3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by HahitsKen
Does this cold air intake work on a vg30e, or the 1993 gxe model of the maxima?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93...Q5fAccessories

[img]https://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5811/cai92maximaog3.jpg[img]

Thanks a lot, i really appreciate your help and advice.
nope.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:32 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by BenStoked
nope.
This...
Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 PM

Okay, well what intake does fit for the vg30e. The one posted by chrome91 looks almost the same as the one I posted lol, but thanks. And greeny, what do you mean by this... haha
Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by HahitsKen
Okay, well what intake does fit for the vg30e. The one posted by chrome91 looks almost the same as the one I posted lol, but thanks. And greeny, what do you mean by this... haha
90-93 Honda accord cai. seriously.

(see, wayne? im not the only one...)
Old 01-27-2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
copy/pase into MS word... Select All. Format-> Change Case. "Sentence Case". OK. Copy/paste into maxima.org editing window.

MS 2007 try copy/paste to MS, highlight whole thing..., then hit shift F3 or just F3 it will change it three different ways... and this is the outcome...

How much longer do u guys think my '92 gxe will run? Im at 244k now... Should i just start looking for an engine or should i just get a new maxima? When i got it, it was at 240k i got it as a gift and im showin it some luv like i would do any car thats is mine... I didnt have to pay for it so i might as well try to keep it running right? Just want to know what you guys think i should do get a new ride or ride this one until it clocks out?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
MS 2007 try copy/paste to MS, highlight whole thing..., then hit shift F3 or just F3 it will change it three different ways... and this is the outcome...

How much longer do u guys think my '92 gxe will run? Im at 244k now... Should i just start looking for an engine or should i just get a new maxima? When i got it, it was at 240k i got it as a gift and im showin it some luv like i would do any car thats is mine... I didnt have to pay for it so i might as well try to keep it running right? Just want to know what you guys think i should do get a new ride or ride this one until it clocks out?
oh cool, shift+F3 works in OXP too..

anyhow.. if you want to get a spare engine and tranny to prep and have ready IF something goes wrong, that's not a bad idea. But if the thing runs well, drives well, and doesn't have any compelling problems that would make you get rid of it... then why get rid of it? Mileage is just a number. It's the condition of the car that really matters. I can fix basically ANYTHING on my Max except for a bent frame or rust (ie, the only 2 problems that would compel me to get rid of the car. but i have neither). Other than that, if it breaks, it gets fixed, and I keep on
Old 01-28-2009, 11:22 AM

hey,

im looking to swap out my B&G springs for stock se springs on my 92 maxima se, so ill have tokico blues with stock se springs, will this work? will the ride be a bit softer? killing my back in the winter with this setup..
Old 01-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by PMAX08
hey,

im looking to swap out my B&G springs for stock se springs on my 92 maxima se, so ill have tokico blues with stock se springs, will this work? will the ride be a bit softer? killing my back in the winter with this setup..
it should be softer, yea. but of course it'll look like a 4x4 again. Eibachs are overall (so i've heard) the best compromise of looks, comfort, and handling
Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM

cool, im just put on the stock springs for winter, B&G's are nice in the summer
Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 PM
mod or sell?

it should be softer, yea. but of course it'll look like a 4x4 again. Eibachs are overall (so i've heard) the best compromise of looks, comfort, and handling
it doesn't look like a 4x4, it looks just fine at stock height.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
it doesn't look like a 4x4, it looks just fine at stock height.
mine looks like a 4x4 in the front... not in the back though.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 PM
mod or sell?

mine looks like a 4x4 in the front... not in the back though.
it your wheel and tire combo
Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

it your wheel and tire combo
bigger OD tires = less wheel gap...... i have a LOT of wheel gap in the front.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:55 PM
mod or sell?

bigger OD tires = less wheel gap...... i have a LOT of wheel gap in the front.

it looks like that because the bigger wheel has less rubber on it which tricks the eye into thinking the gap is greater than it is.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

it looks like that because the bigger wheel has less rubber on it which tricks the eye into thinking the gap is greater than it is.
the tire itself is over-size. stock is 25.5", mine is 25.9" OD. so that would cut .2" into my wheel gap. the back end of my car is tucked pretty well... but front is pointing way up.

another angle (somehow i have NO direct side-shots of my car with these wheels on it?! )

i'm beginning to wonder if perhaps my rear springs are sagging..... i'll measure my wheelarch height tomorrow.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 01-28-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:51 PM

the tire itself is over-size. stock is 25.5", mine is 25.9" OD. so that would cut .2" into my wheel gap. the back end of my car is tucked pretty well... but front is pointing way up.

another angle (somehow i have NO direct side-shots of my car with these wheels on it?! )

i'm beginning to wonder if perhaps my rear springs are sagging..... i'll measure my wheelarch height tomorrow.

well on the bright side on the track a higher nose improves fuel economy and your puts a little more weight on the rear improving balance
Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 300zmax
well on the bright side on the track a higher nose improves fuel economy and your puts a little more weight on the rear improving balance
how would it improve fuel economy? and i dunno about balance... but my handling kinda sucks. bad.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

my front wheel gap looks as bad as yours. back, not so bad (like yours).
I measured mine, not too long ago, it was spot on
Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BenStoked
my front wheel gap looks as bad as yours. back, not so bad (like yours).
I measured mine, not too long ago, it was spot on
i'm interested to know your wheelarch heights on level ground... all 4 if you don't mind.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 PM

will the SE engine Fit in my GXE? and how much do you think that swap will run me? and has anybody done this swap yet?
Old 01-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

will the SE engine Fit in my GXE? and how much do you think that swap will run me? and has anybody done this swap yet?
depends what year SE you're talking about. 89-91 SE is a VG just like all 89-94 GXEs, thus it's a direct fit (fwiw, my car is a 90GXE and the motor is from a 90SE). If by 'SE engine' you mean the VE30DE from the 92-94 SE.. then yea it'll fit BUT you have to do a lot of parts-swapping under the hood (basically everything in sight) plus the engine harness, ECU, and then you have to either convert to a 5spd tranny, or swap a VEauto tranny/TCU/harness.

for more info on the full VG->VE swap...
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...swap-done.html
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...ome-ideas.html
Old 01-29-2009, 06:19 AM
mod or sell?

the rear arch is lower. if the front arch was as low as the rear, you would have some serious rubbing issues on turns under compression.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:20 AM
mod or sell?

oh, the FSM shows what the arch heights should be.
if you want the most accurate way to measure spring sag, measure from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the arch top.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 PM

depends what year SE you're talking about. 89-91 SE is a VG just like all 89-94 GXEs, thus it's a direct fit (fwiw, my car is a 90GXE and the motor is from a 90SE). If by 'SE engine' you mean the VE30DE from the 92-94 SE.. then yea it'll fit BUT you have to do a lot of parts-swapping under the hood (basically everything in sight) plus the engine harness, ECU, and then you have to either convert to a 5spd tranny, or swap a VEauto tranny/TCU/harness.

for more info on the full VG->VE swap...
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...swap-done.html
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...ome-ideas.html

lol yeah thats what i was talking about the VE30DE i wanted the DOHC...but yeah if the older ones that fit right in there will give me more HP then ill look for one...I just really wanted to know how much work would be required to do that other swap thanks for the info...
Old 01-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

lol yeah thats what i was talking about the VE30DE i wanted the DOHC...but yeah if the older ones that fit right in there will give me more HP then ill look for one...I just really wanted to know how much work would be required to do that other swap thanks for the info...
nah, swapping SOHC for SOHC won't really do anything, unless your engine is crap and just simply needs to be replaced. but all stock SOHC 3rd gens are 160hp. do you think you are down on power? or that your engine is fine, you just want something more out of it?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 PM

nah, swapping SOHC for SOHC won't really do anything, unless your engine is crap and just simply needs to be replaced. but all stock SOHC 3rd gens are 160hp. do you think you are down on power? or that your engine is fine, you just want something more out of it?
Im not sure if there a lost in power or not im pretty sure there is tho i raced my cousins 02 eclipse and from a rolling point i would pull on him then he just would take off lol and im looking for more power from my engine something that will make me "GO GO" when its time to get up and move... when doing 75-80 it feels like 60...ill take some vid with my digi cam and post them on youtube or something and post the link on here...oh yeah i got a question about maxima meets... i see ur from NC im in SC is there any meets around here?

Last edited by Infam0usMax; 01-29-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Im not sure if there a lost in power or not im pretty sure there is tho i raced my cousins 02 eclipse and from a rolling point i would pull on him then he just would take off lol and im looking for more power from my engine something that will make me "GO GO" when its time to get up and move... when doing 75-80 it feels like 60...ill take some vid with my digi cam and post them on youtube or something and post the link on here...oh yeah i got a question about maxima meets... i see ur from NC im in SC is there any meets around here?
well, any newer car like that will usually be faster.. if it was a v6 then it had 205HP... some cars are simply going to be faster than a 3rd gen max, cuz these days, 160hp is less than you can get out of a 2.5L Sentra, which is a "compact car". If you want a slight bump in power, go for bolt-ons.. if you want medium power, add a set of s1 or s2 cams and a jwt ECU into the mix.. if you want big power, go for a turbo.

as for meets.. not really. the main meet this year is June 26-28 in DC - Maxus09 www.maxus09.com
Old 01-29-2009, 11:59 PM

well, any newer car like that will usually be faster.. if it was a v6 then it had 205HP... some cars are simply going to be faster than a 3rd gen max, cuz these days, 160hp is less than you can get out of a 2.5L Sentra, which is a "compact car". If you want a slight bump in power, go for bolt-ons.. if you want medium power, add a set of s1 or s2 cams and a jwt ECU into the mix.. if you want big power, go for a turbo.

as for meets.. not really. the main meet this year is June 26-28 in DC - Maxus09 www.maxus09.com
haha... yeah its a v6 but yeah i kinda figured that much im gonna get a intake and some other stuff i come across with time...and how much would a turbo run me and would this car be able to handle one? when i say that i mean that this is a daily driver...would that have an effect on anything?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

haha... yeah its a v6 but yeah i kinda figured that much im gonna get a intake and some other stuff i come across with time...and how much would a turbo run me and would this car be able to handle one? when i say that i mean that this is a daily driver...would that have an effect on anything?
hell yea our engines can 'handle' a turbo ... the block itself can survive twice as much HP as you'll EVER get a street-legal FWD sedan to put to the ground.. after all the VG30E is just a 'T' away from being a z31 turbo motor (VG30ET)... in fact, the turbo oil feed port is already on all our VG motors.. just covered up cuz we don't have turbos.

but yes several guys have turbocharged DD 3rd gens... chris gregg (dunno if it's a DD but he could if he wanted to), maxpwer, maxmaxima91, akurtzer, danNY could DD his if he wanted to..

some guys swap the whole Z31T motor in after swapping some brackets and crap around for the FWD configuration, others turbo a stock maxima motor (which has slightly higher compression than the made-for-turbo VGT) and just slap z31t-everything on it.. other guys build fully custom turbo kits.. don't expect to spend less than $2-3k on a properly assembled and tuned setup tho. not something you want to cheap out on...

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 01-30-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 AM
mod or sell?

hell yea our engines can 'handle' a turbo ... the block itself can survive twice as much HP as you'll EVER get a street-legal FWD sedan to put to the ground.. after all the VG30E is just a 'T' away from being a z31 turbo motor (VG30ET)... in fact, the turbo oil feed port is already on all our VG motors.. just covered up cuz we don't have turbos.

but yes several guys have turbocharged DD 3rd gens... chris gregg (dunno if it's a DD but he could if he wanted to), maxpwer, maxmaxima91, akurtzer, danNY could DD his if he wanted to..

some guys swap the whole Z31T motor in after swapping some brackets and crap around for the FWD configuration, others turbo a stock maxima motor (which has slightly higher compression than the made-for-turbo VGT) and just slap z31t-everything on it.. other guys build fully custom turbo kits.. don't expect to spend less than $2-3k on a properly assembled and tuned setup tho. not something you want to cheap out on...
2 things.
1. it is a VG30ET in a Z31 not VG30DET
2. in your discussion of HP in a new car versus an older one, you ignore a crucial factor. WEIGHT. how many midsize cars weigh 3100 lbs anymore? how many compact cars do? sadly by todays standards the 3rd gen is a featherweight. of course that is what makes it so much fun too.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

2 things.
1. it is a VG30ET in a Z31 not VG30DET
2. in your discussion of HP in a new car versus an older one, you ignore a crucial factor. WEIGHT. how many midsize cars weigh 3100 lbs anymore? how many compact cars do? sadly by todays standards the 3rd gen is a featherweight. of course that is what makes it so much fun too.
1) i don't know where that D came from... i swear it saidVG30ET when i typed it
2) true.. but that eclipse is 3120lb with 200hp
Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello again! For some reason I can not start a new thread so I am forced to ask my question here. I've posted about the problems I've been having with my climate control unit, and I'm now on my third one. The LCD works and buttons dont' light, but I do get heat (yeah! something works) I have notice when then fan speed display shows full power it never seems to blow hard. I don't remember if it was like this before I had problems and was hoping someone with a properly working unit could let me know. If mine is messed up I need to get it swapped out while it is still guaranteed.

Does anyone have any pics of the stereo wiring from the cars harness back? My car came with a stereo wired into the Bose and now I'm having issues with my after market H/U which I believe are caused by the way the subs had been wired in (it's a mess, I wish the previous owner had replaced the H/U or gone without subs).

Thanks as always
Old 01-31-2009, 05:37 PM

Hey guys so i went to my pull-a-part today and found 3 manual VG maximas (89-90) and i want to take one of the trannys off. One is about 140k, 200k and 240k. The one with 140k has broken tranny mounts which is alright and the engine is a bit slanted in the bay. It looks like it was in a bit of a head on collision, not too bad though. The transmission will shift but will not come over the left - is this because the tranny mounts are broken and not because the tranny is presumably bad? We prepped that car (with 140k) to rip the tranny out tomorrow morning. Any tips? I gotta make my templet for the clutch master cylinder tomorrow, rip out the tranny and a few other things. Thanks guys.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by chentwoten
Hey guys so i went to my pull-a-part today and found 3 manual VG maximas (89-90) and i want to take one of the trannys off. One is about 140k, 200k and 240k. The one with 140k has broken tranny mounts which is alright and the engine is a bit slanted in the bay. It looks like it was in a bit of a head on collision, not too bad though. The transmission will shift but will not come over the left - is this because the tranny mounts are broken and not because the tranny is presumably bad? We prepped that car (with 140k) to rip the tranny out tomorrow morning. Any tips? I gotta make my templet for the clutch master cylinder tomorrow, rip out the tranny and a few other things. Thanks guys.
well yea i have had a problem like that once. the front mount i filled with poly got REALLY messed up and every time i got on or off the gas the shifter would move like 2 inches. there's only so far the stick can tilt so it might be 'maxed out' to the left. is the shifter always leaning to the left?

or just disconnect the shift rod, and see if it behaves like this: wobbly between left and center, and force needed to move it to the right

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 01-31-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:21 PM

The shifter is actually leaning to the right (if you're sitting in the car) and the motor is leaning the same way (dipped to the right).

To clarify to take the tranny out of the manual and my auto, I do not have to remove the engine, do I? In reading the cardomain tutorial by phatsta i don't really see any part about removing the engine.
Thanks,

Last edited by chentwoten; 01-31-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by chentwoten
The shifter is actually leaning to the right (if you're sitting in the car) and the motor is leaning the same way (dipped to the right).

To clarify to take the tranny out of the manual and my auto, I do not have to remove the engine, do I? In reading the cardomain tutorial by phatsta i don't really see any part about removing the engine.
Thanks,
correct, the engine stays in the car (unless you feel like taking it out to intensively clean it, do exhaust studs, or whatever other tasks that are easier to do on it when it's out of the car).

as for the tranny in the JY car, to test for proper shifting, unbolt the shifter rod from the tranny (12mm-headed bolt/nut) and do what i did in the video... also push and pull it (kinda stiff when there's no leverage tho) and try and get it in all the gears.

and also you can browse this
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...-speed%20swap/
Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by TXprinthead
Hello again! For some reason I can not start a new thread so I am forced to ask my question here. I've posted about the problems I've been having with my climate control unit, and I'm now on my third one. The LCD works and buttons dont' light, but I do get heat (yeah! something works) I have notice when then fan speed display shows full power it never seems to blow hard. I don't remember if it was like this before I had problems and was hoping someone with a properly working unit could let me know. If mine is messed up I need to get it swapped out while it is still guaranteed.

Does anyone have any pics of the stereo wiring from the cars harness back? My car came with a stereo wired into the Bose and now I'm having issues with my after market H/U which I believe are caused by the way the subs had been wired in (it's a mess, I wish the previous owner had replaced the H/U or gone without subs).

Thanks as always

Old 01-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Total Noob But Needin help

So i just got my first car a (94 nissan maxima) and its a great car but it comes with its share of problem .. i was wondering what exactly should i do to make this car all that it can be running wise and sound wise. i figure i should start with the inside meaning the engine and what not to get it up to date so any suggestions are great to have thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 09:07 AM

Hey guys,

Im looking to test my knock sensor with a meter or even a temp bypass, where is the knock sensor harness plug in the engine bay? ive searched but the pictures no longer exist in there, a pic would be great guys, thx
Old 02-01-2009, 05:05 PM

So today me and 4 guys went to pick n pull again and spent 6 hours to ripped the tranny out of a 90 se with 140k and we got the: Shifter rods (both of them), shifter housing/mount, transmission mounts, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, transmission but no clutch/flywheel. The clutch was gone and the flywheel was not gonna come off so we just said screw it and left. I was trying to figure out what "block thing" i need, can anybody elaborate and/or post better pics than the phatsta tutorial? I gotta go bacak there and get that stuff next weekend. There is also a peice that looks broken in the transmission though because one of the tabs is off. Here it is: if anybody can tell me what it is, or if they have an extra they would sell me, i would appreciate it. Thx for all your help.

edit: this is a bearing that is included in clutch kits as far as i can see, is that correct?

Last edited by chentwoten; 02-01-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)