5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
If you're a full time college kid, party, screw, drink, and mod your car after college. modding isn't cheap, that's the point.
haha yeah... I'm not a typical college kid though. I like to keep myself busy rather than party. I work essentially full time as well, so I have a bit of cash flow. Its nice to have a well-sound car. Plus me and a buddy are having a little unspoken battle of who has a better car [he has a 94 3000gt (non-turbo)] I got it!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:04 PM

o2 Simulator

i am going to get a o2 simulator. my car is 2000 max cali spec and i am pulling p0138 and p0139.(bank 1 rear, sensor 2)

Do i need to get a single output simulator

or a double output simulator since its only 1 sensor for those two codes?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2008, 04:14 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Bradbmx1
haha yeah... I'm not a typical college kid though. I like to keep myself busy rather than party. I work essentially full time as well, so I have a bit of cash flow. Its nice to have a well-sound car. Plus me and a buddy are having a little unspoken battle of who has a better car [he has a 94 3000gt (non-turbo)] I got it!
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=337093
Rear Sway Bar would be a good start.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 PM

Does anyone know a good, reputable vendor for a manual transmission on the east coast? I am hopefully going to make this AT to MT swap sometime next year, and I need to start looking at prices and options so that I can save up.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can somebody please tell me how to replace my sidemarkers? I bought clear ones to replace the stock ones. I have been searching on here but all i have gotten is dead ends. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Glory Glory Man United

If you use the directions how to get those old links working that could help you.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=543973

And also if your car came with a Manual it has directions with pictures as well.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=sidemarkers

I just did a seach and I got the link above was the 2nd on the search.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 01_Maxine
If you use the directions how to get those old links working that could help you.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=543973

And also if your car came with a Manual it has directions with pictures as well.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=sidemarkers

I just did a seach and I got the link above was the 2nd on the search.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much! I didnt find that thread when i was searching and i was using the directions to get the old links working. I think i wasnt finding what i needed because i was using the words "turn signal lenses" instead of sidemarkers...haha...been a long weekend for me...thanks again!
Old 05-11-2008, 06:10 PM

haha yooo Brad and NmexMAX! Im a full time college student too and i put money in the Max asap when i got it! Make money during breaks and then put it into the car! This is where scholarships come in handy haha Thats what i do, and im in the same position, buddy's got a 05 WRX turbo of course (auto though!) haha! every time i need my car he jumps to go drive the 5 spd haha!

who cares that i dont have a turbo and weigh a little more! :~

Last edited by tibal; 05-11-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by 00MaximaGLEgrl
Can somebody please tell me how to replace my sidemarkers? I bought clear ones to replace the stock ones. I have been searching on here but all i have gotten is dead ends. Thanks!
from the owners manual

Old 05-11-2008, 09:27 PM

my fog lights are supposed to come on when my lights come one, right?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Mattlikespeoples
my fog lights are supposed to come on when my lights come one, right?
with your low beams...if you have the fog lights turned on
Old 05-11-2008, 09:31 PM

ok, the stick (cant think of the real name for it) just has the light thing to select 'OFF', 'ON', and 'AUTO'. Maybe I've just over looked the fog light switch but where would that be?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Cletus

ok, the stick (cant think of the real name for it) just has the light thing to select 'OFF', 'ON', and 'AUTO'. Maybe I've just over looked the fog light switch but where would that be?
its called a "stalk" and there is a fog light switch ring right next the the main light switch.
its all explained in your owners manual.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:56 PM

you are correct sir. just a tiny little ring and i got them working. feel like a noob but thats what this thread is for. thanks sooner
Old 05-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Cletus

you are correct sir. just a tiny little ring and i got them working. feel like a noob but thats what this thread is for. thanks sooner
yup....

mine always stay on...so i forget about it....then ill accidentally turn them off...and for a few seconds i think my fog bulbs are out...then i remember
Old 05-12-2008, 01:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question

If any1 knos if its possible to change the 01 maxima front bumper for an 03 bumper along with the grille? and if i get the 03 Hid headlights ..will they be plug and play..or do I have to do a special conversion??? please help
Old 05-12-2008, 06:18 AM
peg
Newbie - Just Registered

01 maxima, AC problem...

Hi,
my problem is when Ac is on it makes loud noise, but some times it even wont come on, so i have to keep pushing AC button till it gets on. of course when it gets on it's loud. at least it's really cold. it started with just being loud, now it takes more and more time to get it on. i believe when it's running i can feel compressor going on and off every few secunds. any idea?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by peg
Hi,
my problem is when Ac is on it makes loud noise, but some times it even wont come on, so i have to keep pushing AC button till it gets on. of course when it gets on it's loud. at least it's really cold. it started with just being loud, now it takes more and more time to get it on. i believe when it's running i can feel compressor going on and off every few secunds. any idea?
Sounds like the compressor is going out or very low on freon. Could also be the blower motor. Is the noise coming from the dash area or the engine?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:38 AM
peg
Newbie - Just Registered

noise is coming from engine.
if the freon is low, how come when ac works it's very cold?
thank you for reply.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Glory Glory Man United

yes its possible , I just did it to my 01 AE but i still have to get the 5.5(02-03) head lights which are not plug and play those require some wiring . My buddy and I search on the org and found alot of helpful threads on the 5.5 bumper conversation.

Originally Posted by americadecali
If any1 knos if its possible to change the 01 maxima front bumper for an 03 bumper along with the grille? and if i get the 03 Hid headlights ..will they be plug and play..or do I have to do a special conversion??? please help
Old 05-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Amp Question - did it blow my alternator?

Hi
I have a MTX 801D 800Watts amp that I think blew my alternator.
I have a couple questions.
1. When I hook up the amp to the battery it sparks...is this normal?
2. I usually had my subwoofer taken out (to make room in the trunk) and the amp remote wire was disconnected but otherwise it was connected to power...is this okay or should I have also taken out the positive/neg cables from the amp?
3. I did not tune anything, the line level converter was on full and the controls on the amp were turned up for max bass (not professionally).
4. The sub is a Rockford Fosgate P3 dual voice coil. On 2ohms the amp gives out 800 watts which is how i hooked it up to the sub.
5. No cap was hooked up. My car is a 2001 Nissan Maxima

Are these the reasons that my alternator went out? What should I do now that I want to hook it back up.

Thanks a lot for your input in advance!

Also, When I do reconnect I will be using a chart I found on the internet to set the proper level for gain on the amp. Is this alrite or should i be also doing something else?

Last edited by genious; 05-12-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:13 AM

I have a new question.

I have a 00 Maxima, and it runs like a charm. However I am having a problem with my air conditioner. It runs fine whenever I'm moving. However, whenever I'm at a standstill, the air stops blowing cold, and starts blowing hot and muggy. My dad checked the pressure, and its fine. Any suggestions?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks man....but now im hearing that only oem front bumpers fit without a problem...where did you get yours?? and do you think this is a good quality oem bumper

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...QQN010308.html
Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by peg
noise is coming from engine.
if the freon is low, how come when ac works it's very cold?
thank you for reply.
How warm is it where you are? If it is only in the 70s, even with low freon most a/c's put out acceptably cold air. Typically, when the system is low on freon, it cycles on and off frequently.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Bradbmx1
I have a new question.

I have a 00 Maxima, and it runs like a charm. However I am having a problem with my air conditioner. It runs fine whenever I'm moving. However, whenever I'm at a standstill, the air stops blowing cold, and starts blowing hot and muggy. My dad checked the pressure, and its fine. Any suggestions?
Check to make sure both cooling fans are working.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Glory Glory Man United

All depo parts are not going to fit as perfect as OEM.. I got mine from Nissan . You might want to try Junk Yards or even people that part out cars here which is picking up.

Not sure looks like its a depo replacement part.

Originally Posted by americadecali
thanks man....but now im hearing that only oem front bumpers fit without a problem...where did you get yours?? and do you think this is a good quality oem bumper

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...QQN010308.html
Old 05-13-2008, 08:12 AM
peg
Newbie - Just Registered

ac problem

i'm in florida,the other day was 90 at ac was fine.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:18 AM

Hey guys, I've got a 00 and am contemplating on doing the 6th Gen Brake conversion when I buy new brakes. From what I read, my understanding is that it is a direct bolt on; but I was thinking about buying just the front and rear calipers and using my own pad/rotor combo, or do I need to go totally OEM for this swap?

EDIT: Also, will I need to change rims? If so what size would be sufficient?

Last edited by TakeIt2TheMAX; 05-13-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by TakeIt2TheMAX
Hey guys, I've got a 00 and am contemplating on doing the 6th Gen Brake conversion when I buy new brakes. From what I read, my understanding is that it is a direct bolt on; but I was thinking about buying just the front and rear calipers and using my own pad/rotor combo, or do I need to go totally OEM for this swap?

EDIT: Also, will I need to change rims? If so what size would be sufficient?
If you have an 00 - 01, your wheels will not fit. Only the 02+ SE wheels fit. Perhaps if you added spacers, they might clear.
What rotors were you planning on using? If they are the exact same size as 6th gen OEM, you'll be fine, i.e., they do not need to be brand (Nissan) specific, as long as they are the same size as OEM.

If you read these, read them again:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=358685
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=291235
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=282207
Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
If you have an 00 - 01, your wheels will not fit. Only the 02+ SE wheels fit. Perhaps if you added spacers, they might clear.
What rotors were you planning on using? If they are the exact same size as 6th gen OEM, you'll be fine, i.e., they do not need to be brand (Nissan) specific, as long as they are the same size as OEM.

If you read these, read them again:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=358685
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=291235
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=282207

Thanks!!!

EDIT: Rotors are either gonna be Brembo blanks or Power Slot slotted rotor, pads are most likely gonna be Hawk HPS, if I can't find a comparible Brembo pad that will fit.

I was also reading about the 6th gen rear calipers, and how they won't fit because of the E-brake. I was wondering what the benefit would be (if any) to use a 6th gen sized rear rotor with the stock caliper? Also, what is the difference in rear rotor size from stock to 6th gen

Few more things, what are the other negative effects of spacers besides torque steer, and how much do they run? I really don't have the funds to buy new rims, and probably wont until next summer, unless someone could give me a steal on 5.5 gen rims (less than $100); i'll look into spacers. I'll probably be doing this conversion when my birthday/Christmas comes around, so Mommy and Daddy can foot the bill...LOL. I'm really just looking for what I want right now, so I can compare prices and find the best deal....

Last edited by TakeIt2TheMAX; 05-13-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:09 PM

how do i know if my sparkplugs are misfiring? i just changed em out and something feels weird.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by pyroz
how do i know if my sparkplugs are misfiring? i just changed em out and something feels weird.

Im going through that right now... it was not the plugs... it was the coils... you can test them with a volt meter (look at the repair book for details) but if i was you, I would replace all of them... its only a matter of time before the other ones give you problems.

now if you want to check your plugs... just pull the suckers out... check to see if they are shot or not... but you said you changed them out so my guess is the coils... how many miles on your max? what year?

D.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by SunDown13X
Im going through that right now... it was not the plugs... it was the coils... you can test them with a volt meter (look at the repair book for details) but if i was you, I would replace all of them... its only a matter of time before the other ones give you problems.

now if you want to check your plugs... just pull the suckers out... check to see if they are shot or not... but you said you changed them out so my guess is the coils... how many miles on your max? what year?

D.
o, what i meant was what symptoms would i encounter if they were misfiring? I don't want to replace all 6 coils at 60 dollars a piece if i didn't have to. its a 00 max with 85k miles.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stalling Problem

Having problem with car stalling or one knock when first move into drive after car sits for a couple hours. will take 20 second or so before it gets power, then car runs great. hit the gas right after drive go no where car almost dies. read up on the MAF, not sure if that is it, was thinking about trying to clean that myself. just put in new spark plugs and pvc valve. car only has 90,000 on it. Love the car , need some help

thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 01:29 PM

im thinking of getting a stillen wai intake kit for an 01 max. is this a good idea, or does anyone have any advice they could give me? also how much would one of these systems be used? i know its 134 on the stillen website.
will it mess with the MAF or should i look into the berk intake instead?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:05 PM
dot dot dot ...

EDIT: Rotors are either gonna be Brembo blanks or Power Slot slotted rotor, pads are most likely gonna be Hawk HPS, if I can't find a comparible Brembo pad that will fit.
As long as these pads & rotors are for the 6th gen, you'll be fine.

was also reading about the 6th gen rear calipers, and how they won't fit because of the E-brake. I was wondering what the benefit would be (if any) to use a 6th gen sized rear rotor with the stock caliper? Also, what is the difference in rear rotor size from stock to 6th gen
Leave the stock rear brakes, you'll be fine with them. they're similar in size and changing them will only affect your ebrake operation. Also, that's the problem, 6th gen ebrakes are incorporated into the rotor, like Z32 units.

Few more things, what are the other negative effects of spacers besides torque steer, and how much do they run?
I've never experienced any torque steer with my H&R spacers. I got mine for 65$(front only). Do a search in the Tires & Wheel Forum and you can see where to find QUALITY spacers.

I really don't have the funds to buy new rims, and probably wont until next summer, unless someone could give me a steal on 5.5 gen rims (less than $100);
Keep an eye out in the classifieds on here.

i'll look into spacers. I'll probably be doing this conversion when my birthday/Christmas comes around, so Mommy and Daddy can foot the bill...LOL. I'm really just looking for what I want right now, so I can compare prices and find the best deal....
Research, research, research ...

Originally Posted by T3hGman
im thinking of getting a stillen wai intake kit for an 01 max. is this a good idea, or does anyone have any advice they could give me? also how much would one of these systems be used? i know its 134 on the stillen website.
Definitely go with a JWT over Stillen. Same piece for less $. Check Courtesy Nissan for an online deal on one, or call JWT.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Cletus

the stillen is overpriced and does the same thing as the less expensive berk
Old 05-13-2008, 07:10 PM

Does anyone have any idea of how hard it is to change the brake lines??
Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 PM

can you guys send me some links or websites where i can find a decent priced intake for my 01 max?
I cant find that JWT intake and the cheapest berk ive seen has been like 180$
Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 AM
dot dot dot ...

can you guys send me some links or websites where i can find a decent priced intake for my 01 max?
I cant find that JWT intake and the cheapest berk ive seen has been like 180$
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=PMAX0-1XGE0

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread