3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 AM

sup my peeps this is just a simple question about a Indash TV just wanted to know since the whole DTV switch thing how would that effect the sing to the indash in the car? would that also need a "DTV box" lol pretty random huh?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:28 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
sup my peeps this is just a simple question about a Indash TV just wanted to know since the whole DTV switch thing how would that effect the sing to the indash in the car? would that also need a "DTV box" lol pretty random huh?
it depends on whether the tuner is atsc (digital) or not. newer ones have them, older won't.
if the tv tunes in digital channels, you are fine.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 AM
mod or sell?

chances are the tuner is not digital compatible.
try tuning and see if channel 2.1 and 2.2 show up as valid or if it gives you the option to tune digital/dtv if you can only tune to channels like 2,5,7 then it is still an analog tuner.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my HUGE issue

so im on the belt pkwy driving to school today and my steering wheel gets REALLY stiff. by the grace of god i get off the pkwy and pull over. my rack and pinion leaks but i never chaged it. i check the reservoir and its full. so im guessing the rack stalled or something. the wheel turns but it very stiff. could it be that the rack needs to b replaced?

my second issue: as i was driving back home today my car starts to overheat. i changed the water pump and thermostat last yr. i know this might be unlikely but i cant help but wonder if the overheating has anything to do with my steering wheel getting stiff because both problems happend this afternoon. any ideas? thanks in advanced.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by rman996
so im on the belt pkwy driving to school today and my steering wheel gets REALLY stiff. by the grace of god i get off the pkwy and pull over. my rack and pinion leaks but i never chaged it. i check the reservoir and its full. so im guessing the rack stalled or something. the wheel turns but it very stiff. could it be that the rack needs to b replaced?

my second issue: as i was driving back home today my car starts to overheat. i changed the water pump and thermostat last yr. i know this might be unlikely but i cant help but wonder if the overheating has anything to do with my steering wheel getting stiff because both problems happend this afternoon. any ideas? thanks in advanced.
belt is gone. check your power steering pump for play, go ahead and replace it. you probably threw a belt, causing your power steering AND your water pump to quit (one belt for both).
also, check the idler pulley, it may be part of the problem.

Last edited by BenStoked; 03-10-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
it depends on whether the tuner is atsc (digital) or not. newer ones have them, older won't.
if the tv tunes in digital channels, you are fine.
Originally Posted by internetautomar
chances are the tuner is not digital compatible.
try tuning and see if channel 2.1 and 2.2 show up as valid or if it gives you the option to tune digital/dtv if you can only tune to channels like 2,5,7 then it is still an analog tuner.

thankx for the info guys but i haven't bought it yet i just wanted to know before i got one if it would even be worth it and another thing if i did have an older one would it be able to change over or no?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

thankx for the info guys but i haven't bought it yet i just wanted to know before i got one if it would even be worth it and another thing if i did have an older one would it be able to change over or no?
wait...
tv tuner in your car? no, don't do it. most states its illegal to watch tv while driving, and if you have one, it makes you more likely to get busted for it.
if it were in the back seat, i wouldn't bother mentioning , but you said in-dash (and I wasn't awake enough to think of the implications of that).
I cannot think of a single good reason (aside from a crappy riced-out show car), to have a tv in your dash, anywho.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

belt is gone. check your power steering pump for play, go ahead and replace it. you probably threw a belt, causing your power steering AND your water pump to quit (one belt for both).
also, check the idler pulley, it may be part of the problem.
dats exactly what happend. thanks man.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 PM

wait...
tv tuner in your car? no, don't do it. most states its illegal to watch tv while driving, and if you have one, it makes you more likely to get busted for it.
if it were in the back seat, i wouldn't bother mentioning , but you said in-dash (and I wasn't awake enough to think of the implications of that).
I cannot think of a single good reason (aside from a crappy riced-out show car), to have a tv in your dash, anywho.
lol it was just a randon thought since we have to change the house TV's over if its not DTV ready so i thought about the cars but yeah i know all about the whole not being legal in some states and even if i had to put a digital converter in a car that would be lame anyways but i and thinking about getting a flip out for show...and on the org we shouldn't make rice we should just eat it.lol

Last edited by Infam0usMax; 03-10-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

lol it was just a randon thought since we have to change the house TV's over if its not DTV ready so i thought about the cars but yeah i know all about the whole not being legal in some states and even if i had to put a digital converter in a car that would be lame anyways but i and thinking about getting a flip out for show...
flip outs are played out. go with a double-din, touch screen. itll fit. and nicely, too. only disadvantage is loss of the cubby, but with armrest storage, who really needs it?
(and it looks good, too.)
Old 03-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

flip outs are played out. go with a double-din, touch screen. itll fit. and nicely, too. only disadvantage is loss of the cubby, but with armrest storage, who really needs it?
my only thing against having a permanently-visible screen is theft incentive. if you have a flipout, and it's a nice discreet one, nobody'll be the wiser. yea, the permascreens are nicer and, in a world with no crime, i'd much rather have one. but sometimes i guess you gotta make a sacrifice or two for this stuff.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 PM

i know this is a very common question but i cant search i am just wondering about some quick recommendations. which mufflers seem to be popular and sound good with the maxima. i would like a tuned sound like a nice beamer so not gay rice canish but not growly like the flowmaster i have on now. yes i am aware you cant just buy x muffler and bam super tuned sounded car. my exhaust is stock manifolds with warpspeed y pipe and some old catback with that muffler replaced with a flowmaster clone. again nice tone and very tight sounding. ive heard greddy and many others, what do you prefer?
Old 03-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by makowski
i know this is a very common question but i cant search i am just wondering about some quick recommendations. which mufflers seem to be popular and sound good with the maxima. i would like a tuned sound like a nice beamer so not gay rice canish but not growly like the flowmaster i have on now. yes i am aware you cant just buy x muffler and bam super tuned sounded car. my exhaust is stock manifolds with warpspeed y pipe and some old catback with that muffler replaced with a flowmaster clone. again nice tone and very tight sounding. ive heard greddy and many others, what do you prefer?
most mufflers sound okay, as long as you have a resonator(avoids the raspy, fart can sound. my sister's Prelude sounds awesome with greddy catback, with resonator). I have no preference based on what i hear, but I know many people like the sound of greddy, and others like the flowmaster. the best I can say is listen to some local cars, as youtube vids lose something in the sound.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:57 PM
mod or sell?

if you are buying a brand new one, then it is DTV compatible. for the past year or so they were not allowed to sell non-DTV units in the US unless they were specifically marked as such and were built before a specific date.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:40 PM

ive got a cherry bomb turbo. sounds good without the crazy loud ricer cannons.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:48 AM

lol played out... I still see people that cant wait to get one or still have this look on their face when they see one but I was thinking about just gettin the whole touch screen with a built in GPS...I guess that what they call a double-din...and that cubby sucks the cup holders are too small...

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
my only thing against having a permanently-visible screen is theft incentive. if you have a flipout, and it's a nice discreet one, nobody'll be the wiser. yea, the permascreens are nicer and, in a world with no crime, i'd much rather have one. but sometimes i guess you gotta make a sacrifice or two for this stuff.
lol whats this theft you speak of? I highly doubt anybody will try to break into my car if they really care about themself if u know what i mean but yeah with this world we live in u cant even trust ur own friends but like u said we just gotta make a sacrifce and this is one im willing to take...thankx for the advice too.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
if you are buying a brand new one, then it is DTV compatible. for the past year or so they were not allowed to sell non-DTV units in the US unless they were specifically marked as such and were built before a specific date.
great info maybe i should have started a new thread about this just in case i didnt think anybody would really care to reply to it but i know there is some other people out there that may have wanted to know about this also but what u said will be useful

one more question... what should i look for to know its digital? What does TV system: PAL/NTSC mean? should ATSC be there instead to know if its digital and if it is then is there anything u can use to change NTSC to ATSC?

Last edited by Infam0usMax; 03-11-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

lol whats this theft you speak of? I highly doubt anybody will try to break into my car if they really care about themself if u know what i mean but yeah with this world we live in u cant even trust ur own friends but like u said we just gotta make a sacrifce and this is one im willing to take...thankx for the advice too.
i guess it really depends where you live. around here, people won't normally mess with your stuff... 10 miles south of me they will. i know a guy on this forum, not naming names, that said he left his car parked in front of his house unlocked, cuz he knew it was probably going to get stolen anyhow, but at least if he ever got it back the door locks and windows wouldn't be broken. but if your town is low in crime, then you've got nothing to worry about

o and here's the answer to your other question:
The ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee) documents a digital television format that will replace the analog NTSC television system[1] on June 12, 2009 in the United States
as far as conversion... there are converter boxes.. i couldn't find a price for you, but it might be worth it to get a new TV system that's already ATSC instead of trying to add a converter for DTV, cuz then you're gonna have to set the TV to channel 3 or input or whatever, and use the remote for the tuner box to tune channels, and that's a hassle when you're in a car, to have so many remotes. not that you're actually watching it while driving... but you know what i mean.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 03-11-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello all,
I just was wondering if the maxima gods could grace me with an answer about my my car. I drive a 91 SE 5sp and i want to make my clutch or tranny less chincy, i have raced a few cars in my time and i have never felt like my tranny was made of chewing gum. it concerns me if anyone else has had this problem can anyone let me know what you guys did to fix it also if they're is a place to go that has more information about how to overhaul this particular engine i only have 73 thousand on the car to begin with.

Building for Show and Go

let me know Sincerely and humbled before you all and your mighty maxima brain power Dan
Old 03-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

also on a side not how do you take off the the front and rear bumpers couldn't find a sticky for that anywhere thanks again guys
Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by 91SER_Facehugger)
hello all,
I just was wondering if the maxima gods could grace me with an answer about my my car. I drive a 91 SE 5sp and i want to make my clutch or tranny less chincy, i have raced a few cars in my time and i have never felt like my tranny was made of chewing gum. it concerns me if anyone else has had this problem can anyone let me know what you guys did to fix it also if they're is a place to go that has more information about how to overhaul this particular engine i only have 73 thousand on the car to begin with.

Building for Show and Go

let me know Sincerely and humbled before you all and your mighty maxima brain power Dan
what do you mean by "chincy," and bubble gum? is the pedal soft? does it chatter?
if it's soft, I would recommend checking/bleeding/changing the clutch fluid.

nice to have you hear, dan.

as to removing the bumper covers, if you find out, lemme know, I gotta take my front one off, and repaint it (literally, there is no more paint on it...)
Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 AM

also on a side not how do you take off the the front and rear bumpers couldn't find a sticky for that anywhere thanks again guys
If remember correctly, there are 3 bolts ataching them to the fenders infront of the tires. there is a slue of bolts between the fog lights hold some air bar thing ( these bolts will break). and under the head light and grill along the top.

as for your tranny issue. i never felt like mine was bubble gum, and i know a crappy tranny, my mustangs stock T-5, that feels clunky. i would say up grade to a VLSD tranny and you should be fine. but i dont know if it shifts any diffrent
Old 03-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

should have been more specific less adjectives lol

hi there again yes i mean chincy in the way it is at the stick the clutch is fine and adjusted to my specifications i am wondering weather some new shift bushings or something like that would work it's just i am a big guy and i wrench on a stick this thing feels like i could break it really easily just wondering thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

hi there again yes i mean chincy in the way it is at the stick the clutch is fine and adjusted to my specifications i am wondering weather some new shift bushings or something like that would work it's just i am a big guy and i wrench on a stick this thing feels like i could break it really easily just wondering thanks
you can't break the stick. how does the shifter feel when it's in gear? how much does it wobble side to side? my friend's shifter (89SE) wobbles like it's in neutral, even when in gear.. i suspect a bad shifter bushing somewhere on there. but on yours, how tight is it in gear? also, pull the boot up, and the rubber boot under it, and take a look at that rubber crossbar while moving your shifter. if it's got cracks and stuff in it, you can get another one from courtesy nissan for about $40 shipped. be diligent putting that rubber boot back on.. it's a minor pita to get back on the first time you try.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:01 PM

hello all,
I just was wondering if the maxima gods could grace me with an answer about my my car. I drive a 91 SE 5sp and i want to make my clutch or tranny less chincy, i have raced a few cars in my time and i have never felt like my tranny was made of chewing gum. it concerns me if anyone else has had this problem can anyone let me know what you guys did to fix it also if they're is a place to go that has more information about how to overhaul this particular engine i only have 73 thousand on the car to begin with. Dan
As far as info on the VG engine, this forum and the Z31 web sites are the best.

and for racing, what have you raced might i ask, i want to get a better feel of what you are use to to give you some more insite on your trannys.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:39 PM

ill be getting the magnaflow 14818. what do you guys think, and have you heard reviews about this/magnaflow?

Last edited by makowski; 03-11-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:42 PM

they sound rediculously amazing on beamers so...hmm now im thinking dual tips would be be better? for the more im not a ricey muffler can but a luxery respectable muffler lol...wow
Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 PM

or would spending more on a 14815 or 14816 make a big difference?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

ill be getting the magnaflow 14818. what do you guys think, and have you heard reviews about this/magnaflow?
they sound rediculously amazing on beamers so...hmm now im thinking dual tips would be be better? for the more im not a ricey muffler can but a luxery respectable muffler lol...wow
or would spending more on a 14815 or 14816 make a big difference?
you can edit posts and add all that in as one, yaknow
Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 PM

lol ok but what do you guys think about this muffler series. im pretty sure im going with the 14829 now ....
Old 03-11-2009, 08:16 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

rice-ur-rony...the ghey sound treat..

Don't do the magnaflow muffler dude, it's gonna sound bad..(not in a good way )
Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 PM

really? all i see them on is bmw and lexus. ive gone on there forums and they all love them. i know its going on a maxima but still. well what about skunk2, but i think thats ricey? magnaflow rice a rony? what really when are you sure?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM

also...does advancing your timing make a difference much? is it noticeable and what are the benefits.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

.. problem...???

Okay guys I've spent like the past two hours searching for an answer but here my delema. My maxima's light turn on in and out but my heater/blower, radio and car dont turn on i doesnt even bother to turn over. I unplugged the battery for about the whole winter and just put it back on. I had an alternator change to a brand new one beforeit started to act up. before it just liked ****ed up on me it was having trouble turning on until it didnt even bother anymore. I did check the fuses and I tried to jump it but nothing worked my mechanic couldnt even run a diagnostic check on it. so could any one help ME PLEASE I miss my maxima I want to drive it again help meee.... Thank You
Old 03-12-2009, 05:53 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

really? all i see them on is bmw and lexus. ive gone on there forums and they all love them. i know its going on a maxima but still. well what about skunk2, but i think thats ricey? magnaflow rice a rony? what really when are you sure?

Are you ready? crank up the volume to get the full effect..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_QoqaxfFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjaDS...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U11ooUzZuA
Old 03-12-2009, 02:18 PM

hmmm. well does a 3rd gen exhaust pattern (pipe path???) match maybe a fourth gen. like will a 4th gen cat back bolt up? also what about a Megan racing axle back...
Old 03-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

hmmm. well does a 3rd gen exhaust pattern (pipe path???) match maybe a fourth gen. like will a 4th gen cat back bolt up? also what about a Megan racing axle back...
4th gen wont bolt up. maybe with alot of modification...
Old 03-12-2009, 02:42 PM

what muffler to get???????????
Old 03-12-2009, 03:35 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

what muffler to get???????????
oem 5th gen..

check the 5th gen classifieds section..
Old 03-12-2009, 04:09 PM

wont it be really quiet with no noise at all?
Old 03-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
oem 5th gen..

check the 5th gen classifieds section..
what's the piping size on 5th gens? i found out the q45 muffler won't work after all, so i still need to find something that's 2.5" for my setup.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)