3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BenStoked
there are a couple of brands that make headers, Pacecetter being one. Avoid them, unless you don't mind hacking them up to make them fit. I don't remember who the other brand is, but I know nothing of their quality.

aside from that, there is warpspeed that makes a y-pipe to fit the original manifolds. if you have to replace it anyway, this is typically the recommended way to go.
If you have broken manifold studs, check your engine mounts before replacing them; if they are bad, you may be replacing your studs again.
Thanks, engine mounts look fine, maybe I can get away with just getting new studs and keeping the stock manifolds, then getting the warpspeed y pipe

Now I have another issue. The previous owner basically melted a huge hole in the top of the coolant overflow reservoir, rendering it useless since it took off almost the whole top half. I took it off and have the hose pointed to where it can just drain onto the street, but I want to buy a new tank. I've looked all over and can only find tanks that go on the passenger side...mine is on the driver's side and I know the other tank won't fit. I'm thinking it's either a difference between the GXE and SE or auto and manual, either way even on ebay I can't find any. Does anybody have any ideas? The universal ones are going to be my last resort.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:13 PM

oh i forgot to ask which is a easy way to take out the engine without the tranny?

is the sensor under the oil filter oil press or water temp?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey will the 240 a pillar gauge pod fit my 90 maxima a pillar?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:36 PM

NVM got help on a thread

Last edited by chrome91; 08-28-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:41 AM

Quick question 90 max wat size is the speedo?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by RustyMaxima
Quick question 90 max wat size is the speedo?
what do you mean, "size?" it is an oem gauge, which means the typical sizes for aftermarket gauge makers won't nessecarily fit. iirc, it was quite a bit smaller than the aftermarket gauges (i believe aftermarket gauges measuer 5", but the hole for the speedo was 4.5"? it was a while ago, so don't use this post as law.)

unless you meant "speed". then the 89-91SE ans all GXEs use 125mph gauges.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:18 PM

everyones glovebox handle seem to discolor has anyone found a way to restore it without painting?
Old 08-30-2009, 05:01 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by jimbot18
everyones glovebox handle seem to discolor has anyone found a way to restore it without painting?
a good cleaning?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:38 AM

hello im new here and i have a 92 max. whenever i speed up she makes noise.... could it be my head gasked?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:20 AM

we are gonna need alot more details to help you out
Old 08-30-2009, 12:28 PM

i have a 92 maxima and when i cut my lights on the light from the speedometer does not come on. what do i have to do to fix this

Last edited by Dinglekidd; 08-30-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by kasey07
we are gonna need alot more details to help you out
the noise is when ever i speed up. my friend and i replaced the manifold gasket about two months ago. when ever the car is at cruise or at a stop light i dont hear this noise
Old 08-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Dinglekidd
the noise is when ever i speed up. my friend and i replaced the manifold gasket about two months ago. when ever the car is at cruise or at a stop light i dont hear this noise
You gotta be more complete, my friend...

Perhaps you have someone with a mechanical / technical background who can ride along with you and give you some more details to post about your issues?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:00 PM

so i figured id ask you guys what im doing wrong. got two injectors put em in ran great then started to run like crap....so im like wtf...do some test...ohm out ok. then i pull the plug and it is dripping in gas...and im about to pull the manifold and get the other injector and return them for the second time...am i doing something wrong or what?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK I am looking at 2 cars one of which will be purchased @ the end of Sept. A 1990 Maxima with a 99 motor. I am not sure of the miles but i am getting all this information as we speak. The asking price is $1850 but i am pretty positive i can get it down to @ least 1500 if I play my cards right. It will serve as a A to B car while i live Here in college but I also like a little speed as well and a little something to do In my spare time In college (Summers ect.). I have moderate expirience with them as well seeing as how A 93 Max was my 1st car. However. There Is another factor to this equasion. The second car I am looking at is a 90 Max with 106k on the car (no engine swap). The asking price for this one is only 800. No brainer right??? WRONG..two things with this car...The current owner broke the key off in the ignition. While trying to get it out, they ruined the housing. Supposedly they do have a replacement for it. Just haven't put it in. The shifting mount was loose so it wouldn't go into gear,and suposedly it will be replaced as well. If all of this dosent happen and they dont replace or fix any of this stuff, would I still be better off going with This or the other? and Either way how much would it be to fix a shifting mount and ignition housing?? Thanks in advance..
Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by SFMax
OK I am looking at 2 cars one of which will be purchased @ the end of Sept. A 1990 Maxima with a 99 motor. I am not sure of the miles but i am getting all this information as we speak. The asking price is $1850 but i am pretty positive i can get it down to @ least 1500 if I play my cards right. It will serve as a A to B car while i live Here in college but I also like a little speed as well and a little something to do In my spare time In college (Summers ect.). I have moderate expirience with them as well seeing as how A 93 Max was my 1st car. However. There Is another factor to this equasion. The second car I am looking at is a 90 Max with 106k on the car (no engine swap). The asking price for this one is only 800. No brainer right??? WRONG..two things with this car...The current owner broke the key off in the ignition. While trying to get it out, they ruined the housing. Supposedly they do have a replacement for it. Just haven't put it in. The shifting mount was loose so it wouldn't go into gear,and suposedly it will be replaced as well. If all of this dosent happen and they dont replace or fix any of this stuff, would I still be better off going with This or the other? and Either way how much would it be to fix a shifting mount and ignition housing?? Thanks in advance..
99.9% chance BS that the first one has a 99 motor..... see if you can get pics of that car's engine bay to prove it REALLY has a VQ. Because it's not your average backyard mechanic's engine swap.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
99.9% chance BS that the first one has a 99 motor..... see if you can get pics of that car's engine bay to prove it REALLY has a VQ. Because it's not your average backyard mechanic's engine swap.

That what I originally thought and still kinda do..given that there are NO pictures of the engine bay @ all what are your thoughts on the other option
Old 08-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by SFMax
That what I originally thought and still kinda do..given that there are NO pictures of the engine bay @ all what are your thoughts on the other option
shifter mount (i assume you mean the rubber bar that holds the shifter up inside the bracket) is $40 from courtesyparts.com but I dunno what to tell you about the ignition. I guess the bolts that hold it on can be drilled out to allow you to replace it, and then find a locksmith to match the tumblers to the key the car already had.

now i'm not saying there's necessarily anything wrong with the first car, it's just that they are probably lying or misinformed about the engine swap. because the crossmember doesn't even go in the same place on a 90 vs a 99, let alone the engine or tranny mounts, or exhaust.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:12 PM

def. post pics if it really does have a VQ
Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kasey07
so i figured id ask you guys what im doing wrong. got two injectors put em in ran great then started to run like crap....so im like wtf...do some test...ohm out ok. then i pull the plug and it is dripping in gas...and im about to pull the manifold and get the other injector and return them for the second time...am i doing something wrong or what?
What kind of injectors are you using, new or remanufactured?

Did you properly lube the o-rings before snapping the new injectors into place? A pinched o-ring can cause you problems.

What do you mean they were dripping in fuel?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

92 Bose Audio ?? form noobie!!!!!

hey, i bought a 92 GXE, and it had no radio, thought nothing of it til i got home and saw the BOSE cover on the speakers, then i thought to my self S*@t!!!!!!! i had a bad experience with replacing bose with a 98 deville i had, but on top of that 1 of the wireing harnesses were cut, the bigger of the 2, not the 6 pin, and the only replacement i found so far was one out of an se, all but 3-4 wires matched up, and i now have power and stuff to the radio, but no sound, any advice?? is it just as simple and running wires from each speaker to the radio itself??
Old 09-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by dramanan
hey, i bought a 92 GXE, and it had no radio, thought nothing of it til i got home and saw the BOSE cover on the speakers, then i thought to my self S*@t!!!!!!! i had a bad experience with replacing bose with a 98 deville i had, but on top of that 1 of the wireing harnesses were cut, the bigger of the 2, not the 6 pin, and the only replacement i found so far was one out of an se, all but 3-4 wires matched up, and i now have power and stuff to the radio, but no sound, any advice?? is it just as simple and running wires from each speaker to the radio itself??
easier: clip the smaller wires on the speaker amps, wire directly into your (aftermarket) speakers, and !WHAM! sound.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I HAVE LOOKED AT A TON OF CARS...i KEEP GOING BACK TO THE MAX...IT WONT BE LONG..I HOPE
Old 09-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok i was just given a 89 se that my brother had so it has alot of issues (1) i put a new sterio in about 4 months ago since then the seatbelts wont move unless the igition in on . (2)the secrity feature wont work after that also is ther a way to reset it? (3) the sunroof cover fell out ( it got realy wet and worped )where can i get another one
Old 09-02-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by maxitech
What kind of injectors are you using, new or remanufactured?

Did you properly lube the o-rings before snapping the new injectors into place? A pinched o-ring can cause you problems.

What do you mean they were dripping in fuel?
found out i was tearing the lower o ring guess im not lubing it up enought i have dont it twice now pisses me off cuz i have to remove the manifold each time fml if it does it again im just gonna dip the whole injector into the jelly
Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My friend just bought a 91 Maxima and after reading around the net about it it seems the automatic transmissions are prone to failure around 100k (his has 109K). I looked to see what a filter would cost on a site and they had a little note under the part number; "transmission must be removed and disassembled for filter replacement". No drain plug, plus the filter is apparently just a screen. Gee, I wonder why these tend to fail.

As such, I doubt the fluid's ever been changed. I've driven it; there's no slippage but shifts are rather harsh with quick acceleration.

My plan is to advise him to get one of these kits, go to get a fluid flush and have them install it after they flush and then replace the filter a couple times in quick succession. Then get a flush/filter every 30k or so.

I'm wondering what you guys thought of this plan and whether he should do something different. I really don't want deferred maintenance to bite him in the *** if I can help it.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by SCB2525
My friend just bought a 91 Maxima and after reading around the net about it it seems the automatic transmissions are prone to failure around 100k (his has 109K). I looked to see what a filter would cost on a site and they had a little note under the part number; "transmission must be removed and disassembled for filter replacement". No drain plug, plus the filter is apparently just a screen. Gee, I wonder why these tend to fail.

As such, I doubt the fluid's ever been changed. I've driven it; there's no slippage but shifts are rather harsh with quick acceleration.

My plan is to advise him to get one of these kits, go to get a fluid flush and have them install it after they flush and then replace the filter a couple times in quick succession. Then get a flush/filter every 30k or so.

I'm wondering what you guys thought of this plan and whether he should do something different. I really don't want deferred maintenance to bite him in the *** if I can help it.

Hi, I just recently got a 1990 Maxima (got it real cheap...free)that needed a transmission. I went to pick your part....it was half off day to!!...and found a trans...fluid was good not burnt. There is a drain plug on the trans in front. Instead of getting that kit, I'd just drain the fluid at 4000 miles until the fluid is clean....then at 20,000-25,000 miles.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is there really a drain plug? I'll have to look into that. I think I still may go with the remote filter though since the stock filter is near impossible to replace and is mesh. This will allow easy replacement of a true paper filter.

Do these cars have factory trans coolers?
Old 09-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

that, combined with a trans cooler (the smaller ones from summit would be fine), should make the trans last a little longer.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Is there really a drain plug? I'll have to look into that. I think I still may go with the remote filter though since the stock filter is near impossible to replace and is mesh. This will allow easy replacement of a true paper filter.

kinda-sorta... the ATF has a small pass-thru tank in the bottom of the radiator to transfer heat from the ATF to the coolant. adding an aftermarket trans cooler in front of the a/c condenser is def a good idea tho (block it off w/ cardboard in winter if you live in really cold climate._
Old 09-02-2009, 07:49 PM

Hi, The drain plug at the front...it is a 3/8 square... you can use a 3/8 drive ratchet to remove it.The cooler in in the lower tank of the radiator.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1993 Antenna / Motor / Fuse?

The motor does not make any noise at all. The radio works. I listened by the trunk to see if it made any grinding noise...and indication that the motor was on...nothing. Would the fuse interrupt power to the motor? If so, where is the fuse box located. I saw a white plastic box in the vicinity of the antenna, but didn't pry. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This drain plug; does it just drain this transfer tank or is it a drain for the trans pan? In either case, how much can I expect to drain? It takes Dex III right?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:21 PM

From jimkev68
"...i put a new sterio in about 4 months ago since then the seatbelts wont move unless the igition in on..."

Check the battery fuse in the interior fuse panel
Old 09-03-2009, 07:58 PM

This drain plug; does it just drain this transfer tank or is it a drain for the trans pan? In either case, how much can I expect to drain? It takes Dex III right?
The drain plug is low in the trans case so it should get most of the fluid out,except for some in the torque conv, there is no drain plug on the torque conv.That's why I drained mine at 3,000 miles until the fluid was clean and not brown and burnt smelling.The refill spec is about 7- 3/4 qts of dex III.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:49 AM

does anyone know how much gear oil a 93 se 5speed requires?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The car needs a RF CV/half shaft and there's a difference in parts between ABS and non. I have no idea if the car has ABS. How can I (easily) tell?
Old 09-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

The car needs a RF CV/half shaft and there's a difference in parts between ABS and non. I have no idea if the car has ABS. How can I (easily) tell?
abs= radiatior overflow on drivers side.
NON-abs=radiator overflow on passenger side.
(usdm spec, not sure about other countries)
Old 09-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys

I'm new here and stumbled along this forum looking for an answer to this issue. I have a 1989 maxima and am having a weird idle problem. When in park everything works fine (when I press the gas it revs, rpms increase, all that). But when I put the car in gear the rps drop drastically (down to below 500rpm) no matter what the idle is set at. Now heres the bad part when in gear if i let it roll (just idling) the rpms will slowly increase and its fine but if I have it in drive and i hit the gas from a stop it sputters and wants to stall. Please help.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:24 AM
mod or sell?

first thing is to check out that you don't have a misfire. it could also be a bad IAC to name a couple of things I can think of

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)