3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
you mean where the rolls of seat-belt are? they are under the center console for the shoulder portion, and they are in the b-pillars for the lap portion.
Yup. I'm finding a way to remove the center console. How will I remove it without removing the seats?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Laevateinn
Yup. I'm finding a way to remove the center console. How will I remove it without removing the seats?
slide the seats all the way up to get to the screws in the back of the console. don't forget the 2 big screws that are under that t-shaped cover in front of the ebrake lever
Old 05-02-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by 3rdGenSpooky
My question is, has anyone ever tried to fit nissan Cefiro or Laurel parts onto their 3rd Gen max? Ive been lookin for a carbon hood for this for years, just recently found a realy sick one, but its for the nissan laurel, found another beast for the nissan cefiro(that one is the most promising) but the hoods and basic body shape look identical. just let me know if anyone has tried part swapping with these?
this gen Laurel? doubt it will fit

generally the closest body style to 3rd gens are A31 Cefiro, i wanted to try some chassis braces for A31 Cefiro but the consensus is that they wont work because of RWD/wheelbase
Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Laevateinn
yep just the screws, its easy. my Sparco's are near impossible to adjust so i never have but i still took out my center console (it was always in the way lol)
Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

dont not ***** up this thread to get to 15 posts...just ask your question here...
Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How bout the Cefiro? the frame and sizes look almost identical, also they have been associated with maximas in other countries, anyone tried partswapping with these?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by 3rdGenSpooky
How bout the Cefiro? the frame and sizes look almost identical, also they have been associated with maximas in other countries, anyone tried partswapping with these?
it's a totally different car...no body parts are gonna swap to the maxima from it...
Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by chrome91
this gen Laurel? doubt it will fit

generally the closest body style to 3rd gens are A31 Cefiro, i wanted to try some chassis braces for A31 Cefiro but the consensus is that they wont work because of RWD/wheelbase
Cefiro is a no go. The mounting points & dimensions of the body panels are all different. You're looking at quite a bit of custom work... radiator support, bumper, turn signal mounts, the list goes on. You essentially have to fabricate most every mount or support on the front clip. Almost none of the angles on the front clip match up to a Maxima. If you want to do the hood, you have to do the headlights, turn signals & grill as well as customize the parts you're adding; if you do any of that you have to do the bumper and quarter panels, too. None of it lines up. Look closely at the two cars & you'll see what I mean. If you have questions about retrofitting Cefiro front clip parts on a Max, PM me & I'll help as much as I can. Be prepared for work. Unless you have the time, fab skills and dedication it isn't worth starting. LOL it isn't one of those "it'd look cool" weekend projects

Inside dimensions and mounts are an unknown as far as my knowledge base goes. I've been wondering about the chasis bracing as well.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
dont not ***** up this thread to get to 15 posts...just ask your question here...
Old 05-03-2011, 11:13 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Old 05-06-2011, 03:45 AM

I have a '90 Maxima that I picked up and want to know if there is an on-line owners manual somewhere? I could not find one on www.NissanUSA.com
Old 05-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by RSpi
I have a '90 Maxima that I picked up and want to know if there is an on-line owners manual somewhere? I could not find one on www.NissanUSA.com
maxima.org search?

sorry, I haven't found one
but they go for cheap on ebay.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:49 AM

Ok, I started the car today and there is a little smoke coming from the oil filler area. I assume it is NOT coming from the oil filler but maybe a leaking gasket on the back side of the motor somewhere. Is there a breather system that should be inspected and cleaned regularly? If it's the gasket back there how much of a pita is it to replace (any tips)?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by RSpi
Ok, I started the car today and there is a little smoke coming from the oil filler area. I assume it is NOT coming from the oil filler but maybe a leaking gasket on the back side of the motor somewhere. Is there a breather system that should be inspected and cleaned regularly? If it's the gasket back there how much of a pita is it to replace (any tips)?
the breather system on the VG is just 2 large vac hoses, one on the front valve cover, one on the rear that wraps around a hardline to the back valve cover. There is a little flame arrestor thing in one or both of the hoses (little steel pipe cleaner looking thing) that accumulates oil on it sometimes but i wouldn't really think that anything in that system would be responsible for smoke.

A valve cover gasket leaking oil onto the hot exhaust manifold would make more sense. Rear valve cover on VG can be changed with relative ease with a #3 screwdriver (nothing smaller or you will strip the screws) and a couple other basic tools, front valve requires intake manifold removal tho.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:26 PM

my 1990 GXE has low compression on cylinder number 5. Mechanic said he doesn't know how much longer engine will last. Sometimes it runs really really smooth. After driving and parked, come back out and start and its missing really hard. Doesn't really wanna go at all. Sometimes this clears up, but sometimes not. Come out early in the morning and start up, it's running smoother again. It always has a miss at idle, but sometimes it's worst than others. I don't get it. Why does it come and go? Does low compression mean my engine will be dying soon?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by watkins2010
my 1990 GXE has low compression on cylinder number 5. Mechanic said he doesn't know how much longer engine will last. Sometimes it runs really really smooth. After driving and parked, come back out and start and its missing really hard. Doesn't really wanna go at all. Sometimes this clears up, but sometimes not. Come out early in the morning and start up, it's running smoother again. It always has a miss at idle, but sometimes it's worst than others. I don't get it. Why does it come and go? Does low compression mean my engine will be dying soon?
did the mechanic actually run a compression tester or he just equated the misfire to being caused by low compresison? it could also be a bad injector, which you can test with a multimeter to find out if its resistance is too high (corroded internal wire). But if he DID actually use a compression tester, what PSI did he say cyl 5 was getting compared to the other cylinders?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:30 AM

did the mechanic actually run a compression tester or he just equated the misfire to being caused by low compresison? it could also be a bad injector, which you can test with a multimeter to find out if its resistance is too high (corroded internal wire). But if he DID actually use a compression tester, what PSI did he say cyl 5 was getting compared to the other cylinders?
Yes he did do a compression test. It's been a while since this was done and I can't remember what psi he said it was at. All I remember is that he said the rest were right where they should be. I don't think that it was terribly lower than the rest though.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 AM

Yes he did do a compression test. It's been a while since this was done and I can't remember what psi he said it was at. All I remember is that he said the rest were right where they should be. I don't think that it was terribly lower than the rest though.
Well I found the reciept and the number 5 cylinder was at 90. So I guess it was rather low. Should I be engine hunting or maybe fuel injector?? Not ready to give up on this car yet.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Well I found the receipt and the number 5 cylinder was at 90. So I guess it was rather low. Should I be engine hunting or maybe fuel injector?? Not ready to give up on this car yet.
It's weird though. it comes and goes. it'll drive so smooth most times, then sometimes it'll just sputter, stumble whatever you wanna call it. Like it looses so much power and it's so shaky. It pretty much always has a little putt putt at Idle. Also when I turn the AC on, the miss at idle stops. The mechanic doesn't says that he don't think it'll do any good to do injectors. He suggests a rebuild, or find a rebuilt engine. I don't know what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated..
Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

It's weird though. it comes and goes. it'll drive so smooth most times, then sometimes it'll just sputter, stumble whatever you wanna call it. Like it looses so much power and it's so shaky. It pretty much always has a little putt putt at Idle. Also when I turn the AC on, the miss at idle stops. The mechanic doesn't says that he don't think it'll do any good to do injectors. He suggests a rebuild, or find a rebuilt engine. I don't know what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated..
well, it sounds exactly like an injector. slight miss at idle, sporadic miss under load;
Ohm test the injectors. 10-14 ohms is in spec, anything else needs replacement (chances are one will be 100+ ohms; probably #5...)
Old 05-17-2011, 02:56 PM

okay thanks!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 PM

ok what is this and what does it do and where does it go? cuz its hanging freely

is this supposed to be connected to something? the tube thats sticking out in the L shape that looks broken. cuz its also hanging freely

Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

the tube is a breather...

dunno about the other thing. what's on the other side of it? is there any discernable writing (part number) on it?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 PM

what does the top of that cap say?

do you have a SE? i remember checking out a SE and i think it was the strut tower caps that had wiring going on it like that for the Sport/Comfort settings?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

do you have a SE? i remember checking out a SE and i think it was the strut tower caps that had wiring going on it like that for the Sport/Comfort settings?
i thought it was the 89 GXE with Digi-dash that had the electronic struts?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:39 PM

i have a 90 Brougham Edition maxima. dont know if it an SE or not cuz its been painted before so idk wat color the mirrors where before. i have the fully loaded 3rd gen max wit sonar suspension and digital dash and leather seats etc..
Old 05-17-2011, 05:44 PM

i thought it was the 89 GXE with Digi-dash that had the electronic struts?
thats right i think it was a Brougham i might have been looking at

either way i think that pops over the strut tower, if you have a digi cluster you have a Brougham (kinda like a deluxe GXE)
Old 05-17-2011, 06:33 PM

the tube is a breather...

dunno about the other thing. what's on the other side of it? is there any discernable writing (part number) on it?
breather for what?

yea ill check tomorrow for what it says
Old 05-18-2011, 05:52 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
breather for what?

yea ill check tomorrow for what it says
the transmission. and, yea, i think the tube is broken.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 AM

ok what is this and what does it do and where does it go? cuz its hanging freely

My guess would be that it goes on top of the strut for the electric suspension. If you changed your struts, more than likely they're the non-adjustable ones so that device can't be used.

Last edited by jbbons25; 05-18-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello everyone, I am about to go and buy a 93 maxima with a VE and 5 speed. It does have the VTC clack. After it warms up, it seems like some of it goes away but still clacks pretty loudly. If you rev the engine to about 2000 rpm or more, the clacking goes away. My question is can the VTC clack vary with the rpm of the engine? Could it be something else like a faulty tensioner? The car is in pretty good shape and runs really smooth. I think it has 174000 mi on it if i remember correctly. Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

breather for what?
for the thing it's attached to (the transmission)
Old 05-19-2011, 05:02 PM

for the thing it's attached to (the transmission)
that was already clarified buddy lol
Old 05-19-2011, 05:04 PM

its for the sonar suspension.
its says left front and left rear on that black thing
Old 05-22-2011, 02:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking for aftermarket headlight asembly

I have a stock looking 94 Maxima GXE. Trying to find some decent looking headlights and corner lamps to make the front end stand out more. I've looked into making some but i'm not really good at that kinda stuff so i'm looking for something that's mainly plug and play.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by takl49
I have a stock looking 94 Maxima GXE. Trying to find some decent looking headlights and corner lamps to make the front end stand out more. I've looked into making some but i'm not really good at that kinda stuff so i'm looking for something that's mainly plug and play.
you can get clear corner lights on Ebay for $20-$30, just search it and you'll find it there. might have to re-seal them because most get moisture in them (like one of mine did)

headlights you can try and find some Euro headlights (hard to find now) or do the BMW headlight swap
Old 05-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

you can get clear corner lights on Ebay for $20-$30, just search it and you'll find it there. might have to re-seal them because most get moisture in them (like one of mine did)

headlights you can try and find some Euro headlights (hard to find now) or do the BMW headlight swap
Do you have a link to the BMW swap and do they fit in the stock assembly?
Old 05-22-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by takl49
Do you have a link to the BMW swap and do they fit in the stock assembly?
just search it here, theres a few threads. i dont think its easy to swap, a few people have done it but not fully properly, i think 3 or 4 have done the BMW swap perfectly. just dig through some threads for the info

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?searchid=1870180
Old 05-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi everyone. My 93 Maxima has been doing some strange things lately. A few weeks back, my stereo (original Bose), stopped producing sound. The antenna died long ago, but I always had sound from the stereo. CD doesn't work either...never has. The strangeness is what happens when I turn the headlights on. I get a clicking noise from near the fuse box (near driver door). It isn't constant...it's more sporadic. A few days after the stereo stopped producing sound, when I'd turn the headlights on, it would play sound for a few minutes and then the clicking and then nothing. Any ideas? I've replaced the fuses...didn't do anything.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by simo711
Hi everyone. My 93 Maxima has been doing some strange things lately. A few weeks back, my stereo (original Bose), stopped producing sound. The antenna died long ago, but I always had sound from the stereo. CD doesn't work either...never has. The strangeness is what happens when I turn the headlights on. I get a clicking noise from near the fuse box (near driver door). It isn't constant...it's more sporadic. A few days after the stereo stopped producing sound, when I'd turn the headlights on, it would play sound for a few minutes and then the clicking and then nothing. Any ideas? I've replaced the fuses...didn't do anything.

Thanks!
see if you can find the actual component over in that area that's making clicking sound.. maybe a relay or something. or a control unit for something. makes me wonder if your wiring didn't somehow get a little melted and allow wires from 2 unrelated circuits of the car to touch each other..

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)