General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Things that piss you off about your maxima!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:42 PM

getting stuck on a hill in the snow, then my driveway 2 hours later, bose subwoofer stopped, overall acceleration hi an low speeds(could be just the weather) but its a huge improvement from my 01 taurus wagon so i love this car n will drive it till it dies 2times
Old 01-29-2009, 09:10 PM

Haha the thing that makes me angry about my Maxima was that the previous owner broke the sunroof, and just jammed it back into place instead of fixing it or anything so when I decided to open the sunroof on a sunny day to enjoy the sun I ended up stressing about trying to fix that sunroof and put it back into places since it wouldn't close correctly, arrgh!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 PM

hmm lets c i recently bought an 01 SE auto
- i hate the vibrations i feel during the initial acceleration from a dead stop (hope its not a tranny problem)
- the ride's too bouncy. Im guessing its the old suspension or maybe that's how the ride's suppose to be...dunno but its annoying...specially those "mini consecutive bounces"
- noisy interior....saw a fix for it today so hoping it fixes that issue
- small turn radius
- 20 mpg !
- check engine sign came on today out of nowhere!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by denny_1986
hmm lets c i recently bought an 01 SE auto
- i hate the vibrations i feel during the initial acceleration from a dead stop (hope its not a tranny problem)
- the ride's too bouncy. Im guessing its the old suspension or maybe that's how the ride's suppose to be...dunno but its annoying...specially those "mini consecutive bounces"
- noisy interior....saw a fix for it today so hoping it fixes that issue
- small turn radius
- 20 mpg !
- check engine sign came on today out of nowhere!

you don't like the small turning radius?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 PM

this:
Originally Posted by Dark99GLE
Grandmas love my car
Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by fat_kid
you don't like the small turning radius?
lol u know what i meant!. being an X sentra owner, im still not fully adjusted to the maxima's turning radius!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:42 PM

Yes, turn Radi are not good. BUT not as bad as my buddy's '89 Toyota tacoma v6 truck (almost took out a pole today, as I'm not used to it.)
Old 02-03-2009, 01:44 PM

I hate how quickly the clear coat just goes away (actually peeled some off in sheets after a good rain)
Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 PM

I also hate that when I'm finally set on searching for a 2000-2003 5 gen, My mechanic friend says "stay away, you'll be buying coil packs galore and o2 sensors". Then I read all the info on these issues on the forum and think "Hmmm, maybe I should fix the tranny in my 90 gxe
Old 02-05-2009, 03:58 PM

I hate the clever way they positioned the knock sensor.

I'd rather screw with a Rubic's Cube than replace that again.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 AM

I hate the infamous rattling noise that occurs during 2000-3000RPM's. Soudns like a can of ricks in ym engine :/. wish there was a quick fix
Old 02-13-2009, 12:38 PM

the glass trannys that the 6spd 5.5gens come with.....and the turning radius is the worse
Old 02-15-2009, 11:41 AM

i hate how my trunk rattles like a b*tch when im bumpin my system
Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 AM

I wish i could find a rear window visor smh
Old 02-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the atena goes up when i turn on the radio...it makes me feel like my car is older than it really is. lol and when i listen to cd's on the bose hu it doesnt play all the time & says "error"
but other than that im content...so far. lol
Old 02-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Not having a cup holder is a real pain... Not really any room for an aftermarket one ether.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:54 PM

axles.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:32 PM

Hmmm....for my current two 5.5 gens:

- Turning radius that regularly requires me to throw it in reverse unless I'm in the middle of a 400-acre cow pasture or something
- How the dead pedal and the Maxima logo on the floormat isn't made to stay on well
- Interior plastics suck
- Instrument panel backlighting in 5th gens is too dim
- As much as I love them, they're FWD and it shows :-(
- No sports shift on 5.5 gens equipped with AT....Nissan was behind the times on this
- The weird, alien-esque noise the interior lights make when they dim
- How the coating on the Nissan emblem on the engine peels and bubbles up (5.5+)
- On my black 2003, there is a broken bracket from a previous exhaust setup, which makes my stock exhaust make a metal "ping" when I drive over rough bumps (from the pipe shimmying back and forth)
- Sucky safety rating....if I'm gonna drive a 4-door, it might as well be safe, right?
- When you set the heat / AC to blow at your feet, it blows too far back behind the pedals to really feel
- No illuminated steering wheel buttons

....But I could compile a list ten times as long with the things I love about them!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:09 PM

Since I've owned my Max for 3 months now, guess I can add to this *****ing post

1. I look like I'm carrying a trunk full of concrete blocks
2. Nose in the air
3. Hard to shift into 2nd and sometimes up into 3rd
4. I'll join everybody else about the turning radius sucking @ss
5. Here's my favorite: It just turned over 100K, and I think just about everything expensive is due for replacing AT THE SAME FRIGGIN TIME!

Other than that, not too bad. But I don't see it lasting as long as my '97 Altima has.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
Don't get me wrong, I love my maxima to death, but there are some things about it that **** me off beyond belief. Feel free to air your maxima pet peeves here!

1. I have a 6-speed TE with those metal pedals. They look cool, but when it rains, beware... When I get in the car, the bottoms of my shoes will be wet from the rain, and when I go to press the clutch in... SLIP!!! My foot slips off the clutch and the car jerks like a motherfreaker. And this will happen until the water dries up. I hate that! I gotta make sure i carry paper towels to wipe off the bottoms of my shoes to dry them before I start driving

2. When I'm in first or second gear at low speeds (say 2nd gear at 20 mph) and I let off the throttle, the car will jerk. I can't stand that! Why!? I heard it was because of the drive by wire throttle... but what's the freakin point!? A quicker throttle response? Give me a .324 second slower response from a cable throttle if it means being able to take my foot off the gas without that gotdamn jerk!

3. What the hell is up with this freakin turn radius on the 5.5 gens? I swear I could turn a tractor trailer better than this gotdamn thing. I was coming from owning a 5th gen, expecting everything was the same... so I go to make my daily u-turn at the end of my block, and... SURPRISE! I almost hit a parked car! I had to re-configure my whole u-turn judgment. I'm still mad that I can't cut those quick u-turns that most cars can.

So needless to say, I'm having a pretty bad day when it's raining, and I'm driving slow while making constant u-turns...

haha hell ya to number 3! i got an 5th gen se it turns worse then a huge caddy its terrible lol but i love the damn thing
Old 02-17-2009, 06:36 PM

Bose crap is a pain to replace, they should at least give you RCA outs for subs in the back of the deck

Radio steering wheel control difficult to maintain without rediculous pacswi install during aftermarket radio

gas mileage/engine performs much differently between 87 and 93

tiny triangular rear windows hard to tint

haha all this is so petty, i LOVE my max
Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 PM

i hate doing rear brake pads and rotors, i hate that stupid block tool used to get the rear caliper piston back in. and the rear caliper just loves to lock up. i hate starter problems, good thing for me i have a stick and i can clutch start it. high @ss shifter i had to cut, like i was driving a truck before. and i agree with trooplewis, that knock sensor is a PITA sheeesh

Last edited by JAMAICANLOVRBOY; 02-17-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by rysieksmok
things that annoy me about my 5.5 gen

-when my radios off i can actually hear at least 10 diff things rattling / clinking from the hood to the trunk.
-you can be making 20mpg but as soon as you punch it the gas dropsssss
-the foglights arent HID
-half the lights on the climate dont light up
-no stock supercharger. even the buick offers a super charger on the regal wtf?!!?!
-no full size spare
-when stock, the engine and exhaust sound too quiet and wimpy
-loosing steering wheel controls w/ after market radio
-no curtain on the rear window or side rear
-wish it was rear wheel drive
-literal dual exhaust not the fake two pipes next to each other
-stock blueish tint on the windows like bmw have
-stock automatic starter
-4 the automatics to at least have tiptronic since so few were fully manual
-wider stock tires
-to have an se-r version. wtf man a pos sentra and wanna be fast 3.5 altima come in se-r but the big daddy maxima doesnt???????? those ****** f*d up. it would be awosme if they made the 5.5 with an se-r package including 3.8 L v8 supersharged 335hp i bet the 0-60 on that would be at most 5.3 sec vs. like stock 6.3 but i geus japanese engineers rather promote civics claiming to have 1000 hp and quad turbos with nitro boost and 5ft tall wings with glitter in the paint and super racing rims with super slicks on . LOL im exaggaterating.. but u all kno what im talking about.

what i like/love about it
- 5.5 looks alot like the older skyline
-keeps up with snobby kids in their dads benz and beemers
-almost never need to worry about loosing in a race except when racing an 09 maxima. i test drove one and it is RAWWWWW
-great braking (i use hawk)
good headlights
-looks aggresive evn tho its 4door
-lots of room overall
-feels safe... especially in a blizzard going 110 on the highway (thank god for blizzaks)
-titanium coated gears on the trans. adds that extra toughness
-its around 7 years old but still keeps up with 98% of any 4 door sedan i come across
-warms up in ten minutes in -10 F weather
-its been my realistic dream car ever since it came out. ive had mine for a year and its better than all my friends cars. hehehhehe
awesome
Old 02-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Banned

whoever said the maxima has great braking has got to be joking
Old 02-19-2009, 06:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

nothing pisses me off, but i don't like when i wash it and have to go through all four door jambs and trunk to get all the water spray
Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 AM

i think the Oil dip stick has to be the hardest dip stick to read iv'e ever seen. No matter what i do the thing is always covered in oil, unreadable
Old 02-28-2009, 08:44 PM

The only thing i dont like about maxima is that lower end torque ! i mean it goes pretty fast but from a stop, it is slow ! i can kill a tl if we are rolling at 30km/h but if we race from a stop then tl kills maxima !
Old 02-28-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by mohsinkhan35
The only thing i dont like about maxima is that lower end torque ! i mean it goes pretty fast but from a stop, it is slow ! i can kill a tl if we are rolling at 30km/h but if we race from a stop then tl kills maxima !
Huh? You're not mixing up a Maxima with a Honda, are you?

My VQ30 is torquey as hell, and can burn rubber through second gear.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by nalc
Huh? You're not mixing up a Maxima with a Honda, are you?

My VQ30 is torquey as hell, and can burn rubber through second gear.
No i am not ! unfortunately i was getting a good deal for auto transmission for a 2004 SL, and i couldn't say no . i have to turn off VDC so i can burn sum rubber before take off but otherwise from a stop its not fun !
Old 03-06-2009, 09:59 AM

When i do a full turn and it pops.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:43 PM

I wish that the 5.5 Gens were offered in either two tone or maybe red. But I'll fix that soon. Also, not crazy about the wide turning radius either.

Last edited by Maxgig; 03-31-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:47 PM

that its 5x as hard to do the simplest things on it than any other norm car
Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
Don't get me wrong, I love my maxima to death, but there are some things about it that **** me off beyond belief. Feel free to air your maxima pet peeves here!

1. I have a 6-speed TE with those metal pedals. They look cool, but when it rains, beware... When I get in the car, the bottoms of my shoes will be wet from the rain, and when I go to press the clutch in... SLIP!!! My foot slips off the clutch and the car jerks like a motherfreaker. And this will happen until the water dries up. I hate that! I gotta make sure i carry paper towels to wipe off the bottoms of my shoes to dry them before I start driving

2. When I'm in first or second gear at low speeds (say 2nd gear at 20 mph) and I let off the throttle, the car will jerk. I can't stand that! Why!? I heard it was because of the drive by wire throttle... but what's the freakin point!? A quicker throttle response? Give me a .324 second slower response from a cable throttle if it means being able to take my foot off the gas without that gotdamn jerk!

3. What the hell is up with this freakin turn radius on the 5.5 gens? I swear I could turn a tractor trailer better than this gotdamn thing. I was coming from owning a 5th gen, expecting everything was the same... so I go to make my daily u-turn at the end of my block, and... SURPRISE! I almost hit a parked car! I had to re-configure my whole u-turn judgment. I'm still mad that I can't cut those quick u-turns that most cars can.

So needless to say, I'm having a pretty bad day when it's raining, and I'm driving slow while making constant u-turns...
Haha #3 QFT, I hate the turn radius with a passion
Old 03-08-2009, 04:13 AM

Things I'd like to fix asap when winter ends are:

- Rattling noise (sounds like keys hitting against each other) coming from under the glove compartment. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the heater. You know when you turn the heat on it switches over. Well one cold morning I decided to turn the heat on and it had a hard time switching over so now I think it came loose or something. Pretty weird, but I will fix it once it gets warmer. I seriously hope it's as easy as removing the glove compartment without removing the dash.

- The thumping noise!!!!!! The noise comes from the drivers side. It can't be the axle because I replaced it a while back ago and it still made the noise even before I got it replaced. When I push down on the car I can hear it so that's how I know it's on the drivers side. And whenever I accelerate or slow down on low speeds it repeats itself until the car isn't moving any more. I am going to take a look at this today! Hopefully something is loose so I can just tighten it.

- Cracked pass heated mirror. A friend was removing one of those circle little mirrors (I never understood them stupid little ****z. All they do is take up space and are useless!) and somehow managed to crack it. When I tried I took it out with ease. I'm looking at a $60 bill from CourtesyNissan.com

- Both drivers and passengers fender have a rust spot which i need to replace. Hopefully I can afford to repaint my car this year and get 2 used fenders while I'm at it.

- Sunroof is a pos. I can't manage to fix the rubber insert around it so I'm trying to figure out if there actually is a way to fix it. I also need to adjust the sunroof so it sits flush, but once again, when the days get warmer I'll attempt this.

- Car being constantly dirty all the time due to this crappy weather. I hate living in New England. Except in the spring, summer, and fall are when it's best compared to other states.

That's pretty much it.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:03 PM

on my 90 se

no order

the auto seatbelts
madddd wheel gap, "chevy riding high".... more like maxy riding high
the spoiler on it, now the trunk is all rusted to hell
interior lights
trunk rattle when i listen to music with some bass. or when hitting a bump on the road.
not much aftermarket support
fwd imo
clock dims for no apperant reason. if i tap it, it light up again
brake and clutch pedals are too thin, well for me atleast
fog lights glass is always getting broken

other than that i love the car to deffff

Last edited by vgkid; 03-08-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What I hate in my 95 Maxima is that the tailights don't work but my brake and tail lights do work, can't figure out the problem but I'm thinking its the headlight switch, I've already checked the fuses. BlaH
Old 03-09-2009, 01:12 PM

i hate the fact that the rear suspension makes that damn noise over bumps. and i got new susp. wtf is that? a bushing or somethin.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i hate how i just replaced my injectors with a nicely-ohm'd rail in october and in february suddenly 3 failed in the course of a week.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by vgkid
on my 90 se

no order

the auto seatbelts me too
madddd wheel gap, "chevy riding high".... more like maxy riding high and it's alot higher in front. looks like you're doing a drag launch even when stopped
the spoiler on it, now the trunk is all rusted to hell i added one but it's not fastened on the ends
interior lights
trunk rattle when i listen to music with some bass. or when hitting a bump on the road.
not much aftermarket support especially for suspension stuff
fwd imo
clock dims for no apperant reason. if i tap it, it light up again heh, i've gone through 4 clocks
brake and clutch pedals are too thin, well for me atleast i think the clutch and brake are too close togehther. then again it might be my fault, i did a 5spd swap and had to drill my own holes.
fog lights glass is always getting broken

other than that i love the car to deffff
wat.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 PM

Haha one of the things I definitely hate is how easy the car gets dirty inside and out. I can vacuum and clean the hell out of my car, but after one or two days it gets all dusty

The sun roof keeps breaking! But its not the whole thing only the little metal hook on the rail along the driver's side, and I was told I needed to replace the whole sunroof or the rails but I don't know how to do it!

The brakes screech like a crazy mother ******, but it usually happens when it rains or right after I wash the rims and get water into the brakes

Quick Reply: Things that piss you off about your maxima!