Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

First ever Rear Mounted Turbo maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by Tatanko
But WHY RISK IT? I cannot understand how cheap some of you must be. You have like $1000 worth of parts, not to mention your engine, at risk here if water does get in. Why not spend the completely insignificant amount of money to protect all that?
I am not trying to be cheap or justify it, I am just saying people are running this setup everyday whether the cone is mounted up front or back and what ever you do do not think you are superman and watch out for puddles
Old 01-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You'd probably have water coming through the doors before that thing would be able to suck up enough water to hurt the engine. It will get dirty fast though.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
You'd probably have water coming through the doors before that thing would be able to suck up enough water to hurt the engine. It will get dirty fast though.
finally a correct observed opinion! Some of you guys swear that driving in the rain with this cone there will hydrolock the motor come on! if you have a CAI and no fog light at the bumper opening... its the exact same thing. The cone would need to be submerged a certain amount in order for that to take place. Which mtcookson is right, water will get into the cabin if you drive into water deep enough for that to happen.

The only real issue here is how dirty that filter is going to get. Imagine how dirty your car gets in a few days of highway driving.... now picture that amount of dust/dirt on the filter, lol. Yea thats more of an issue than hydrolocking
Old 01-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Bacon Lover

I'm not so much concerned about hydrolocking as I am about ruining other components.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Turbo 3.5

I am worried about a turbo being splashed with cold water, although it does not happen much but engine blocks have been known to crack .. rocks are a easy fix with some kind of plate to cover it and dirt here is a easy fix buy 2 reusable filters and rotate them every week or so
Old 01-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by t6378tp
I am worried about a turbo being splashed with cold water, although it does not happen much but engine blocks have been known to crack .. rocks are a easy fix with some kind of plate to cover it and dirt here is a easy fix buy 2 reusable filters and rotate them every week or so
Sounds like a lot of work when you could just relocate it and be done with it A shield is a must if I'm going to do this setup.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Custom User Title

I was also going to recommend rounting the filter into the trunk.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:44 AM
Turbo 3.5

Well whatever he does is ok atleast he finally put a cone on the thing. I really just want to see how well the setup holds and what kind of #'s he'll put down.

Oh and looks like the gm boys with rear mounted turbos are running smaller units for less lag and there was already a thread in 2005 about this same thing
Old 01-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Bacon Lover

Oh and looks like the gm boys with rear mounted turbos are running smaller units for less lag and there was already a thread in 2005 about this same thing
Which "GM boys"? That doesn't really narrow it down much. I hang around with a lot of knowledgeable people from the W-body crew, and they never mentioned anything about it when I asked them.

A thread in 2005? On the .org?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:48 AM

Yea there was a thread a while back about this concept.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by nismology
Yea there was a thread a while back about this concept.
Only one I could find was from this past Oct. in the 6th gen forum.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:59 AM

no it was mentioned here on the FI forum. I remember it. Most people were knocking the idea down, saying that there would be insane lag, that it wont spool until 6grand, thus making it useless for us, the oil would never work, bla bla bla.... until streetz injectors broke, and i had Z32 injectors and a turbo laying around... "hey man screw it, lets try it out. If it works then great, if it doesnt then its not hard at all to put it back the way it was".. ah memories :-D lol
Old 01-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
no it was mentioned here on the FI forum. I remember it. Most people were knocking the idea down, saying that there would be insane lag, that it wont spool until 6grand, thus making it useless for us, the oil would never work, bla bla bla.... until streetz injectors broke, and i had Z32 injectors and a turbo laying around... "hey man screw it, lets try it out. If it works then great, if it doesnt then its not hard at all to put it back the way it was".. ah memories :-D lol
I'll keep looking.

Either way, pioneers are what this forum needs more of
Old 01-13-2007, 01:48 PM

Sorry i have not posted, i was in another city (tampa) for business (which is great news for me). anyways, well i might not relotcate it, but i will be putting some kind of shield on it, i still have the stock heat shield that goes above the muffler. i might somehow use that to cover the turbo or the filter. Someone in a thread related to rear mounts contacted Garrett and asked if a turbo will crack if it got splashed with water, the response was NO. The only way you can crack a turbo under its hottest temp is if you remove it and dip it in a bucket of water instantly. but splanshing water will not cause any crack, if anything, it will cool it down.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Turbo 3.5

here's the link :
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=383154&page=3
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=383154
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...roducts-3.html

nice to hear that if the turbo gets wet even at it's hottest it will not crack, so you just in a shield and a k/n sock for wet weather driving
Old 01-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Bacon Lover

here's the link :
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=383154&page=3
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=383154
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...roducts-3.html

nice to hear that if the turbo gets wet even at it's hottest it will not crack, so you just in a shield and a k/n sock for wet weather driving
Thanks.

Hearing it straight from Garrett definitely puts my mind at ease.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:21 AM

If I were to do a turbo, IF I were to turbo, It would be mounted in the engine bad. I would predict alot of power lower, charge effiency loss, from such a longg "charge pipe".

How much tubing, in feet, did you use from the TB to the rear of the car ?? Theres ALOT of charge effiecency thats lost in that long of a tube.

Think of it this was. Guys going from the stock stillen charge pipe design, to a front mount tube acrost the front of the car lose 1.5lbs of boost. Thats a considerable amount of loss by just adding a bit of tubing, and not even an intercooler.

Definetly Kudos on the setup, and im not bashing you in any way, but definetly somthing to think about for all you guys dreaming of boost

-matt
Old 01-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by matty
If I were to do a turbo, IF I were to turbo, It would be mounted in the engine bad. I would predict alot of power lower, charge effiency loss, from such a longg "charge pipe".

How much tubing, in feet, did you use from the TB to the rear of the car ?? Theres ALOT of charge effiecency thats lost in that long of a tube.

Think of it this was. Guys going from the stock stillen charge pipe design, to a front mount tube acrost the front of the car lose 1.5lbs of boost. Thats a considerable amount of loss by just adding a bit of tubing, and not even an intercooler.

Definetly Kudos on the setup, and im not bashing you in any way, but definetly somthing to think about for all you guys dreaming of boost

-matt
Think of it this way, Matt. I'd never in a million years have the kind of money to do a full engine bay-based setup on my Maxima (or if I did, I wouldn't want to), but I do (or will) have the money for a rear-mount. The way I see it, 6 PSI from a rear-mount > 0 PSI from an engine bay turbo that doesn't exist

Also, that long charge piping does cause a pressure drop, but it also cools the air much like an intercooler would, offsetting it a little bit.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by matty

-matt
He can turn up the boost to make up for it. And at 5 PSI he's already faster than 95% of the maximas on this board easily and this is only the beginning.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Turbo 3.5

sts said the long charge feed is good for a average of 1psi drop ... but who cares less your trying to get every last drop out the turbo

like tatanko 6psi is better than 0psi cause you can not afford or do not want to dump alot of money into your car
Old 01-14-2007, 08:00 AM

sts said the long charge feed is good for a average of 1psi drop ... but who cares less your trying to get every last drop out the turbo

like tatanko 6psi is better than 0psi cause you can not afford or do not want to dump alot of money into your car
Exactly. Boost is better than no boost and with a turbo you can just turn it up to compensate for the piping.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:26 PM

What I don't get is how everyone was against this concept, and ran out and bought a PFI kit. The piping from the engine to the turbo is the same length with less (and not as harsh) bends. The PFI kit has about 7ft. of piping between the engine and the turbo. Couple that with a 180 degree bend after the flexpipe and your efficiency goes right out of the window. Yet, the kit gets great results. This system has about the same 7 ft of piping, minus the harsh bend. With exception of the extended charge piping, my vote goes to this setup as being more efficient than the PFI. The forward y setup is still the most efficient thus far.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by NightRider
What I don't get is how everyone was against this concept, and ran out and bought a PFI kit. The piping from the engine to the turbo is the same length with less (and not as harsh) bends. The PFI kit has about 7ft. of piping between the engine and the turbo. Couple that with a 180 degree bend after the flexpipe and your efficiency goes right out of the window. Yet, the kit gets great results. This system has about the same 7 ft of piping, minus the harsh bend. With exception of the extended charge piping, my vote goes to this setup as being more efficient than the PFI. The forward y setup is still the most efficient thus far.
I agree, because for a front mount setup. you have to have a lot of bends and turns. I only have about 3 or 4 90degree bends and everything else is straight pipe.

Matty- yes i understand what your saying, but the pressure loss is not THAT much. i have a 7.25psi spring on my wastegate, and on my gauge im showing 5psi, this is with a leaking BOV (i have to add some washers so it dosnt open up under pressure), i expect to have about 6psi with the BOV fixed. but even then, if i did loose 2.25psi, i am still very satisfied with the setup. like nismology said, this is only the beginning. already received boost controler, should be installing 255 pump soon, and do meth, water, w/e injection i go with.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:14 PM

did you talk to doug about the meth injection?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:46 PM

I just thought about the trunk mount filter... has anyone thought of how LOUD the car is bone stock with JUST a cone filter? Now it might be different since the turbo is pulling the air appose to a 3.0L V6 but if by ANY chance the sound is the same, it would be unlivable. With that pulling noise, echoing through the tire well, there's no way you can use it as a daily driver unless you want you and your passenger to wear ear plugs...

Also, I don't think it has been discussed yet but, how is the clearance on the charge pipe? could you possibly fit 2.25" or 2.5" piping there? And also, what is your suspension setup?(just curious if i could still run s-techs with kyb agx's)

-Aaron-
Old 01-15-2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by ghostmax301
I just thought about the trunk mount filter... has anyone thought of how LOUD the car is bone stock with JUST a cone filter? Now it might be different since the turbo is pulling the air appose to a 3.0L V6 but if by ANY chance the sound is the same, it would be unlivable. With that pulling noise, echoing through the tire well, there's no way you can use it as a daily driver unless you want you and your passenger to wear ear plugs...

Also, I don't think it has been discussed yet but, how is the clearance on the charge pipe? could you possibly fit 2.25" or 2.5" piping there? And also, what is your suspension setup?(just curious if i could still run s-techs with kyb agx's)

-Aaron-
Yea for the filter im going to have to figure something out. i dont wanna put it in the trunk, although that seems to be a very good option.

As for the ground clearance, i berly have problems, i only have problems when i have car full of poeple when i pass over huge speedbumps. I have progress springs which dosnt give a huge drop, i love my drop, best part is that the rear is higher than the front. so thats awsome for the turbo. if you have a lower drop, they sell oval piping. forgot wat site it was but u can find it online.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:35 AM

cool man. Oval piping FTW!!! let me know A.S.A.P. Also i thought of it, you CAN put it in the tire well, but put dynomat throughout the well then get a sparetire cover and dynamat that, it should muffle the sound.

EDIT: a cover over the tire well wolud probably cause a problem due to small space. kind of like covering 1/2 of your MAF with your palm and watching it bog down teh gay... someone needs to find a solution for this. k&N sock with a shield seems to be the only one...
Old 01-15-2007, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Yea for the filter im going to have to figure something out. i dont wanna put it in the trunk, although that seems to be a very good option.

As for the ground clearance, i berly have problems, i only have problems when i have car full of poeple when i pass over huge speedbumps. I have progress springs which dosnt give a huge drop, i love my drop, best part is that the rear is higher than the front. so thats awsome for the turbo. if you have a lower drop, they sell oval piping. forgot wat site it was but u can find it online.
if you can get long enough piping, you could route it around the spare trunk well to the location of the EVAP Box, you might be able to make some space there, and securely have the filter.

just an idea. . . might be too cramped there, but if its possible thats a cool (temperature) location.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
if you can get long enough piping, you could route it around the spare trunk well to the location of the EVAP Box, you might be able to make some space there, and securely have the filter.

just an idea. . . might be too cramped there, but if its possible thats a cool (temperature) location.
very true. i doubt it'll pass emissions anyway
Old 01-15-2007, 11:24 AM

dont any emissions, so w/e
Old 01-15-2007, 01:09 PM

for the filter..is there a spot "in" the rear bumper? I haven't pulled the rear bumper off my car, but i'm betting there's some hollow space in there to play with somewhere..
Old 01-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by ghostmax301
I just thought about the trunk mount filter... has anyone thought of how LOUD the car is bone stock with JUST a cone filter?
I really wouldn't worry about it. If you're that concerned with how loud it's going to be, keep the car stock. The filter isn't going to sound like anything against even an aftermarket muffler, let alone the loudness you get with streetz's current setup (no muffler). You aren't going to hear the filter If you really must, add sound deadening. My whole trunk has a layer of the stuff already.

Personally, I don't think the filter-in-the-trunk idea is going to turn out to be optimal or practical. It's very limited, seems like a lot of work, etc. On STS's rear-mount Integra, they have a pipe coming off the inlet side of the turbo that crosses over to the other side of the car where the filter has room and sits a little higher up off the ground. That, a shield, and one of those waterproof socks would be a good combination to fight off water, dirt, and clearance.

I also like Obsidian's idea...

Perhaps a combination of my ideas as just stated along with Obsidian's would provide a setup that would work long-term, such as having the filter cross over to the other side, go back to where the bumper is to have it "hide", make a shield so water and debris keep away, put the sock over it...there you have it. In this case the length of intake piping really makes no difference, either.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:13 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

?? Belly Pan ??

I
Personally, I don't think the filter-in-the-trunk idea is going to turn out to be optimal or practical. It's very limited, seems like a lot of work, etc. On STS's rear-mount Integra, they have a pipe coming off the inlet side of the turbo that crosses over to the other side of the car where the filter has room and sits a little higher up off the ground. That, a shield, and one of those waterproof socks would be a good combination to fight off water, dirt, and clearance.

I also like Obsidian's idea...

Perhaps a combination of my ideas as just stated along with Obsidian's would provide a setup that would work long-term, such as having the filter cross over to the other side, go back to where the bumper is to have it "hide", make a shield so water and debris keep away, put the sock over it...there you have it. In this case the length of intake piping really makes no difference, either.
Why not just cover the rear underneath of the car?

You know, if you put a belly pan on the back half of the car, from the rear passenger footwell back to the bumper, you would gain some serious air-flow control under the car, and protect the turbo, filter, and all other components at the same time. Pick up some gas milage and 1/4 mile MPHs at the same time.

I've got two 4'x8' sheets of black ABS plastic in the garage, one for front and one for the rear of my car. The front one is pretty much done, and the rear is measured but not cut out. The rear is simpler that the front, it appears. I stopped installation because I set the Ingen intake below the car, in front of the tranny, and couldn't cover it with the front belly pan then. Then I started making serious progress with the car and put the pans aside.

I just won another 15lb bottle ,another pair of solenoids, and some nitrous hoses on EBay, so my 3rd-stage of nitrous is really under way. Just need a Shark, two more adapters, and a relay, and I'm ready! A 3-stage 200-shot setup - heh... Then I'll need the belly pans...
Old 01-15-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hiding it somewhere up in the rear bumper would be another good idea.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by grey99max
Why not just cover the rear underneath of the car?

You know, if you put a belly pan on the back half of the car, from the rear passenger footwell back to the bumper, you would gain some serious air-flow control under the car, and protect the turbo, filter, and all other components at the same time. Pick up some gas milage and 1/4 mile MPHs at the same time.

I've got two 4'x8' sheets of black ABS plastic in the garage, one for front and one for the rear of my car.
How well would ABS plastic handle the heat, though?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:33 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

How well would ABS plastic handle the heat, though?
It's pretty tough stuff. A 1500-watt heat gun can get it warm enough to bend, but this stuff is for serious industrial applications. Mine is 1/8 " , but it comes in thicker sheets.

Just an idea for your tailpipe-turbo project, because it seemed to take care of most of the water and rocks issues.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:35 PM

let alone the loudness you get with streetz's current setup (no muffler).
Turbochargers themselves actually muffle quite a bit. I don't believe any of STS's setups include a muffler either.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by grey99max
It's pretty tough stuff. A 1500-watt heat gun can get it warm enough to bend, but this stuff is for serious industrial applications. Mine is 1/8 " , but it comes in thicker sheets.

Just an idea for your tailpipe-turbo project, because it seemed to take care of most of the water and rocks issues.
Oh, I know, and it's a great suggestion that would be VERY easy to do. I was just curious about the ABS. Thanks for answering my question!
Turbochargers themselves actually muffle quite a bit. I don't believe any of STS's setups include a muffler either.
They don't muffle as much as a muffler, though. I don't know about you, but my current cat-back is loud enough for me as-is, I don't really want things any louder.

BUT, since it does muffle some, what about me getting rid of my current resonator (a Thrush glasspack) and putting my current muffler (Borla Pro XS) in it's place? Seems to me that would allow the noise levels to stay about the same as what they are now with my cat-back.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:35 PM

Actually, you'd be surprised just how much turbos do muffle. On the rear, I could see it muffling the exhaust just as much as a straight through muffler if not more. Extra loudness would come from the compressor though, which will happen on any turbo car.

Once we get some videos though, we'll know for sure.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Bacon Lover

Actually, you'd be surprised just how much turbos do muffle. On the rear, I could see it muffling the exhaust just as much as a straight through muffler if not more. Extra loudness would come from the compressor though, which will happen on any turbo car.

Once we get some videos though, we'll know for sure.
I have a video streetz made over a week ago. He hasn't shared it yet, though. Trust me, it's not THAT loud, but it's loud enough that I'd want to muffle it a little. It would be easier to put the muffler BEFORE the turbo, though, given space constraints. I'm not so sure my muffler would fit anywhere before the turbo, though, as it's sort of flat and wide.

Quick Reply: First ever Rear Mounted Turbo maxima