5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:47 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by chris in va
I just bought a 2000 SE 5-speed, 112k miles. The previous owner said he replaced the MAF but it still has an obvious stutter at 3500rpm, so I'd like to try cleaning it before dropping $120 on a new sensor.

I'm armed with a Dremel and some QD electronic cleaner. The 'torx' bolts have that post in the middle, so I'm guessing those have to be ground down first? Or can it be cleaned still installed in the tube...
You shouldn't have to grind anything down. I just unbolted mine, sprayed it from all angles, let it dry, and reinstalled it. It might not be your MAF that is causing that shutter. Do you have any MIL/SES lights?

Originally Posted by XKlusive_Drunky
I got a 03 GLE with 75k, my check engine light came on and i talked to my uncles and my dad but when i turn the engine on and rev it on 2k rpm, it makes a vibration noise on the motor. Now my uncle said it was my valve lipster that got weak and i got power still, i changed my oil and it makes the noise alot less but my check light is still on......
Was the MIL code read via an OBD II reader/scanner? Or is your uncle just making an assumption?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:04 PM

just had my muffler replaced and they didnt put the tip back on it because they couldnt get it off the old muffler...can anyone tell me where I can get a new stock tip for a 00 maxima?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:12 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by ToneBoat923
just had my muffler replaced and they didnt put the tip back on it because they couldnt get it off the old muffler...can anyone tell me where I can get a new stock tip for a 00 maxima?
Good luck! I posted a thread a few ago trying to find a place to get one. You will probably have to go to a junk yard, or get some aftermarket ones from Pep Boys or something.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

Muffler tip Here
Old 11-06-2006, 02:09 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
$42 for a piece of aluminum. lol we both are are better off getting aftermarket.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

www.car-part.com
Old 11-06-2006, 02:48 PM

It's definitely the MAF. Previous owner said he replaced it, but I'm not convinced after tearing out the airbox last night. Looks like it hasn't been touched in years.

The bolts I'm talking about are the two on either side of the MAF sensor holding it in the tube. Torx style with the center post. Maybe they include the tube with the MAF when you buy one?

I did a little searching and it's called a 'Tamper Resistant Torx' bolt.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:49 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by chris in va
It's definitely the MAF. Previous owner said he replaced it, but I'm not convinced after tearing out the airbox last night. Looks like it hasn't been touched in years.

The bolts I'm talking about are the two on either side of the MAF sensor holding it in the tube. Torx style with the center post. Maybe they include the tube with the MAF when you buy one?

I did a little searching and it's called a 'Tamper Resistant Torx' bolt.
no need to take the sensor out of the tube. Just gently spray it and let it dry inside the tube.

btw, MAFs are alot cheaper if bought from DaveB
Old 11-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I own a 2k2 SE max... on the head lights where they have yellow/amber lenses on the turn signals is there clear replacement lenses..and if there is..is it a real PIA to change over...thank for the help.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:48 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by mikessilvermax
I own a 2k2 SE max... on the head lights where they have yellow/amber lenses on the turn signals is there clear replacement lenses..and if there is..is it a real PIA to change over...thank for the help.
read and know...

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/clear_HIDs.html
Old 11-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Quick ?. I'm about to do the fog lights re-wire...does Housecor How To on the re-wire allow the fogs to come on when I lock/unlock my car with my remote? Key not in the ignition i guess...?

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/fog_rewire.html
Old 11-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
You shouldn't have to grind anything down. I just unbolted mine, sprayed it from all angles, let it dry, and reinstalled it. It might not be your MAF that is causing that shutter. Do you have any MIL/SES lights?

Was the MIL code read via an OBD II reader/scanner? Or is your uncle just making an assumption?
i went to auto zone and the codes said that i have a camshaft sensor troubleshooting on #1 and crankshaft sensor troubleshooting on #2 i dont know what the hell that means but i know it dont sound good i cant remember exactly what it said but when i get back home i'll let you know, im working offshore right now.... i just needed some pointers that way when i get home i know what to do.

and like i said any help would really be greeatful..:confused
Old 11-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

it was an assumption but he might be right cuz i talked to my homies dad who is a mechanic and had him confirm and said yea its most likely the valve lipster.... but i havn't taken it to him cuz im way out here and dont get home till the 16th, so i got some time to think what i can do when i get home.... i didn't wanna drive it 600 miles round trip and break down in the middle of louisiana.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:02 AM

Will HID 4300k in high beams make a BIG difference in seeing more **** at night?
Old 11-07-2006, 03:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Trevor28
Hey on the 2000 Maxima, is there a way to retract the rear seat belt into its compartment? The one in the middle that is. Usually , you pull on it the belt and it retracts. Thank you

It has been my experience that the dealership will repair/ replace faulty seatbealts.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

window regulator and motor

Posted on behalf of nditsmo

Originally Posted by nditsmo
Sorry to ask this but I have been searching with no luck. I need help installing a window reguator and motor in a 2000 nissan maxima. I can't move the window up or down to get the screws out and I saw the installation on CraigBrace's 93 maxima, is it similar cause the only thing that I can't do is move my window up or down in order to get to the screws at the bottom of the window. It also seems that I will not be able to fit my arms behind the door to get to the old regulator also. Any ideas on how I should do this. Any advice is helpful. If Anybody near Buffalo can help me it would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Memphis2k1
Quick ?. I'm about to do the fog lights re-wire...does Housecor How To on the re-wire allow the fogs to come on when I lock/unlock my car with my remote? Key not in the ignition i guess...?

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/fog_rewire.html
Your headlights don't flash when you lock/unlock your car with the remote, just the marker lights, so I don't think your fogs will "flash" either.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

went to auto zone and the codes said that i have a camshaft sensor troubleshooting on #1 and crankshaft sensor troubleshooting on #2 i dont know what the hell that means but i know it dont sound good i cant remember exactly what it said but when i get back home i'll let you know, im working offshore right now.... i just needed some pointers that way when i get home i know what to do.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=498617
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=378156
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=343229

likely the valve lipster
Please stop saying that word.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:17 PM

My Questions

1. My car stutters between 1000-2000 rpm. Plus the cruise goes up and down.

2. P0420 came on 2 days ago . I reseted the ECU by unplugging the battery and the SES went. It happened on a rainy day. Can O2 be sensitive to get moisture and trigger SES. Should I update the ECU.

3. How do we fit 5" rear speaker when there are only 3 holes in the door.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:32 PM

Fog light bulb question - i'm lookin to buy new fog bulbs in the next day or two. I know i need h3 55 w bulbs. What does the output wattage mean. ie: Some are 55/80 and others are 55/110. Would i be safe with either in a stock 2k housing, or should i stick with 55/80 (which is what i have now)? I reeaalllyyyyy don't wanna melt anything. Any input is appreciated... tia

right now i'm thinkin i'll get these.
http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=983
or these
http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=356
or these
http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=447
Old 11-08-2006, 12:45 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by choopster
1. My car stutters between 1000-2000 rpm. Plus the cruise goes up and down.

2. P0420 came on 2 days ago . I reseted the ECU by unplugging the battery and the SES went. It happened on a rainy day. Can O2 be sensitive to get moisture and trigger SES. Should I update the ECU.

3. How do we fit 5" rear speaker when there are only 3 holes in the door.
Regarding your code 0420 http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=289375

Why do you want 5"? Don't we all have 6.5" stock in all doors? If you want a 5", then you have to make a bracket to mount the speaker and probably drill new holes.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:48 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by GigEmAgs07
Fog light bulb question - i'm lookin to buy new fog bulbs in the next day or two. I know i need h3 55 w bulbs. What does the output wattage mean. ie: Some are 55/80 and others are 55/110. Would i be safe with either in a stock 2k housing, or should i stick with 55/80 (which is what i have now)? I reeaalllyyyyy don't wanna melt anything. Any input is appreciated... tia

right now i'm thinkin i'll get these.
http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=983
or these
http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=356
or these
http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=447
Your bulbs draw 55w of juice from the car, but, the light output is 80W. Most l ight bulbs draw less juice, but give out more light. Look into getting some PIAA H3's/4's. They are more expensive, but have nice light output.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by VaporHead
Your bulbs draw 55w of juice from the car, but, the light output is 80W. Most l ight bulbs draw less juice, but give out more light. Look into getting some PIAA H3's/4's. They are more expensive, but have nice light output.

So a 55/130 light poses no more potential harm to my wiring/harnesses than a 55/80 does? Both are safe?
Old 11-08-2006, 03:32 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by GigEmAgs07
So a 55/130 light poses no more potential harm to my wiring/harnesses than a 55/80 does? Both are safe?
Yes, they are safe. You just need to look at the draw wattage, i.e. 55W/80. Just look at those first set of #'s.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:37 PM

good deal, thanks for the quick response. Just in time for me to have to go to class! Stupid biochemistry.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:00 PM

Man I've had it with this car here's my questions

1) will the motor mounts off of a 3.5 02 max fit on my 2000 max? both are auto

2) will the starter off of the 3.5 02 fit on my 2000?

thanks
Old 11-11-2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick.R
Man I've had it with this car here's my questions

1) will the motor mounts off of a 3.5 02 max fit on my 2000 max? both are auto
Are you talking about the hole mount or just the inside? If you want better mounts just get after market replacements for the stock rubber part inside the motor mount.

Originally Posted by Patrick.R
2) will the starter off of the 3.5 02 fit on my 2000?

thanks
I dont think so is your car auto or manuall?
Old 11-11-2006, 05:34 PM

qoute"Are you talking about the hole mount or just the inside? If you want better mounts just get after market replacements for the stock rubber part inside the motor mount?"qoute

I'm talking about the whole mount

Like I said in my first post both cars are auto

Also I found out it wasn't the starter it's the solnoid

So my next question is will the solnoid off of a 02 fit on my 00?

FYI just because it says noobie under my user name doesn't mean I dont know anything,I have to try and guess what the issue is from across the city thru my girldfriend cuz the car wouldn't start.

thanks again.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:57 PM

Same Question....Different Thread

Ok, I have replaced my MAF on my 2002 se 3 times since about 90k. I was driving to work the other day and it blew again at 119k. Engine went into limp mode and i couldnt rev past 2500 rpm. I pulled into my shop and pulled the code and sure enough it was the MAF. I have a Berk Intake with the K&N filter. I heeded your warnings and lightly oiled the filter to avoid blowing another MAF but it happend anyways. Does it have to do with the Intake or is there something else wrong? i keep getting intermittent EVAP codes and o2 codes. Could that have something to do with it? I was thinking I should go back to the stock airbox being as my problems started after I got the Intake.
I hope this would solve my problem but im not sure. Anyways thanks for any help guys!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

powerloss on cold starts

I recently replaced the coils on my 2000 gle and the car was fine for a month, but now when I try to drive it when it is cold it has no response to the throttle for 5 seconds. I feather the throttle to get going and then it is just fine. This is annoying backing out of my driveway into traffic and having to sit there for a couple of seconds waiting for my car to come alive. There is no knocking or anything just hesitates. After car is warm there is no problems. Please help.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:11 AM

Are the front and rear door speakers of the same size?

thx
Old 11-13-2006, 10:08 AM

In the cold morning my car will not stay alive unless I hit the gas and keep it there until it starts to get warm then it will sit there and studder until it gets warm.
Would this be due to and O2 sensor at the cat, or possibly the cat?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:37 AM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by choopster
Are the front and rear door speakers of the same size?

thx
Yes, 6.5" I believe.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:53 AM

Hey guys,
I got a 2001 maxima and have been dealing with some issues lately.

I got the 0420 code so I brought it to Nissan and they reprogrammed the ECU. They told me if it turns back on then its the CAT and its covered under the 8/80 warranty. I am happy with that

I also just replaced the front rotors and brakes with the Hawk pads and OEM rotors.

Okay,
My question is, is when I turn the key on I get this sound coming from under the hood ( not whining but kinda). I assume its a fuel pump or something to do with the starter. Any ideas??

When I close my driver side door I get a squeak from what seems like either a hood mount or fender mount. Any idea where this mike come from?
Old 11-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello All,
I am new to the site. Can anyone help!!! I own a 2003 Maxima 6 spd with 55,000 miles. I love the car but I'm having a problem with the MisFire of cylinder 6 with a code of P0306. I do know anything about cars can anyone help!!! After i run the scanner on the car and clear the error code the car will run for about 100 miles than misfire in cylider 6. I would apprecite any help!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by pyro02se
Ok, I have replaced my MAF on my 2002 se 3 times since about 90k. I was driving to work the other day and it blew again at 119k. Engine went into limp mode and i couldnt rev past 2500 rpm. I pulled into my shop and pulled the code and sure enough it was the MAF. I have a Berk Intake with the K&N filter. I heeded your warnings and lightly oiled the filter to avoid blowing another MAF but it happend anyways. Does it have to do with the Intake or is there something else wrong? i keep getting intermittent EVAP codes and o2 codes. Could that have something to do with it? I was thinking I should go back to the stock airbox being as my problems started after I got the Intake.
I hope this would solve my problem but im not sure. Anyways thanks for any help guys!

try the new AEM oilless filter. Get the 3" opeining by five or 6 inches long. Just wash and dry when it gets dirty.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:07 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by Mastro75
Hello All,
I am new to the site. Can anyone help!!! I own a 2003 Maxima 6 spd with 55,000 miles. I love the car but I'm having a problem with the MisFire of cylinder 6 with a code of P0306. I do know anything about cars can anyone help!!! After i run the scanner on the car and clear the error code the car will run for about 100 miles than misfire in cylider 6. I would apprecite any help!!!!!!
Welcome to the .org. Most likely cause is either a bad coil and/or spark plug. The coil is what plugs into the spark plug. Coils are around $55-75 each. When is the last time you changed the plugs? HAve you done any mods or anything to the intake? Sometimes a leak in the intake "can" cause misfire, then the misfire will probably lead to a 02 sensor code, etc.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:15 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by maximamass
Hey guys,
I got a 2001 maxima and have been dealing with some issues lately.

I got the 0420 code so I brought it to Nissan and they reprogrammed the ECU. They told me if it turns back on then its the CAT and its covered under the 8/80 warranty. I am happy with that

I also just replaced the front rotors and brakes with the Hawk pads and OEM rotors.

Okay,
My question is, is when I turn the key on I get this sound coming from under the hood ( not whining but kinda). I assume its a fuel pump or something to do with the starter. Any ideas??

When I close my driver side door I get a squeak from what seems like either a hood mount or fender mount. Any idea where this mike come from?
Your fuel pump will turn on for a second or two after turning the key on. You will notice this more if you dont turn the motor on. You always will here kind of like a vacuum type sound as well, which is normal.

Regarding the squek, you might have to be more specific. Have your tried to WD40 your door hinges? Try to isolate the sound by having a friend open and close the door while you listen.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey VaporHead,
Thanks for the response,t he only other code that I have gotten was the EVAP code P0146. Is a misfire a serious issue?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:19 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by Mastro75
Hey VaporHead,
Thanks for the response,t he only other code that I have gotten was the EVAP code P0146. Is a misfire a serious issue?
A misfire will lead to having horrible gas mileage and possible clogging of the cat since the fuel is not being burned. Easiest thing to do is replace that spark plug and see of the code goes away.

What is that EVAP code? Sometimes you just need to retighten your gas cap and reset the ECU (usually disco the battery for an hour).

EDIT: I got the code....duh You sure it's a P0146? I see no code of that #

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread