3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Motorexskygtr32
I checked with my fuel injectors to see if it works or not. I let my car running and pop the hood. I used a rag towel to pull the spark plug wire one by one...by doing 3 front then 3 back...it shakes a bit when I pulled it out and its still running by pulling each time. So all 6 spark plugs that I pulled out is still running.

That means Im screwed because I have to replace all 6 fuel injectors??
make sure I understand; remove a spark plug wire, the engine shakes more? that is good. plug it in, then go to the next. do one plug wire at a time. if all 6 make it shake more, that is good. if there is no difference when you pull the plug, that cylinder is having problems (either no spark, or no fuel)

have you checked your maf wires, yet?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BenStoked
make sure I understand; remove a spark plug wire, the engine shakes more? that is good. plug it in, then go to the next. do one plug wire at a time. if all 6 make it shake more, that is good. if there is no difference when you pull the plug, that cylinder is having problems (either no spark, or no fuel)

have you checked your maf wires, yet?
Well, it doesnt really shake but very slighty, though. Im confused, another poster told me the opposite of pull the spark plug wires in this forum. Other than that, all plugs I pull one at time, its running fine. Is that a good news?

MAF? You mean Mass Air Flow such as Air ram, mass air flow sensor? Yes, I replaced all of it. Its fine for about a week but the problem show up again. I even had the old Mass Air Flow sensor that came with Air ram again, no difference. I dont think it has to do with MAF.

I think it has to do with fuel system..I explained my problems yesterday. Dont know if you read it or not.

Oh one more thing, why it is every time I drive for awhile then I come home..I see a little smoke come out of the valve header. Is that normal?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
same was happening to me. its the fuel injector. u may have a few bad ones. turn ur car on and pop ur hood ,wear gloves (thick ones) and pull ur spark plug wires on at a time but put it back tho one at a time. the ones that cause the car to feel n sound like its dying are the good injectors and the ones u pull out and the car stays the same (no affect) are ur bad injectors.

and if ur grill is the same color as the car its an SE. and if the taillights are dark and not red.
Im confused, what he told me was opposite. I pulled all spark plug wires by one wire a time, its still running fine. Is it means the fuel injector goes bad?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Im confused, what he told me was opposite. I pulled all spark plug wires by one wire a time, its still running fine. Is it means the fuel injector goes bad?

it if shakes and loses power wen u pull it = a good injector.
u pull it and it keep running with no difference = bad injector
Old 07-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

it if shakes and loses power wen u pull it = a good injector.
u pull it and it keep running with no difference = bad injector
That means I have all 6 bad fuel injectors because each time I pulled, it kept running!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 PM

That means I have all 6 bad fuel injectors because each time I pulled, it kept running!
im not sure but i think its a small chance that you get all 6 injectors going out at once methinks its something else
Old 07-15-2010, 04:37 PM

yeah im having no luck finding this sensor.. lol i feel dumb and im probably looking at it.. could you maybe help me by giving more detail??? more pics maybe?? or more directions to find the sensor
Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I own 1994 Maxima ... Everything is fine and dandy, except i've got some serious lighting problems... the most obvious thing is my driver side high-beam's inability to come on, i swapped out the bulb and its not that, so it might be related to "part two" of my problem. All interior display lights(this includes the dash and down by the shift selector too) will randomly shut off or just not come on to begin with (my tail and break lights will stop working in direct conjunction with the interiors when this happens too). Usually I can just turn the light switch back and forth a couple times and everything will light up...sometimes not... in combination with this I will often times lose my high-beams (beam :P) all together. Or I'll get interior lights but no high-beam(s)... could any one shed light on this situation please?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by subnuetralperesium
I own 1994 Maxima ... Everything is fine and dandy, except i've got some serious lighting problems... the most obvious thing is my driver side high-beam's inability to come on, i swapped out the bulb and its not that, so it might be related to "part two" of my problem. All interior display lights(this includes the dash and down by the shift selector too) will randomly shut off or just not come on to begin with (my tail and break lights will stop working in direct conjunction with the interiors when this happens too). Usually I can just turn the light switch back and forth a couple times and everything will light up...sometimes not... in combination with this I will often times lose my high-beams (beam :P) all together. Or I'll get interior lights but no high-beam(s)... could any one shed light on this situation please?
your switch is bad, and needs the contacts cleaned, or the switch replaced.
the first is cheaper, the second is all-around easier.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Gheremy harrison
yeah im having no luck finding this sensor.. lol i feel dumb and im probably looking at it.. could you maybe help me by giving more detail??? more pics maybe?? or more directions to find the sensor
follow the upper radiator hose to the engine. it will be in teh metal housing, there.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 PM

dam dat sucks. ur car must shake like an earthquake and run like it has no power. yea better fix that so u can have ur full power.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:17 PM

Oh one more thing, why it is every time I drive for awhile then I come home..I see a little smoke come out of the valve header. Is that normal?
where exactly does this smoke come from? do you have pictures?
Old 07-16-2010, 03:51 PM

yeAh but there is more than one thin that looks like the sensor.. i dont know which it is..
Old 07-17-2010, 10:11 AM

lol ok.. i found it lol i feel dumb.. yeah it was loose like the video.. about to replace it.. Thanks for the help..
Old 07-18-2010, 03:58 PM

transmission mounts?

Well, i have a question about my 89 maxima se.. while driving the car, like if the car is in 1st gear and you get to about 3000 rpms and let go of the gas, the shifter moves forward alot.. icant really explain its hard to put into words for me.. does this sound like a problem?? i just didnt think the shifter should be moving forward or backwards while in gear.. please help
Old 07-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Gheremy harrison
Well, i have a question about my 89 maxima se.. while driving the car, like if the car is in 1st gear and you get to about 3000 rpms and let go of the gas, the shifter moves forward alot.. icant really explain its hard to put into words for me.. does this sound like a problem?? i just didnt think the shifter should be moving forward or backwards while in gear.. please help
auto or manual?
manual will move a little, regardless. if it moves a lot, you probably need new engine mounts.

auto trans?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:52 PM

kinda hard question without pics, but i was digging in my trunk, and where the left arm that lifts up the trunk is theres a black plastic casing with green, yellow, etc. wires inside, and it looks like someone must have cut it because the wires are exposed and its not wrapped up

could this be spoiler wiring or antenna wiring? im pretty sure my antenna isnt working because it seems to be stuck half up always but i cant imagine a antenna needing all those wires
Old 07-18-2010, 11:33 PM

ok i changed it but the gauge still doesnt move..??
Old 07-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I own a 94 Maxima SE with a/t. It's been my little trooper, got 172k miles now. It needs work though, and I wanna learn to do it myself. I'm a noob though so I have a lot of questions that I hope you guys can help me with.

The major problem is that when it gets up to about 30mph, shifting from 1st to 2nd gear I guess, the steering wheel makes a brief and sudden jerk to the right. I've become able to tell when its gonna happen to keep from dying, but I want this fixed. Does it sound like the tranny, or maybe a bad bushing, mount, etc?

Last edited by MaxiMi11i0naire; 07-18-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by MaxiMi11i0naire
I own a 94 Maxima SE with a/t. It's been my little trooper, got 172k miles now. It needs work though, and I wanna learn to do it myself. I'm a noob though so I have a lot of questions that I hope you guys can help me with.

The major problem is that when it gets up to about 30mph, shifting from 1st to 2nd gear I guess, the steering wheel makes a brief and sudden jerk to the right. I've become able to tell when its gonna happen to keep from dying, but I want this fixed. Does it sound like the tranny, or maybe a bad bushing, mount, etc?
most likely control arm bushings. my POS civic does that too, cept it's a manual. but you can see the wheel jerk to the right when i step on the clutch and back to the left when i get back on the gas.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 PM

is there a write up on vaccum hoses? i dont know which are which and wonna know exactly which are the one's.

how do i know if i need to replace my MAF? i have 2 bad injectors so the car runs kinda crappy already. like what do i look for when i check it? and if i clean it how would i do that and would that fix it is bad/dirty.

my e-brake does not work. cant find a thread on it. -_-

also when i brake it makes a sound in the front brakes like a stretching noise, what can this be?

Last edited by nyc_ink; 07-20-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
kinda hard question without pics, but i was digging in my trunk, and where the left arm that lifts up the trunk is theres a black plastic casing with green, yellow, etc. wires inside, and it looks like someone must have cut it because the wires are exposed and its not wrapped up

could this be spoiler wiring or antenna wiring? im pretty sure my antenna isnt working because it seems to be stuck half up always but i cant imagine a antenna needing all those wires
Most likely the wiring for the stock amplifier for non bose audio rear speakers. Previous owner must have taken off the amp and cut off the connector.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
most likely control arm bushings. my POS civic does that too, cept it's a manual. but you can see the wheel jerk to the right when i step on the clutch and back to the left when i get back on the gas.
Thanks man. I think you're right. I went in for an alignment a year ago and he told me I needed the control arm bushings replaced. The jerk wasn't there, or maybe wasn't as pronounced yet. He quoted me at $300, does that sound like a fair price? Can this be a DIY job?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Scratch the last question.

New question, sorry about the noob posts btw. Is it possible to make my headlights brighter without having to mod? Like buying some hyperwhite bulbs?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

New question, sorry about the noob posts btw. Is it possible to make my headlights brighter without having to mod? Like buying some hyperwhite bulbs?
do NOT put blue bulbs in your car. that is all "hyperwhite" means. and blue means less bright.
get yourself some silverstar ultras. good bulbs, no mods.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

do an advanced search for "9007" by username "greeny"
Old 07-20-2010, 01:05 PM

ok I know I have a bad ball joint just from recent experience its not hard to know whatsup. on my way to work I noticed this. now I am to lazy to crawl under my car at work and want to pick parts up on my way home. can you change just the ball joint or do you need to swap the whole control arm.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:45 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

You can change just the ball joint. It unbolts from the control arm
Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 PM

#5581 ....
Old 07-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

is there a write up on vaccum hoses? i dont know which are which and wonna know exactly which are the one's.
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/331095-need-diagram-iacv-throttle-body-vacuum-lines.html
how do i know if i need to replace my MAF? i have 2 bad injectors so the car runs kinda crappy already. like what do i look for when i check it? and if i clean it how would i do that and would that fix it is bad/dirty.
car won't rev past 2000 if it's bad. car may run a little lean if it's dirty. use maf cleaner, available at most part stores.
pretty straight forward. your cable is broken. they are about 75 ea., iirc on courtesy's site. will need to remove the exhaust shielding from the brake lever back, under the car. takes about 2 hours, with water breaks.
also when i brake it makes a sound in the front brakes like a stretching noise, what can this be? sounds like brake pads need replaced
see above
Old 07-20-2010, 03:01 PM

ok I don't really know what's going on here. my passenger side window will not roll up with the drivers side button but will roll up with the passenger button. it used to work every now n then. started making funny noises but still worked every now n then now it just doesn't work. bad button? bad wiring? whatsup?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:07 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by IDFKmaxima
ok I don't really know what's going on here. my passenger side window will not roll up with the drivers side button but will roll up with the passenger button. it used to work every now n then. started making funny noises but still worked every now n then now it just doesn't work. bad button? bad wiring? whatsup?
bad driver side master switch, hit up your local junkyard for a replacement..
Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
see above
10+
thanks a lot bruh, the link helped alot

i needed that cuz i want to replace them with silicone hoses.
now all i need to know where the fuel lines are so i dont mistakenly swap it
cuz i know fuel line cant use silicone hoses -_-

Last edited by nyc_ink; 07-20-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Banned

also when i brake it makes a sound in the front brakes like a stretching noise, what can this be?
if the ebrake dosent work then check the rear break shoes or pads.. they might be totally wore out.
if it makes a scretching noise then its prolly time to get new break pads.

oopsss... haha. just saw that ben answered.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
if the ebrake dosent work then check the rear break shoes or pads.. they might be totally wore out.
if it makes a scretching noise then its prolly time to get new break pads.

oopsss... haha. just saw that ben answered.
yea im thinking of getting some HAWK Pads and new rotors
Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 PM

alright so i got all of my engine work done a couple weeks ago and he did a complete inspection, and all of this was bad

- oil leak
- inner tie rods
- need a alignment
- brake pads
- missing front swaybar mount
- control arm bushings
- right rear caliper partially seized

he said one of the parts would be nearly impossible to get new now and to get it from the junkyard but i cant remember which, i checked around and are these the correct tie rods?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-INN...Q5fAccessories

and these control arm bushings?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Low...Q5fAccessories

what about the swaybar mount? i cant find it on Ebay or Courtesy, know where i can find one? thanks

Last edited by chrome91; 07-20-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
alright so i got all of my engine work done a couple weeks ago and he did a complete inspection, and all of this was bad

- oil leak
- inner tie rods
- need a alignment
- brake pads
- missing front swaybar mount
- control arm bushings
- right rear caliper partially seized

he said one of the parts would be nearly impossible to get new now and to get it from the junkyard but i cant remember which, i checked around and are these the correct tie rods?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-INN...Q5fAccessories

and these control arm bushings?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Low...Q5fAccessories

what about the swaybar mount? i cant find it on Ebay or Courtesy, know where i can find one? thanks

search for the kit on ebay, i think i payed like $125 for control arms/ball joints/ inner and outer tie rods.

edit*

this is the kit i bought, here yah go bruh
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BALL-...ht_1933wt_1167

Last edited by nyc_ink; 07-20-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:43 PM

So it's been about 2 weeks since I finished swapping my transmission, and replacing various seals, and the clutch. Only problem is that after I fixed the transmission leak, oil started leaking from somewhere!

It's pooling and dripping from where the tranny meets the block. It's not a ton of oil, but any oil leak is cause for concern. It's a brand new rear main seal so I can't imagine that would be leaking. I read that it could be the oil pan gasket, or valve covers but I'm skeptical. I know for a fact it's engine oil. The transmission is not leaking, I've already checked.

Any other ideas? Is it possible the rear main is leaking? What are the chances of a brand new seal being bad? The leak is worse after it's been driven a long distance.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:22 AM

How incredibly impossible would it be for a noob like myself to replace the valve cover gaskets?

My idle is a bit erratic (starts about 1200, after a bit of driving my idle drops to 5-600)
Old 07-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by eM16
How incredibly impossible would it be for a noob like myself to replace the valve cover gaskets?

My idle is a bit erratic (starts about 1200, after a bit of driving my idle drops to 5-600)
rear one is easy. front one involves taking the intake manifold off, buying new gaskets for it, cleaning up the mating surface for that also, not breaking vac hoses, etc. o and getting the freaking EGR pipe to come loose. if you've done stuff like that before, then not too hard. if not, you might consider asking for help with it.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)