5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I've used a hanger wire and my strut bar to do some of my intakes.
lol.. right... i've rigged up some ghetto intake things before, but i wanna stay away from ghetto hook ups with this car because i really like it.. not that i hated my other cars, but you know.. i really take pride in this one, and i want everything to be as professional as possible
Old 12-29-2007, 05:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Old 12-29-2007, 06:52 PM

I've been reading on here quite a bit.. recently purchased a Silver 2002 SE 6-speed. I've tried a couple times to start a thread but I guess I need a minimum # of posts..

So my question of the moment:

I'm going to order the PAC AOEM-NIS2 to hook up an amp and sub from my old car. Is there any options for AUX in besides the Soundgate AUXNISS? Seems like a steep price.. but I would much rather have this since I use Rhapsody (subscription - so no CD burning).
Old 12-29-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by BCoon
I've been reading on here quite a bit.. recently purchased a Silver 2002 SE 6-speed. I've tried a couple times to start a thread but I guess I need a minimum # of posts..

So my question of the moment:

I'm going to order the PAC AOEM-NIS2 to hook up an amp and sub from my old car. Is there any options for AUX in besides the Soundgate AUXNISS? Seems like a steep price.. but I would much rather have this since I use Rhapsody (subscription - so no CD burning).
You need 15 posts to start a thread.
I know nothing about audio so I can't help you with that question.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:20 PM

Any ideas why my engine idles sluggishly (idle drops) for a couple seconds, then recovers and idles fine, then does the sluggish idle again only on COLD starts? This repeats pretty much until the car reaches a warmed state then idles and runs fine. Thanks for the help
Old 12-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Maxim24
Any ideas why my engine idles sluggishly (idle drops) for a couple seconds, then recovers and idles fine, then does the sluggish idle again only on COLD starts? This repeats pretty much until the car reaches a warmed state then idles and runs fine. Thanks for the help
your car is just cold...doesnt sound like anything wrong.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:45 PM

First off, my apologies if this has previously been posted. However upon searches through the org (both through google and forum search) I have struggled to come up with an answer to my question.

My question is, where is the EGR valve on a 5th gen 3.0L located? I have read numerous threads on many different forums as well as the FSM, and all the discriptions were a bit vauge for me. So I was wondering if anybody has a picture of the EGR valve location, vaccum hoses connected to it, etc. I would like to clean it since my car did not pass emissions. If anyone has this, can you please post or PM me. Much appreciated

-cheers
Old 12-30-2007, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wise-1
First off, my apologies if this has previously been posted. However upon searches through the org (both through google and forum search) I have struggled to come up with an answer to my question.

My question is, where is the EGR valve on a 5th gen 3.0L located? I have read numerous threads on many different forums as well as the FSM, and all the discriptions were a bit vauge for me. So I was wondering if anybody has a picture of the EGR valve location, vaccum hoses connected to it, etc. I would like to clean it since my car did not pass emissions. If anyone has this, can you please post or PM me. Much appreciated

-cheers

IIRC theres an EGR tube running from the rear header. It should be in that area.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:08 AM

I made this for you.
It's right out of the FSM.
Notice I color coded it for you.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:27 AM

Thank you spdfreak. That cleared things up a bit more than before (I guess I didn't look at the fsm hard enough ). But do you have a picture of an actual engine bay with the location? because i pulled my intake assembly, numerously confused myself with the golden selinoids for the fuel rails as the EGR, then came across something connected to the bottom of the TB which i pulled and the inside seemed to have alot of gunk inside it. At first I thought it was a electronic EGR, but I decided not to take my chances (it had a coolant line and some other hose running to it). I've read some say it is located under the throttle cables, but I couldn't pin-point that.

But atleast i know where the egr guide tube is now.

*edit*

My car is Canadian, if that makes a difference.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Wise-1
Thank you spdfreak. That cleared things up a bit more than before (I guess I didn't look at the fsm hard enough ). But do you have a picture of an actual engine bay with the location? because i pulled my intake assembly, numerously confused myself with the golden selinoids for the fuel rails as the EGR, then came across something connected to the bottom of the TB which i pulled and the inside seemed to have alot of gunk inside it. At first I thought it was a electronic EGR, but I decided not to take my chances (it had a coolant line and some other hose running to it). I've read some say it is located under the throttle cables, but I couldn't pin-point that.

But atleast i know where the egr guide tube is now.

*edit*

My car is Canadian, if that makes a difference.

Not smart to pull things apart, without knowing what you may damage.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:11 AM
Cletus

try this

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...1958_1970.html

this site is great for finding the locations of parts
Old 12-31-2007, 07:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Omni X Auto Sports HID bulbs

http://www.omnixautosports.com/d2s-h...s-set-s/66.htm

does anyone have experience with this company? I tried searching with no luck
Old 12-31-2007, 01:15 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by UnseenShadow
Omni X Auto Sports HID bulbs

http://www.omnixautosports.com/d2s-h...s-set-s/66.htm

does anyone have experience with this company? I tried searching with no luck
Honestly, I am not sure I would trust an Automotive parts company that can't spell 'brakes' correctly.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Cletus

thats funny as hell
Old 12-31-2007, 08:25 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by soonerfan
thats funny as hell
Stuns me how so many people, especially supposedly 'automotive' people, spell brakes as breaks.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Stuns me how so many people, especially supposedly 'automotive' people, spell brakes as breaks.

Difinetly located in China, and most likely is the same products from ebay.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a question and I tried to search for an answer in FAQ's but had no luck. Where did you guys buy your 5.5 Gen HID headlights besides the Nissan Dealer and Ebay?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by JTEK_404
I have a question and I tried to search for an answer in FAQ's but had no luck. Where did you guys buy your 5.5 Gen HID headlights besides the Nissan Dealer and Ebay?
you can check the classifieds here on the org. ppl sell them fairly regularly but they sell pretty quick
Old 01-01-2008, 09:18 PM

can someone please post a link to the thread with the howto for the BIG 3 wiring
Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by JTEK_404
Car-part.com

Try finding someone who is parting their car.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:16 AM

well i purchased my yellow h3 bulbs for my fog lights...and they are in. yesterday before i 'partially' detailed my car, i went to see if it was easy access to the fog lights...to my NON suprise there wasn't ...is there a link for fog light bulb installation? when i looked up fog light in the yahoo search it gave me a link to the 3rd gen maxima fog light install..and well i have a 00 max. any help would be appreciated. thanks

PS. i dont know if anyone is into using the nevrdull for their headlights, but i recommend it prior to using the headlight buffing method. i learned of it when i had my DC2, it worked then...and OMG did it work yesterday
Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 AM

Auto People Step In

I have an 02 AT GLE 84kmiles
I have a hyper grounding kit and Hayden 404 Transmission Cooler.
(Shifiting terms= nice use of rpm bands and "smoother" shifting)
Shifting is awsome, smooth and to the point in regular driving conditions. But when taking off (which hasnt been much at ALL) it isnt what I would expect a car to act like.

1st Gear into 2nd Gear rolls all the way out to +6000 rpm and then thumps into the shift while the remaining gears act typical. Is this Normal? IOW is this because my auxillary cooler in the cold winter? The rest of the gears are ok (or maybe I dont push it to go past regular shifting range hence much higher speeds) Please note In normal and aggressive driving conditions it doesnot wind out what so ever. Only when I push it hard.
Any input TIA
Old 01-02-2008, 07:07 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Prophecy99

1st Gear into 2nd Gear rolls all the way out to +6000 rpm and then thumps into the shift while the remaining gears act typical. Is this Normal? IOW is this because my auxillary cooler in the cold winter? The rest of the gears are ok (or maybe I dont push it to go past regular shifting range hence much higher speeds) Please note In normal and aggressive driving conditions it doesnot wind out what so ever. Only when I push it hard.
Any input TIA
Someone else mentioned the same thing in the ATF fluid sticky in the Fluids forum. His car only had 15k miles on it too.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...7&postcount=18

I've noticed soft 2-3 and 3-4 shifts in my car when it is under 40 or so when the car is cold but it clears up once the car is fully warmed up and isn't an issue on warmer days. Others mentioned in recent post their automatics are flaring (slipping and over reving) on cold days but shifting fine once the transmission warms up or on warmer days.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=548835

Can't figure out if it is normal or not. The guy with the tranny cooler only had 15k on his transmission so it would be reasonable to conclude his transmission isn't nearly worn out like one with higher mileage might be.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Headlight Removal(datadot)

I have recently purchased a 2002 Maxima SE, and unfortunately, I had an accident last night and I now need to remove the headlights and refit/realign the front bumper...but the headlights have the datadot stickers on them, can anyone offer any help with removing the headlights?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:46 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by t-y1989
I have recently purchased a 2002 Maxima SE, and unfortunately, I had an accident last night and I now need to remove the headlights and refit/realign the front bumper...but the headlights have the datadot stickers on them, can anyone offer any help with removing the headlights?
Someone might be willing to help you via PM, but no one will post the information on the board, especially since you are new here. No offense, but no one knows who you are and with all the HID thefts in the northeast, no one here will put the information how to remove them on the board for all to read.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:16 PM
New to the Max Game

Hi, guys. I have a question regarding the front suspension on my 2000 Se. I'm getting a rattling sound on my front passenger side. I replaced the front strut, end links and control arm bushings, and still the noise. Does anyone have a picture of the front suspension layout from a repair manual that might help me out find what component is making noise. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by t-y1989
remove it like a normal headlight. datadot is a tracking system on the headlights and has not impact on removal.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys i have a 2000 maxima se and the check engine light code is p1320 which means of the the cylinders is misfiring (or coils). I was wondering how i can pinpoint the faulty coil. Please guys i do not want to spend a lot of money to get 6 brand new coils. Please give me a way to check each one. Thanks a lot guys!!
Old 01-02-2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by JCD89
Hi, guys. I have a question regarding the front suspension on my 2000 Se. I'm getting a rattling sound on my front passenger side. I replaced the front strut, end links and control arm bushings, and still the noise. Does anyone have a picture of the front suspension layout from a repair manual that might help me out find what component is making noise. Thanks for any input.
Did you replace the strut mount as well? It's the black piece sitting at the very top of the spring/strut assembly that has the three studs which are visible in the engine bay. I know those are prone to start making creaking noises as they get older.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by spdfreak
Difinetly located in China, and most likely is the same products from ebay.
WTF...Yes..I did that before..Ok, I'm Chinese..
Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by ballin4eva
Hey guys i have a 2000 maxima se and the check engine light code is p1320 which means of the the cylinders is misfiring (or coils). I was wondering how i can pinpoint the faulty coil. Please guys i do not want to spend a lot of money to get 6 brand new coils. Please give me a way to check each one. Thanks a lot guys!!

Link

Right out of the stickies.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm debating on getting the 5.5 Gen Headlights since I've read so much about theft. But what I wanna know is, why are they so popular? Resale value, looks or just because of HID? Are the AE's style stolen as much if refitted w/ HID?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:07 AM
New to the Max Game

Originally Posted by Armon
Did you replace the strut mount as well? It's the black piece sitting at the very top of the spring/strut assembly that has the three studs which are visible in the engine bay. I know those are prone to start making creaking noises as they get older.
I did replace the mounts also.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
well i purchased my yellow h3 bulbs for my fog lights...and they are in. yesterday before i 'partially' detailed my car, i went to see if it was easy access to the fog lights...to my NON suprise there wasn't ...is there a link for fog light bulb installation? when i looked up fog light in the yahoo search it gave me a link to the 3rd gen maxima fog light install..and well i have a 00 max. any help would be appreciated. thanks

PS. i dont know if anyone is into using the nevrdull for their headlights, but i recommend it prior to using the headlight buffing method. i learned of it when i had my DC2, it worked then...and OMG did it work yesterday

i wonder the same thing dude
Old 01-03-2008, 06:11 AM
the org...not what it was

i wonder the same thing dude
http://your.bamawisp.net/maxima/wiki...ll_%2800-01%29
Old 01-03-2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by ballin4eva

Once one starts going the rest follow it would be better for you to just get 6 and save yourself the anger later i got a set on ebay for like 250 plus shipping
Old 01-03-2008, 06:13 AM
the org...not what it was

At what point are you getting this sound? When you are cruising, turning, sitting still? Does it sound like metal on metal?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd start checking the easy things before tearing into things; is the strut hat bolt tightened all the way to spec? Is the spring seated on the perch properly? Are the spring isolators covering the bottom coil of the spring that is in contact with the perch?

See also:

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/su...on_noises.html
Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 AM

thanks man helps a ton..maybe ill do the foglight bulb change swap today

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread