5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by daesonn
I have a question. I own a 2001 maxima that I believe never had any sort of fog lights installed. It just has some gray vents in place of where the fog lights would be. Am I correct in assuming that there is already wiring behind the vents for NON-HID foglights that I could plug my new foglights right into?

If so, what would you guys recommend to me as the best foglight bulbs for the money, i'm not looking to spend too much or else I would purchase the HID kit upgrade. I'd appreciate a cleat whitish look, with maybe some added color, but I don't want to have to change my bulbs in less than a year...cough silverstar ultras cough...

Thanks
it is prewired...you just need the lights and new stalk with the fog light swich

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=B61E0-00001
Old 06-19-2008, 05:52 AM
peg
Newbie - Just Registered

a/c doesn't work when it's hot...

pressure is around 45, so it shouldn't need more freon. any idea ?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
it is prewired...you just need the lights and new stalk with the fog light swich

whaaat? i have to buy a new stalk and foglight switch? I thought either the first or third turn of my current stalk would turn the foglights on, because they both just turn on my current headlights...with no difference... whats the point of that?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Cletus

whaaat? i have to buy a new stalk and foglight switch? I thought either the first or third turn of my current stalk would turn the foglights on, because they both just turn on my current headlights...with no difference... whats the point of that?
the fog light switch is a ring on the stalk...it is independent from the other light switch (off, on, auto)...so you need a new stalk that has that
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 PM

I have a question. I own a 2001 maxima that I believe never had any sort of fog lights installed. It just has some gray vents in place of where the fog lights would be. Am I correct in assuming that there is already wiring behind the vents for NON-HID foglights that I could plug my new foglights right into?

If so, what would you guys recommend to me as the best foglight bulbs for the money, i'm not looking to spend too much or else I would purchase the HID kit upgrade. I'd appreciate a cleat whitish look, with maybe some added color, but I don't want to have to change my bulbs in less than a year...cough silverstar ultras cough...

Thanks
You have factory wiring behind the bumper inserts. You will have to just get the lights themselves, and the new switch handle.

Stock fogs are the cleanest look.

WHOOAOAOAO, I must have bene on page 157 and not the current page. Sorry Sooner, didn't see any responses because I was on the wrong page......

Last edited by VQP0WER; 06-19-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
You have factory wiring behind the bumper inserts. You will have to just get the lights themselves, and the new switch handle.

Stock fogs are the cleanest look.

WHOOAOAOAO, I must have bene on page 157 and not the current page. Sorry Sooner, didn't see any responses because I was on the wrong page......
what if i already have the foglight housings themselves, and thats it...

where would I find just the stalk upgrade and how would I install it? or should i pay to have it professionally installed?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Cletus

what if i already have the foglight housings themselves, and thats it...

where would I find just the stalk upgrade and how would I install it? or should i pay to have it professionally installed?
http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruc...ghtkit_05.html
Old 06-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Guys,

I have a 2002 maxima, i took out my headlight bulb, and misplaced the SILVER CLIP that holds the bulb in place. Does anyone know how I can go about getting a replacement clip, I called the dealership, and they said the bulb clip is not available by itself, i would have to buy the whole assembly. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by omegaeny
Hey Guys,

I have a 2002 maxima, i took out my headlight bulb, and misplaced the SILVER CLIP that holds the bulb in place. Does anyone know how I can go about getting a replacement clip, I called the dealership, and they said the bulb clip is not available by itself, i would have to buy the whole assembly. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!
Junkyard maybe?
IF they have damaged headlights, i dont see the harm in taking the bulb retainer.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:30 PM

So I just bought my Maxima a week ago and both of the fogs are cracked plus the guy who owned it before me put some yellow Rock Blocker film over them which I don't really want anymore. Do I just need to get all new fogs (read somewhere on here where a guy had to bake the fogs to get the lenses off so I assume you can't just buy the lenses somewhere?) and where would I do that? Don't need a "kit" like the link above from courtesyparts... just the housings I suppose? Looked on eBay a bunch but there aren't any truly stock lenses (that say "NISSAN" on them). That kit with the stalk is the only thing I've seen that is truly stock. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:47 AM

what year is your maxima?
Old 06-21-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by majesticmaxima
what year is your maxima?
Old 06-21-2008, 08:06 PM

i didnt think the lenses themselves were replaceable. I could be wrong, mine are glass.
Baking the fogs wont get them open, you may be better off getting new ones altogether.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 PM

Strut Questions

This is to all the suspension gurus... I need front struts, and am looking for an upgrade from stock. Is it safe/practical to replace only the front struts with illuminas, leaving the rears stock? Also, I've done some research, and haven't come across anybody with illumina struts and stock springs. Is that a good combo to run?
Old 06-21-2008, 08:17 PM

Okay, I have a very noobish question.

I have been researching Y-pipes, different brands/pricing for my '01 Maxima 20AE.

A question that's been pegging me is that will I need an o2 simulator or something because I've eliminated the precat? If so, how does one work? How does one outline the installation of an o2 sim?

My car is non cali spec "YG5" is what it's referred to.

Thanks,

Moncef
Old 06-21-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Okay, I have a very noobish question.

I have been researching Y-pipes, different brands/pricing for my '01 Maxima 20AE.

A question that's been pegging me is that will I need an o2 simulator or something because I've eliminated the precat? If so, how does one work? How does one outline the installation of an o2 sim?

My car is non cali spec "YG5" is what it's referred to.

Thanks,

Moncef
no, you don't need an O2 simulator for a y-pipe replacement on your car.. i had a 2001 maxima and all the sensors plugged up fine when i replaced my y-pipe.. i don't remember if there's an O2 sensor in the precat or not, but if there is, then there will be a hole in the y-pipe where the stock 02 sensor should plug into
Old 06-21-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by majesticmaxima
i didnt think the lenses themselves were replaceable. I could be wrong, mine are glass.
Baking the fogs wont get them open, you may be better off getting new ones altogether.
Yeah, I didn't think so either and just kinda threw out the baking thing because I read about people baking the fogs to get the lenses off to install the Lexus yellow capsules. So... any hot tips as to where I could find stock fogs without the stalk and everything included in the courtesyparts "kit?"
Old 06-22-2008, 11:42 AM

Ok so my car has a rattle in all four wheels. The sound goes away when I press the brakes. It sounds like its gonna fall apart. I read on here that it could be the "anti rattle springs" or that I need a "brake disc hardware kit" after that the threads lead to a dead end, no answers or replies since like 2003! Help! I need an answer asap!

Last edited by atxking27; 06-22-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Cletus

Old 06-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry about the last post, I was making sure I was able to post.

I rear ended someone a week ago and I need a new license plate bracket (front plate law). Aside from going to the dealer, where can I get one? I tried posting a want to buy thread, but can't do that. If anyone can point me in a direction of a site or maybe make a WTB thread for me, that would be awesome. I don't need a failure to display ticket on top of a wreck. I have an 01 SE 20th anniversary edition if that matters.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:14 PM

Blue headlights and foglights

I've got a 2001 AE and I want my headlights and fog lights to have the same matching blue color. I've been to all the parts stores and all that have are those crappy "cool blue" bulbs. I tried a set of those on my motorcycle and from what I can tell..there is no blue tint at all.
So, does anyone know were I can get replacement "true blue" bulbs for both the headlights and the fogs?
Old 06-22-2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by 4DSCDriver
I've got a 2001 AE and I want my headlights and fog lights to have the same matching blue color. I've been to all the parts stores and all that have are those crappy "cool blue" bulbs. I tried a set of those on my motorcycle and from what I can tell..there is no blue tint at all.
So, does anyone know were I can get replacement "true blue" bulbs for both the headlights and the fogs?

ebay, not "true blue", but I have a nice and bright blue tint on them both.

Last edited by atxking27; 06-22-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:08 AM
wat

HID will do it.

It will still look gay though.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bmw330is
Sorry about the last post, I was making sure I was able to post.

I rear ended someone a week ago and I need a new license plate bracket (front plate law). Aside from going to the dealer, where can I get one? I tried posting a want to buy thread, but can't do that. If anyone can point me in a direction of a site or maybe make a WTB thread for me, that would be awesome. I don't need a failure to display ticket on top of a wreck. I have an 01 SE 20th anniversary edition if that matters.
Anyone? I have searched and can't find anyone with one for sale???
Old 06-23-2008, 06:12 AM

are the stock 02 precats for the REAR (which is the precat that sits behind the radiator) COMPATIBLE with my 01 maxima?

the reason i ask is because im getting the P0430, and i dont want to do an o2 sim...so i found a guy on the forums to sell me a used rear precat with 28k miles

and are the bung for bank 1 and bank 2 o2 sensors in the same place

thanx
Old 06-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
are the stock 02 precats for the REAR (which is the precat that sits behind the radiator) COMPATIBLE with my 01 maxima?

the reason i ask is because im getting the P0430, and i dont want to do an o2 sim...so i found a guy on the forums to sell me a used rear precat with 28k miles

and are the bung for bank 1 and bank 2 o2 sensors in the same place

thanx

00-01 precats are in the y-pipe
02-03 is in the exhaust manifold
Old 06-23-2008, 06:27 AM

wait? so both precats get eliminated (removed) if i install a Y-Pipe in MY 01?

also just to make sure im correct.....am i calling the part correctly what it is, in saying that the Precat closest to the radiator is the REAR precat?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by atxking27
Ok so my car has a rattle in all four wheels. The sound goes away when I press the brakes. It sounds like its gonna fall apart. I read on here that it could be the "anti rattle springs" or that I need a "brake disc hardware kit" after that the threads lead to a dead end, no answers or replies since like 2003! Help! I need an answer asap!

Anyone?
Old 06-23-2008, 05:57 PM

Anyone?
Dude, have you even taken a wheel off to inspect? Give is something to work with.....
Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 PM

Dude, have you even taken a wheel off to inspect? Give is something to work with.....
Ive taken the wheel off,"dude". Ive posted here and tried to revive another thread that no one gave an answer to since 2003 or so. I wouldnt be asking if i knew what it was. This is exactly why i refused to post when I first signed up. just forget about it. No one obviously knows about it. everyone on here would rather answer a question with a question than to just shut up and not answer or actually give a helpful answer.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 PM

You don't even bother telling us what you have already done, and no one wants to respond to a thread that was created 5 years ago.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
HID will do it.
It will still look gay though.
Yeah, HID might, but if you would have read my post, you would have noticed two things....

1. I was asking about a simple replacement bulb
2. I didin't ask if it would be gay or not

but hey, if you feel it necessary to impart useless answers just to get your number of posts up, feel free.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:21 PM

You don't even bother telling us what you have already done, and no one wants to respond to a thread that was created 5 years ago.
yeah no one will respond to a thread that was created five years ago but the minute someone posts a new thread with the same exact question five years ago with no answers there will be someone like you with no advice.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Cletus

yeah no one will respond to a thread that was created five years ago but the minute someone posts a new thread with the same exact question five years ago with no answers there will be someone like you with no advice.
this thread is for newbie to ask questions...even questions that have been answered before

being impolite to people that can help you, wont get you any answers. also, you need to provide us with all the information if you expect us to help. someone asked for the information that you should have provided and you got upset.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 PM

this thread is for newbie to ask questions...even questions that have been answered before

being impolite to people that can help you, wont get you any answers. also, you need to provide us with all the information if you expect us to help. someone asked for the information that you should have provided and you got upset.

ok. here goes. I bought the car 4 months ago. i noticed a slight rattle under the car during normal driving. I took it home and noticed it only went away during braking. it doesnt matter if its first thing in the morning or last thing at night when i park it or when im driving it. I can be going 10mph or 110 mph. it rattles, it goes away when i apply the brakes. It doesnt matter if the weather is raining, hot , humid, dry, windy, whatever. it rattles. its not the trunk because i dont have anything in there, its not the spare tire or the tire jack and tools because its only when i apply the brakes that it goes away. its not the heatshield like some people have mentioned. its not my exhaust i got under there to hit crap around the underbody when the guy was installing my flowmaster. i popped off all four tires to see if it could be the little shield back behind the caliper and nope its not. and thats where the witch hunt ended, i was on my way to drink so i never took off the calipers. it has gotten worse since my trip to Houston and back. I also seem to lose alot of brake fluid since ive had that car, the brake light has came on about 3 times in 4 months due to low brake fluid. aswell as an *** load of front brake dust. my wheels look gunmetal.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:04 PM

ok. here goes. I bought the car 4 months ago. i noticed a slight rattle under the car during normal driving. I took it home and noticed it only went away during braking. it doesnt matter if its first thing in the morning or last thing at night when i park it or when im driving it. I can be going 10mph or 110 mph. it rattles, it goes away when i apply the brakes. It doesnt matter if the weather is raining, hot , humid, dry, windy, whatever. it rattles. its not the trunk because i dont have anything in there, its not the spare tire or the tire jack and tools because its only when i apply the brakes that it goes away. its not the heatshield like some people have mentioned. its not my exhaust i got under there to hit crap around the underbody when the guy was installing my flowmaster. i popped off all four tires to see if it could be the little shield back behind the caliper and nope its not. and thats where the witch hunt ended, i was on my way to drink so i never took off the calipers. it has gotten worse since my trip to Houston and back. I also seem to lose alot of brake fluid since ive had that car, the brake light has came on about 3 times in 4 months due to low brake fluid. aswell as an *** load of front brake dust. my wheels look gunmetal.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:57 PM
wat

Yeah, HID might, but if you would have read my post, you would have noticed two things....

1. I was asking about a simple replacement bulb
2. I didin't ask if it would be gay or not

but hey, if you feel it necessary to impart useless answers just to get your number of posts up, feel free.

I'm not the idiot who wants blue lights also, I'm not answering a question regarding the lights, it does look retarded.

www.ebay.com? keyword "jdm"
Ask some fools in a riced out honda?

Is it really that hard?

Sounds like you already answered your own questions. Take off the calipers and take a look at your rotors, pads, shims, calipers, and caliper pins.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Cletus

blue lights are illegal
Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 AM

2003 TE 6spd HLSD, need fstb

Ok so I'm not a noob, but I just talked my buddy into buying a 5.5gen and I'm asking this noob question on his behalf... This should be a real easy one for any 5.5 HLSD owner with a fstb.

Which bars fit... ebay ok? Stillen's site says their bar doesn't work for HLSD cars but I have a hunch a few washer spacers could do the trick. Is stillen scaring folks for no reason?

Thanks for your help!

J
Old 06-24-2008, 09:19 AM

does this go for BOTH precats?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread