3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:16 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ekoostik9
Well im kind of a stickler about being stock, and i really like the sound of the Bose, but i see your point
I, too prefer being stock in most cases. The maxima is an exception to that.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:18 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by ekoostik9
Well im kind of a stickler about being stock, and i really like the sound of the Bose, but i see your point
Originally Posted by internetautomar
I, too prefer being stock in most cases. The maxima is an exception to that.
?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-94...fAudioQ5fVideo
Old 01-24-2009, 07:00 PM
mod or sell?

my comment is that most cars I can stick with a stock H/U and replace the speakers with aftermarket easily, the max has it's Bose system where it is designed as a system, I replace it as such.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:02 PM

yeouch i was going to throw my stock one out after i got my JVC put in, for that price good thing i never
Old 01-24-2009, 07:12 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by chrome91
yeouch i was going to throw my stock one out after i got my JVC put in, for that price good thing i never
those are 4th gen and newer, 3rd gen is different
Old 01-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

those are 4th gen and newer, 3rd gen is different
but
Originally Posted by ebay site
Upgrade to this remodled version...
...and lose your cubby that is under the headunit
Old 01-24-2009, 07:18 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by BenStoked
but
but, the wiring harness is different
Old 01-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

but, the wiring harness is different
says it comes with a 3rd gen to xth gen adapter
Old 01-24-2009, 07:26 PM
mod or sell?

says it comes with a 3rd gen to xth gen adapter
that would explain the $$$
Old 01-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my comment is that most cars I can stick with a stock H/U and replace the speakers with aftermarket easily, the max has it's Bose system where it is designed as a system, I replace it as such.
Yes exactly. And those H/Us are 4th Gen. Maybe they would work. Not going to spend that to find out though. But that is what im expecting to spend
Old 01-24-2009, 08:06 PM

LOL i hate the cubby in mine so much! after i got finished rebuilding the dash after wiring my subwoofer, the cubby wouldnt "lock" when you pushed it in and it would just come out. i have a nickel jammed in it to keep it shut. its hard to place the nickel correctly and it sucks not having the cupholder. ive had to open it a couple of times for drinks but after it taking a hour to get the nickel back in its shut forever now
Old 01-24-2009, 08:17 PM

I just need to know if i can get this fixed somehow... some way and the grille is bent down to this side also...and i have pictures
Old 01-24-2009, 08:58 PM

My climate control doesnt light up what could be the cause of this and its one of the digital controls im thinking it a bulb or something but it doesnt look like it is...
Old 01-24-2009, 09:24 PM

Infamous, that screw does not hold that bar.. it holds the fender onto the frame. You remove that screw to take off the fender, thats its only purpose i believe. Correct me if im wrong, thanks.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by chentwoten
Infamous, that screw does not hold that bar.. it holds the fender onto the frame. You remove that screw to take off the fender, thats its only purpose i believe. Correct me if im wrong, thanks.

so....im guessing that bar is not bolt on there that sucks... is there a way to replace that bar? or is that bar a part of the frame and will have to be cut off?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
so....im guessing that bar is not bolt on there that sucks... is there a way to replace that bar? or is that bar a part of the frame and will have to be cut off?
the radiator support can be removed with a drilland a 3/8 to 1/2 bits. it is spot welded in place. i have replaced half of the front clip of my car. it a PITA. take some more pictures of the over all support and i will let you know if the support is salvage able. and the screw only hold the fender on

Last edited by 300zmax; 01-25-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by 300zmax
the radiator support can be removed with a drilland a 3/8 to 1/2 bits. it is spot welded in place. i have replaced half of the front clip of my car. it a PITA. take some more pictures of the over all support and i will let you know if the support is salvage able. and the screw only hold the fender on
heres a few more pictures of it i kinda had a feeling that it was welded on...

Old 01-25-2009, 11:29 AM

heres a few more pictures of it i kinda had a feeling that it was welded on...
doesn't look that bad. i had the same problem after i hit a deer (or 2) the way i took care of it (im a hobbyist blacksmith) was that i hammered it straight. i removed the grill, lights and corner light so i had ample room to swing with out threat of busting anything. tools i suggest are a 1 lb hammer, small hammer or body hammer, slide hammer, and paint to match. you will mess up the paint so dont be worried about chipping it there is no way to avoid it. after you are done hammering the support use sand paper on the metal to rough up the paint to alow the new paint to stick well. thats the quick and dirty fix. less hassle then replacing the entire thing. i hope this was helpful, oh it looks like you are using a support rod, a new set of hood struts ( or fooffers as i have heard from some old timers) will hook you up. they are cheap and easy to install.

Also hit up a JY and take a pic of another max's rad support. it will help when hammering up the your support

Last edited by 300zmax; 01-25-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 PM

doesn't look that bad. i had the same problem after i hit a deer (or 2) the way i took care of it (im a hobbyist blacksmith) was that i hammered it straight. i removed the grill, lights and corner light so i had ample room to swing with out threat of busting anything. tools i suggest are a 1 lb hammer, small hammer or body hammer, slide hammer, and paint to match. you will mess up the paint so dont be worried about chipping it there is no way to avoid it. after you are done hammering the support use sand paper on the metal to rough up the paint to alow the new paint to stick well. thats the quick and dirty fix. less hassle then replacing the entire thing. i hope this was helpful, oh it looks like you are using a support rod, a new set of hood struts ( or fooffers as i have heard from some old timers) will hook you up. they are cheap and easy to install.

Also hit up a JY and take a pic of another max's rad support. it will help when hammering up the your support

great information man...will put it to use...thankx again. and yeah im gettin new "fooffers" lol for about $38 and i just havent had time to go to a JY but i do have a lot of plans for my ride eventhought im on 240,000miles...i might be lookin at an engine swap or just getting a 01' Max...
Old 01-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

great information man...will put it to use...thankx again. and yeah im gettin new "fooffers" lol for about $38 and i just havent had time to go to a JY but i do have a lot of plans for my ride eventhought im on 240,000miles...i might be lookin at an engine swap or just getting a 01' Max...
I have 240k miles on mine, and i still plan on doin' it up some more.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

so i really want a black interior. i bought the car with the brown interior and black leather seats. its an eyesore. how hard is it to replace the interior with a black one? thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by rman996
so i really want a black interior. i bought the car with the brown interior and black leather seats. its an eyesore. how hard is it to replace the interior with a black one? thanks
sourcing the interior (complete dash, carpet, lower piller covers, rear deck cover)deciding if you want the grey headliner to go with (headliner, upper piller covers, sunroof cover(if applicable).
then removing all of it, and swapping it out. not something I would want to do, but a couple of guys here have done an entire swap in under two days. mebe less than that (I think blootoof did it in a day?)
Old 01-26-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by rman996
it can be done on a good warm weekend. but be careful with some of the plasic parts that are exposed to the sun most they might crack. i busted some panels in my parts car when i was scrounging for parts.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Temperature Guage Malfunction

I replaced all the fuel injectors in my '94 GXE over the weekend and much to my surprise, the car actually started! I then noticed that coolant was pouring out the back side of the engine where I had failed to reconnect a hose. I reconnected the hose and once again started the engine. No problems I thought. On my initial test drive however, the temperature guage started "bouncing" up and down as I pressed on the gas and then finally "bottomed". I figure I have air in the system or I've failed to hook up a sensor wire or something. Any thoughts on what the problem might be or how to correct it?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by PTO005
I replaced all the fuel injectors in my '94 GXE over the weekend and much to my surprise, the car actually started! I then noticed that coolant was pouring out the back side of the engine where I had failed to reconnect a hose. I reconnected the hose and once again started the engine. No problems I thought. On my initial test drive however, the temperature guage started "bouncing" up and down as I pressed on the gas and then finally "bottomed". I figure I have air in the system or I've failed to hook up a sensor wire or something. Any thoughts on what the problem might be or how to correct it?
yes, you need to bleed your coolant. the coolant is rushing over the sensor when you give it gas (pump being controlled by crank), and it is losing contact with the fluid, causing the gauge to drop.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:37 AM

I have 240k miles on mine, and i still plan on doin' it up some more.
umm yeah...is that a problem? theres a guy on here thats rolling over to 300k but yeah i might be looking at a good engine swap..or a '01
Old 01-27-2009, 12:40 AM

HOW MUCH LONGER DO U GUYS THINK MY '92 GXE WILL RUN? IM AT 244K NOW... SHOULD I JUST START LOOKING FOR AN ENGINE OR SHOULD I JUST GET A NEW MAXIMA? WHEN I GOT IT, IT WAS AT 240K I GOT IT AS A GIFT AND IM SHOWIN IT SOME LUV LIKE I WOULD DO ANY CAR THATS IS MINE... I DIDNT HAVE TO PAY FOR IT SO I MIGHT AS WELL TRY TO KEEP IT RUNNING RIGHT? JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD DO GET A NEW RIDE OR RIDE THIS ONE UNTIL IT CLOCKS OUT?

Last edited by Infam0usMax; 01-27-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

HOW MUCH LONGER DO U GUYS THINK MY '92 GXE WILL RUN? IM AT 244K NOW... SHOULD I JUST START LOOKING FOR AN ENGINE OR SHOULD I JUST GET A NEW MAXIMA? WHEN I GOT IT, IT WAS AT 240K I GOT IT AS A GIFT AND IM SHOWIN IT SOME LUV LIKE I WOULD DO ANY CAR THATS IS MINE... I DIDNT HAVE TO PAY FOR IT SO I MIGHT AS WELL TRY TO KEEP IT RUNNING RIGHT? JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD DO GET A NEW RIDE OR RIDE THIS ONE UNTIL IT CLOCKS OUT?
i'll read your post when you retype it in lower case letters.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:26 AM
mod or sell?

IF THE BODY IS CLEAN, REPLACE THE TIMING BELT AND IT'S ASSOCIATED COMPONENTS AND YOU WILL BE FINE UNTIL THE TRANSMISSION BLOWS
Old 01-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

IF THE BODY IS CLEAN, REPLACE THE TIMING BELT AND IT'S ASSOCIATED COMPONENTS AND YOU WILL BE FINE UNTIL THE TRANSMISSION BLOWS
STOPSHOUTING!!!DOYOUNOTKOWITSRUDE!!!!?!?!?!?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:10 AM

STOPSHOUTING!!!DOYOUNOTKOWITSRUDE!!!!?!?!?!?
lmfao!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 07:26 AM

change the oil, Trans fluid, t-belt and water pump when needed and it should last you till the tranny blows. but get a 5-spd and hang on to it when that day comes, we will be here to help you put it in. VG engines are very robust and have lasted well into the 300k range. just remember to let the car warm up before you go tearing butt with it. Free is good means you should hang onto that much more.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM

change the oil, Trans fluid, t-belt and water pump when needed and it should last you till the tranny blows. but get a 5-spd and hang on to it when that day comes, we will be here to help you put it in. VG engines are very robust and have lasted well into the 300k range. just remember to let the car warm up before you go tearing butt with it. Free is good means you should hang onto that much more.

Thanks for the info guys...oh yeah my bad about the caps I was making a flyer for someone and didnt want to take my caps off...
Old 01-27-2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
i'll read your post when you retype it in lower case letters.
my bad but i dont have the time to retype that...
Old 01-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

my bad but i dont have the time to retype that...
copy/pase into MS word... Select All. Format-> Change Case. "Sentence Case". OK. Copy/paste into maxima.org editing window.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:08 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
copy/pase into MS word... Select All. Format-> Change Case. "Sentence Case". OK. Copy/paste into maxima.org editing window.
what is this MS word you speak of?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 PM

microsoft word...
Old 01-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

what is this MS word you speak of?
MS Word: a spanish/scandinavian hybrid word meaning "do it right the first time, and you wont have to do it again."
Old 01-27-2009, 07:20 PM

Cold Air Intake

Does this cold air intake work on a vg30e, or the 1993 gxe model of the maxima?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93...Q5fAccessories

Thanks a lot, i really appreciate your help and advice.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 PM

why not try this cold air intake from ebay? fits all 92-94's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)