3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 PM

another missfiring VE

Hey everyone I've been lurking on this site for many years. I own a 96 se 5mt. My brother has a 93 se 4at. I'm having a missfire problem with his 93.

Symptoms:

-Power loss and missfire apparent when in drive. As the car warms up, the missfire gets worse. NO CEL's
-Problem has gotten worse and worse as the months went by. A gradual change in performance. It seems like the car is running lean.
-Coil packs are good. All have perfect resistance and I checked for spark.
-Coolant temp sensor, and tps were checked, all good.
-The MAF isn't outputting any voltage. That makes me think it's bad. The weird thing is that there's no CEL and the car isn't in limp mode (i can rev it as high as I want).
-I suspect the injectors, but the front 3 I know are good (hard to test rears). I inspected all of the spark plugs and cannot see any differene in condition across the board.

Ay ideas?
Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by hollabakzach23
hey guys! so i recently bought a 90 maxima auto with only about 112 thou on the odometer. but on the flip side its got a few problems... first it idles real rough and theres a poping sound comming from the muffler. im guessing i have an exhaust leak somewhere? then sometimes the car just up and dies and kills the battery it will putt putt and then just die. next is a huge electrical issue, i have no acc power so when i put the key in and turn it on i have no radio or anything, checked all the fuses but everythings fine but i did notice that on the positive battery terminal there is a clip thats about 4 inches long that is missing so im guessing it shorted out because theres no wiring there its just the clips plugged in im guessing that would have something to do with my acc power? and does that little clip have anything to do with the alternator charging the battery? any help would be great sorry for the jumpy post let me know if you need any more info thanks
zach
also my main concern is that the little 4 inch clip going from the positive terminal to the harness always melts the wire i try to hook up to the clip how would i go about fixing that?? its from clip 2 to clip 3 in the picture and its holding me back from all my accessory power i know that for a fact i just dont want it to hurt anything else
Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alternator Help Please

I want to get a high performance alternator for my 1994 maxima, does anyone know where i can find one please???

Last edited by iamthescottie; 08-16-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:20 PM
POB
Newbie - Just Registered

Drive takes jiggle and/or waiting to engage

Fluff:
I just received one of my favorite cars as a gift. A shiny 1992 Maxima GXE. Sadly, it does have some problems. I've spent an hour or so trying to find an answer to one problem in the forums here. Then I spent two hours making a list of all the other things I found along the way that solved other problems. There's a huge wealth of knowledge here, and I'm very grateful. I also have a sizable list of things to order from the good folks at Courtesy Nissan, and my wife is going to let me buy them all.

Actual Problem:
However, my original problem remains unsolved. About 50% of the time, when I shift from neutral to drive, the transmission doesn't engage immediately. I can shift to 2 then back to D and it'll go, or I can wait about six seconds in D and it'll finally engage. The FSM doesn't have a diagnosis for this, and the only mention of this problem I could find in the whole internet is this site, provided solely for your entertainment. My mechanic wants $390 to replace the neutral safety switch. Since all articles here regarding that part deal with non-starting vehicles, I'm actually a little leery regarding his diagnosis. Also, I figure I can do that for $90. Any advice?
Old 08-16-2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
if it's the thing on the brake pedal, then your brakelights would not work. otherwise it's the green plastic box in the passenger side kick panel. pm nc90gxe and ask him if he still has his (i did his 5spd swap in march but i don't think we ever removed the green box)

Do you recall the name of this green box? Because i can always call the grab a part place.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:12 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by iamthescottie
I want to get a high performance alternator for my 1994 maxima, does anyone know where i can find one please???
I have been here for a while, and I don't think I have heard of/seen one.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:14 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by POB
Fluff:
I just received one of my favorite cars as a gift. A shiny 1992 Maxima GXE. Sadly, it does have some problems. I've spent an hour or so trying to find an answer to one problem in the forums here. Then I spent two hours making a list of all the other things I found along the way that solved other problems. There's a huge wealth of knowledge here, and I'm very grateful. I also have a sizable list of things to order from the good folks at Courtesy Nissan, and my wife is going to let me buy them all.

Actual Problem:
However, my original problem remains unsolved. About 50% of the time, when I shift from neutral to drive, the transmission doesn't engage immediately. I can shift to 2 then back to D and it'll go, or I can wait about six seconds in D and it'll finally engage. The FSM doesn't have a diagnosis for this, and the only mention of this problem I could find in the whole internet is this site, provided solely for your entertainment. My mechanic wants $390 to replace the neutral safety switch. Since all articles here regarding that part deal with non-starting vehicles, I'm actually a little leery regarding his diagnosis. Also, I figure I can do that for $90. Any advice?
Not an auto guy, but it sounds like your shifter bushing(s?) may be going out.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

idk how much output you"re looking to get but i found a 150amp output one? and considering a the stock one is what 90 amps thats a upgrade for you! just do a google search and go from there. heres the link i found...
http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/hiou150ampal2.html
Old 08-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

transmission problem

i just got a 92 maxima for FREE!!!! anyways. the trans has a problem, i can drive it, but it does not go into drive.... what im saying is when you put it in drive it will go through 1st and 2nd, but wont shift out of secounf, when it gets to the shift point out of 2nd it just revs... until you put it into 2nd manualy then it goes but stays in second. have no idea about these cars i know i tried switching o/d off, and the power/comfort swith, iv delt with bad auto tranny before and replaced many, but they have always just went, this one shift very smooth through 1st and 2nd... just wont go into drive gear, tranny fluid is fine, fresh, any ideas or someone had this experience with this same problem????
Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
i just got a 92 maxima for FREE!!!! anyways. the trans has a problem, i can drive it, but it does not go into drive.... what im saying is when you put it in drive it will go through 1st and 2nd, but wont shift out of secounf, when it gets to the shift point out of 2nd it just revs... until you put it into 2nd manualy then it goes but stays in second. have no idea about these cars i know i tried switching o/d off, and the power/comfort swith, iv delt with bad auto tranny before and replaced many, but they have always just went, this one shift very smooth through 1st and 2nd... just wont go into drive gear, tranny fluid is fine, fresh, any ideas or someone had this experience with this same problem????
sounds like 3rd gear isn't working....... here's an idea... warm the car up FULLY... then accelerate to like 50mph with the shifter in 2 (yes this is safe... 2nd is good for 75mph on the automatics) and stabilize your speed at 50mph, then shift it into D with overdrive enabled (ie, yellow light OFF) and see if it'll go into a gear, or if it still just free-revs. If the tranny seems to work at higher speeds like that, then you know your o/d (aka 4th gear) works, and that your only issue is 3rd gear. Either way you'd probably need a new tranny to fix the issue.

also which engine do you have? VE (oil cap on front valve cover... 92-94 SE) or VG (oil cap on a stalk on the rear valve cover... 89-94GXE and 89-91 SE)?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:56 PM

does anyone know the name of the part/ where I could get:

The rubber bumper that the spring sits on. It sits between the bottom of the spring and the strut. (Donut Shaped)
tia
Old 08-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Garf
does anyone know the name of the part/ where I could get:

The rubber bumper that the spring sits on. It sits between the bottom of the spring and the strut. (Donut Shaped)
tia
http://www.courtesyparts.com/54035-s...4-p-48602.html

$9 shipping minimum on all orders. so if you have other OEM parts that you plan on ordering anytime soon, and can afford them, minus whale go ahead an order them with it.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:18 PM

to the top...

Originally Posted by 99sidude
Hey everyone I've been lurking on this site for many years. I own a 96 se 5mt. My brother has a 93 se 4at. I'm having a missfire problem with his 93.

Symptoms:

-Power loss and missfire apparent when in drive. As the car warms up, the missfire gets worse. NO CEL's
-Problem has gotten worse and worse as the months went by. A gradual change in performance. It seems like the car is running lean.
-Coil packs are good. All have perfect resistance and I checked for spark.
-Coolant temp sensor, and tps were checked, all good.
-The MAF isn't outputting any voltage. That makes me think it's bad. The weird thing is that there's no CEL and the car isn't in limp mode (i can rev it as high as I want).
-I suspect the injectors, but the front 3 I know are good (hard to test rears). I inspected all of the spark plugs and cannot see any differene in condition across the board.

Ay ideas?
I went ahead and ordered a new MAF. I figure if it doesn't change anything I'll return it.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:27 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

to the top...

I went ahead and ordered a new MAF. I figure if it doesn't change anything I'll return it.
You can actually test the rears at the harness, which was news to even me until just recently

It's been my luck on two VE's that it's always an injector on the rear that goes bad

I know you said they tested fine, but are the coilpacks cracked?

Also, are you sure it's misfiring and not just getting "heat soaked"? VE's are notorious for bad knock sensors that really, really bog the car down once the engine warms up
Old 08-17-2009, 09:16 PM

I have a 89' maxima GXE and the fourth setting on my AC does not work. One, two, and three work fine but when I switch it to four it cuts out completely.

Any suggestions on fixing this problem?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jcarryl
I have a 89' maxima GXE and the fourth setting on my AC does not work. One, two, and three work fine but when I switch it to four it cuts out completely.

could be your wiring maybe?

If your wiring is bad, you might need a new CCU (climate control unit)
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 PM

Need new shocks in the front (and probably rear too). What brand do y'all suggest? Not performance, but a nice comfy ride.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 PM

Is the Scosche Kit UI2225B the one that fits 3rd gens? curious because this is the only one im able to find for '90/3rd gen.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+-+UI2225.html
Old 08-18-2009, 07:08 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Jcarryl

I would check the High Blower Relay.

Originally Posted by Shoveller
Need new shocks in the front (and probably rear too). What brand do y'all suggest? Not performance, but a nice comfy ride.
KYB or Tokico
Originally Posted by seans90maxima
Is the Scosche Kit UI2225B the one that fits 3rd gens? curious because this is the only one im able to find for '90/3rd gen.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+-+UI2225.html
you don't need one. you can bolt any single din radio in place of the OE single DIN radio.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:42 PM

having major issues with my maxima...cylinder number 2 and number 5 arent firing...well i assume this i can take the plugs of the coil packs and the engine doesnt change at all. and now when im driving it it will loose all spark im guessing. the only thing keeping the rev's up is the motor turning as soon as i take it out of gear it dies completely. but i can start it right back up and it will run for a min or two like that ok and then do it again. but sometimes it just comes back on without me having to restart it. im pretty mechanically inclined guy but this is stumping me....im thinking the ICM (ignition control modual) any help would be appreciated
Old 08-18-2009, 08:01 PM
mod or sell?

I assume it's a stick.
chances are you have 2 bad injectors.
check the resistance on the injectors ro make sure they are within range. once those are functioning right you will probably have no other issues.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM

trying to check the back injectors can anyone give me a better description on where that middle coupler is so i can test the back... the 3 on the front read 12.2 11.8 and 65.3 LOL
Old 08-19-2009, 05:55 PM
mod or sell?

so that is one for sure bad
Old 08-19-2009, 06:36 PM

yea im pretty sure there is at least one more on the back side that is bad. im just gonna get all new ones you can get remanufactured set for like 160 bucks. thats all six so im just gonna do that i think
Old 08-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by kasey07
yea im pretty sure there is at least one more on the back side that is bad. im just gonna get all new ones you can get remanufactured set for like 160 bucks. thats all six so im just gonna do that i think
and you will do it, again, in about six months, nine times out of ten.

There is no such thing as a "reman" injector for our car.
buy new ones. it'll cost $600 or so, but you will only do it once, even if you double your current mileage.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BenStoked
and you will do it, again, in about six months, nine times out of ten.

There is no such thing as a "reman" injector for our car.
buy new ones. it'll cost $600 or so, but you will only do it once, even if you double your current mileage.

there are several pages of sworn testimony by first-hand witnesses that reman injectors are actually "remanufactured" in a secret factory, in the 7th level of hell, by demons, supervised by Satan himself . So trust me... you don't wanna use them.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
You can actually test the rears at the harness, which was news to even me until just recently

It's been my luck on two VE's that it's always an injector on the rear that goes bad

I know you said they tested fine, but are the coilpacks cracked?

Also, are you sure it's misfiring and not just getting "heat soaked"? VE's are notorious for bad knock sensors that really, really bog the car down once the engine warms up
I know for a fact the coil packs are perfect. Thanks a ton for the help with the rear injectors!!! The car has always had a bad heat soak issue. I've never gotten any cel's with the car either????
Old 08-20-2009, 06:26 PM
mod or sell?

I know for a fact the coil packs are perfect. Thanks a ton for the help with the rear injectors!!! The car has always had a bad heat soak issue. I've never gotten any cel's with the car either????
"heat soak" = bad knock sensor.
the CEL on the third gen is about as useful as christmas tree lighting. nice to look at, but rarely does anything useful
Old 08-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone have a audio color code schematic ohmed out the speakers and I
know whats what however still no sound I'm still using the bose/amplf/speaker
help. 1994 maxima
Old 08-20-2009, 06:48 PM
mod or sell?

did you hook up the power to the amps?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

still looking for the power wires that feed the amps I thought that was the problem
also any ideas which wires they are. thanks
Old 08-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

alright so i plan on messing around with my front bumper alil. i was curious if anyone took a 4th gen bumper and bolted it right up to a 3rd gen with no problem. i wanna do the swap to look cleaner and have normal foglight housings so i can run hid foglights
Old 08-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by importboy34
alright so i plan on messing around with my front bumper alil. i was curious if anyone took a 4th gen bumper and bolted it right up to a 3rd gen with no problem. i wanna do the swap to look cleaner and have normal foglight housings so i can run hid foglights
it wouldn't fit at all. nowhere close.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:57 PM

just go to any alternator/starter rebuilding shop and they will rebuild ur alternator to high output one..
Old 08-21-2009, 05:26 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by slimhall
still looking for the power wires that feed the amps I thought that was the problem
also any ideas which wires they are. thanks

Old 08-21-2009, 05:53 PM

i need some quick help please...

my maxima came with the awful, skinny 2 spoke wheel so i bought a 4 spoke wheel that also came with the maxima. i had searched on here and it looked like it was a direct swap, but the the set ups for the steering wheel are completely different. the 2 spoke has this thing bolted to the back of it that rotates when the wheel turns which the 4 spoke does not have, it just has this metal rings that the electrics run through.

can anyone that has done this swap help out?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by ramlee
i need some quick help please...

my maxima came with the awful, skinny 2 spoke wheel so i bought a 4 spoke wheel that also came with the maxima. i had searched on here and it looked like it was a direct swap, but the the set ups for the steering wheel are completely different. the 2 spoke has this thing bolted to the back of it that rotates when the wheel turns which the 4 spoke does not have, it just has this metal rings that the electrics run through.

can anyone that has done this swap help out?
I can't see what you are talking about (yes, steering wheels ). can you provide pictures?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:08 PM

here we go

Old 08-21-2009, 06:09 PM

Do you mean the different factory steering wheels that came with 3rd gens? like the one that has the push horn and the one with the buttons?

EDIT- guess not, late post.

That thing RHD? if it is epic win
Old 08-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ramlee
here we go

hmmm..... try pulling the thing with the wires off the steering column. it looks like it might've broken out of the back of the 2-post wheel...... note the 4 holes that match up with the holes in the back of the wheel?

i like the PRND2L lights on the cluster. what're the 2 oval-shaped buttons next to the comfort/power switch? also i would get SO confused trying to indicate in your car since in the US the headlight/indicator switch is on the left side of the wheel.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-21-2009 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)