3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Obsession_92-94
What are the odds that you will find a cluster with similar mileage? Wouldn't it be easier to just change out the faulty part? Just curious. I have never actually had that problem, but it seems that that might be false advertising if this guy ever intends to sell.
all you will likely need is the motor for the odometer. you can chop and swap parts inside the cluster as needed. I replaced my odometer motor after it stopped functioning properly. No need to hunt for a whole cluster when just the motor will do.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by internetautomar
your seatbelts are under warranty from nissan.
windows could be either motor or regulator. open the door panel and look to see if anything looks broke.
OK thanks a lot, that helps only... just how do i fulfill my warranty on an 18 year old car? Im honestly clueless as to how I would go about that
Old 05-02-2008, 05:43 AM

Speaking of replacing parts, does anyone know how to reinstall the retractable antenna? I got sick of it not going down all the way as the previous owner whacked it pretty good and it has not been right since. So last night I unscrewed the top ring from the motor (which is still mounted to the car) and when I turned on the radio, the motor just spit out the cable. Any ideas on how to reinstall it without having to remove the motor and all that? I was thinking that I could get an new one and shove the cable down into the shaft and let the motor rewind it itself, but I am skeptical...
Old 05-02-2008, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by benstoked
yeah, bad switch is usually the problem. you can attempt to clean the contacts(), but i recommend checking out a new one. if you dont want to throw alotta money at it, you can go to PaP and get one, but i recommend getting a warranty on it, just in case it has a similar issue.

super easy to swap out(easier than those injectors!!! lol)
I noticed the Pull-A-Part had a 1992 Maxima added to thier inventory 2 days ago, so I went by yesterday afternoon. I was really looking for uncorroded injector connectors, but the ones on this car were worse than the ones I have. But I did go ahead and get a signal/light switch for about $4. I took the plastic protector off of the contacts and they look brand now, no film or corrosion at all.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:29 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by NissanZealot
OK thanks a lot, that helps only... just how do i fulfill my warranty on an 18 year old car? Im honestly clueless as to how I would go about that
go to the dealer and tell them you want the seatbelt fixed under warranty. if they look at you crazy, tell them that nissan had a lifetime warranty on seatbelts back then. They LEGALLY have to honor it.
if they give you crap call nissan corporate and report them. if you need it there is a copy of it on here somewhere.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:30 AM
mod or sell?

Speaking of replacing parts, does anyone know how to reinstall the retractable antenna? I got sick of it not going down all the way as the previous owner whacked it pretty good and it has not been right since. So last night I unscrewed the top ring from the motor (which is still mounted to the car) and when I turned on the radio, the motor just spit out the cable. Any ideas on how to reinstall it without having to remove the motor and all that? I was thinking that I could get an new one and shove the cable down into the shaft and let the motor rewind it itself, but I am skeptical...
you are supposed to be able to do it like that, but I had to remove mine to fix them. (2 other cars)
Old 05-02-2008, 06:31 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

http://www.4dsc.com/articles/exterio..._antenna.shtml
hopefully you can get it fixed.(i, and other members have had their antennas not working, and have had little problem with it. I just topped my broken antenna, which is broken at the base, with one of those foam ball head things from jack-in-the-box)
Old 05-03-2008, 03:41 AM

anyone know where i can get a-pillar pods?
Old 05-03-2008, 06:38 PM

another question for the gurus out there...i drive a 1993 gxe and the auto trans is going out...is it possible to slip the 5sp. in or would i have to do the a whole engine/tranny swap??
Old 05-03-2008, 07:59 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Funambulus
another question for the gurus out there...i drive a 1993 gxe and the auto trans is going out...is it possible to slip the 5sp. in or would i have to do the a whole engine/tranny swap??
look a couple of posts down and see caped's thread on his swap
Old 05-05-2008, 06:27 AM

Back together after injector install, now it's steaming?

Originally Posted by dougb110
Hello all,

I recently bought a 1992 Maxima GXE from a co-worker. ..<snip>... So I dug into it and by process of elimination I determined the #3 injector was not working (pulling spark plug wires, injector connection wires, compression test, ohm test). So now I have the car in pieces in the garage and I hope to have it back together this weekend or early next week. At this time, I'll be replacing the one that was already bad and the one next to it that is bad now because I cracked some plastic on it getting it out (didn't mess with the other 4, so they should be OK). <snip)

Doug

OK, I got the car back together this weekend after replacing the 2 bad injectors and splicing new injector connectors for all of the injectors. I also replaced most of the vacuum, emission, and fuel hoses I could get to. The car fired right up and ran a liitle rough for about 10 seconds and then smoothed out. The miss seems to be gone. But as it sat there and warmed up, steam started coming up from the around the front valve cover area. I couldn't hear any leaking, or hissing. I suspect coolant is dropping onto the exhaust somewhere, but can't really see anything obvious. As for anything that I did while repalcing the injectors that would have involved the coolant system, there were the big hoses that go from the front and back valve covers (If i remember correctly, even though this seems odd) to the air intake elbow (front) and into the upper plenum (back) and a handful of coolant came from the front one when I first took it loose the other day, but it's not leaking now. Is there coolant flow through some part of the lower and/or upper intakes? Maybe I pinched a gasket or something. It will be a couple of days before I'll have time to get back into it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited: I must be remembering wrong, surely coolant isn't flowing through the valve covers, it must have been some other hoses I took loose that had coolant in them. I do recall the Haynes manual said to drain the collant system to replace injectors, but it doesn't explain why.

Last edited by dougb110; 05-05-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:32 PM

Okay, so I'm sure that this question's had to have been asked a ton of times on here, but I'm going to go ahead and ask again anyway, just to cover all bases. I looked up what kind of speakers can fit in the max and crutchfield.com said that 6x9's should fit in the rear shelf. I tried these and I couldn't get them to fit, luckily for me I had some 6.5's just sitting around the house (the 6.5s and 6x9s are both brand new). And so I've had these 6.5's in there since, but now a year later I busted one of them (Alpine head unit is awesome after you tweak it right). So to end my long story, how do I fit the 6x9's in place of the 6.5's. It's kind of embarrassing to take a girl home when you're speakers make a wierd noise (but I played it off lol)...all help is appreciated!!
Old 05-05-2008, 02:09 PM

**correction** crutchfield didn't tell me that, but I thought I had seen it somewhere before...so is it possible to squeeze a set of 6x9s in the rear shelf sorry about my mistake from the first post
Old 05-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by DBooker_93GXE
**correction** crutchfield didn't tell me that, but I thought I had seen it somewhere before...so is it possible to squeeze a set of 6x9s in the rear shelf sorry about my mistake from the first post
yes 6x9s fit fine, at least into the bose brackets.
to do a good job, i had to pull the carpet off the top of the pannel, to get access to the screws for the brackets.
the speakers were a bit difficult to fit onto the brackets, but they fit. just make sure to fasten them adequately, the first time i did it, i didn't remove the brackets, and the nuts vibrated off, cause i didnt get a good grip on them....
Old 05-05-2008, 05:41 PM

yes 6x9s fit fine, at least into the bose brackets.
to do a good job, i had to pull the carpet off the top of the pannel, to get access to the screws for the brackets.
the speakers were a bit difficult to fit onto the brackets, but they fit.....
I dont have Bose...my car came with the 'Active Speaker' or w/e they're called (stock clarion speakers). When I tried to install my 6x9's they didn't really fit into the speaker housing, but I'll give it a try again tomorrow or this weekend (depending on homework load) I guess lol
Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I dont have Bose...my car came with the 'Active Speaker' or w/e they're called (stock clarion speakers). When I tried to install my 6x9's they didn't really fit into the speaker housing, but I'll give it a try again tomorrow or this weekend (depending on homework load) I guess lol
on that system stock is 6.5" rear and 4x6 front
Old 05-05-2008, 07:36 PM

on mine, 6.5's in tha front, 6x9's in tha back.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by ProphetVG30E
on mine, 6.5's in tha front, 6x9's in tha back.

Is that with bose or with the regular system?? And if so, how'd you set your 6x9's up to fit in the rear shelf??
Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 AM

Regular.

just gotta kno what youre doing. and plus, it came w/ 6x9's in the back when i bought the maxima in november. i've done it on my 93 sentra se-r, and it's dumb easy to do.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Is that with bose or with the regular system?? And if so, how'd you set your 6x9's up to fit in the rear shelf??
you may consider custom mdf mounts. not too hard to make.
also make some for the front, if you don't have 6.5"s up there, now.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:16 PM

you may consider custom mdf mounts. not too hard to make.
also make some for the front, if you don't have 6.5"s up there, now.

that sounds cool, but I dont think I really have access to a shop like that to make some mounts, I might ride to a junkyard and see if they (or I) can pull the mounts out of a Bose maxima there...and just to verify my understanding, the mounts are the only way to go, if you dont wanna drill through your car right? lol.....all help is and has been appreciated
Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK, I need some help please, my mothers 93 maxima is shaking when in gear, not sure what the problem is, it is the engine that is shaking when in gear but not when it is in neutral, I didn't get a chance to look at it yet but is there anything that usually goes wrong? anything that I should look for? I had both the engine and tranny replaced before, along with the alternator, did a tuneup, brakes and even that leak by the gastank so what's wrong now, someone please help...
Old 05-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

that sounds cool, but I dont think I really have access to a shop like that to make some mounts, I might ride to a junkyard and see if they (or I) can pull the mounts out of a Bose maxima there...and just to verify my understanding, the mounts are the only way to go, if you dont wanna drill through your car right? lol.....all help is and has been appreciated
mdf is "medium density fiberboard". its available at any place that sells lumber. you can also use plywood. as for tools, circular saw, a drill, and a jig saw... I mainly offer this for others, now that you have an alternate course of action.

yes, the mounts are nesecary if you want to put the speakers in without drilling into the car. but with a 15 year old car, would a couple of unseen holes make a big difference? I personally would go with the mounts, but if time/money are constraints, you could just drill out holes to mount the speakers.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Liu Kang
OK, I need some help please, my mothers 93 maxima is shaking when in gear, not sure what the problem is, it is the engine that is shaking when in gear but not when it is in neutral, I didn't get a chance to look at it yet but is there anything that usually goes wrong? anything that I should look for? I had both the engine and tranny replaced before, along with the alternator, did a tuneup, brakes and even that leak by the gastank so what's wrong now, someone please help...
does it shake in gear whether you are moving or not? or just moving? or just sitting still? look at your mounts to see if they are torn or deteriorated. I had a preeettttty bad one that became far more apparent when i swapped auto to manual. take a look:

broken poly filled mount on left. normal OEM mount on right

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 05-07-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
does it shake in gear whether you are moving or not? or just moving? or just sitting still? look at your mounts to see if they are torn or deteriorated. I had a preeettttty bad one that became far more apparent when i swapped auto to manual. take a look:

broken poly filled mount on left. normal OEM mount on right
it shakes a lot more when it is under 35mph at higher speeds it not as bad
Old 05-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

does it shake at all when you are sitting still? also where do you feel the vibrations the most? or do you hear them but not feel them so much?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:49 PM
mod or sell?

sounds like you need injectors
Old 05-08-2008, 06:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

sounds like you need injectors
how can it be injectors if it still runs fine at idel in nuetral but as soon as you put it in gear, it starts to shake even if sitting still? I also added injector cleaner about 4 months ago...
Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 AM

OK, I ... did a tuneup,....
All depends what 'a tuneup' means. If its wash and wax, then that tuneup does not hlp.

If the max has distributor: cap wires rotor - then check the link below
Old 05-08-2008, 01:51 PM

i apologize for asking a question although im over 15 posts, but i thought it would be lame to make a thread for this. does anyone know where i can get the iacv hose that connects to the s pipe on my intake? its cracked right where it meets the iacv and needs replacement, but i can't find one online at any of the normal places, is it called something different than iacv air hose or idle control hose?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by TooEasy
i apologize for asking a question although im over 15 posts, but i thought it would be lame to make a thread for this. does anyone know where i can get the iacv hose that connects to the s pipe on my intake? its cracked right where it meets the iacv and needs replacement, but i can't find one online at any of the normal places, is it called something different than iacv air hose or idle control hose?
why bother getting a special hose for it? it would usually be cheaper to get a length of hose with the same inside diameter. iirc, about $3/ft.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:16 PM

why bother getting a special hose for it? it would usually be cheaper to get a length of hose with the same inside diameter. iirc, about $3/ft.
i thought that also, but since it wouldnt have the bends already in the tubing, would it crimp off air or no?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:17 PM
mod or sell?

how can it be injectors if it still runs fine at idel in nuetral but as soon as you put it in gear, it starts to shake even if sitting still? I also added injector cleaner about 4 months ago...
because the motor is fairly well balanced. I had the same issues with one of mine.
my money is on it being 1 bad injector.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

because the motor is fairly well balanced. I had the same issues with one of mine.
my money is on it being 1 bad injector.
so how do I check to see if this is the injector and how do I change it? any how to somewhere?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

so how do I check to see if this is the injector and how do I change it? any how to somewhere?
the bread-and-butter pull-a-spark-plug-wire-one-by-one trick. whichever cylinder, when its wire is unplugged, causes NO change in engine condition, indicates the bad injector. tho it actually identified a bad CYLINDER, wherein you have to discern if it's the injector, or something else causing the single-cylinder-messup. and remember to pull the ebrake real good and put it into gear while doing this (basically make sure it's vibrating from the get-go)
Old 05-08-2008, 10:10 PM

how to change the motor mounts?
do need to remove the motor?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by coolsun
how to change the motor mounts?
do need to remove the motor?
hellz no! just get a block of wood and jack up the oilpan near where you are removing the mount. avoid hydraulic jacks if you can, as they aren't made to HOLD a load, just lift it. and you can't use jackstands because you will have to finely adjust the height of the jack until the bolt slides out freely. and just do one mount at a time, less hassle. once the new front one is in, go to the back. or maybe start out back to get the hard(ish) part out of the way first. for the front once unbolted, pull the base forward while tipping the top back, and slide it out flat like that. round part installs to the front and the flared part to the back. dunno about the rear, since i haven't done it yet. all 17mm nuts and bolts.

dood you have more than 15 posts.. lawls.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
hellz no! just get a block of wood and jack up the oilpan near where you are removing the mount. avoid hydraulic jacks if you can, as they aren't made to HOLD a load, just lift it. and you can't use jackstands because you will have to finely adjust the height of the jack until the bolt slides out freely. and just do one mount at a time, less hassle. once the new front one is in, go to the back. or maybe start out back to get the hard(ish) part out of the way first. for the front once unbolted, pull the base forward while tipping the top back, and slide it out flat like that. round part installs to the front and the flared part to the back. dunno about the rear, since i haven't done it yet. all 17mm nuts and bolts.

dood you have more than 15 posts.. lawls.
ok but what kind of bushing should i use for it, poly? how long will those last
Old 05-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by coolsun
ok but what kind of bushing should i use for it, poly? how long will those last
scroll up to post 945 and you'll see what my poly mount looked like from sept 2007 to march 2008 - just 6 months. granted i used the softer of two compounds, and i also cracked the mount on installation... but that's what it ended up looking like. it was survivable on an automatic. but it made the manual undriveable.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey Greeny you max looks sick in your sig.

ok here goes.. i have a 95 gxe and am having trouble with the odometer. My odometer does not want to clock miles but my speedo and tach. work. has any1 experienced this b4 and would have some suggestions? considering just getting a new cluster but not sure if that would resolve the issue, could it be wiring? all fuses are fine. thx in advance

Last edited by 95_BLK_ON_BLK; 05-09-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)