not be useful....if you're going to go into specific situations..why not cover EVERY possible situation, and see what conclusion that gets you to.

The laser detection of the V1 has been PROVEN to be BY FAR the best of any detector..and the new V1.8 improves on that. Check you little biased radar detector views for laser range and sensivity. I've gotten a laser warning a full TWO MILES before I could actually see the cop...this was on a flat straight road...
Old 12-18-2001, 10:23 AM

I have to agree with DC Max...why would you even keep going the speed you're going if the radar went off???

It's just not logical to think...to check your detector, analyze it and judge whether or not its a false

If it beeps just slow down to a reasonable speed or the speed of the cruising lane

If you're doing a ridiculous speed like 90+ you deserve the ticket

Who's actually losing out if I can still save my *** a ticket with a cheaper detector?...the 8500 and the Bel do their jobs...even if its not as good of a detector as the present 1.8 V1...its not like its a beeper in a black box like the Phazers
Old 12-18-2001, 12:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

Strong enough signal?? You mean Beeps?? Really, "natural to slow down on strong enough signals"??

If it beeps I slow down...

First I've never used the V1, now I haven't used it long enough.. Once again my brother owns a V1(he has been ticketed with instant on) I used his car with the V1 for 4 days(of course that's not long enough, right) the second time I went to cali I used it in a Viper for a day.. $150 bucks for an Arrow on a proven passe detector is rediculous.. Hopefully the newer V1 can get it's old 1999 title back and stop trying to sell it's self based on Arrows and give better radar detection.

Situations, damn how many am I to list?? Sorry I don't have time or care to spit out all the combinations that could occur but I think I have used the most common..

The V1 laser detection was proven far superior when?? '97?? You base this info of a test yet when I base it off an independant test its a biased view..

so you slow down every time your detector beeps...nice..that's gonna get you places real quick...

You brother is a moron if he got a ticket....that's his problem...no radar detector out there would have saved his a$$ with the instant on...avioding tickets takes a little bit of basic intelligence, like not speeding when there aren't any other cars in front of you to act as bait.

as for the detector reviews...90% of them out there are biased...hell...radartest.com doesn't even quote the right stats on the V1.

I'm done with this conversation.....I'll go on using my V1 you go on using what every piece of c@ap you want.