Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

First ever Rear Mounted Turbo maxima

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 08:25 PM

you could unplug the VAFC and see if that resolves the problem, or just reset the VAFC and keep it configured for the car but no fuel corrections.

Test the injectors.
I dont think you upgraded your fuel setup for the rear mount did you?
Old 02-10-2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
you could unplug the VAFC and see if that resolves the problem, or just reset the VAFC and keep it configured for the car but no fuel corrections.

Test the injectors.
I dont think you upgraded your fuel setup for the rear mount did you?
Right now the maf is not connected to the vafc2. the reason im taking off the vafc2 is because i have a loose connection somewhere on the ecu from when i installed the vafc.

yes i was having a similar problem before and i thought it was because i screwed up the stock injectors (the car would actually turn off when this happend) because of my timing advanced and extremely high fuel pressure that i was running. So i put in z32 injectors. and car ran fine, till now. Im going to try everything tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You forgot to mention what happens to the manifold vacuum when it starts acting up. ..............
Old 02-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Bacon Lover

Ugh, not another pioneering project gone wrong.

Craig Mack, anyone?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Ugh, not another pioneering project gone wrong.

Craig Mack, anyone?
Nah not like that. Like he said, this isnt related to the turbo. RMT project was a success and worked like we expected it to. This is something not-related that's making the car undrivable. Obviously, lean+turbo is a bad idea. So when this started happening, turbo came off (see how easy it is to just remove your turbo on an RMT? ).

And also, what nismology was reffering to was that when this wacked out ubber lean a/f occurs, vaccum drops to about ~15in Hg. Idle also drops some. AS IF there was a vaccum leak. But Nismology, s0ber and streetz looked around for one with a bottle of starter fluid and nothing they sprayed caused a change. So we're down to electrical.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:55 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by choray911
If the AFR is in the 10s or 11s, and the EGTs are high, then you might be able to retard timing a bit to get the temps down. If the AFRs are right, timing has been retarded, and the EGTs are still up, an intercooler or aftercooler might help.
If you live in a place that has a hot summer, the EGT readings will let you know if it is a bad idea to get into boost for the day.
I also use mine as a way to tell if it is safe to turn off the car with out baking the bearings inside the turbo.
Almost any car can be tuned with a EGT and a WB02.

Choray
Retarding timing raises EGT typically. This is due largely to the fact that the burn is happening closer to the time that the exhaust valve opens, or in some cases the burn is still occurring when the exhaust valve is open. Advancing timing cools EGTs typically. This is why you don't want to tune with JUST an EGT. EGTs can be affected by too many things to use them as a sole tuning tool.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:00 PM

How's your EGR valve? I happened to have egr issues with a Maxima I used to own and it would go lean every time the thing would try to open. It always seemed random so I never figured it out till way later. For some reason it always seemed to be worse in the winter than the summer too.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:07 PM

There are a lot of things in your setup that differ from successful rear mounted turbos. First of all, the turbo supply line and drain should NOT be at an angle...ever, on any turbo setup. Oil needs to be able to freely, and quickly drain from the turbo; turbos do not want oil pressure, just a steady stream to lubricate otherwise oil will bypass the seals, smoke, and or fill the intake with oil. Also, do you have any kind of restrictor on the supply line? I don't doubt that you are supplying wayyyy to much oil if there is no restrictor. You were right to think about a turbo timer for the pump; most kits use one to run the pump for 1 minute after shutdown. An intercooler would most likely be worthless at your boost level, especially since the long charge pipe will lower the charge air temp sufficiently. Hopefully when you get the fuel sorted out the turbo will also spool quicker otherwise you may want to look into a smaller turbo/ turbine housing. Good luck with the project
Old 02-12-2007, 06:05 AM

My problem was the front o2 sensor!!! I unpluged them both and car idled perfect obviously rich since it has not o2's at 11.7 a/f. I connected one of the sensors and a/f went crazy again to really lean. So im installing new o2's in couple days. I am back in business
Also I removed my VAFC2 because i cleaned up the wiring mess i had on my ECU and might install my emanage blue soon. so right now i dont have a working 00VI, low end is extremly slow and car does not even provide any power till about 4,000 RPM. Also being very rich below 3k does not help turbo spool up since EGT's are low at that richness. once i put the plugs in and im at near 14.7 that will really help turbo spool up sooner. I might be removing the power rod from the 00vi as well.

Originally Posted by Geoff
There are a lot of things in your setup that differ from successful rear mounted turbos. First of all, the turbo supply line and drain should NOT be at an angle...ever, on any turbo setup. Oil needs to be able to freely, and quickly drain from the turbo; turbos do not want oil pressure, just a steady stream to lubricate otherwise oil will bypass the seals, smoke, and or fill the intake with oil. Also, do you have any kind of restrictor on the supply line? I don't doubt that you are supplying wayyyy to much oil if there is no restrictor. You were right to think about a turbo timer for the pump; most kits use one to run the pump for 1 minute after shutdown. An intercooler would most likely be worthless at your boost level, especially since the long charge pipe will lower the charge air temp sufficiently. Hopefully when you get the fuel sorted out the turbo will also spool quicker otherwise you may want to look into a smaller turbo/ turbine housing. Good luck with the project
I dont think there is anything wrong with my oil setup. The feed line has a check valve that does not allow oil to flow into the turbo while the car is off, also I do have a restrictor on the turbos oil inlet, its a 1/16 size restrictor. My oil problem was not when the car was running but when the car was off. I have solved this problem by running the pump 2 minutes after engine is off. ever since iv been doing that, i have not had any oil on the charge pipe at all. I have a thick oil drain line coming out the turbo and into the pump so i seriously doubt there is any oil pressure on the return side of the turbo. There for I consider this project a success.

Originally Posted by mtcookson
How's your EGR valve? I happened to have egr issues with a Maxima I used to own and it would go lean every time the thing would try to open. It always seemed random so I never figured it out till way later. For some reason it always seemed to be worse in the winter than the summer too.
That is one of the things I wanted to check yesterday. But when I saw that the o2 sensor was causing the problem I didnt check the egr.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Bacon Lover

Glad to hear you got it worked out. NOW for the real results
Old 02-12-2007, 07:57 PM

nothing but good news, happy to hear your back in the game, so we can compare
Old 02-12-2007, 08:05 PM

thanx yall. hopefully if i dont have to travel for work this weekend i might install emanage and tune.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Thanx all for the input. I30mike, I am planning on very very soon doing water injection with a similar scavenge pump, since i rather not do FMIC because it will add even more distance to the charge pipe. Water injection should hopefully help keep detonation down if theres any at all. I might need some advice from you guys with this whole turbo project once a while since im new to it. I just put in mobil 1 synthetic (usually use castrol gtx, when i drained it it looked like water lol, maybe the turbos heat caused it to brake down too much or something).
What about going crazy, rear mount the intercooler ( long and thin type) and mount it just in front of the rear bumper? mount it to the frame.

OR

use two 300zx intercoolers, theyre small and you can mount them to the rear of the car and run custom piping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/300ZX...spagenameZWDVW
Old 02-19-2007, 09:09 PM

hmmm, i like the rear intercooler mounting idea. But will it work if its not getting direct air flow like in the front?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:21 PM

Use an air scoop. I had a strange aftercooler setup idea a while back that involved and air scoop. Wouldn't likely be as efficient as a front mount but more efficient than none at all.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Doctor D I presume???

hmmm, i like the rear intercooler mounting idea. But will it work if its not getting direct air flow like in the front?
shouldnt be a problem, its not like the maxima is a twin turboed V12 LOL. it wont need as much cool air . But I digress, angled properly, the intercooler(s) will work properly.
its getting its air flow from under the car, the toyota Mr2 uses a similar design setup on an aftermarket turbo kit.
With the 300zx intercoolers, they become hidden and they serve their purpose. One recommendation I would make here is, use the ducts the intercoolers come with. and when mounting them, angle the intercoolers down about 15 degrees from a 90 degree set up and you will get more efficient airflow ( since the rear suspension will diffuse the airflow, the angling of the intercoolers will pick that flow back up).

it might actually be more efficient,.. here's why, since these intercoolers are not mounted in front of the radiator, so then air flow is reduced simply put, they may get better flow rear mounted since there will be nothing hindering them. the ducts added will direct the laminar flow into the intercoolers as designed front or rear mounted. STillen might have the HDPE ducts to fit these intercoolers, also there is always ebay. Happy hunting.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Worse comes to worse, cut two holes in your rear bumper, ( doesnt have to be as big as the intercoolers, just enough to create some flow through) put some painted chicken wire behind the holes. and then you have proper flow through.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:46 PM

What a coincidence you mentioned a twin turbo V12... I saw an MB S65 AMG tonight... 6 liter V12 twin turbo. 604 hp, 738 lb. ft. torque @ 2,000 rpm. Damn did that thing sound and look awesome.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by doc2278
Worse comes to worse, cut two holes in your rear bumper, ( doesnt have to be as big as the intercoolers, just enough to create some flow through) put some painted chicken wire behind the holes. and then you have proper flow through.
Wow man this sounds like something I would say, lol
Old 02-20-2007, 06:43 AM

hmmm very interesting. I might consider this rear mount intercooler option.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:11 AM
VQ30 DE T

Sound Clips?
Old 02-20-2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by accordingtou
Sound Clips?
see if u can see this clip
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1751144300
Old 02-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Bacon Lover

I think the original one (the one you took at night with no BOV) has better sound with it. You should post that one.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:25 PM

And We Thought We Seen It All..
Old 02-21-2007, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by happy4444
And We Thought We Seen It All..
Old 02-22-2007, 08:11 AM
VQ30 DE T

see if u can see this clip
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1751144300NICEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old 02-22-2007, 08:13 AM
VQ30 DE T

Turbo

NICE AUTO?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:31 AM

yes thats auto.. that was 5psi untuned, now im at 7.5-8psi and tuned.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 AM

QUESTION FOR ALL:

Do you guys think if I put a muffler with 3" inlet and outlet after the turbo. Will this cause too much restriction? I am thinking of doing dynomax muffler.
The muffler fits fine at the location where I have the turbo exhaust outlet pipe right now. We can just route that same pipe into the muffler and then out. The exhaust is starting to bother me a little bit. Maybe because my trunk is completly gutted. But still from outside is pretty loud. I just wanna make sure if i put a muffler its not going to rob some air flow.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Alex_V

I hate them but what about a cannister muffler, a little inset? it might act like a resonator.

~Alex

Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
I hate them but what about a cannister muffler, a little inset? it might act like a resonator.

~Alex
You mean like them straight thru maganaflows? I hate those things, just makes it deeper but dosnt bring noise down. if the drown i got already gets any deeper my windows are going to pop lol. i dont get any rasp at all, i just wanna get rid of the loud deep drown i got. sounds like a damn dumptruck with a turbo spooling noise in the background lol.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Bacon Lover

A good 3" muffler shouldn't restrict you too much. Besides, if it bothers you that much, the tiny bit of restriction a muffler will add probably won't bother you as much.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:28 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

QUESTION FOR ALL:

Do you guys think if I put a muffler with 3" inlet and outlet after the turbo. Will this cause too much restriction? I am thinking of doing dynomax muffler.
The muffler fits fine at the location where I have the turbo exhaust outlet pipe right now. We can just route that same pipe into the muffler and then out. The exhaust is starting to bother me a little bit. Maybe because my trunk is completly gutted. But still from outside is pretty loud. I just wanna make sure if i put a muffler its not going to rob some air flow.
This one doesn't have much - if any - back pressure. You can feel each exhaust pulse at idle: It's what Warpspeed built into my '99 ...

Old 02-23-2007, 09:24 AM

oh snap, nice muffler harold. I think streetz should give Dallas a call
Old 02-23-2007, 09:34 AM

Good job on your accomplishment!

My only question is what value is it to have a rear mounted turbo as opposed to a front mounted turbo?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by hacim105
Good job on your accomplishment!

My only question is what value is it to have a rear mounted turbo as opposed to a front mounted turbo?
It is half the price to spend. and if done properly almost as effective as front. (i said almost)
Old 02-23-2007, 10:29 PM

UPDATE!: FINALLY HAVE TRACK TIMES
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=512116
Old 02-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Turbo 3.5

just wondering do you think a 2 or 2-1/4 inch exhaust would help the turbo spool faster than your 2-1/2 exhaust
Old 02-25-2007, 07:02 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by t6378tp
just wondering do you think a 2 or 2-1/4 inch exhaust would help the turbo spool faster than your 2-1/2 exhaust

The larger your exhaust the faster you will spool... (watch out for diminishing returns).

Streetz to answer your question about the muffler, it won't hamper your performance to any significant extent.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:24 PM

11.76 and 123mph - stock VQ30
Inspiration. Keep it up man...

Quick Reply: First ever Rear Mounted Turbo maxima