3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys you may have covered this but I have a 1990 Maxima SE that I just bought and it has roughly 168,000 miles on it. It was owned buy an elderly person as far as I know so it has never been driven hard. It sat for eight months and I just had a tune up done within the past week.

It shakes pretty bad at idle(only when its in drive and at a complete stop)

Its rpm reading at idle is about 800 when this happens. Any advice or suggestions?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Byron1989
Hey guys you may have covered this but I have a 1990 Maxima SE that I just bought and it has roughly 168,000 miles on it. It was owned buy an elderly person as far as I know so it has never been driven hard. It sat for eight months and I just had a tune up done within the past week.

It shakes pretty bad at idle(only when its in drive and at a complete stop)

Its rpm reading at idle is about 800 when this happens. Any advice or suggestions?
few things I would check:
motor mounts
vacuum leaks
fuel injectors/fuel filter
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay and i forgot to mention that it makes a low chugging sound when accelerating at low speeds.
I hope its not the injectors, I heard that they can be expensive. I'm operating on a college stundent budget right now so there isn't much "disposable income' over here.
I will check all three of the suggestions tho...
Old 07-19-2011, 11:37 AM

Okay and i forgot to mention that it makes a low chugging sound when accelerating at low speeds.
I hope its not the injectors, I heard that they can be expensive. I'm operating on a college stundent budget right now so there isn't much "disposable income' over here.
I will check all three of the suggestions tho...
Is there still old fuel from the car sitting in the tank?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello I posted about my speedometer yesterday and currrently am in a search of a intrument cluster. But I would like to know, which is the best way to determine if it is the intrument panel or speed sensor. My speedometer stopped working and it went on intermentently for 2 days, then my odometer gave out with it the next day. could it be the sensor since both of them went out?Thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maxkiller
Is there still old fuel from the car sitting in the tank?
Nah...all of that was driven out on the ride home and I had a tune up last week.
It makes a chugging sound when accelerating from a low speed. I've listened closely when driving it and as it idles and I do not hear anything out of the ordinary. The motor is very quiet but it shakes at idle speed(when its in DRIVE and also Reverse as of today) and it chugs when accelerating.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:07 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by CF161FF
I just recently bought a 2001 Maxima SE and my service engine soon light came on today. but when I checked it with my code reader it said there is no trouble codes. Anyone ever heard of this or had it happen to them?
wrong forum man.....two floor up from this one...
Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This isn't a question more so a statement, tonight my 1992 maxima se was sold. As in mine i mean my parents they owned it and somebody came by wanting to buy it. The car had 149,000 on it and was supposed to be my first car. After severe hail damage i got a rustang to drive. No I dont like the stang as much. I already miss the car well my dad has a 5th gen might try gettin it
Old 07-21-2011, 11:04 AM

Nah...all of that was driven out on the ride home and I had a tune up last week.
It makes a chugging sound when accelerating from a low speed. I've listened closely when driving it and as it idles and I do not hear anything out of the ordinary. The motor is very quiet but it shakes at idle speed(when its in DRIVE and also Reverse as of today) and it chugs when accelerating.

I had a similar situation that resulted in drilling out five broken manifold studs. That was particularly terrible but exhaust leaks can produce that chugging at low speeds/rpm. Hopefully its an easier fix than studs tho. Maybe it just needs a new y pipe... perhaps warpspeed id take a look for an exhaust leak.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:08 PM

Are you getting any codes from your ecu?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:25 PM

i have a 93 maxima GXE i have a few issues

1 i have a raw gas smell coming from the front of the car
replaced fuel filter still smell it
did a tune up (wires,plugs,cap,rotor,and coil) and still smell it

2 when my car is at the lowest point of the gas guage at e i can still drive for 20 miles or so and the gas light does not come on

3 as with #2 i am at the lowest point of E and i put 11 gallons of gas in my car and it takes it to 3/4 tank when my tank is an 18.5 gallon tank

4 my fuel milage stinks i am getting about 12-14mpg city highway does not seem to be much more than city

5 SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME
Old 07-22-2011, 10:27 PM

I want to make a cat back exhaust for my maxima what is the best size to go with i already have a greddy evo II axle back on it i want to make it sound really nice
Old 07-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

93 DOHC misfires

Hey guys, got a nice 93 coil over 3.0L DOHC but it's developed some random misfires that are getting increasingly worse. It seems to be dropping cylinders. I checked the codes but it's showing me Code 55 - no malfunction. 2 of the 6 plugs are damp, 1 is wet (both banks) I've checked the MAF everything looks good. Only changes in the intake has been a cold air kit and the only change in the exhaust is a high flow muffler. Exhaust has become dark and smells of unburned fuel.
i'd lean toward a restricted cat but has plenty of exhaust pressure at the back. Any Ideas?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by JD Sk8
Hey guys, got a nice 93 coil over 3.0L DOHC but it's developed some random misfires that are getting increasingly worse. It seems to be dropping cylinders. I checked the codes but it's showing me Code 55 - no malfunction. 2 of the 6 plugs are damp, 1 is wet (both banks) I've checked the MAF everything looks good. Only changes in the intake has been a cold air kit and the only change in the exhaust is a high flow muffler. Exhaust has become dark and smells of unburned fuel.
i'd lean toward a restricted cat but has plenty of exhaust pressure at the back. Any Ideas?
Injectors. Test them with a multimeter for resistance between 10-14 ohms. Anything seriously either side of that means your Injectors are stuffed. If not, it may be the o-rings have been installed incorrectly.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Banned

can anyone tell me what the correct tire size would be for 4th generation maxima wheels on my maxima? would it be the 215/65/16? or would it be 205/65/16? or what I am kinda confused and cant seem to find anything in the search.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Logan_Gibson
can anyone tell me what the correct tire size would be for 4th generation maxima wheels on my maxima? would it be the 215/65/16? or would it be 205/65/16? or what I am kinda confused and cant seem to find anything in the search.
i searched it and got 205/65
Old 07-24-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Logan_Gibson
For the 4th gen 16" wheels its 215/55/16. 15" is 205/65/15
Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 PM

i am looking for ways to cool down my maxima temperature i was thinking of a hood scoop but that quickly changed then i thought about making the fans run off a switch would running them off a switch be beneficial to me and what other things could i do to lower the cars temperature
Old 07-28-2011, 04:44 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by newbie_maxima
i am looking for ways to cool down my maxima temperature i was thinking of a hood scoop but that quickly changed then i thought about making the fans run off a switch would running them off a switch be beneficial to me and what other things could i do to lower the cars temperature
is the car running in the middle of the gauge's range? if not, you have problems, and need to fix those before modding something to "help"

if it is, don't do anything, you want it there. you will lose performance from not having the temp in the correct range.

oh, and switches for e-fans are for race cars (meaning off road, never see the street), and f***ed brain ricers.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exhausat Leak

Originally Posted by Maxkiller
Are you getting any codes from your ecu?
Okay so I checked on the issue and its an exhaust leak. I think its pretty bad but the car still drives and is fairly quick. I'll probably change the entire exhaust system in the next few weeks.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by newbie_maxima
whats the issue? if youre overheating, somethings up. most likely the water pump is sh1tting out, thermostat is fawked, etc. also check your radiator level (when the cars cooled off or else you'll get scalded) and the rad overflow

otherwise unless youre on the track going at 6k RPM constantly or drifting and smoking the rev limiter theres no reason, your thermostat will keep it at the perfect temperature itself.

if youre persistent, Mishimoto makes universal all-metal radiators, Maxima ones are only made for 4th gens and up. i was going to use a universal one but of course my car blew up. all metal rads dont have the crappy plastic on them hence why i never use plastic ones anymore
Old 08-01-2011, 07:39 PM
swr

Cruise control stopped working

vehicle is a 92 max gxe auto

HI Everyone, thanks for all the past help. I have been searching threads for a couple diagnosis to help me on a few things I have trying to get fixed first my cruise control stopped working on me , the green light comes on the push button switch to turn the cruise control on , other than that nothing when i go to set it it on steering wheel nothing nor does the dash light for cruise not working either was working fine a few weeks ago , I looked for fuses none to be found fusilbe links in some areas any ways I cant find any fusible links for the cruise unless I am missing something ? I am here to ask any help it diagnosis the cruise control and get it working again the cruise is nice to have a road trip etc...

any one else have the same prob b4 or can give some advise a big thanks for everything

Scott
more questions to soon follow ~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 PM
swr

Think I founds some tips to start with

Originally Posted by swr

HI Everyone, thanks for all the past help. I have been searching threads for a couple diagnosis to help me on a few things I have trying to get fixed first my cruise control stopped working on me , the green light comes on the push button switch to turn the cruise control on , other than that nothing when i go to set it it on steering wheel nothing nor does the dash light for cruise not working either was working fine a few weeks ago , I looked for fuses none to be found fusilbe links in some areas any ways I cant find any fusible links for the cruise unless I am missing something ? I am here to ask any help it diagnosis the cruise control and get it working again the cruise is nice to have a road trip etc...

any one else have the same prob b4 or can give some advise a big thanks for everything

Scott
more questions to soon follow ~~~~~~~~~~~~`
this link has a lot of cruise control info will keep you posted on my progress
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...sues-help.html
Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by swr

There are switches on the brake and clutch pedals to disengage the cruise control when you depress them. Check them.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 PM
swr

need more tracing advise with cruise control fix

Originally Posted by swr
this link has a lot of cruise control info will keep you posted on my progress
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...sues-help.html
OK I as the above link and thread talks about I just checked all the fuses all ok getting 12 volts to acsd relay , was thinking the relay might be bad I swapped the a/c relay ( which is the exact same #) and acsd still just the green light on cruise switch nothing when trying to engage cruise on steering wheel . the above linked thread DennisMik Senior Member mentioned 2 relays A hold & inhibitor my 92 max gxe relay box in front of battery has ten relay slots the fog light one is missing due to its a gxe top row left to right is listed as fog light , start, rad fan 3, rad fan 2, rad fan 1 bottom row left to right is ASCD, air con ? i think its hard to read that one, bulb check , Horn, wipers. so which one would be the second relay Dennis mentioned not sure the one acsd that is labeled on cover is a hold or inhibitor relay ? where should I start tracing from here if power and relays are working anyone else out there ? been through this and got their cruise issue traced and fixed let me know of any tips to trace down the problem really appreciate any input

I didnt want to post this back on that old thread link above not sure if anyone would see it ?
Thanks again

Scott
Old 08-01-2011, 10:19 PM
swr

Cruise control issue continued

Originally Posted by swr
OK I as the above link and thread talks about I just checked all the fuses all ok getting 12 volts to acsd relay , was thinking the relay might be bad I swapped the a/c relay ( which is the exact same #) and acsd still just the green light on cruise switch nothing when trying to engage cruise on steering wheel . the above linked thread DennisMik Senior Member mentioned 2 relays A hold & inhibitor my 92 max gxe relay box in front of battery has ten relay slots the fog light one is missing due to its a gxe top row left to right is listed as fog light , start, rad fan 3, rad fan 2, rad fan 1 bottom row left to right is ASCD, air con ? i think its hard to read that one, bulb check , Horn, wipers. so which one would be the second relay Dennis mentioned not sure the one acsd that is labeled on cover is a hold or inhibitor relay ? where should I start tracing from here if power and relays are working anyone else out there ? been through this and got their cruise issue traced and fixed let me know of any tips to trace down the problem really appreciate any input

I didnt want to post this back on that old thread link above not sure if anyone would see it ?
Thanks again

Scott
I just wanted to mention I was driving at 55 to retest the cruise i think 50 mph it would work b4 too, wondering if its that second mysterious relay i read about and not sure what one? and where it is ? as its not labeled?

assuming to start tracing to see if getting voltage to acsd module would be next ? would you have to be driving to test the module to have voltage ? would be quite tricky (LOL) is their any fusible links any tips tricks or helpful advise greatly appreciated to get me continued in the right direction for a fix.

Scott
Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 PM
swr

Originally Posted by DennisMik
There are switches on the brake and clutch pedals to disengage the cruise control when you depress them. Check them.
Thank you for the reply Dennis I did have to change one of those pedal plugs that keep you brake light from staying on I will check the on off switch to the cruise on my bake pedal too i have a automatic so no clutch pedal its a 92 max gxe any suggestions on those 2 seperate relays you mentioned b4 ? as i mentioned b4 I only saw one listed in my relay box

Thanks again for your sharing knowledge

Scott
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now, and I need some help. I have sufficient spark and compression in all cylinders, so I know it's not that. But its running really rich, and it almost sounds like a misfire when it's warm. I tested for compression and spark when it was cold and full temp, no change. Would bad vacuum leaks cause it to run that rich? Anything else I should check? I'd also like to know if the timing is adjustable and where the ground wire is to time it by timing light if it is. Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Greetings!
I have a few problems with my ’93 Maxima SE (manual) that I’m looking for some input on.

Background:
Starter died in August 2008, didn’t have money to replace it so the car sat in my driveway for 2 years. Finally replaced starter June 2010, car would only run with ISOHeat in the tank (forgot to add gas stabilizer). Replaced fuel filter, still no go without ISOHeat. Took to Napa mechanic July 2010, replaced the fuel tank due to “an inch of sludge in the bottom of the tank and smells like turpentine”. Car ran ok for 2 months, started dying while driving. Friend advised fuel pump is likely dying. Money problems again so Car sat for another 6 months. Finally replaced fuel pump 3 weeks ago (thank to the posts here, much easier than I feared!) and car is running again, with a few issues. Replaced fuel filter again 2 days ago. Still have issues.

Issues:
#1: Reduced power and shuddering/chugging/not-the-smooth-whine-it-used-to-have in the low RPM range (1000-3500)

#2: Car, once warmed up, stalls or at least drops RPMs to 200ish before slowly going back to idle RPMs (750ish) when letting off the gas and not in gear, usually when coming to a stop or taking a sharp turn, but also when driving straight though not as fast as when turning or braking. Infrequently actually dies completely at a stop or turn. Starts fine after dies. Has a bit of trouble starting if parked with the engine pointing up a sloped parking or driveway and the engine is still warm. Drives fine when cold other than the first symptom.

I’m suspicious of a vacuum leak or maybe a fuel vapor line blockage, but am looking for some experienced owners thoughts.

Thanks for reading!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 AM
swr

need more advise with cruise control issue

Originally Posted by swr

Thanks again

Scott
I also checked cut out switch on brake pedel is working ok any suggestions on where to go and check from now again only found 1 marked ascd relay in front of battery how do you go about checking the ascd control module ? and any other things i should trace down to get this working ? thanks again
Scott
Old 08-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update to my post above:

Replaced all 4mm vacuum hoses with nice blue high grade silicon hoses, found small crack in the hose going from fuel filter to engine right at the clamp so moved the tube further onto the metal pipe so it is now directly under the clamp. No gas smell at the crack. Adjusted idle to about 950 RPM. Car still sluggish at low RPMs and RPMs still drop once it's warm.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Found the "Strange Hesitation" thread with people having similar issues and have paid a bit more attention to my heat guage and the idle / dying issue seems directly related to the temp. Going to replace the coolant temp sensor and see if that works.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:15 AM
swr

How to pull obd 1 codes on 92 max gxe auto

HI everyone sorry to ask for the link but my computer is acting up and having a very slow time searching can some one please post the link to the instructional page on the full process of pulling obd 1 codes for a 92 max gxe

I know I saw it b4 somehwere but having trouble surfing
thanks greatly appreciate it

Scott
Old 08-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Greeting - another newb here. Just bought a 94 GXE on Thursday and have to say I'm really liking it. I've always been a Maxima fan so I jumped on the opportunity. Car's got 150,000 miles on it and runs without a miss. Small oil leak that looks like the pan gasket.

Bigger issues are the struts - all need to be replaced. Should be done next week. The CV boots are both torn so I'll do those as well.

Other than needing a hood repaint it's a great car.

A couple of questions related to the electrical:

The two rear speakers don't work - is that a problem area others have experienced. Also, the car has a factory security alarm but it goes off when you open the door with the key. Then you have to walk back and open the trunk to get it to shut off. Can you just disconnect the main anti-theft fuse from the engine compartment to disable the alarm or will that cause other problems. We live in the country on a dead end road and drive into a small town - really no reason for an anti-theft system.

Finally, the trunk release push button on the door doesn't release the trunk. Is that an electrical issue or maybe just release cable thing?

Looking forward to learning more about this car.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by gitanesteel
Greeting - another newb here. Just bought a 94 GXE on Thursday and have to say I'm really liking it. I've always been a Maxima fan so I jumped on the opportunity. Car's got 150,000 miles on it and runs without a miss. Small oil leak that looks like the pan gasket.

Bigger issues are the struts - all need to be replaced. Should be done next week. The CV boots are both torn so I'll do those as well.

The two rear speakers don't work - is that a problem area others have experienced.
What kind of radio do you have? Bose, stock, or aftermarket? will help get a better answer.
Also, the car has a factory security alarm but it goes off when you open the door with the key. Then you have to walk back and open the trunk to get it to shut off. Can you just disconnect the main anti-theft fuse from the engine compartment to disable the alarm or will that cause other problems. We live in the country on a dead end road and drive into a small town - really no reason for an anti-theft system.
typically associated with a bad sensor in the handle assembly, iirc. not uncommon, but not a "common problem" either.
Finally, the trunk release push button on the door doesn't release the trunk. Is that an electrical issue or maybe just release cable thing?
listen for a click from the trunk area. if you hear one, it's a problem with the latch assembly, or cable.
If there's NO click, there's an electrical problem somewhere. Time to get the multimeter ready...

Responded in quote.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:30 PM
swr

how to check ecu codes these links are dead

OK I finally got internet connection to work so was tryong to locate links on how to check the ecu codes found this posted below by cape cadaver in maintenance thread but the links are dead for thr video and other link is dead maybe some one cN POST A UPDATE thanks

OK for those of you with a 5-mode system... including the guy who started this thread...

warm up your car, shut it off, wait 15 seconds, then do exactly as I do in the following video:

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MVI_2370.flv

if you get a 55 like I did, that means you are error-free. If you get something else.... then you have something to fix.

but anyhow, my previous error code 33 led me to do this http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...0sensor%20fix/ (yes the harness is covered in PS fluid...... i'm hoping to fix that soon)
Old 08-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by gitanesteel

The two rear speakers don't work - is that a problem area others have experienced. Also, the car has a factory security alarm but it goes off when you open the door with the key. Then you have to walk back and open the trunk to get it to shut off. Can you just disconnect the main anti-theft fuse from the engine compartment to disable the alarm or will that cause other problems. We live in the country on a dead end road and drive into a small town - really no reason for an anti-theft system.

Radio is stock am/fm cassette, not Bose. The display for the radio doesn't work but that's not a big deal since I'll probably put an aftermarket cd player in it. However, having the rear speakers function would be nice.

For the trunk there's definitely a click so I'll start with the latch and see if it's just an alignment issue.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi folks. I was just given a 1990 Maxima SE w/auto trans and 243k on the clock. It's got a few issues but I'll start with the major one. The car will start and run good (but absolutely gut-less in the power department, may be timing issue?) but if I shut it down and try to start it up again it won't start!

First I checked out the fuel pressure (after the filter, before the rails) and came up with 55psi. Next I decided to check the OHMs on the injectors, upon doing this I noticed ALL of the injectors & injector plugs were corroded, so I cleaned them up (sand blaster FTW) and tested them, lowest reading was 10.9 and highest was 13.4, the rest were in the mid 11.? range.

So I had let the car sit for awhile, fired it up and let it run awhile. Shut it down then tried to start it again and again it wouldn't start. Checked to see if I was getting injector pulse or not and I did not.

What could be going on? What would cause the lack of injector pulse? I checked the codes in the ECU and came up with nothing.

Thank you in advance!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So i still have not been able to fix my speedometer, but I am getting terrible mileage, which is now down to 10-12mpg, I have to fill up every 5 days, and only get about 160 a tank used to get 220 or more before speedo gave out. could this be related? Thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

A couple of other issues as I work through the 93 GXE.

Oil leak - I cleaned oil debris off the oil pan and lower portion of the motor and tightened up the pan bolts. I also tightened the valve cover bolts - several were pretty loose and it definitely appears oil was coming from the back side of the valve cover. Still a little oil on the ground (size of a 50 cent piece or so this morning). The level on the dipstick is ok so it's not leaking a ton but seems to be a steady drip. I'm assuming maybe it's a seal somewhere for the rest of the leak and will keep an eye on it for another couple of days.

Factory theft system - I pulled both fuses (engine compartment and passenger fuse panel) and it seems to have disabled the alarm. However, the Security light still flashes on the dash - is that normal?

The passenger headlamp looks to be stripped on the long bolt next to the grille. The lamp just moves in and out. I'm assuming I need another lamp for that. Any good recommendations on aftermarket upgrades for the headlamps.

Bear with me - I'm a novice when it comes to some of this car repair stuff. I can build a bicycle from the frame up all day but cars are a different story.

Edit: a couple of photos of the leak. It's dripping from right where the pulleys sit next to the oil pan.

Looking from the front toward the pan - leak to the left of the pan.

Looking straight up to the leak and pan:

Last edited by gitanesteel; 08-15-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)