3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by braxsusriely
Thats alot of info, i'd probably look at all your vacum lines and electrical connections. Did you have check engine light come on?

on a side note....
http://www.fuelinjectorsoutlet.com/p...roducts_id=940
seems kinda scetchy any ideas ?
no my check engine light hasnt come on at all...even ran thru self diagnostic check and nothing....seein as im not familiar with the 3rd gen engine...i have no idea wut vacuum lines and electrical connections deal with my problem....is it not a good idea to put a remans injector in the car?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by MaximaFan4140
no my check engine light hasnt come on at all...even ran thru self diagnostic check and nothing....seein as im not familiar with the 3rd gen engine...i have no idea wut vacuum lines and electrical connections deal with my problem....is it not a good idea to put a remans injector in the car?
well, when it comes to a vacuum leak, pretty much all hoses are game.
and no, do not put remans in your maxima.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BenStoked
well, when it comes to a vacuum leak, pretty much all hoses are game.
and no, do not put remans in your maxima.
yea i'm going through that right now with mine, a vac leak that is. when we did my motor swap we didn't finish until after the parts stores closed... it was 9pm, i was in atlanta and had to be in NC by morning.... so we just said screw it and i have been driving with a vac leak ever since. there's 2 under the TB, one coming out from the IM between the TB and the cylinder-shaped thing (IACV), one on the back-passengerside corner for the heatercore valve, one on the back driverside corner for the fuel pressure regulator, one big one for the brake booster, and a whole bunch on the driverside of the engine where the 2 solenoids (brown and green) are, and some going down from the end of that to a charcoal canister beneath the driverside headlight. not to mention the larger breather hoses and the PCV hose.

my car is missing the one from the passenger-side of the TB back to the EGR solenoid. idle bogs to 700 and rythmically dips to 550 and back up to 700, at about the same pace you'd dribble a basketball. and then in the mornings when it's really cold i'll start the car and it goes to 1500rpm but then creeps up toward 2000rpm before falling to 400 (yea 400, not 1400) and trying to stall. one morning it did stall, but usually it just tries to stall for about 10 seconds then goes back to 1500 and stumbles around up there for a while until the car warms up.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 10-20-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
yea i'm going through that right now with mine, a vac leak that is. when we did my motor swap we didn't finish until after the parts stores closed... it was 9pm, i was in atlanta and had to be in NC by morning.... so we just said screw it and i have been driving with a vac leak ever since. there's 2 under the TB, one coming out from the IM between the TB and the cylinder-shaped thing (IACV), one on the back-passengerside corner for the heatercore valve, one on the back driverside corner for the fuel pressure regulator, one big one for the brake booster, and a whole bunch on the driverside of the engine where the 2 solenoids (brown and green) are, and some going down from the end of that to a charcoal canister beneath the driverside headlight. not to mention the larger breather hoses and the PCV hose.

my car is missing the one from the passenger-side of the TB back to the EGR solenoid. idle bogs to 700 and rythmically dips to 550 and back up to 700, at about the same pace you'd dribble a basketball. and then in the mornings when it's really cold i'll start the car and it goes to 1500rpm but then creeps up toward 2000rpm before falling to 400 (yea 400, not 1400) and trying to stall. one morning it did stall, but usually it just tries to stall for about 10 seconds then goes back to 1500 and stumbles around up there for a while until the car warms up.
wut part of nc u in??? i stay in fayetteville....and honestly there arent many people around here who know anything bout the maximas....but imma check all the vacuum lines and hopefully one of those is my problem and not an injector...god i hope not an injector...i really dont wanna scrap the motor in it cuz it does has 310k on it and im pretty sure i could get another 10k out of it...well nm...got a lifter ticking on me...so i might as well scrap it huh?? how long did it take you to put in the spare motor in yours Caped Cadaver???
Old 10-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

wut part of nc u in??? i stay in fayetteville....and honestly there arent many people around here who know anything bout the maximas....but imma check all the vacuum lines and hopefully one of those is my problem and not an injector...god i hope not an injector...i really dont wanna scrap the motor in it cuz it does has 310k on it and im pretty sure i could get another 10k out of it...well nm...got a lifter ticking on me...so i might as well scrap it huh?? how long did it take you to put in the spare motor in yours Caped Cadaver???
lifters are pretty cheap... i also have some spare injectors of both types as well. plus 4 for the other style if you wanted to swap connectors. I'm in Raleigh.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:49 AM

lifters are pretty cheap... i also have some spare injectors of both types as well. plus 4 for the other style if you wanted to swap connectors. I'm in Raleigh.
man im going thru hell with this car lol...never thought i would...u swapped the engine out yourself in ya max cadaver?? how long did it take you and how much hell did you go thru with it?? lol
Old 10-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

man im going thru hell with this car lol...never thought i would...u swapped the engine out yourself in ya max cadaver?? how long did it take you and how much hell did you go thru with it?? lol
me and Goon9 did the swap... i actually let him do most of the work, not that I didn't have the ability to do it (i'd just swapped an engine in another 3rd gen a few weeks prior) but it was his house and the engine came from him so we just kept working on stuff until everything appeared to be together.. took us from about 3pm saturday to 10pm sunday with a few trips to the parts store and we stopped between like 8pm sat to 8am sun.. not too bad considering we didn't even plan to swap the engine on-the-spot. only thing we messed up was aforementioned vac lines, and we lost one of the motor mount bolts so we kinda had to make due with another similar bolt.

the other maxima, my friend's 89 that i got in may w/ a blown motor, took us from 8am monday all through the night stopped at 6am tuesday... and then from 6pm tuesday to 5am wendesday morning when it finally cranked. then we did the timing belt and water pump that weekend, and a few other odds and ends (since i bought the car not-running i didn't know what else was even wrong with it... there was a lil bit to deal with, to say the least) but at $450 how could i say no?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nm

Last edited by mxid; 10-21-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need help... I am replacing a clutch and pressure plate in a 1991 Maxima SE 5sp. Almost done, my question is, how many bolts hold the the Support Rod bracket to the transaxle? There looks like there are 2 mounting holes and the stud where the support rod bushing goes on. In my manual and other diagrams they only show 1 bolt? Thanks for any info on this..
Old 10-20-2008, 07:27 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by gwb2709
Need help... I am replacing a clutch and pressure plate in a 1991 Maxima SE 5sp. Almost done, my question is, how many bolts hold the the Support Rod bracket to the transaxle? There looks like there are 2 mounting holes and the stud where the support rod bushing goes on. In my manual and other diagrams they only show 1 bolt? Thanks for any info on this..
Looks to be one (1) bolt..

Old 10-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
Looks to be one (1) bolt..

diagram is wrong. it's 2. on in the very very rear of the bracket, and one up above the passenger side axle shaft as it enters the transmission. and then there's a 3rd bolt that holds the transmission to the gusset on the engine. One of the bolts holding the support bracket to the engine is technically an engine-to-transmission bolt because it goes through the block as well as the bracket (bracket, then block, then into tranny), therefore, the diagram only shows the bolt that goes into the bracket and tranny only.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:18 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

diagram is wrong. it's 2. on in the very very rear of the bracket, and one up above the passenger side axle shaft as it enters the transmission. and then there's a 3rd bolt that holds the transmission to the gusset on the engine. One of the bolts holding the support bracket to the engine is technically an engine-to-transmission bolt because it goes through the block as well as the bracket (bracket, then block, then into tranny), therefore, the diagram only shows the bolt that goes into the bracket and tranny only.
So what are you trying to say?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

So what are you trying to say?
one bolt is shown on your diagram. the other bolt is bolt #4 on page MT-7. they show it on MT-7 instead cuz #4 is actually an engine/tranny bolt that just happens to share responsibility as a bracket mount bolt as well, whereas the one in the diagram you showed does nothing but hold the bracket onto the tranny case. bolt #6 is gusset-to-tranny and does NOT go through the bracket.

after having done 5 tranny installations since february (swap in feb, clutch in may, matt's car in august, my VLSD swap in september then my engine swap in october).... this stuff becomes second nature VERY quickly
Old 10-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys I have a little problem:

I have a 92 Maxima with the SOHC motor 135k miles, no CEL. I had a misfire develop that presents itself at all throttle positions and coolant temps. I could pull the ign wire from the middle plug on the front cylinder bank ( I think this is cyl #3?) and it would NOT affect the idle. This tells me that this is the dead cylinder, as pulling the other wires off of their respective plugs WOULD drastically change the way that the engine ran. I pulled all the spark plugs and the plug for this cyl was very fouled while the others were clean.

The following parts were then changed:

Spark Plugs
Coil
Dist. Cap and Rotor Button
Ign. Wires

After all of this, the problem remained, unaltered

I then swapped all six injectors and the rails with some from another car (and obviously replaed the intake manifold gaskets), I also replaced most of the vac lines since they were very brittle.

After this the problem remained. I then unhooked the battery for a few hours, and hooked it back up. The car ran MUCH better, with a slight misfire that was intermittent. I mean the car ran perfectly, with a slight hiccup that rarely occured.

Today the problem returned. Dead cyl, (the one I assume is #3, the one in the middle of the front bank) misfires always. I have found a couple of threads that express a similar problem, but the solution was never posted. Any ideas? Something I am missing? other threads pointed to the Knock sensor, or the coolant temp sensor, but this was never confirmed or denied. I am tired of swapping parts when they dont solve the problem. Help would be very appreciated!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:24 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

one bolt is shown on your diagram. the other bolt is bolt #4 on page MT-7. they show it on MT-7 instead cuz #4 is actually an engine/tranny bolt that just happens to share responsibility as a bracket mount bolt as well, whereas the one in the diagram you showed does nothing but hold the bracket onto the tranny case. bolt #6 is gusset-to-tranny and does NOT go through the bracket.

after having done 5 tranny installations since february (swap in feb, clutch in may, matt's car in august, my VLSD swap in september then my engine swap in october).... this stuff becomes second nature VERY quickly

haha!! i just made you type all that ish

I know exactly what you were saying dude.

It's been a long time(05) since i did a tranny swap/drop on these cars, so i just popped the fsm up for the answer.

Last edited by Greeny; 10-20-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by theallpowerfulme

I have a 92 Maxima with the SOHC motor 135k miles, no CEL. I had a misfire develop that presents itself at all throttle positions and coolant temps. I could pull the ign wire from the middle plug on the front cylinder bank ( I think this is cyl #3?) and it would NOT affect the idle. This tells me that this is the dead cylinder, as pulling the other wires off of their respective plugs WOULD drastically change the way that the engine ran. I pulled all the spark plugs and the plug for this cyl was very fouled while the others were clean.

Spark Plugs
Coil
Ign. Wires

I then swapped all six injectors and the rails with some from another car (and obviously replaed the intake manifold gaskets), I also replaced most of the vac lines since they were very brittle.

After this the problem remained. I then unhooked the battery for a few hours, and hooked it back up. The car ran MUCH better, with a slight misfire that was intermittent. I mean the car ran perfectly, with a slight hiccup that rarely occured.

Today the problem returned. Dead cyl, (the one I assume is #3, the one in the middle of the front bank) misfires always. I have found a couple of threads that express a similar problem, but the solution was never posted. Any ideas? Something I am missing? other threads pointed to the Knock sensor, or the coolant temp sensor, but this was never confirmed or denied. I am tired of swapping parts when they dont solve the problem. Help would be very appreciated!
did you perform a resistance test on the injectors that came out, and the ones that went in? they should be 10-14 ohms between the 2 pins. it's possible your just-installed injector on one of the cylinders just happened to be bad... since the rail came from another car, rather than being brand new injectors, you never know if one of the injectors was just about to crap out. so perhaps if you locate the bad injector, just take one of your old ones that wasn't on #3 (if you still have them around) and just swap that one injector into the place of the bad one you have now, IF that is the problem. otherwise it would have to be a dirty injector plug, causing poor electrical connection, or bad wiring back to the ECU. but based on the fact that it ran well and just flared up again... i'd look at the current injectors' resistances first.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

haha!! i just made you type all that ish

I know exactly what you were saying dude.

It's been a long time(05) since i did a tranny swap/drop on these cars, so i just popped the fsm up for the answer.
u lil.....

at least it's good, specific info

still.... @ u
Old 10-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

did you perform a resistance test on the injectors that came out, and the ones that went in? they should be 10-14 ohms between the 2 pins. it's possible your just-installed injector on one of the cylinders just happened to be bad... since the rail came from another car, rather than being brand new injectors, you never know if one of the injectors was just about to crap out. so perhaps if you locate the bad injector, just take one of your old ones that wasn't on #3 (if you still have them around) and just swap that one injector into the place of the bad one you have now, IF that is the problem. otherwise it would have to be a dirty injector plug, causing poor electrical connection, or bad wiring back to the ECU. but based on the fact that it ran well and just flared up again... i'd look at the current injectors' resistances first.
I will test the resistance on the ones that came out in the morning. The problem seems to be with the same injector (the one in the middle of the front bank), even now that it has flared back up. So a connector/ecu/wiring problem seems more likely than a bad injector ( I admit that it is still possibly a bad injector, just not likely). I think I saw a thread with a similar problem that may have been solved with a cleaning of the connector to the injector.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I will test the resistance on the ones that came out in the morning. The problem seems to be with the same injector (the one in the middle of the front bank), even now that it has flared back up. So a connector/ecu/wiring problem seems more likely than a bad injector ( I admit that it is still possibly a bad injector, just not likely). I think I saw a thread with a similar problem that may have been solved with a cleaning of the connector to the injector.
yea, those things get that green corrosion crap on them, and then they can't make a solid connection. might as well get electrical parts cleaner and clean off all the connectors anyways (it can't hurt... it will only help... do all the connectors in the engine bay tho not just the injector connectors) and if that doesn't help then ohm test both the ones that came out, and the ones that are still on the car.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:10 AM

Spark Plugs
Coil
Ign. Wires

Damn why does that sound just like the problem i am currently going thru with the engine thats still in my max to this day...i gave up in buying parts tryin to fix the problem when i got a spare motor...but urs does only got 132k or wutever while mines has broken 310k lol....AGED AND EXPERIENCED YEAH BABY!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello, it's me again. I've got a 93 Maxima and I'm slowly narrowing down that electrical issue (work and family and all that), but now there's a new problem. Over the past week, the shifter became hard to move. Last night, it became so stiff that I had to pull extremely hard on it to get it to move and then the transmission would only shift into park an neutral. After a little while it was stuck in park and the release button wouldn't even go in all the way. After about an hour, I managed to get it out of park and drove it home.

My first thought is something with the linkage. I will be able to check it in a bit, but haven't yet.

Has anyone ever come across something like this?

Also, is there anything tricky with the linkage that I should beware of?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:39 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by RivuxGamma
Hello, it's me again. I've got a 93 Maxima and I'm slowly narrowing down that electrical issue (work and family and all that), but now there's a new problem. Over the past week, the shifter became hard to move. Last night, it became so stiff that I had to pull extremely hard on it to get it to move and then the transmission would only shift into park an neutral. After a little while it was stuck in park and the release button wouldn't even go in all the way. After about an hour, I managed to get it out of park and drove it home.

My first thought is something with the linkage. I will be able to check it in a bit, but haven't yet.

Has anyone ever come across something like this?

Also, is there anything tricky with the linkage that I should beware of?
change / add transmission fluid.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:37 PM

New here... I've got a 92 Maxima SE.. I want to put a front lip on but I'm not too impressed with the kits or the lack of available. Does anyone know of a car with a similar bumper and a better selection of lips. Looking to modify a lip to fit the maxima.. any ideas ?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by torontomaxi
New here... I've got a 92 Maxima SE.. I want to put a front lip on but I'm not too impressed with the kits or the lack of available. Does anyone know of a car with a similar bumper and a better selection of lips. Looking to modify a lip to fit the maxima.. any ideas ?

hi ya they dont offer many diff styles but i think the stillen kit looks pretty sick check out my pic i got up but as far as makin one fit thats all u lol id prob start wit a bmw 3 series the e36 body style thats what my headlights r from but then again its all what u like
Old 10-26-2008, 05:26 PM

does any one know any thin about the frontier vg33 the supercharged one? how is the lower intake manifold is it the same as the vg30 maxima???? some one let me know suttin about that thanks
Old 10-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by torontomaxi
http://forums.maxima.org/6328022-post120.html
cant remember the exact model its from (AERIO?)
Originally Posted by ~V~max
does any one know any thin about the frontier vg33 the supercharged one? how is the lower intake manifold is it the same as the vg30 maxima???? some one let me know suttin about that thanks
as far as I know, the lower stuff is similar, as far as the head-to-intake stuff goes.
HOWEVER!!!!
i dont think a supercharger would fit, since there is little-to-no room for the belt, with the fender well in stock form....
Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by BenStoked
http://forums.maxima.org/6328022-post120.html
cant remember the exact model its from (AERIO?)
it is flipped upside down though IIRC

as far as I know, the lower stuff is similar, as far as the head-to-intake stuff goes.
HOWEVER!!!!
i dont think a supercharger would fit, since there is little-to-no room for the belt, with the fender well in stock form....
sawzall
Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
it is flipped upside down though IIRC

I don't think it is actually...

Old 10-27-2008, 12:40 PM

Anyone changed an alternator belt before?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Obsession_92-94
yeah.....
Old 10-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yeah.....
zomg me 2!!! lyke... i did it at goon's, and i did it on matt's, and i did it on uh.... i think that's it.

loosen tensioner locknut
loosen the 2 bolts that lock the alty from swinging
loosen tensioner adjuster bolt

also remove the other 2 belts cuz the alty belt is the furthest in iirc
Old 10-27-2008, 01:48 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Obsession_92-94
yeah.....
zomg me 2!!! lyke... i did it at goon's, and i did it on matt's, and i did it on uh.... i think that's it.

loosen tensioner locknut
loosen the 2 bolts that lock the alty from swinging
loosen tensioner adjuster bolt

also remove the other 2 belts cuz the alty belt is the furthest in iirc
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...formation.html
Old 10-27-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by PBfrEAk
I don't think it is actually...

it is
Old 10-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ProphetVG30E
it is
it's not flipped, if that's what you meant... look at the fog holes, venty thingies, etc

Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM

My bad...
Old 10-27-2008, 07:31 PM
mod or sell?

it's not flipped, if that's what you meant... look at the fog holes, venty thingies, etc

I thought in one of his posts he said it was. Guess snot.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, the transmission problem reared its ugly head again to such a degree that I had to have it towed to a shop. They evaluated it and told me that the linkage cable went out. I'm not so sure that's the only problem. I tried to move the part of the linkage that actually attaches to the transmission itself and managed to get a burn on my finger and moved it a tiny bit, but it didn't get out of reverse. There was also a small spark from the part that holds the rubber boot in place. It wasn't blue like an electrical spark, more like an orange smithereen from a blacksmith's hammer.

The shop told me that it's going to be around $320 to fix it because they had to order the entire linkage from a Nissan dealer. That's around the price of a used transmission for it.

Do you guys think the transmission might be trashed, as well?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:19 AM

any one know what i can use 4 a head gasket 4 a 90 maxima help me please want a metal one or suttin good
thank you
Old 10-28-2008, 11:39 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by ~V~max
any one know what i can use 4 a head gasket 4 a 90 maxima help me please want a metal one or suttin good
thank you
http://www.courtesyparts.com/11044-g...611_1612_1616&
Old 10-28-2008, 04:29 PM

Hey, this is probably a dumb question but what does SFC stand for, ive read that installing sfc's will greatly improve handling but i dont know what it is, i'm about to have rotors/brakes, tokico blues and B&G lowering springs, new axles, new control arms with bushings and ball joints, new inner and outter tie rod ends and new sway bars installed and would like to inquire about get sfc's if i could only find out exactly what they are, thx in advance

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)