5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 PM

Tokitos Blue or Illuminas

Need an advice.

I have Tein with KYB GR2, but the front of the car do not bounce. I think either the shocks blows or the weight of the car it’s too much for the KYB.

Tokitos Blue can hold the weight of the car o I better go with Illuminas?

Maxima 00

thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by latino73
Need an advice.

I have Tein with KYB GR2, but the front of the car do not bounce. I think either the shocks blows or the weight of the car it’s too much for the KYB.

Tokitos Blue can hold the weight of the car o I better go with Illuminas?

Maxima 00

thanks
Why do you want the car to bounce? If you want it to bounce, remove your suspension and put stock springs back in. GR2's are stock replacements. Tokito's are nice along with Illuminas.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

A/C compressor bypass belt

Hey I'm new to this whole thing ....... but I have a little problem with my a/c its stuck, frozen , kaput ...... & it cost way to much right now for a new one. Can anybody tell me if there is a bypass belt & what size & where I can get one. -Thanks-
Old 12-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oh yeah its a 2000 Maxima my fault
Old 12-08-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Why do you want the car to bounce? If you want it to bounce, remove your suspension and put stock springs back in. GR2's are stock replacements. Tokito's are nice along with Illuminas.
Taquitos are also a delicious frozen Mexican food product!
Old 12-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie here looking for some suggestions. I joined a bit ago after buying a 2000 Maxima GLE for the wifey. Well now it has the CEL on. My brother is a mechanic so he has a code reader so I took it to him. Hooked up the reader and there are no codes. He cleared it out and it stayed off for a couple days and then came back on. I had him look at it twice after the first one and every time it comes back with no codes. They do have a scanner his shop to hook up to it, but says that its going to be 100 bucks to just hook it up and thats not garanteeing the scanner will find anything either.

So my question is, has anyone had this issue before where maybe something is triggering the check engine light to come on but has no codes?

Thanks! Hope to visit here more often....for mods...not fixes! LOL
Old 12-09-2008, 06:14 AM

rallye26, I never had that issue before. In fact, this is he first time I hear about having the CEL on and not having any code stored. Not being sure what kind of scanner your brother has, you might want to stop at a local Autozone and ask them to hook up their scanner to see if they are able to pull any codes and then post back. Down here is a free service. Have pen and paper handy in case they don't give you a printout.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by 20Meridian03
2003, automatic
Possibly a TSB from 2002:
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-060.pdf
Old 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by jeffleck
Is there any way to provide power to the auxiliary power outlets when the car is turned off. In my previous car, I was able to move a fuse from one spot to another in order to allow power to continue to the outlets. I am wanting to continue to charge my phone when the engine is turned off. Any suggestions?
Don't know if this has been answered for you or not, but I did this to my wife's Max: I cut the hot wire and ran it straight to the battery, with an inline fuse, of course. The second option would be to tap into the continuous power for for the memory of your factory CD player, although I'm not sure which color it is.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 PM

I am sorry, so today I was drivind down route44 towards route 3 in ma and a 5.5 with hid heads and purple fogs was in front sorry I want to see want he had and cought up with I'm then went back and forth on route 3 and the kinda follow him to his house to see what he had so I asked he told I told back. Then on the way to my house which is only like 5 min form his I realized that it was very creepy of me so sorry to who ever it was don't even know if your on the org. But I deffinately will give you props on the max sounded and looked sweet.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:57 PM

So, did you have a question? Having purple/blue headlights just means a higher temp and way less visability. Looks rice too.

Originally Posted by tshay1
I am sorry, so today I was drivind down route44 towards route 3 in ma and a 5.5 with hid heads and purple fogs was in front sorry I want to see want he had and cought up with I'm then went back and forth on route 3 and the kinda follow him to his house to see what he had so I asked he told I told back. Then on the way to my house which is only like 5 min form his I realized that it was very creepy of me so sorry to who ever it was don't even know if your on the org. But I deffinately will give you props on the max sounded and looked sweet.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie here, excellent site btw. Anyway, I'm sure there are countless posts out there about changing the hvac lights in a 2000 maxima. So, can someone point me in the right direction? I'm wondering if there are hidden screws or clips I need to be concerned with breaking?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ulrich
Newbie here, excellent site btw. Anyway, I'm sure there are countless posts out there about changing the hvac lights in a 2000 maxima. So, can someone point me in the right direction? I'm wondering if there are hidden screws or clips I need to be concerned with breaking?
There was a nice write-up about replacing those bulbs that I found searching on this forum when I had to replace mine. The part number for them is 27545-1W600. Essentially, you'll have to remove the whole assembly that holds the radio and the climate control, separate the climate control from the bracket and remove a couple of tiny metal screws to expose the circuit board where the bulbs are located.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
There was a nice write-up about replacing those bulbs that I found searching on this forum when I had to replace mine. The part number for them is 27545-1W600. Essentially, you'll have to remove the whole assembly that holds the radio and the climate control, separate the climate control from the bracket and remove a couple of tiny metal screws to expose the circuit board where the bulbs are located.
Thanks,

I was also wondering if the cover for the HVAC and the Bose unit are one or two pieces. I'm not going to attempt to remove the fascia with out some plastic trim tools. Anyone got a link to that thread?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

WTF my car died on me yesterday for no reason the the rpms were slightly high the whole drive then when i got to my driveway i just died any reason why, it wont even start anymore any reason why? i cleaned the MAF cleaned my battery posts changed spark plugs whats the reason???? its a 2000 gle with 142k miles on it
Old 12-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

checked the fuses everything was good there and then i went to try it again and it worked this time wth? i think im gonna sell this weird car random ses lights and other problems.......... but i dont want too..................
Old 12-12-2008, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by tancythor
Are you sure it is a rotor feeling pulse or possibly and ABS pulse? Typically when ABS fails it just fails, however you already covered the most common cause in it being bad rotors. Another possibility would be the tire may be bad...where is the pulse coming from..the steering wheel or the brake pedal?
Brake Pedal, even at low speed. You know how when your rotor is warped and you can feel it rub and then not rub as you crawl up to a stop sign? It's like that. ABS is definitely good because it has been real icy here the last couple weeks.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 PM

Oil Drain Plug Washer

Hey guys,

Stupid question, very stupid, I mean, I'm an engineer and I'm ashamed of myself. Never did an oil drain but it sounds very easy. BUT I never seen a crush washer before either. SOOOOO what side is going to be touching the oil pan? Picture A or B? Please let me know so I can be 100% confident.

A)

B)

Much thanks to all those who help...
Old 12-13-2008, 06:46 AM
Cletus

PersianCzar,
pic A...but i dont think it really matters since its a crush ring
Old 12-13-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by sil07
WTF my car died on me yesterday for no reason the the rpms were slightly high the whole drive then when i got to my driveway i just died any reason why, it wont even start anymore any reason why? i cleaned the MAF cleaned my battery posts changed spark plugs whats the reason???? its a 2000 gle with 142k miles on it
Did you check any codes, is the CEL on?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
PersianCzar,
pic A...but i dont think it really matters since its a crush ring
Thanks for the fast reply. Just in time so I can do the change. I also thought it was A, just needed a confirm. Thanks again, wouldn't want a leak or anything.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Horrible, horrible, nails on chalkboard scraping from brakes - sometimes

I know what you're thinking. New brake pads, right?

One would think so, but I just put the car up and inspected the pads again to be sure. They are nearly new.

And the scraping is only sometimes. Not all the time. Coming from left front tire.

Any thoughts on what I should look for? These pads are only about a year old, and the rotors were replaced at the same time.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:01 AM

I'm trying to find out what years are the follow parts changeable with (for a 2000 SE 17"):

- Steering rack
- Front struts

From my quick research, it seems like the steering rack is different for 16" wheels and differ from year to year?

Also, it looks like the struts are the same for 00-03, regardless of trim (GXE, SE, GLE)? I thought SE has firmer suspension, or is it only the springs?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:30 AM

P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Does anyone know what is the possible cause of the code, and the solution? I tried searching the Forums, but could not find anything. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by showgun9
P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Does anyone know what is the possible cause of the code, and the solution? I tried searching the Forums, but could not find anything. Your help is greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure how you "tried searching". You should search instead, using the "search" link at very top of this page and entering "P0430" as your keyword. There's a ton of information regarding that code. Although it could be due to different situations, some say that the permanent solution is to replace the bank 2 pre-cat (the one closest to the radiator, assuming you have a Cali spec vehicle). I will agree with that statement when I replace mine if, in fact, does fix it.

Last edited by Nelsito65; 12-18-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Motorola T605 Harness for '01 with Bose

I'm contemplating a motorola bluetooth car kit for my '01 and I have searched this entire site, up and back, for a thread about wiring this thing into the factory bose stereo system. Best Buy (BuyMore!!) wants >$ 180 just to install! has anyone installed this type of system? I want to put it thru the stereo system because I can also stream music from my iphone with it too! the kit I have in mind is the Motorola T605. Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by seanleblanc
I know what you're thinking. New brake pads, right?

One would think so, but I just put the car up and inspected the pads again to be sure. They are nearly new.

And the scraping is only sometimes. Not all the time. Coming from left front tire.

Any thoughts on what I should look for? These pads are only about a year old, and the rotors were replaced at the same time.
Sometimes it happens to me, I found a small pebble or rock wedged between the rotor and the splash guard.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

bump

Originally Posted by jesuswon1
I'm contemplating a motorola bluetooth car kit for my '01 and I have searched this entire site, up and back, for a thread about wiring this thing into the factory bose stereo system. Best Buy (BuyMore!!) wants >$ 180 just to install! has anyone installed this type of system? I want to put it thru the stereo system because I can also stream music from my iphone with it too! the kit I have in mind is the Motorola T605. Any ideas would be helpful.

bump
Old 12-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can someone tell me the proper name for this part?

Where's the best place to buy one?

And is it easy to replace (for a non-mechanic)?

Thanks!!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Strange knocking noise...

I am driving a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE with a v6...

It does not "rattle" when idling in position but when I am driving and the rpms switch between 1700-2200 RPMS (I think about the time I shift gears) ... it rattles... and if I am staying roughly between those RPMS when driving, it makes that noise. I dont know what it is and I have taken it to 2 mechanics now and they cant find anything wrong.

I just dont know what it is... It only happens when I am in motion and between 1700-2200 RPMS. I am afraid it might be causing damage to my motor...

Can someone fill me in on what this noise could be from and how best to fix it?

Last edited by blackirishraven; 12-18-2008 at 03:52 AM. Reason: My grammer is not the best...
Old 12-17-2008, 08:29 AM

"TCS OFF" and "SLIP" lights came on!!!

I've had my '03 Maxima GLE for about 6 months now. Louisville was hit with bad weather last night and I was driving home from work on the interstate. Everyone was going about 45 mph because the roads were snowy/icy and all of a sudden my car just shuts off. TCS OFF, SLIP, OIL LIGHT, and BATTERY LIGHT all came on. Power steering locked up too! I had to pull over on the side of the road... had trouble starting the car back up. It was having trouble turning over. So these two lights, TCS OFF and SLIP remain on the rest of the drive home (about 15 mins). Car is driving a little different. Get home, check oil... it's OK. Not sure what else to check.

This morning, start car fine. Lights are off. Goto work. Pulling into work parking lot a car pulls in front of me out of nowhere and I brake suddenly. SAME THING, car shuts off. All these lights come on. What is going on here??? Does anybody know anything about a Maxima acting like this??? HEEEEELLLLP!
Old 12-17-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by rab5649
Can someone tell me the proper name for this part?

Where's the best place to buy one?

And is it easy to replace (for a non-mechanic)?

Thanks!!

It's called the "automatic transmission control device indicator assembly"

http://www.courtesyparts.com/96940y-...957_2024_2043&

You'll have to remove the shifter ****, the center console trim, and then there should be a few screws.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
It's called the "automatic transmission control device indicator assembly"

http://www.courtesyparts.com/96940y-...957_2024_2043&

You'll have to remove the shifter ****, the center console trim, and then there should be a few screws.
Thanks a lot. I think I might be able to do that!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie question

I thave a 5th gen w/std trans(5speed) after sitting with parking brake on sitting on a very slight incline anyway the parking brake now will not release the brake atlthough I can move the lever
can i just adjust it al the way down to get it to release

Thank you for your time and this easy access

DamnYankee
Old 12-18-2008, 08:59 AM

I just bought a 2002 SE and love it! My quesion deals with lighting. My car has the low beam HIDs but I was wondering something. You can get HID fog lights from what I understand but does anyone (or is it feasible) to do HID high beams?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DamnYankee
I thave a 5th gen w/std trans(5speed) after sitting with parking brake on sitting on a very slight incline anyway the parking brake now will not release the brake atlthough I can move the lever
can i just adjust it al the way down to get it to release

Thank you for your time and this easy access

DamnYankee
Are the rear brakes "sticking" and just release eventually or are they completely locked up even if the parking brake is released?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I cant release the e brake i think they will roll once I can release the brake
Old 12-19-2008, 09:42 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by DamnYankee
I cant release the e brake i think they will roll once I can release the brake
Push the lever w/ your thumb, pull the handle up as hard as you can (while keeping the lever pushed w/thumb), and gently lower the handle down.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:59 AM

i have try searching this but i am wondering if the de intake manifold can fit on the de-k? or can the de-k have direct port? i dont think it can becuase of the composite material just wanted someone more experienced than me to comment on this.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

Why would anyone handicap any VQ and put a DE manifold on it?

It'll fit, but why?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread