3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by mikekantor
On the VE30DE engine (SE 92-94) there are 3 on the radiator side which can come out without pulling the plenum, but it can be tricky and some may prefer to get the entire fuel rail out in which case its a bit of a squeeze. The other 3 are under the plenum.

Someone else will post on the VG30E engine (all other 3rd gens), I have never worked on that one.
Well I drive an SE and your little aside there may have just saved me a stupid amount of work. I was going to do all 6 since the plenum was coming off but, as you say, injectors 2, 4, 6 need not remove the plenum. Injector 2 is out. So heck, I'll just replace the single injector with a new unit.

Can't believe I didn't see it before. Yes, the fuel rail looks like it needs to come out, but I'll take care of that way easier than plenum removal.

If I'm about to screw up somebody let me know
Old 06-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mattyd
Well I drive an SE and your little aside there may have just saved me a stupid amount of work. I was going to do all 6 since the plenum was coming off but, as you say, injectors 2, 4, 6 need not remove the plenum. Injector 2 is out. So heck, I'll just replace the single injector with a new unit.

Can't believe I didn't see it before. Yes, the fuel rail looks like it needs to come out, but I'll take care of that way easier than plenum removal.

If I'm about to screw up somebody let me know
Before taking anything off, purchase some fuel hoses of the same diameter as those on either end of your fuel rail. Instead of trying to squeeze old ones off and ending up with cuts/bruises, just cut and replace. It should be a few bucks, but it will save you a lot of grief.

Make sure you release fuel pressure. Pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it a few times, if it starts up then just let it die and crank a few more times.

Use new o-rings for your replacement injector, and cover them in some engine oil so they dont rip when the injector goes back in.

A plug for a good guy: the member internetautomar sells injectors at a very good price and includes the necessary replacement rubber parts.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:44 PM

Hey, I'm looking into doing a VQ30DE engine swap, Ive heard peolple have done it but I can't find any information about it, does anyone know much about these swaps? I understand it wont be cheap and I'm willing to take the risk so if your just gonna post something say dont bother its gonna cost both legs and an arm please dont bother posting as I'm dead serious about doing this swap so please if you have a link or know someone that has done it I'd really like to know.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by dazedmaxima93
Hey, I'm looking into doing a VQ30DE engine swap, Ive heard peolple have done it but I can't find any information about it, does anyone know much about these swaps? I understand it wont be cheap and I'm willing to take the risk so if your just gonna post something say dont bother its gonna cost both legs and an arm please dont bother posting as I'm dead serious about doing this swap so please if you have a link or know someone that has done it I'd really like to know.
nobody here has info on the swap.
it may have been done (and has) but we have yet to come up with exactly what it takes. since you are serious, you may check the 300z forums, find people there who have done it. get the wiring info from there. metal fab will be on your own, anyway.

also, why go with the wimpy vq30 when you can get the 35 for just a little more? also, if you drive a 92-4 SE (dohc engine) it is not worth the effort to swap it out, since it has the same hp rating.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:11 PM

I'm going for the VQ30DE-K, I'm guessing it's easier to install than the VQ35 but I might change my mind after I do some more research and thanks for the adivse. Is the 300z similar to the J30? BTW I have a 93 SL so I only have the VG30E
Old 06-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by dazedmaxima93
I'm going for the VQ30DE-K, I'm guessing it's easier to install than the VQ35 but I might change my mind after I do some more research and thanks for the adivse. Is the 300z similar to the J30? BTW I have a 93 SL so I only have the VG30E
ah, ok. I didnt see you were from new zeland.
most of us are from the US, so there are only two models, the GXE and the SE. and the dek (you only said de, so i only checked that) is still an improvement over the dohc.
anyway, the 300zx (aka Fairlady Z) was a rwd sport car, and some of them had the vg30e engine in them. here is a wiki link about them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300zx
anyway, I hope you can actually do this, and be willing to post some info about what it took you.
have fun!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:26 PM

Sweet thanks, If this works then this will be the 2nd forum I post the results + how I did it, nz maxima forum first :P
Old 06-26-2008, 11:44 PM

I have a question how can i get some clean corner lights or where can i get some?
Old 06-27-2008, 06:26 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 92MAX92
I have a question how can i get some clean corner lights or where can i get some?
clean? like... without dirt and mud on them?

or was that a typo for "clear"? i think clear corners are actually illegal in many states, because it's a DOT requirement for there to be amber reflectors on the front-sides, and red on both the rear-sides and from the rear.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:55 AM
kthxbye2u

changing a spark plug...

noticed oil on it. it isnt burnt.. but that Cyl isnt firing anyways... bad ring?

havent checked the injectors yet

cyl 2 and 5 are not firing. and my car wont start now after a little drive to get my other vehicle any opinions?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
changing a spark plug...

noticed oil on it. it isnt burnt.. but that Cyl isnt firing anyways... bad ring?

havent checked the injectors yet

cyl 2 and 5 are not firing. and my car wont start now after a little drive to get my other vehicle any opinions?
is there oil in your crankcase vent system that maybe is entering the intake plenum thing? i dunno the configuration of a VE too well but gravity and airflow *could* be sucking oil into your clylinders IF you have an exorbitant amount coming in through your blowby hose or something. any blue smoke? and you checked all 6 plugs right?

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 06-27-2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: i spailed at felling.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:09 AM

Alright, really simple question here; are most all 3rd gen parts swappable? performance and cosmetic alike? b/c i know there were no major design changes in between years and i want to know if 94 parts will work for my 93?
thanks.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:34 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Garf
Alright, really simple question here; are most all 3rd gen parts swappable? performance and cosmetic alike? b/c i know there were no major design changes in between years and i want to know if 94 parts will work for my 93?
thanks.
you need to be careful when buying aftermarket parts marked as 94. A LOT of companies mark parts as 94, but they are in reality 95-99. The production year changed over in march of 94. So car produced from april of 94 are 1995 which shares almost nothing with the 3rd gen.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:36 PM

Awesome, thanks, i just noticed that when i searched for parts like CAI's, lights, etc. that a lot more parts would come up if you searched 94 instead of 93. Wanna throw me some good sites to order parts from if you know any?
Thanks again
Old 06-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Awesome, thanks, i just noticed that when i searched for parts like CAI's, lights, etc. that a lot more parts would come up if you searched 94 instead of 93. Wanna throw me some good sites to order parts from if you know any?
Thanks again
whaddya want? lights? which ones? stock, or aftermarket?
if you want good oem type parts(and some basic upgrades) internetautomar has a website devoted to maxima stuff. http://www.internetautosupply.com/catalog
want something better than a basic upgrade? eBay, or diy.

need help deciding which parts to get? try this
Old 06-30-2008, 11:52 AM

k so i'm getting a CAI, front strut bar, and looking at getting a larger throttle body. that's all i'm looking for as far as performance upgrades go for now. (I have the GXE with the SOHC VG30E, i'm pretty sure that's right?) And i hate to be doing cosmetic stuff so early (i just got my maxi a month ago) but i'm gonn do the clear corner light cuz its cheap, and probably euro-style headlights with HID bulbs or something. I can't find tailights anywhere, but i've heard things of skyline conversion kits? I'm not too worried about cosmetics right now, other than the two tone paint job i have on my car: main body colour is cream white and the bottom 6 inches around the side skirts and bumpers is like burnt**** brown so i'm buffing down the brown and prime, paint, clear to match the rest of the body.
Thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

k so i'm getting a CAI, front strut bar, and looking at getting a larger throttle body. that's all i'm looking for as far as performance upgrades go for now. (I have the GXE with the SOHC VG30E, i'm pretty sure that's right?) And i hate to be doing cosmetic stuff so early (i just got my maxi a month ago) but i'm gonn do the clear corner light cuz its cheap, and probably euro-style headlights with HID bulbs or something. I can't find tailights anywhere, but i've heard things of skyline conversion kits? I'm not too worried about cosmetics right now, other than the two tone paint job i have on my car: main body colour is cream white and the bottom 6 inches around the side skirts and bumpers is like burnt**** brown so i'm buffing down the brown and prime, paint, clear to match the rest of the body.
Thanks
skyline tails are all custom like jonmandude. remember the golden rule of HIDs, if you use them you gotta have hid-spec projectors to aim the light, otherwise you'll blind everyone and the angry drivers will get mad and hunt you down and burn your house down out of rage and then bake cookies in the flames. larger TB is gonna be a chore... going from a double tb to a bigger... well are you gonna have it ported out or what? I'm not sure what gains people have had from messing with the VG TBs. cream white aka pearl white is a PITA to match b/c it's a 3-layer paintjob not just a 2-layer like most every other color out there.

EDIT: i am teh 1337 post in teh n00b forumz!

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 06-30-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

91 maxima
when i bought it. it already had an old aftermarket jvc installed and a car phone. lol. and the wires really dont match up to the online guides.
anyone tell me whats what?

blue-green w/ yellow stripe--blue w/ white stripe
black w/ red stripe
red w/ yellow stripe
brown w/ white stripe--yellow
yellow w/ green stripe-red w/ fuse
brown--gray
black w/ red stripe--yellow--black
blue--white
black w/ white stripe--green
pink--purple
blue--green
brown w/ black stripe
these are the stock wires coming out of the harness going to the old jvc harness wires.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by oldspice
91 maxima
when i bought it. it already had an old aftermarket jvc installed and a car phone. lol. and the wires really dont match up to the online guides.

black w/ red stripe
red w/ yellow stripe
brown--gray
blue--white
pink--purple
blue--green
brown w/ black stripe
these are the stock wires coming out of the harness going to the old jvc harness wires.

[IMG]http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/big pic 1[IMG]
[IMG]http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/big pic 2[img]
for simplicity, I have always tried to use the head unit's wiring to decode the stock wiring stuff. it may take some googling of the hu, but it should be out there.
also, most hu manufacturers use standard colors on their part to mark which is which.
typically,
red=constant pwr
yellow=ign. power
blk. = gnd.

speakers are typically designated according to color on the car, for example, red and red/black go together. blue and blue black go together. etc...
Old 06-30-2008, 05:51 PM
mod or sell?

91 maxima

black w/ red stripe
red w/ yellow stripe
brown--gray
blue--white
pink--purple
blue--green
brown w/ black stripe

Goto JVC's website and look up the install manual and work your way backwards.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:33 PM

91 maxima

black w/ red stripe
red w/ yellow stripe
brown--gray
blue--white
pink--purple
blue--green
brown w/ black stripe
it really just depends what you're trying to do. if you're gonna install a new HU, just use the new aftermarket harness and a new nissan adapter and solder them together. or, you could cut off the jvc harness and reuse the nissan harness.

if you're just curious what wire goes to what, then like everyone else said...check with jvc.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:36 PM

Thanks
hey if you just got the car a month ago u should probably save your money on headlights and paintjobs for all the parts that are gonna start breaking down soon but if u magically got a problem free 15yr old car then dont worry about it
but **** a larger TB ya dont need at your level hell ya might even be causin turbulence issues and actually lose power
dump the cai idea cuz unless you do ur homework or spend big bucks on custom ur gonna lose power in the lowend for a small gain in mid to high end stock box is great on these cars dont change a thing "yet!"
front strut bars are great but id recommend spending less than double and just gettin entirely new front struts and springs the frontend is a little heavy so your gonna be smackin the hell out of the bottom unless you do that first(recommend koni )
also if your lookin for better airflow warpspeed performance makes a great exhaust kit for less than $600 and intake manifold spacers from nwp for about $150 other than turbo this is the best for the money
as for a cheap handling upgrade id go for the rear drum to disc swap youll get way better braking and it looks pretty ****ty having chrome rims over a brake drum instead of shiny new rotors

all can be installed yourself so enjoy and welcome to the org

Last edited by sleepyvg30e; 06-30-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

damn. fast replies. i searched for it and came up with nothing. i think it might be too old. its the ks-rt30. and i tried using the stock wire colors to see which jvc wires they were connected to. but some of the colors didnt match up.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:04 PM

haha wow, i get more help here than anywhere else, thanks guys. I already have the rear disks, how much are new front struts and springs? and i'll check out that exhaust and those spacers.
thanks bro
Old 06-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

haha wow, i get more help here than anywhere else, thanks guys. I already have the rear disks, how much are new front struts and springs? and i'll check out that exhaust and those spacers.
thanks bro
typically, people go with tokico struts and eibach springs. if you do that, I recommend considering new strut mounts as well.
since you already have disks, you should get a good set of pads to go with them.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by benstoked
typically, people go with tokico struts and eibach springs. if you do that, I recommend considering new strut mounts as well.
since you already have disks, you should get a good set of pads to go with them.
also perhaps consider swapping a few parts from pre and post 1991 around to upgrade your rear brakes up an inch and use z31 rear rotors. you need the "rock-on fist" bracket from a 89 or 90, and the tq member and caliper and ebrake cables off a 91-94, and then the z31 rotors.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:13 AM

can anyone post pics of the wings west front lip? and yes i did search but alot of people have stopped hosting the pics or sites dont exist anymore.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:07 AM
mod or sell?

damn. fast replies. i searched for it and came up with nothing. i think it might be too old. its the ks-rt30. and i tried using the stock wire colors to see which jvc wires they were connected to. but some of the colors didnt match up.
get a meter and a 9 volt battery and start checking
Old 07-01-2008, 08:43 AM

high i need to know the torque on the throttle body
thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by coolsun
thanks
sorry we can't tell you until you're sober.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
sorry we can't tell you until you're sober.
i did search
Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i did search
i was just poking fun at you saying "high" instead of "hi" like you were high on something. it wouldn't probably be in the search but if you have an fsm or know anything about overweight sentra-esque infinitis then you should find it on the EM section.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
i was just poking fun at you saying "high" instead of "hi" like you were high on something. it wouldn't probably be in the search but if you have an fsm or know anything about overweight sentra-esque infinitis then you should find it on the EM section.
LMAO i just relized that i wrote high
Old 07-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks
FSM says tighten to 9-11 ft lbs, then 18-22

Last edited by Rayovac; 07-01-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what could it be?

I just bought a 92 nissan maxima and drove it for two weeks and then started it up and all of a sudden it starts idleing very rough after it warms up... Does anybody have a idea of what could be causing it? I appreciate the help.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dumb, but quick question. How do I tell what model maxima I have? It's a 91 white face gauge, spoiler if that helps. And how do you pull the headlight bulb out?

Last edited by brettw903; 07-02-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^^^that's an SE you got, pull the light bulb? There's a clip that clips into the base of the bulb, press down on the nub and remove the electrical pig tail first, then there's screw on type bulb holder on the back of the head light itself, simply unscrew and pull the bulb out of the housing.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by 92blkmx
I just bought a 92 nissan maxima and drove it for two weeks and then started it up and all of a sudden it starts idleing very rough after it warms up... Does anybody have a idea of what could be causing it? I appreciate the help.
is it a VG or VE motor?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can somebody post of a pic of their dash where the radio should be. thanks
Old 07-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by brettw903
Can somebody post of a pic of their dash where the radio should be. thanks
you mean... with the radio removed? or a pic of everything assembled?

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)