3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Nick_Black
tanks alot for the info just asked becouse I have allready done some reading and it seams a bit more advanced then the Buik 3800 I'm familiar with. also I enjoy looking at what I have 2 work with before starting..

and on a side note.. is there no rep system on this site? (or else I would have given you a +rep..)

thanks
the 3.8 is actually easier to work on compared to a VG IMO.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Caped, responding back to you regarding the post I entered on thread below. http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...uild-easy.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetautomar View Post
check your transmission fluid.
(these 3 posts should be moved to the n00b section next mod that sees this)

i dunno, sounds like normal T/C lockup to me. driving along at 2500rpm then drops after the tranny warms up. peter, when you are driving along at the higher rpm, teasing the gas pedal DOES slightly change the RPM (maybe +/- 150 rpm depending how much you tease the pedal) but question is, AFTER the rpm drops, does teasing
the gas pedal still have the rpm changing slightly or does it stay dead-on like a stickshift car?

When i tease the pedal before or after the RPM drops, the RPM acts as normal. press the gas the RPM will get higher, let go and rpm will drop. I had the tranny fluid changed not long ago in Feb but I'm assuming it did not empty all of the old fluid. Not exactly sure how much was drained or filled.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 AM

hey guys,

im headin out to pick up some redline 75/90 GL4 rated oil for my tranny, how many litres do i need? is 4 enough or do i need 5? also this is the 5spd VLSD tranny

thanks

Last edited by PMAX08; 04-21-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by PMAX08
hey guys,

im headin out to pick up some redline 75/90 GL4 rated oil for my tranny, how many litres do i need? is 4 enough or do i need 5? also this is the 5spd VLSD tranny

thanks
4.5, so you need 5qt
Old 04-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by peterliu
Caped, responding back to you regarding the post I entered on thread below. http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...uild-easy.html

Quote:

i dunno, sounds like normal T/C lockup to me. driving along at 2500rpm then drops after the tranny warms up. peter, when you are driving along at the higher rpm, teasing the gas pedal DOES slightly change the RPM (maybe +/- 150 rpm depending how much you tease the pedal) but question is, AFTER the rpm drops, does teasing
the gas pedal still have the rpm changing slightly or does it stay dead-on like a stickshift car?

When i tease the pedal before or after the RPM drops, the RPM acts as normal. press the gas the RPM will get higher, let go and rpm will drop. I had the tranny fluid changed not long ago in Feb but I'm assuming it did not empty all of the old fluid. Not exactly sure how much was drained or filled.
is the motor up to temp? (temp needle in the middle)
if you changed the fluid (drain and fill) it changes/displaces about 3.5 qts. the tranny i believe* holds 10-12 qts.

like everyone said the tranny sounds like is operating normally.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Quote:

my friend has a 89 GXE that she might let me borrow to make a vid for you, so you can see if it does the same thing as yours does. I guess i'll do it at 55-60mph just like you were noting (which is good cuz i am right next to a very long 55mph-speed-limit road). I'll narrate it and say when it's in O/D non-lockup and when it's in O/D lockup.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Quote:

Peter...drive with the OD off and hit 55mph and then press the OD button (to turn it on) and see/feel if you get the OD lock up/shift.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:56 PM

Hey would one of you kind gents be willing to throw up a quick step by step write up on both a front and rear valve cover gasket replacement on a VG engine? Possibly some pics (capedcadaver) of where the bolts are and stuff would be good.

I searched around and think I know what needs to be done but wasnt sure what parts I'd need if I got them from courtesy or if I could get them from like autozone or napa.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by djfaka
Hey would one of you kind gents be willing to throw up a quick step by step write up on both a front and rear valve cover gasket replacement on a VG engine? Possibly some pics (capedcadaver) of where the bolts are and stuff would be good.

I searched around and think I know what needs to be done but wasnt sure what parts I'd need if I got them from courtesy or if I could get them from like autozone or napa.

Thanks!
  • remove your intake pipe and everything that would get in the way of you removing the intake manifold (hoses and crap)
  • loosen the UIM bolts in this order (http://boredmder.com/FSM/Nissan/Maxima/1994/em.pdf page EM-20)
  • remove the distributor (turn engine until you are at TDC #1 with the rotor pointing toward the passenger headlight, then unbolt it and remove it)
  • then unscrew the valve covers
  • replace gaskets
  • reinstall valve covers (don't overtighten screws.. snug but not tight)
  • reinstall the intake w/ new gasket (tighten bolts in reverse order of loosening)
  • reinstall everything else you removed
Old 04-21-2009, 07:48 PM

As I was installing the intake I found a problem, for the intake pipe, which is 2.75" diameter to the MAF's 3.5" diameter, how would I possibly connect the two together. the 3" rubber cupplers won't fit around the MAF's 3.5" diameter. I was thinking of finding a 4" to 3" cuppler, but there aren't many around. How did you guys do it?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by HahitsKen
As I was installing the intake I found a problem, for the intake pipe, which is 2.75" diameter to the MAF's 3.5" diameter, how would I possibly connect the two together. the 3" rubber cupplers won't fit around the MAF's 3.5" diameter. I was thinking of finding a 4" to 3" cuppler, but there aren't many around. How did you guys do it?
something like one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-to-...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-22-2009, 05:31 PM

Quick question: Just got fog lights from Autozone to install on my car. There were already fogs on it before it was hit (way before i had the car), so there is already a stock fog light button.

Can i just cut the connecter (plug) off of the wires on my car, and hook them up to the wires that came with the fogs? Or do i have to use the relay, and the switch that came with the fogs?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by -ReLLiK-
Quick question: Just got fog lights from Autozone to install on my car. There were already fogs on it before it was hit (way before i had the car), so there is already a stock fog light button.

Can i just cut the connecter (plug) off of the wires on my car, and hook them up to the wires that came with the fogs? Or do i have to use the relay, and the switch that came with the fogs?
Yep, just cut/splice the az fogs into the stock wires..
Old 04-22-2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
SHIZAM!! thx!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 PM
mod or sell?

assuming that all he has is still good.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:00 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
yes, assuming the wiring/switch is good..
Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
yes, assuming the wiring/switch is good..
Gosh guys, just turn everything negative. Now watch ima do this tomorrow and my wires will be complete sheit! lol
Old 04-22-2009, 06:18 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Gosh guys, just turn everything negative. Now watch ima do this tomorrow and my wires will be complete sheit! lol
Well, these cars are hitting the 20 year mark now, not mention, some of these cars have had many many previous owners, this usually= lots of stupid crap done to the cars by said previous owners..not really the cars fault, just a product of age..
Old 04-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I was in the same position that you are in, right now (originally had fogs, but I got the car w/out, bought a set of cheapo autozone fogs).
my wiring was crap, but the switch was good, so I just ran a wire, and used the oem fog switch to illuminate them.
Hope your wiring isn't fubar'd.

(I may be one of the previous owners wayne just mentioned for that ghetto-ish rigging )
Old 04-23-2009, 09:57 AM
mod or sell?

if it has been missing for a while the wires can get corroded which will render them useless. I would recommend checking the wiring for power and ground with a test light before wiring anything up. Also don't forget to check to make sure you have a good fuse installed.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey whats up i have a 91 vg auto. im getting 18 miles per gallon on the highway and i replaced plugs, fuel filter, oil, air filter and thermostat. the car makes a paapoof sound from the exhaust. if anyone can help that would be great. this is my second max and im stumped
Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 AM
mod or sell?

sounds like you have a miss, check the resistance on your injectors. chance are at least one is bad
Old 04-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

like at idle warm or cold all u hear is paaapoof. i hooked up a scanner at skool to check my maf and w.e else i could and it came up with a fuel pump fault and coil. but the car runs fine. the right pressure is there and im getting spark. im just really puzzled. this is my second vg max and im honestly puzzled
Old 04-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by importboy34
like at idle warm or cold all u hear is paaapoof. i hooked up a scanner at skool to check my maf and w.e else i could and it came up with a fuel pump fault and coil. but the car runs fine. the right pressure is there and im getting spark. im just really puzzled. this is my second vg max and im honestly puzzled
with the car running disconnect one spark plug wire at a time and see if any cylinders make no change when unplugged. if you unplug a wire and nothing changes, then that cylinder isn't firing. having the iacv unplugged (as long as your idle screw is adjusted properly) can make it easier to detect cuz that way the ECU can't compensate the idle.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:49 PM

New guy

How many posts I need to start my own thread? I want to document my 94 Turbo Max build here instead of over at the Z site. Heres a link to it.
http://z31performance.com/forum/view...p?f=13&t=15732
Old 04-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by blown-n-boosted
How many posts I need to start my own thread? I want to document my 94 Turbo Max build here instead of over at the Z site. Heres a link to it.

jk just 15
Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 PM

Can I borrow a few? lol
Old 04-23-2009, 08:06 PM

Well, i got the fogs hooked up. Look nice.

Didnt know that in order for them to come on, the headlights need to be turned on, and not just the side marker lights... Is there any way I can re-wire them so they work like that?

And also, one fog light is dimmer than the other. Can this be because of poor contact between the wires?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 PM

you know anyone selling a turbo off of a Z31?????????
Old 04-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Well, i got the fogs hooked up. Look nice.

Didnt know that in order for them to come on, the headlights need to be turned on, and not just the side marker lights... Is there any way I can re-wire them so they work like that?

And also, one fog light is dimmer than the other. Can this be because of poor contact between the wires?
yep. snip the red/yellow wire coming out of the bottom of the Fog Lamp Relay's socket and splice it to one of the red/yellow wires on the nearest (i assume driver side) corner lamp harness.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:13 AM

I have a complete t25 setup off a Z. Ecu, harness, injectors, ect.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

94 Max clutch question

Clutch loses compression. It might be fine for days, but then, like today I did a lot of start and stop driving, lost all compression. Had to let it cool down for about 15 minutes before I could get anything out of it, and then just barely got going in 1st gear.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Your clutch is bad. If your clutch was recently replaced I would suggest that your rear seal is leaking and you have a glazed clutch. But it definetly sounds like a bad clutch.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Your clutch is bad. If your clutch was recently replaced I would suggest that your rear seal is leaking and you have a glazed clutch. But it definetly sounds like a bad clutch.
Yea. I was afraid of that. Clutch was not recently replaced. Had it done about 3 years ago.
This does suck. I have 250,000 on her. Was hoping to get another 50K out of it. I hate to put any more $$ into it at this point.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

help

Hey i have a 94 maxima, i have a question concerning the cold air intake. I've seen a many pictures on here where people simply worked around the MAF sensor, by replacing the intake pipe before and slapping a cone filter after. Seeing as how i cant seem to find a kit with an air sensor adapter for under $200, i would like to inquiry the best way to go about installing a cold air kit, while working around the air sensor as i see most of you have. I would greatly appreciate any info you could give me.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:15 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by wowhesawesome
Hey i have a 94 maxima, i have a question concerning the cold air intake. I've seen a many pictures on here where people simply worked around the MAF sensor, by replacing the intake pipe before and slapping a cone filter after. Seeing as how i cant seem to find a kit with an air sensor adapter for under $200, i would like to inquiry the best way to go about installing a cold air kit, while working around the air sensor as i see most of you have. I would greatly appreciate any info you could give me.

--> http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...f-adapter.html
Old 04-24-2009, 07:33 PM

It fits!!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

It fits!!
[IMG]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb10/z31pook/Project%20Maxima/maximapics019.jpg[/IMG/]
[IMG]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb10/z31pook/Project%20Maxima/maximapics021.jpg[/IMG/]
[IMG]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb10/z31pook/Project%20Maxima/maximapics022.jpg[/IMG/]
[IMG]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb10/z31pook/Project%20Maxima/maximapics023.jpg[/IMG/]
JESUS CHRIST DUDE!!!!

get rid of that rustbucket car! that car isn't safe to be driven stock, let alone boosted!

or at least let that be a hack-up parts car that you are test fitting crap on.... not your actual street car.

o and btw i see your tranny there, automatic..... boost will eat that for lunch.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:03 PM

holy crap is that just a parts/test car or a actual project? boost it and all i see are hundreds of rusted parts flying off
Old 04-25-2009, 06:17 AM

First off heres a pic of the car before I tore it apart.

Look no rust! Unless you've already pulled your rad and condensor and fixed this yours it has it too in some way shape or form. Heres a major rust problem in a 90 max se.

I'm far from a noob and just installing a turbo should prove that. all maximas owners would be going turbo if there was a kit involved but there isn't. Ive only owned this car for 2 weeks and have already done more to it than most maxima owners will do in years. Wait another week or 2. I've already got all of my parts this last week. Spent more than $2000 on parts alone. Seriously I'm curious how many people are running Nistune on their ecu? I have mine. My parts list is huge and when I get these damn 15 posts you guys can watch the build too. Auto trans yea right.

Pedal and clutch master is in. Still need to cut auto brake pedal.

I'm probably the only gold 94 gxe owner that has full black interior. All the upper cloth crap on the interior was pulled out and rewrapped in black vinyl.(fresh install still dusty)

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)