Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

New to Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 02:30 PM

New to Nitrous

I was just wondering about how much it would be for me to run a 50 shot on an 02 SE (VQ35de), wet or dry whichever is safest, with all the components to make it as safe and reliable and trouble free would be. I don't have anything, so i would need the whole works. And if there are parts like a wideband A/F guage that would be "recommended" for safety i would like to get those types of things as well. I know this is extremely vague and i sound like an ediot, but i am when it comes to nitrous so it would be great if any of you guys could help.
Thanks
Old 12-15-2006, 03:43 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by IloveVQ
I was just wondering about how much it would be for me to run a 50 shot on an 02 SE (VQ35de), wet or dry whichever is safest, with all the components to make it as safe and reliable and trouble free would be. I don't have anything, so i would need the whole works. And if there are parts like a wideband A/F guage that would be "recommended" for safety i would like to get those types of things as well. I know this is extremely vague and i sound like an ediot, but i am when it comes to nitrous so it would be great if any of you guys could help.
Thanks
A NX wet kit will work reliably. Try this link for kits:

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/Importmain.htm

and go through their web site. Lots of details and hints.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Under the radar

sounds like your willing to put safety in front of have boost so thats good. a 50 shot would most likely be fine in a wet kit. thats what i have on my max although its a 99 se. if you went the dry kit route youd probably want to get a better fuel pump and some gauges to make sure you dont boost to lean. i have a NX kit and havent had any problems at all with it in 1 1/2 yrs. and 5 bottles (although ive never gone above a 50 shot).

hope this little bit of info helps

-Colin
Old 12-16-2006, 06:29 AM
Turbo 3.5

if you are only planing to spray a 50shot then get a fuel pressure cut-off switch or fuel pressure gauge so you'll know when your pump is going down
Old 12-16-2006, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Its really helpful. I am now wondering if i get the NX wet kit with a 50 shot, if i could get A pillar guages and what those guages should be. Obviously a FPS would be good, but what else would help tell me if i need to stop boosting. also i was wondering where to get this stuff. Is it only possible to spray at WOT or can you have a master button that when pressed just sprays no matter what. is there some sort of safety thing having to do with only spraying at WOT, besides the fact that that is probably when you want more power?
Finally, have you guys adjusted your timing and if so, how did you do it?
Thanks a lot.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:53 AM
NAS

n2o should only be used at wot, kits come with a micro switch that you can wire up to activate at wot that way you dont have to worry about pushing a button, for some gauge options my place of choice is www.dynotunenitrous.com they are very helpfull also.

places to get "stuff" ebay, dynotune, Jason from importcarparts in group deal, NOPI see sticky at top of nitrous forum-thats were I got my NX wet kit $433 shiped to my door. I have not adjusted timing or use a fuel press gauge, my whole setup consists of
NX EFI WET (50shot btw)
NX remote bottle opener
Dynotune bottle heater and digital square n2o pressure gauge
NGK BKR6E 1 step colder
hopes of doing a wideband AFR in a test pipe then adding an SAFCII, and the http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8426/
Old 12-18-2006, 01:51 PM

Just a couple more questions. With the purge kit, do you close the bottle, and hold the purge button/switch whatever until the vapor stops coming out or what? Also, i have a berk intake and was wonering where i should mount the nozzle/jet in the intake path. I was looking at the fps cutoff on the dinotunenitrous website and it looks pretty cool but it tells you to specify what pressure you wany it to cut off at when you order. Does anyone know about what fuel pressure would be a safe cutoff point? also how/where do you tap into the fuel line to run it to the fuel soleniod? and one last thing... does anyone know if nitrous is illegal in minnesota? i should have asked this before but i didnt think about it.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2006, 03:25 PM
NAS

purge is to get more liquid notrous in the line before you intend to go baby go-bottle open. nozzle is always mounted in the intake path after MAF about 2-8 inches before throttle body, wet or dry applications. I tapped into fuel line right after fuel filter with a fuel T(most kits come with one but you might need to improvise with fuel line or new T), you want filtered fuel of course. for laws you could check findlaw.com, they might have info, or searce .gov sites.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by NAS
purge is to get more liquid notrous in the line before you intend to go baby go-bottle open. nozzle is always mounted in the intake path after MAF about 2-8 inches before throttle body, wet or dry applications. I tapped into fuel line right after fuel filter with a fuel T(most kits come with one but you might need to improvise with fuel line or new T), you want filtered fuel of course. for laws you could check findlaw.com, they might have info, or searce .gov sites.
Thanks. Should i mount the nozzle in the metal pipe or in one of the silicone couplers? also, once you close the bottle, should you purge the line or not.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Under the radar

i would highly recommend getting the gauge from think geek. i have it and it works great. you can set it up to show four different gauges in one. i have my on fps, throttle position, intake air temp, and mpg. heres a pic of it mounted to the left of the console. with it being so small it is surprisingly easy to read.

To IloveVQ: mount it in the metal, heres a pic of how i mounted mine also how the selonids are mounted. also once you close the bottle ive always cleared my lines. i dont have a purge, but i just arm the system and engage it untill the nitrous it out of the lines.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:25 PM

I am looking at gauges and cant seem to find the pressure gauge that goes on the valve of the bottle. also i am looking at gauges to put in the cockpit such as an a/f guage and a nitrous pressure gauge. Is there any need to be concerned about running lean or backfires with a wet shot? if you dont have a nitrous pressure gauge in the cockpit how do you know when to turn your bottle heater on or off?
Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Under the radar

I am looking at gauges and cant seem to find the pressure gauge that goes on the valve of the bottle. also i am looking at gauges to put in the cockpit such as an a/f guage and a nitrous pressure gauge. Is there any need to be concerned about running lean or backfires with a wet shot? if you dont have a nitrous pressure gauge in the cockpit how do you know when to turn your bottle heater on or off?
Thanks

once again i come to the rescue hahahaha just joking man. bottle heaters have a pressure switch which you can adjust to a certain psi setting. once it hits the optimal pressure the heater turns off. thats my basic understanding of the bottle heaters (i dont have one...... yet). as for the pressure gauge that goes on the bottle heres a site to get one http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=143
im not sure if thats the cheapest out there but its a reliable company to order from. for your starter gauges i would get a psi gauge that mounts on the bottle, and the scan gauge II from www.thinkgeek.com. as for running lean or having a back fire with a wet 50 shot, i wouldnt worry to much, the stock fuel pump can handle up to a 100 shot or so ive been told although not to smart. one thing you should do is go with a step one or two colder plug. any more info just ask. happy boosting

peace
-Colin
Old 12-25-2006, 11:42 AM

Does anyone know anything about the dyno tune nitrous kits that they sell. they seem to look like good quality, but i dont want to get something that isnt a reputed dealer or kit. If anyone knows about the company please let me know.
Thanks
Old 12-25-2006, 06:37 PM

Does anyone know anything about the dyno tune nitrous kits that they sell. they seem to look like good quality, but i dont want to get something that isnt a reputed dealer or kit. If anyone knows about the company please let me know.
Thanks
They are good at what they do. their bottle warmers are great, along with purge. btw if ur interested i have bottle warmer and purge for sale =)
Old 12-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Under the radar

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
They are good at what they do. their bottle warmers are great, along with purge. btw if ur interested i have bottle warmer and purge for sale =)

hey man pm on the price and stats of the warmer im in the market for one.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:03 AM

Thanks. I dont know if you thought i meant their accesories, but i was thinking more about their complete kits, like the wet kit from NX. is their any reason i should pay the extra 200 dollars or so for the NX kit instead?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Under the radar

its really there name, and reputation id say. i have NX and havent had any problems at all through 1 1/2 yrs and 5 bottles.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:21 PM

Could i wire a button to activate the nitrous so that it would only work when the system is armed and the WOT switch is depressed. How would i have to wire it to do that?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:56 PM

Could i wire a button to activate the nitrous so that it would only work when the system is armed and the WOT switch is depressed. How would i have to wire it to do that?
With the NX wet kit(which is the best for our cars,ask any experenced Maxima owner who sprays for example JIME)theres a switch that turns the system on, but does not spray. To spray nitrous, the system switch has to be on and the WOT switch has to be depressed. Because our car is drive-by-wire, the best and maybe only place to put the WOT switch is under the gas pedal, which is where mine is. My WOT switch clicks at the exact same time as the pedals hit the floor (dont know how it turned out so perfectly).

By the way everybody i know, who says that they only want to run a 50 shot, ends up with more. I took mine 50 shot out after 1 run and put a 75 shot in and have used it ever since. I could REALLY feal the hit untill the 75 shot.

All I have is the NX wet kit, the GENX2 kit, and DONT FORGET to change the plugs out to non-Platium tip(mine are in my sig). I have never had a problem, runs great evertime!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:11 PM

after running nos, did anyone mess with the timming? it's recomemded to do, but we got coil packs. all the timming mods have to be through ecu programing. so it's not as easy as a distributor car.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Under the radar

nope i havent touched the timing on my car. Just a step colder plug, some gauges,and wet 50 shot, start with that and i think you will be happy.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 PM

cool what's a colder plug, change gap size, diffrent style, please explain.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:14 PM
1337 BR Max

I'm also thinking about using NX kit, but mine's gonna be a 65 wet shot. My friends frosty and SPiG told me to be careful with that and to probably get a better fuel pump if I even consider doing so. I'm kinda wary about doing the nitrous myself; however, it hasn't stopped me from researching into it some more.

Why do so many people say NOS instead nitrous? NOS is a company, not a gas.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by [h2k]DotheDU
I'm also thinking about using NX kit, but mine's gonna be a 65 wet shot. My friends frosty and SPiG told me to be careful with that and to probably get a better fuel pump if I even consider doing so. I'm kinda wary about doing the nitrous myself; however, it hasn't stopped me from researching into it some more.

Why do so many people say NOS instead nitrous? NOS is a company, not a gas.
NOS just sounds cooler. That way you can pretend you are in the fast and the furious...
Old 02-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by now gs
cool what's a colder plug, change gap size, diffrent style, please explain.
go to ngk's site it will explain everything
Old 02-03-2007, 01:18 PM

Sounds like you are an expert

Sounds like you're not new!
Old 02-06-2007, 03:34 PM

quick question guys, my max has 170k miles on it. its a 95 and havent had any real problems with it other then normal wear and tear. do u think i should run nitrous? and how big of a shot. right now i have a y pipe and cattman cai intake.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:27 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by black95max
quick question guys, my max has 170k miles on it. its a 95 and havent had any real problems with it other then normal wear and tear. do u think i should run nitrous? and how big of a shot. right now i have a y pipe and cattman cai intake.
I am running nitrous and I have 172,000
Old 02-07-2007, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by babymac
I am running nitrous and I have 172,000
how big of a shot are u running and what do u have done to your car?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:21 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by black95max
how big of a shot are u running and what do u have done to your car?

Right now a 55 zex wet shot , but plan on going up to a 75 shot. I have a Y-pipe and B-pipe thats it for the mods.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Turbo 3.5

144,000 miles, running a zex dry kit wiith a 65shot .. will run a 75 or 85shot this year at the track

best time: 2.0-60ft and a 14.3=1/4mile
Old 04-10-2007, 10:16 PM
1337 BR Max

NOS just sounds cooler. That way you can pretend you are in the fast and the furious...

Yes, GG The Fast and the Furious and it's riced out maxima.