5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:47 PM

Okay i took some better pictures(just got a new phone camera is niiicee)

These were taken after a little modding to get the trunk to at least latch so i can drive it without it flapping in the wind

Old 08-29-2008, 12:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

It's worse than mine, so... get a professional quote and take it from there. That's quite horrid.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Pretty vague, so very difficult to answer. If I were you, I would do some heavy reading in the Suspension forum.
thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 07:48 AM

It's worse than mine, so... get a professional quote and take it from there. That's quite horrid.
yeah i kno that bastard hit me pretty hard. Its deceiving when the trunk is closed. It looks as if its just a dented bumper but once the lid is open you know theres a lot of work to be done. My thought was if i put a new bumper on it might hide the damage so I can still pass inspection. I dont know if it would be able to hang a bumper streight still though.

btw when can i make a thread of my own? I feel like more people would look at this if it was its own thread.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow
Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can anyone tell me if the Greddy Evo2 cat-back is compatible with 02 GLE models or SE only?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:44 AM
wat

Originally Posted by Dat Ethi
Can anyone tell me if the Greddy Evo2 cat-back is compatible with 02 GLE models or SE only?
it is compatible with any 2000-2003 maximas
Old 08-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks man. My entire exhuast from the cat is rusted and has broken on me. So i'm in the market for a cat-back system. I was kinda skeptical about the Megan Racing exhaust. Looking for a better brand.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:05 AM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Originally Posted by Orgullo
I've got a feature that the car will automatically lock when you start it. How can I cut this feature off.

Also, I tried programming my key fobs and did a search. I get the light to blink but my fobs aren't picking it up. I know that the batteries are good. Am I suppose to hold down the lock button or what?

Thanks

N E 1 have an idea? Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 02:07 PM

How much for your tail lights?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Orgullo
N E 1 have an idea? Thanks
What alarm do you have? I'm sure there is a relay that needs to be removed.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Ok, got a noob question:

Finally decided to get HIDs (moving out of NYC, so need some better lighting) and since I'm a complete noob in this department, I don't even know what I'm searching for.

So a few questions:

1. If I simply want something that will light up the road better than my stock headlights, reliably (without worrying about blown bulbs, etc...) and something that is easy to install, will 5.5 headlights do the trick?

2. Everyone seems to talk about those "HID kits" What are they, do they include everything I need for quality light output from a 5.0 gen?

3. Anything I should be aware off before choosing HIDs for "functional" purposes?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:06 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by gofastermax
Hey looking for suggestions just picked up my 03 maxima 3 weeks ago or so... looking to get some mods done within this month(sept) I have about 3 grand to play with i am looking to do cattman headers nismo intake and not sure what exhaust to run. So in the end i am asking for help on finding a really good exhaust to run and any other performance parts to pick up. And last thing has anyone got the ecu flash from technosquare and how is it working out. Thanx for the help!!!!!!
Do some more reading.

1.) Nismo does not make intakes for the A33B.
2.) Unless your car is making more than 247whp, you don't need an aftermarket cat-back
3.) The TS ECU has been proven to provide gains and has been data logged to show altered parameters, but other items can do the same as well.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do some more reading.

1.) Nismo does not make intakes for the A33B.
2.) Unless your car is making more than 247whp, you don't need an aftermarket cat-back
3.) The TS ECU has been proven to provide gains and has been data logged to show altered parameters, but other items can do the same as well.
OK So make that stillen intake then... thats why i was asking for suggestions... but back to the point to someone with the TS ECU what are your feelings on the product and once again what cat-back exhaust should i go with on a 03 6spd maxima...(just so you all know the car i had before this was a 05 stage 2 Sti) had it for 2 yrs but the payments were killing me and not to mention the insurance but i am planning on turbocharging the max also got some info from 1swtmax on his turbo 02 set up. and seams like this is the direction i am gonna go in...So what is the catback exhaust of choice for the 03 max. Once again (again) i have 3 grand to work with for right now jut wanna get some of the basics done any help ??????THANX OH and uhhh are there any performance shops in the Maryland area if anyone knows of any.

Last edited by gofastermax; 08-29-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Ok, got a noob question:

Finally decided to get HIDs (moving out of NYC, so need some better lighting) and since I'm a complete noob in this department, I don't even know what I'm searching for.

So a few questions:

1. If I simply want something that will light up the road better than my stock headlights, reliably (without worrying about blown bulbs, etc...) and something that is easy to install, will 5.5 headlights do the trick?

2. Everyone seems to talk about those "HID kits" What are they, do they include everything I need for quality light output from a 5.0 gen?

3. Anything I should be aware off before choosing HIDs for "functional" purposes?

Thanks in advance!
You can use the 5.5 headlights but I think you will need the bumper to make it fit properly as for HID kits it's real easy to do the only difficult thing I found was soldering which isn't need you can just use butt connectors all the wiring you need to do is splice the balast power wire into the factory harness real simple. Not sure if its the same for headlights but that's how I did my fogs. Here is a link to where I got em from real cheap + lifetime warenty so no worries. Good luck you're gonna love the HIDs
http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html
Here is a link to my lights the pics are at the botom of the post
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...3-hid-kit.html
I just did the fogs as I allready have factory HIDs but I did order matching 6000k d2r bulbs from the same place real good place to do buisness with great customer service.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Thanks for the info! I heard that 5.5 gen headlights do not fit perfectly, but I heard it's close enough. Gotta look at some pictures to confirm this, I hope there won't be a half of an inch gap.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:15 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

I've got a viper alarm with remote start. I just want to turn that (^@$# feature off the car that automatically locks the doors when the car is started.

Also, I've been trying program the two key fobs. I searched and it tells you to insert the key 5-7 times until the lights flash and then press the unlock button. I did this but nada!

Could someone please hit me up with the correct programing. I'll have to do some more digging on the locking feature.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello all, from Northeast PA.

I have a 2000 Maxima. What appeared to be a burned-out headlight has been found to be a disintegrated headlight connector, or "pigtail". I have about 15 hours logged to this task so far of finding a replacement.

Nissan only has the entire harness (1300$)
Autozone/etc don't have one that will fit.
That leaves junkyards, and brother, I have walked and surfed them all around here.

I FINALLY thought I found one, a guy in SC swore he did. After I paid, 10 days go by and no part...I called yesterday and the jackass said he didn't have one and forgot to call.

My car is getting inspected this Saturday (9/6). I now have wasted the last 10 days because of above, and find myself in frantic mode.

Does anyone have any ideas? Some secret SuperMaxima parts stores that specialize in left headlight connectors or something? My ninja-google skills have left me high and dry.

I would be thrilled to give someone a finder's fee that can hook me up with the right part or point me to it. I'd double it if they can have it to me by 9/5/08.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

just hooked up my pioneer HU, amp and subs, but for some reason my amp isnt coming on? Do I have to unhook the factory amp or bypass it or something?
Old 08-30-2008, 06:29 PM
SHIFT_In2D

I do believe you have to take off the factory amp.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Jess
I do believe you have to take off the factory amp.
Take it completely off or just unhook it? I unhooked the harness and that just cut out all the music altogether.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy
Hello all, from Northeast PA.

I have a 2000 Maxima. What appeared to be a burned-out headlight has been found to be a disintegrated headlight connector, or "pigtail". I have about 15 hours logged to this task so far of finding a replacement.

Nissan only has the entire harness (1300$)
Autozone/etc don't have one that will fit.
That leaves junkyards, and brother, I have walked and surfed them all around here.

I FINALLY thought I found one, a guy in SC swore he did. After I paid, 10 days go by and no part...I called yesterday and the jackass said he didn't have one and forgot to call.

My car is getting inspected this Saturday (9/6). I now have wasted the last 10 days because of above, and find myself in frantic mode.

Does anyone have any ideas? Some secret SuperMaxima parts stores that specialize in left headlight connectors or something? My ninja-google skills have left me high and dry.

I would be thrilled to give someone a finder's fee that can hook me up with the right part or point me to it. I'd double it if they can have it to me by 9/5/08.

Thanks.
You should be able to find the connectors just about anywhere. I believe the 2000-2001 maximas take the 9004 bulb if im not mistaken. All you have to do is buy the connector and splice them and you should be on your way.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:52 PM

^^^^^ Let me correct that, they use 9003/H4 Bulbs..here is an example of the harness..

Old 08-30-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by 9999
just hooked up my pioneer HU, amp and subs, but for some reason my amp isnt coming on? Do I have to unhook the factory amp or bypass it or something?
Did you run your blue cable from the amp to the power antenna cable of the HU? If you did this, and still doesn't work, I woud look at your power cables and ground.

Your factory amp has nothing to do with your new sub/amp.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 03VQMAX
^^^^^ Let me correct that, they use 9003/H4 Bulbs..here is an example of the harness..
Yes, I've found those, but my connector has a ?rubber? backing to serve as a moisture barrier I presume. If I spliced that above connector, there would be huge gaps around the socket portion...and I'm not sure if they would even seat properly as there is no "squeeze" portion to lock it into the headlamp housing.

Thusly, the first rain or humid day would allow moisture to contact the bulb.

Thanks for the input though.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:49 PM

I have two tires with good tread, and two with tread that's just OK. Where should I put the tires with the best tread?
Old 08-30-2008, 07:50 PM

Yes, I've found those, but my connector has a ?rubber? backing to serve as a moisture barrier I presume. If I spliced that above connector, there would be huge gaps around the socket portion...and I'm not sure if they would even seat properly as there is no "squeeze" portion to lock it into the headlamp housing.

Thusly, the first rain or humid day would allow moisture to contact the bulb.

Thanks for the input though.
oh yea, i forgot about that rubber piece, but it should sit properly.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by evalyn
I have two tires with good tread, and two with tread that's just OK. Where should I put the tires with the best tread?
id slap them on the front.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

These aren't my pics, but sort of illustrate the situation. Note the wires leading into the rubber cups, which house the socket and a locking mechanism that would serve to seat tightly against the engine side of the headlight housing. My rubber cup, on the socket side {towards bulb}, is completely fried, and you can liberate chunks with a small rub of the thumb.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:56 PM

These aren't my pics, but sort of illustrate the situation. Note the wires leading into the rubber cups, which house the socket and a locking mechanism that would serve to seat tightly against the engine side of the headlight housing. My rubber cup, on the socket side {towards bulb}, is completely fried, and you can liberate chunks with a small rub of the thumb.
oh ok, gotcha now
Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 PM
SHIFT_In2D

Take it completely off or just unhook it? I unhooked the harness and that just cut out all the music altogether.
I belive you need to take off the amp completely if you changed out the speakers and have them connected to a seprate amp.

Just added on the new sub, hu, and amp and are running the stock speakers on the stock amp correct?

If so...

Did you connect the HU amp turn on wire?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

recommendation on rims

does anyone know where i can score some 2000 maxima se rims?

I live in long island. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 08-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Engine Rattle

Got a rattle coming from the right side of the engine bay. Can anyone help me figure out this rattle. I have a 2000 Maxima with about 102,000 miles on it. I friggin babied this car for the last 50,000 of its life (since I've owned it). I think it may be the timing chain... Help me out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF5exUDu1uQ
Old 08-31-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by phillymd00
Got a rattle coming from the right side of the engine bay. Can anyone help me figure out this rattle. I have a 2000 Maxima with about 102,000 miles on it. I friggin babied this car for the last 50,000 of its life (since I've owned it). I think it may be the timing chain... Help me out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF5exUDu1uQ
Yup, sounds like the timing chain. I bet it stops when the RPM increases?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, I've been thinking about buying some Maxspeed springs (Or Progress'?) and Tokico HP struts for my 03 Maxima SE as I read someone recommended it in this thread. Would there be anything wrong with this setup or anything I should be worried about?

Thanks.

Last edited by Zapple; 08-31-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Zapple
Hey guys, I've been thinking about buying some Maxspeed springs (Or Progress'?) and Tokico HP struts for my 03 Maxima SE as I read someone recommended it in this thread. Would there be anything wrong with this setup or anything I should be worried about?

Thanks.
Alot of reading in this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...on-thread.html
Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2001 Max that the previous owner converted to DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. Since reading this site it looks like that may have been a mistake. Does anybody know the correct procedure for going back to DOT4? I realize that it may not be much fun, but I would really like to go back.
Thanks much for any info.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Jess
I belive you need to take off the amp completely if you changed out the speakers and have them connected to a seprate amp.

Just added on the new sub, hu, and amp and are running the stock speakers on the stock amp correct?

If so...

Did you connect the HU amp turn on wire?
Yes, the stock amp is still connected to the stock sub and speakers, and my aftermarket HU is connected to my new amp and subs. The amp is getting power, the ground is fine, and the remote wire is fine too, yet its not powering my subs? What the hell?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 AM

Yes, the stock amp is still connected to the stock sub and speakers, and my aftermarket HU is connected to my new amp and subs. The amp is getting power, the ground is fine, and the remote wire is fine too, yet its not powering my subs? What the hell?
If you are getting power to the amp, then either your control wire is not connected properly, or you have not turned on the sub output in your HU.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Yup, sounds like the timing chain. I bet it stops when the RPM increases?
That's exactly what it does... Shizzle. I'm about to get hosed by the stealership. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread