General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Things that piss you off about your maxima!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 AM

The cabin noise omg..
Old 03-29-2014, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
The cabin noise omg..
I love the cabin noise, nothing but pure sex! Love the sound of that VQ.

If you have cabin noise, that simply means your car isn't loud enough and needs more mods!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 PM

The rear quarter rust over the back wheels. The drivers door panel has a slight rattle when radio is loud. The bose speaker below the rear windshield should give more bass. The directional doesn't turn off when competing a turn. Put brand new monroe quick struts all around and still bangs on every little Bump. Slight tick from engine resonates off the wall at the drive through and sounds really loud. The stupid California emissions catalytic converter has about a dozen weld patches and a whole tube of jb weld on it but they want 800 to replace it. Feels like I'm dragging an anchor in first gear. The cardboard over the spare tire sags causing a dip in the center of my trunk. The headlights are so dim I keep checking to make sure they're on. I see no difference with the fog lights on and off. The drivers wiper squeaks across the glass no matter what brand wiper I used. Traced the problem to a bad wiper transmission but the 3 nuts and bolts that hold each side of our in just spin so I'm gonna have to cut them off some day. If sun roof is open on the highway at all there's a low frequency sound wave tone that numbs my ear drums. A freezing cold breeze blows in through my inside door handles. The sunglasses holder is too small. The cup holder insert grabs my coffee cup and comes out with the cup when I lift it sending what ever is in the other cup holder flying. I think that's all. Sometimes the key won't turn in the trunk lock either
Old 04-02-2014, 09:32 AM

1. WHEELGAP!!
2. The 2002-2003 4AT
3. The absolutely high quality finish Nissan paint
4. Rear suspension

Before you read what appears to be a ranting about some of the biggest flaws of my car I feel are worth rambling on about, I advise you to keep in mind that despite the major pitfalls of owning this car, I love this car to death. It was my first car, and by far the best. A love/hate relationship would best describe my feelings toward the maxima. However, despite these major personal nuisances, I wouldn't trade anything for this car short of a G35/350z or a manual 5.5. Read on for the rant.

(1)Where to start...the wheel gap for one is absolutely horrendous. A 4dsc is portrayed as a 4x4 with its tremendous spacing between the front tires and the wheel well. The excuse for ground clearance doesn't work as BMW's have minimal wheel gap and a lower ride height without any issues. Maybe the gap is to make up for the ridiculously soft springs used in the car.

(2)The 4AT. A complete abomination simply put. Made for comfort...rightttt, so the constant shifting or should I say jolting between 2-3 and 3-4 trying to pass people without going crazy is Nissan's idea of luxury? Maybe if you had more speeds to work with, we could probably decrease our 60 mph times by a little. Oh, and the slippage at WOT, yeah don't even get me started on that.

(3)The paint, or should I say, what appears to be a thin layer of such, is so brittle that it is comparable to a daily driven beater car's paint after just a casual day of Sunday highway driving. The craters on the moon best resembling what little paint remains on my front bumper speaks for itself.

(4)The back trampoline, uhm sorry backseat, is like a fun house when going over even the smallest of speed bumps. Add two relatively sized teenagers in the back, and its more like a trampoline that has aged beyond any viable use. Going over speed bumps feels as if the car may bottom out due to the excessively weak spring/strut combo courtesy of Nissan. Don't mention the near almost slammed tucking of rear wheels look when you actually get on the gas, my phone's gyroscope freaks out already. The stock rear springs feels as if they have a 10lbs / inch spring rate.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:27 AM

I had 2 maximas, an 00' and an 02'

-00 motor had lots of sound, but weak power
-02 motor was strong a f*ck, but burnt 1L of oil every week
-horrible turning radius (both)
-rust on rear wheel wells (both)
-disintegrated rad support (both)
-bose stereo constantly cutting in/out (both)
-wheel gap (both)
-jerky and uncomfortable 1st & 2nd gears (both)
-02's ABS system just sh*t the bed one day and was impossible to fix
-bouncy suspension, handles like a loaf of bread. feel like im out of control at normal highway speeds (both)
-parts would just fail on the 00' every month. I owned it for not even a year before totaling it at 170,000km and I had to replace the whole exhaust chain cause of rust, a MAF sensor, the radiator, the alternator, the tie rods, the starter. Like man youre just driving along and some new and exciting noise starts happening and youre like "sweet how much is this gonna cost me Nissan?"

ya i eventually got fed up and sold the 02 to my dad to use as a winter beater. Bought a different car. done with nissans tbh. only one that would get my attention from now on would be a g35 or 350z. assuming they DONT BURN OIL

i will say though, every time I go to my parents house and see my black/black 02 in the driveway, all blacked out and sexy i think to myself 'god DAMN that car looks gangster'

then i remember all the stress/headaches it caused me...

Last edited by viking89; 04-02-2014 at 11:44 AM.