5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replaced ECM but I think something else is wrong.

Here is the story. I have one of those IACV - ECM problems. So I bought a new IACV and picked up an ECM from the junkyard (75 dollars vs. 600 dollars).

Replaced IACV and ECM, no big deal. After reconnecting negative terminal of battery, I can hear the IACV "whining", no key in the ignition. It continues to "whine" and I get scared and disconnect the battery. I plug back in the old ECM and no noise (expected).

My question is, Is my new ECM bad? Should I be able to hear the IACV "whine" after I reconnected battery with no key in the ignition?

Thanks guys, this forum has alway been tremendously helpful.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:20 PM

any other suggestions?
Old 08-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by brianstang1
Well to make a long story short, i few weeks ago the wifes car was missing when cold and had no power. Turned out to be the MAF sensor. Replaced it with a NAPA peice and it rand great. The other day the SES light came on and Auto Zone said it was EGR. Well i read up on this great site here about how to clean the tube. I took the TB off and the tube was clogged so i took the EGR tube off and cleaned it. Replaced everything and started it back up and the SES light went off. BUT it now is missing at idle and if you put it in gear it misses really bad. You can rev the engine but it hesitates before it responds but revs good. I took it down the road and it will fly but it is missing like crazy at idle. Almost jerking while in gear. It is idleing around 600rpms. ANy help would be so great. I am so tired of this. I have torn it back down twice. It acts like a vacum leak but i didnt have any vacumn lines off.

Brian
Well this problem has disappeared but another has arisen. We were adjusting on the TPS and couldnt get it to quit missing, then all of a sudden on its own it idled up to normal and no miss. It was revving great too! then 5 minuted later i was holding it at 1500rmp and it started jumping to 1700 it took some bit more pedel to get it to actually rev higher. That sounds like a TPS prob but no matter where we put it it wont quit. Please help. I am so tired of this
Brian
Old 08-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

FIXED IT!!

Found the factory voltage setting for the TPS and all is good.

Brian
Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 AM

Front led blinkers

Will The Switchback 20 LED Combination Amber and White LED Tower Bulbs work on the 5 gen and 5.5gen maxma from www.autolumination.com
Old 08-11-2008, 12:09 PM

Hanging Groundwire

I have a wire hanging underneath my 2000 I30 on the driver side near the first muffler. It is a flat mesh wire bolted to the body so I'm thinking it's a ground but the other end is ripped out. Anybody know what it is or where it should lead to?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 PM

oh man...i was bleeding brake and i was doing the pumping, my friend thought the power steering cap is the brake one, so anyway, now the brake resevior is empty and i can't get the fluid go into the pump. (air got in now..) what should i do? thx
Old 08-11-2008, 01:19 PM

nvm problem solved, i guess i supposed to do it with car turned on so the pump will pump new fluid to the brake?..XD all done

Originally Posted by Bl_asd1
oh man...i was bleeding brake and i was doing the pumping, my friend thought the power steering cap is the brake one, so anyway, now the brake resevior is empty and i can't get the fluid go into the pump. (air got in now..) what should i do? thx
Old 08-12-2008, 05:18 AM

lost low-beam headlights

I lost the low-beam headlights on my 20th AE Maxima last night. The high-beams work fine. The other interesting thing is that when the low-beams went out, I also got at least 2 warning lights on the dash for seemingly unrelated things, one of them being ABS and I can't remember the other. When I turned on the high-beams, the warning lights went away. I'm leaning towards the multi-function switch that controls the lights of maybe something with the tilt steering wheel, but I'm looking for any suggestions.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Starting Problem

Hey guys.. I've got one for ya. I've got a 01 Max SE, Automatic Transmission, 103K. Never had any problems out of it. The other day my wife was driving - she pulls up to our drive, and tries to turn the car off before she puts it in park. I guess she's used to driving a standard. Needless to say, the car doesn't turn off, she puts it in park and then shuts it down, no problem. She says this has happend to her two or three times. We go inside, come back out an hour later - it's been raining - and I try to start the car. All the lights that normally flash during startup appear, the radio turns on, ac, lights etc but when i put the key all the way to start all I get is a clicky sound. CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK...over and over real fast. So, I try it several times and nothing happens. What the heck? It appears the battery is good - all electronic systems work fine, and I tried putting it in neutral to start it and cycling it through the gears several times and putting it securely back into park, but it just keeps doing the same clicky thing and not starting. I've checked all the fuses I can find too - they're all good. Can someone give me an idea of what this could be? I'm stumped -

Also, the SES light has been off and on for about a year. I took it to get it checked out and Autozone says it's one of the O2 sensors. I haven't seen any loss in gas mileage so I haven't changed it out yet.

THANKS!

Last edited by benm_130; 08-12-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Thought of something else.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by benm_130
Hey guys.. I've got one for ya. I've got a 01 Max SE, Automatic Transmission, 103K. Never had any problems out of it. The other day my wife was driving - she pulls up to our drive, and tries to turn the car off before she puts it in park. I guess she's used to driving a standard. Needless to say, the car doesn't turn off, she puts it in park and then shuts it down, no problem. She says this has happend to her two or three times. We go inside, come back out an hour later - it's been raining - and I try to start the car. All the lights that normally flash during startup appear, the radio turns on, ac, lights etc but when i put the key all the way to start all I get is a clicky sound. CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK...over and over real fast. So, I try it several times and nothing happens. What the heck? It appears the battery is good - all electronic systems work fine, and I tried putting it in neutral to start it and cycling it through the gears several times and putting it securely back into park, but it just keeps doing the same clicky thing and not starting. I've checked all the fuses I can find too - they're all good. Can someone give me an idea of what this could be? I'm stumped -

Also, the SES light has been off and on for about a year. I took it to get it checked out and Autozone says it's one of the O2 sensors. I haven't seen any loss in gas mileage so I haven't changed it out yet.

THANKS!
Neutral safety switch possibly? This is assuming you checked your battery and starter?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:55 PM

hi --- i have a question... and its really hard to ask .. or to explain ! but let me try ..
... i hav .. 02 maxima it has ... 138 miles on it .. i know quite a bit abt car but i guess it wasnt enough. i felt my car was eating alot gas ... after opeing the hood to change the plug. i found valve cover gasket leak .. so replaced front and back valve cover gasket and plugs .. Plus .. i clean my TB .. which was a mistke .. i open the TB and open spry the whole thing .. put everything back on .. my ideal went up above 1000rpm oh god .. check egine light came on couldnt deal with it .. so took it to the dealer .. and they give me code .. .PO507 PO223 PO123 P1800 and quote me with $1400 guys i fall from the sky .. poor me what els could be done i agree to do the job .. it was .. replacesd TB chamber Assembly .. MAF sensor and Vias Sensor. REcalibrated ECM .. i have no idea abt these last 2 . ok now back on road no check engine light on .. but i feel something is not useuall .. the car runs fine .. when my foot at the gas paddel but when i step on break .. the rpm should go all the way down right .. but its seem like its going going down and bhoom jump up a little and then gose down .. i didnt notice that b4 i mess around with the car .im sure its not normal .. why the rmp will jump up a lil when ur foot on the break right ? so plz tell me what should i do now and what can be the problem .. by the way talking my car back to .. dealer tomorrow but still will like to know so plz help me knowing!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:57 PM

ummm one of the forum member . he had the same problem he end up replaceing the ECM ... i order a brand new ECM and put that on .. still the rpm .. act the same ways . guys any idea .. or anything that u guys can help me with?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Dae
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi all,

I have a question regarding 2003 maxima and headlight wiring. I had my light stolen few years ago and I had them replaced with one of those custom halo headlights on ebay. I worked on the wiring with my friend and we couldn't get the highbeams to work while leaving the regular lights to work properly. So we just left the high beam unwired. I recently failed my inspection as a result and I was just wondering what I should do. Is it possible for me to get it rewired by a professional, or is there any instruction for me follow and rewire it somehow? Thank you so much for your attention guys!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:42 PM

you allready tried .. its better u do it by a professional !good luck!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Neutral safety switch possibly? This is assuming you checked your battery and starter?

Well I thought that too, but I read that if the NSS is bad then you can put it in neutral and it will start. I tried that and it still wouldn't crank, so... Does anyone know how to check the NSS for sure?

Also, how can I check the starter w/o having the car towed to a shop?

Last edited by benm_130; 08-13-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by gateway_sc
I lost the low-beam headlights on my 20th AE Maxima last night. The high-beams work fine. The other interesting thing is that when the low-beams went out, I also got at least 2 warning lights on the dash for seemingly unrelated things, one of them being ABS and I can't remember the other. When I turned on the high-beams, the warning lights went away. I'm leaning towards the multi-function switch that controls the lights of maybe something with the tilt steering wheel, but I'm looking for any suggestions.
Just a followup to my issue. I checked all of the fuses last night and the only bad fuse was the ALT.S. I read that usually means that the alternator needs to be replaced. Any other causes for the ALT.S fuse to blow?
Old 08-14-2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by teefs
i have a 5th gen maxima and it has problems with a few things. i am trying to make a thread but it says i do not have privlages lol.
Then post your probelms in here. You can't start a thread until you have 15 posts on the forum. If you do some searching and reading, you are more than likely to find an answer to your question.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

this is my first post on this site
i just bought an 00 maxima today and i have the non bose sterio but it still has the cd player
i put a burnt cd that i made in the player it played but didnt have sound
then i put a reg cd in and it worked
are there any special cds that i can get so i can listen to burnt cds?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:15 AM

I just bought an 01 Max SE two days ago and have been lurking the forums since I decided on the Max a couple weeks ago. I must say that in the last two days I have fallen in love......

My question is, since I can't make a thread about it yet (which is probably a good thing considering the question). Which companies should I go through to get intake and y-pipe back exhaust, but purely for gas mileage, whether it helps performance or not. Once I get out of college I can worry about performance.

Would a short ram intake(Berk probably), Cattman complete y-pipe to muffler tip exhaust system, new MAF(not sure which would be best) be enough to boost my mileage? Or should I go CAI?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by PhalC1
I just bought an 01 Max SE two days ago and have been lurking the forums since I decided on the Max a couple weeks ago. I must say that in the last two days I have fallen in love......

My question is, since I can't make a thread about it yet (which is probably a good thing considering the question). Which companies should I go through to get intake and y-pipe back exhaust, but purely for gas mileage, whether it helps performance or not. Once I get out of college I can worry about performance.

Would a short ram intake(Berk probably), Cattman complete y-pipe to muffler tip exhaust system, new MAF(not sure which would be best) be enough to boost my mileage? Or should I go CAI?
Lightweight wheels are the only item I've ever noticed to improve MPG. Keep up the maintenance and wait until you get out of college to start 'modding'.

Originally Posted by d.sull
If my MAF voltage readings are correct, could the MAF still be bad. I back probed it today and found all the voltage readings were right. Car still hesitates when accelerating and cuts in and out around 3000rpms. Couldnt be the O2 sensor could it? Thanks guys.
The O2 sensor whouldn't cause those problems. I would start suspecting the coils.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 08-15-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:05 PM

hello all,

my service engine light came on today (after very heavy rain, don't know if it's linked). i plugged in the equus 3030 to see what code but it didn't give a code, just 0 and blinking lights for the following monitors "C" "EV" "O" "OH" "E". They correspond to catalyst monitor, evaporative system monitor, oxygen sensor monitor, oxygen sensor heater monitor, and exhaust gas recirculation montior. should i be worried/does anyone know what is wrong?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:30 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by sheabny
hi --- i have a question... and its really hard to ask .. or to explain ! but let me try ..
... i hav .. 02 maxima it has ... 138 miles on it .. i know quite a bit abt car but i guess it wasnt enough. i felt my car was eating alot gas ... after opeing the hood to change the plug. i found valve cover gasket leak .. so replaced front and back valve cover gasket and plugs .. Plus .. i clean my TB .. which was a mistke .. i open the TB and open spry the whole thing .. put everything back on .. my ideal went up above 1000rpm oh god .. check egine light came on couldnt deal with it .. so took it to the dealer .. and they give me code .. .PO507 PO223 PO123 P1800 and quote me with $1400 guys i fall from the sky .. poor me what els could be done i agree to do the job .. it was .. replacesd TB chamber Assembly .. MAF sensor and Vias Sensor. REcalibrated ECM .. i have no idea abt these last 2 . ok now back on road no check engine light on .. but i feel something is not useuall .. the car runs fine .. when my foot at the gas paddel but when i step on break .. the rpm should go all the way down right .. but its seem like its going going down and bhoom jump up a little and then gose down .. i didnt notice that b4 i mess around with the car .im sure its not normal .. why the rmp will jump up a lil when ur foot on the break right ? so plz tell me what should i do now and what can be the problem .. by the way talking my car back to .. dealer tomorrow but still will like to know so plz help me knowing!
Using "..." every few words makes your post really hard to read.

Rule #1 with a 5.5 gen, don't clean the throttle body. There is a huge thread about it (type throttle body cleaning) into search and you should get all the troubleshooting steps and answers you need.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:31 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by squiggy2469
I have a wire hanging underneath my 2000 I30 on the driver side near the first muffler. It is a flat mesh wire bolted to the body so I'm thinking it's a ground but the other end is ripped out. Anybody know what it is or where it should lead to?
I believe the ground wire is for the catalytic converter.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Using "..." every few words makes your post really hard to read.

Rule #1 with a 5.5 gen, don't clean the throttle body. There is a huge thread about it (type throttle body cleaning) into search and you should get all the troubleshooting steps and answers you need.
Learn the IAVL reset and do it whenever you get the chance, it will finally reset. I've cleaned mine a few times and always get the idle back and get rid of those codes.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:36 PM

Hi guys i just got a maxima. its a 2000 and its stick. it has a starting problem, and i think its something minor. car only has 65k miles on it. There is a hose that was diconnected completely. i figured out where one end of it goes, but i cant figure out where the other end goes. here are two pics of the open end and connected end of the hose. where does this connect to? and could it be the reason why my car wont start right?

[img=http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7505/img1948ua6.th.jpg]

also, i attached links of videos of my car starting. it never actuaoly starts right. sometimes it cranks and cranks but nothing happens, and sometimes it knocks really bad till it starts. but when it starts it runs beautifully. what can the problem be! its really embarrasing havign to start my car infront of people. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v9gtPUaK_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRv4zLtZR9M

thanks guys!
anyone find a solution to my problem?
Old 08-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
+1 on the neutral safety switch. Try disconnecting your battery and reconnecting. That may work.....maybe. If not, then get the neutral safety switch checked out.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by walhalla
hello all,

my service engine light came on today (after very heavy rain, don't know if it's linked). i plugged in the equus 3030 to see what code but it didn't give a code, just 0 and blinking lights for the following monitors "C" "EV" "O" "OH" "E". They correspond to catalyst monitor, evaporative system monitor, oxygen sensor monitor, oxygen sensor heater monitor, and exhaust gas recirculation montior. should i be worried/does anyone know what is wrong?

today only catalyst monitor, oxygen sensor monitor, and evaporative system monitor didnt finish diagnostic test. what do you guys recommend i do?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:01 PM

I have an 04 max, how do I tell if it has halogen or xenon bulbs?
Old 08-16-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Motorhead52
I have an 04 max, how do I tell if it has halogen or xenon bulbs?
You post it in the 6th Gen forums....
Old 08-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a 00 maxima like i said before
i got one other question
my back windows seem to have a child safety on them or something and they go down like half way, is it possible to make them go further down, if not all the way?
and make all the windows fast too?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

peace
now that, thats done
can someone answer some of my questions
Old 08-17-2008, 10:43 AM

Car smells like Old Lady

The interior of my car smells bad. I bought it from a little old lady, and it smells like, well, little old lady!

I have done everything I can think of to alleviate the smell: replaced in-cabin filter, shampooed floor mats, vacuumed floor mats, wiped down leather seats with Lexol, bought an air freshener for underneath the seat, and sprayed Ozium (a hospital-grade odor neutralizer) all over the interior.

Help! The smell won't go away. What else can I do?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by evalyn
The interior of my car smells bad. I bought it from a little old lady, and it smells like, well, little old lady!

I have done everything I can think of to alleviate the smell: replaced in-cabin filter, shampooed floor mats, vacuumed floor mats, wiped down leather seats with Lexol, bought an air freshener for underneath the seat, and sprayed Ozium (a hospital-grade odor neutralizer) all over the interior.

Help! The smell won't go away. What else can I do?
pour a generous amount of baking soda on the floor, under the seats and just about anywhere you can reach. vacuum it after 1-2 days. pour more baking soda, wait...keep doing it until you notice it getting better. also use an air freshener that clicks to the AC vents so that the air circulates. one of my friends puked in my car and the smell was just unbearable. this did the trick, 1 month later i smell nothing but clean air(with a hint of air freshener).
Old 08-17-2008, 02:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by schratxs20
i got one other question
my back windows seem to have a child safety on them or something and they go down like half way, is it possible to make them go further down, if not all the way?
No, there is no way for that to happen/occur. Live with it.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what about the cd ordeal?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i dont know how to find what i am lookin for i need step to replace the iac on my 5th gen max
Old 08-17-2008, 06:01 PM
2003 Nisan Maxima

sorry to interrupt ladies, anyone know where i can buy a magnoflow 40/60 series muffler? checked ebay and a few sites.....
Old 08-17-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by schratxs20
i got one other question
It's not a child safety thing. Look carefully at you car from the side. The way the rear doors are designed, the window cannot fully extend into the doorframe. This is due to the curvature from the wheel well.

To make your windows roll down faster, roll them down and apply silicon spray to the window track. Roll them up and down, up and down--until you start to see them pick up speed. I timed my windows with a stopwatch, pre- and post- silicon spray, and they were significantly faster afterwards.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

holy cow you actually timed them ahaha
thanks alot man im def gunna try this

how bout the cd player...do any type of cds work?...cause when i put my burnt cd in it played but no sound....a real cd worked

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread