3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What is it about the Gen3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:18 AM
kthxbye2u

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
and when you turned on the blower to level 4 it just... flew out..?
extra crispy ahahah

everyone tells me to get a new car... NO i love my maxima too damn much, this year im probably gonna spend close to 2 grand on it.

but im ok with that
you guys ever cringe when you spend money on your max?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
you guys ever cringe when you spend money on your max?
Nah, I don't spend money on it anymore, well not REAL money. Other then upkeep and simple repairs she's just about where I want her.

She's lowered, on 16's with the exhaust and intake opened up.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 AM

I has a huge *** bee in my vents once, but a lizard lol.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:44 AM

Mine has a lot of sentimental value. It was my grandpa's (who kept it in his garage accumulating more dust than miles), and I learned to drive a manual transmission on it. Plus it's my first car. I've started to get more into modifications since I got rid of my car payment, too (lots of them courtesy of advice on here). Basically, the longer I have it and the more work I put into it, the more proud I become of it. It's one thing my dad can't say about his Corvette.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had my Max since '97 and just can't give up on it. It's been down for a while with injector issues (among many others), but I was out there this morning getting everything put back together. I literally can't wait to get the thing back on the road.

Although my other car is a modded 07 WRX with far more power and much better handling, I still am almost giddy with anticipation on taking the Maxima out for a drive. I've given up at least 100 WHP in the Subie in mod money to get the Max back up to spec. None of that will matter though when I go for that first cruise...
Old 04-05-2008, 05:35 PM
kthxbye2u

Originally Posted by golfcartmaxima
None of that will matter though when I go for that first cruise...

AAAAAAAAAMEN!!!

Dude when I got my max fixed. (from that studdering problem) I was stoked! I was shaking with adrenaline! I LOVE IT! hahahahah

its a sweet feeling fo sho
Old 04-06-2008, 05:35 AM

i feel strong wen i sit in it
Old 04-06-2008, 04:56 PM

The Maxima is long, low, and sexy machine.

New cars look like plastic dumpsters.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
AAAAAAAAAMEN!!!

Dude when I got my max fixed. (from that studdering problem) I was stoked! I was shaking with adrenaline! I LOVE IT! hahahahah

its a sweet feeling fo sho

I really thought I was going to have her back this past weekend but unfortunately it'll still be a little while longer. I purchased 3 new injectors to install into the rear bank and was betting (hoping) that I could assemble 3 usable injectors for the front bank after testing my 6 old ones.

Turned out that I only had 2 out of 6 in spec (one of which was so brittle I ended up breaking it trying to remove it from the rail), with 2 providing zero resistance, 1 around 30 ohms, and one around 90 ohms. I honestly don't know how the car was even running before (it barely was). Looks like another week or so until I get her back on the road. That's what I get for trying to save a little money.

I'm really hoping for the best though as I've also replaced the knock sensor (and wiring harness), valve cover gaskets (was leaking oil into one of the spark plugs), and all related intake manifold gaskets while I had everything apart. I'm going to cry if it doesn't run smooth after this
Old 04-08-2008, 12:49 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by golfcartmaxima
I really thought I was going to have her back this past weekend but unfortunately it'll still be a little while longer. I purchased 3 new injectors to install into the rear bank and was betting (hoping) that I could assemble 3 usable injectors for the front bank after testing my 6 old ones.

Turned out that I only had 2 out of 6 in spec (one of which was so brittle I ended up breaking it trying to remove it from the rail), with 2 providing zero resistance, 1 around 30 ohms, and one around 90 ohms. I honestly don't know how the car was even running before (it barely was). Looks like another week or so until I get her back on the road. That's what I get for trying to save a little money.

I'm really hoping for the best though as I've also replaced the knock sensor (and wiring harness), valve cover gaskets (was leaking oil into one of the spark plugs), and all related intake manifold gaskets while I had everything apart. I'm going to cry if it doesn't run smooth after this
Don't forget bad exhaust studs can cause unsmoothness as well.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by VEvolution
NICE! haha. yeah i have bad exhaust studs, 2 of them causing 2 separate leaks, and it's really annoying to hear "wsshhh shh shh shh shh shh" over the grunt of the engine.... plus i can feel that there is a rhythmic roughness caused by _______ that i can feel through the shifter.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
NICE! haha. yeah i have bad exhaust studs, 2 of them causing 2 separate leaks, and it's really annoying to hear "wsshhh shh shh shh shh shh" over the grunt of the engine.... plus i can feel that there is a rhythmic roughness caused by _______ that i can feel through the shifter.
That "wsshhh shh shh shh shh shh" will turn in "chug chug chug" at idle if you don't clamp those manifolds down.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by shoult
That "wsshhh shh shh shh shh shh" will turn in "chug chug chug" at idle if you don't clamp those manifolds down.
in due time... tho likely i'll have my spare engine rebuilt and ready to drop in before i take a swing at the exhaust studs again. if i'm going to rebuild the other one might as well focus on it rather than fixing 2 engines at once. I just wonder what my fuel economy will be like after the rebuild. I haven't gotten under 20mpg in a year, and i haven't gotten under 25mpg since the swap. got a 29mpg tank last week, even with the bad studs and a wonky injector or two
Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by VEvolution

I replaced mine a few years back and luckily they seem to be holding. Not a fun job...

No unusual noises from any exhaust leaks or anything, just waaaay down on power and a terrible idle. It felt as if it had about 50 hp before I started breaking everything down and would frequently stall. I've never seen any colored smoke come out of the exhaust and it doesn't burn a drop of oil.

I feel pretty confident what I'm doing will help, as I've tested 4 of the 6 injectors as faulty and my knock sensor was torn and rotted. I've also taken the opportunity to replace all of my vacuum lines and rubber fuel hoses.

Once this is done I'll have to address the rattling sound I'm hearing from inside the bell housing of the transmission. Oh, and the brakes are about due for replacement. Ah, the joys of owning an aging car...