5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Why would anyone handicap any VQ and put a DE manifold on it?

It'll fit, but why?
To have retarded power...duh.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need a good suggestion for replacement fog lights

We have a 2002 Maxima GLE. The fog lights are both broken (glass lens and bulb). I've looked on ebay. We'd prefer that they bolt in like the originals. Even better if they could just plug right in, too. We don't need anything fancy--would prefer to stick w/ something similar to what was there (OEM).

Should I be looking somewhere besides ebay? I cruised this board a bit and found bunches of headlight sources but no one talks much about the fog lights (unless I'm using the search function wrong?).

What's a reasonable amt to expect to pay to replace both?

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by squash2j
We have a 2002 Maxima GLE. The fog lights are both broken (glass lens and bulb). I've looked on ebay. We'd prefer that they bolt in like the originals. Even better if they could just plug right in, too. We don't need anything fancy--would prefer to stick w/ something similar to what was there (OEM).

Should I be looking somewhere besides ebay? I cruised this board a bit and found bunches of headlight sources but no one talks much about the fog lights (unless I'm using the search function wrong?).

What's a reasonable amt to expect to pay to replace both?

Thanks!
Whats up man. I have seen replacement fog lights at other aftermarket stores online. I have seen the ones on Ebay, and they seem no good... Plus. its ebay stuff. I have a big list of aftermarket online stores, and I know that one of them has foglights. the pair, for about 75 bucks. And they are OEM like. I would go with those, if you are interested. I have a large number of links to these stores...
Old 12-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello, I have two questions regarding my 2000 Maxima sound system:

1) I want to replace the factory Bose stereo, and I'm aware that the Bose speakers need to be replaced as well. My question is whether or not the factory tweeters and subwoofer have to be replaced, or if they will work if I change the stereo and the 4 speakers on the doors.

2) My second question is regarding the subwoofer. It has an intermittent problem of going on and off, and I have narrowed the problem down to the relay switch on the amp's circuit board. Does anyone have any suggestions of how i can easily repair this, or an affordable place where I can go to get it fixed?

Thanks for your time.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK I got the ebrake to release but the wheels are still stuck from the rear?
Old 12-20-2008, 11:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

Lift the rear wheels up, and see if the turn. If not, remove wheel, and inspect the brakes. Check the ebrake cable to see if it is not stuck. See if the ebrake handle has some play / tolerance in it.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:37 AM

Hey, Gotta question.. Whats the point of a grounding kit? Whats it do
Old 12-21-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ahmad_1290
Check the following link:
http://www.4grounding.com/techdata.htm
Old 12-21-2008, 09:10 AM

I'm actually planning on making my own kit.. Is there a write up that shows where all the wires go?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 AM

New Maxima

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the Max world, just got my first, a 2001 GXE. It's all stock and I wanna start the modding it. Maybe with the help of you guys, I could turn my stock into a real head turner. What do you guys suggest I should start changing on it first?

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks alot all.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by WildJuice
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the Max world, just got my first, a 2001 GXE. It's all stock and I wanna start the modding it. Maybe with the help of you guys, I could turn my stock into a real head turner. What do you guys suggest I should start changing on it first?

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks alot all.
Wheel and tires (NO 20's!)

Suspension (springs/struts)

Tint

Spoiler

Debadge
Old 12-21-2008, 12:46 PM
wat

I'm actually planning on making my own kit.. Is there a write up that shows where all the wires go?
yes it is stickied, or you can just look at your engine bay and go by a generic writeup's instructions, (ie Transmission, Engine block, Starter, and so on...)
Old 12-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Wheel and tires (NO 20's!)

Suspension (springs/struts)

Tint

Spoiler

Debadge
Sounds good, what suspension (springs/struts) do you suggest will be perfect?

Also the cars color is sunlit sand, which is a color that is difficult to match with, what type of rims do suggest will be good?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2008, 06:35 PM
wat

Originally Posted by WildJuice
Sounds good, what suspension (springs/struts) do you suggest will be perfect?

Also the cars color is sunlit sand, which is a color that is difficult to match with, what type of rims do suggest will be good?

Thanks
Not black wheels, white/silver look good. Bronze possibly, i thought about painting my wheels bronze. Just too lazy to mess with the maxima latley.

Illumina struts/eibach springs Is one of the better setups that upgrades handling and has a nice even drop.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by DamnYankee
OK I got the ebrake to release but the wheels are still stuck from the rear?
That happened to me as well.... Its because of the winter, During these cold times avoid as much as possible using your ebrake, because they will freeze if your caplier is not in great condition, and especially ..... if you have any moisture down your ebrake line. What fixed mine.... a new caliper on the left rear side. If both of yours are stuck, than you definatly have a problem with your lines. One things that helps in these situations, is your local nissan dealership will reconfiqure your ebrake for about 40 dollars. defiantly not bad.... Try that, than if that doesnt work.... find out which side its happening. If only one, than most likely a bad caliper....
Old 12-22-2008, 02:23 PM

Hyperground Links

There are a ton of threads on here about hyperground,the average member would reply with search, but that is what this thread is for, and I am down to share my own findings for a fellow org'r.
I myself worked of Irish44js Hyperground thread, and loved it. Turned out great. Here are several links to get you started. What you need: 6guage/awg of wire from Home depot. (about 20 feet, no more: and also available in 4 differnt colors) the same guage (awg) of 1/4 pin connectors(which you will not find at homedepot for an even reasonable price, you will find them at a local electrical supply shot) , you will also need some shrink wrap. These should get you started

how-to/pICTORIAL wRITE-UP: Irish44js - Hyperground how to- pics
(great write up)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/442543/16

HyperGrounding a 200 maxima. (large forum for hyperground)
READ SECTION NUMBER 24!!!large list of Hyperground points
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...00-maxima.html

HOW TO: HYPERground. Irish44j's. on maxima.org
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...k-low-end.html

HOW TO: HYPERGROUND, BAsic Ebay set-up(non-custom,not a good sugg.)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/24211/3

HOW TO: HYPER GROUND
http://cardomain.com/ride/442543/16

HOW TO: HYPERGROUND> go to thread a page down from cullenj76
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/56283

PICS of hyperground points.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/694281/4

Hyperground Forums
http://forums.maxima.org/oldthread.php?t=317734

http://forums.maxima.org/oldthread.php?t=318415

Maxima.org's memeber. what he did for hyperground...(added one by his ecu)
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...und-wires.html

HyperGrounding a maxima. (large forum for hyperground)
READ SECTION NUMBER 24...large list of where the ground pointS are.
sPECIFIC dETAILS ON hYPERGROUNDING........ WIRE LENGTHS, WHERE TO.. ETc..
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...00-maxima.html

(pics) HYPERGROUNDING POINTS> Thread with them included..Alot of pics included
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ng-points.html

Anouther HyperGround Article. has one pic inlucded -picture of an engine bay.***
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...southwest.html

Picture of Alternator hyperground- http://spirilis.net/gallery/2000-Max-misc/dsc01245

`credit goes to Irish44js' write-up, and others who contributed there knowledge.

Last edited by AbSoLooT; 12-22-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 PM

Hyperground Informaiton

Here are some links containing information regarding hyperground. It is my favorite mod I have done so far. (no suspension or SC yet.. hehe) but the benefits I received are the same as you will see posted by others on the org.

*Brighter headlights, and fogs. (evened out really well)
*Faster start (really fast, half the time and I had installed a new hight end starter weeks before )
*smooooooth sounding and running engine (compared with anouther 00 I used to around with before, huge difference that happened after HG install)
*A Lot quieter engine.. (same as above)
* low end power (just a little, not noticed as much by myself and others as much as the benefits listed above, May be a biased observation.)

Everything you ever wanted to know about grounds.But never asked..
http://www.centechwire.com/info/archive/grounds.html

G35Driver. Hyperground FAQs- Big article on HYpergrond Systems...
http://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy/...er-ground.html

350z Forum on Hypergrounding
http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drive...nding-kit.html

Article on Hyperground
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testrepor...tem/index.html

Hyperground Forum: Contains alot of info..
http://www.houston-imports.com/forum...0&pagenumber=1

Good luck!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:19 PM

Doing that on a 3.5 is different right? I've seen pics of a grounding kit of a 5.5gen. The wires were much shorter
Old 12-22-2008, 03:23 PM

Doing that on a 3.5 is different right? I've seen pics of a grounding kit of a 5.5gen. The wires were much shorter
ON no, Very similar. When you look under your engine for the points, you will see them. Look at the links for the How-Tos. You will see several differnt people have 3.5s... the 3.0 and 3.5 are extremly similar in alot of aspects.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by AbSoLooT
ON no, Very similar. When you look under your engine for the points, you will see them. Look at the links for the How-Tos. You will see several differnt people have 3.5s... the 3.0 and 3.5 are extremly similar in alot of aspects.
Only bada$$ people have the 3.0 however.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 AM

i have a 2002 maxima 6 speed and I'm having serious power loss issues. If you punch it the car will misfire on multiple cylinders almost like its losing a couple cylinders or not getting enough fuel. If you ease into the gas that vq will rev to redline no problem. Its also throwing a couple codes P1168 and P0300 any ideas?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:49 AM

Only bada$$ people have the 3.0 however.
MOs def ..haha

Originally Posted by spoolinmax02
i have a 2002 maxima 6 speed and I'm having serious power loss issues. If you punch it the car will misfire on multiple cylinders almost like its losing a couple cylinders or not getting enough fuel. If you ease into the gas that vq will rev to redline no problem. Its also throwing a couple codes P1168 and P0300 any ideas?

P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P1168 - Closed Loop Control (Bank 2)
Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 PM

Hey i've gotta 02 Max. I was planning on buying headers, do i have to worry about the whole EGR thing?
Old 12-24-2008, 12:05 AM

ok hi all. just bought an 02' GLE tonight (pick up tomorrow) and i just wanted to try and find the best forum and after looking at about 4 others this appears to be the one with the most input. i had decided that i wanted a 02-03 with less that 100k and i gotta say it was a ***** finding one! i learned probably more than a man should about a single model of car and this is what i had come up with. it made shopping very difficult in the southeast. i had looked at every car in the area and had pretty much given up and had decided to buy a $2k beater to be able to continue shopping, but on my last run today to the sell your own lot, there it was! it even had my colors down (black on black.) 88K miles.

so, after taking it to the dealership for the mandatory check up, i offered and got it for $8150. from what i can tell, thats not a bargain, but not a bad deal either for exactly what i was looking for. this is by far the most i have ever spent on a car. the dealer came back with a list of problems. i had noticed an oil leak and that apparently is the oil cooler o-ring. the car also needs front brakes and rotors, a tie rod and back struts. there is a fog light out and the front lights are fogged over but i think i read on another thread that just needs a polishing. eveything else seems to be in top shape and its been really cold here and the car started right up. i drove it all day and got on it pretty good and it shifted through the gears really well and seemed to drive fine. it shook just a tiny bit, but i assume this is due to the tie rod and strut issues.

so, how did i do?

also, i plan on learning to take care of a lot of the mechanical issue myself with help from this forum i hope. it seems there is very much to be learned here. any up front advice would be appreciated.

anyways, ive had a couple beers to celebrate and dont want to ramble on. hope to not need you all too much, and thanks in advance for any help i get.

Last edited by insaner; 12-24-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

With all of those issues, I think you overpaid. I would have kept looking for a car that wasn't leaking oil, needed brakes, tie rods, struts or had cracked fog light housings. Sounds like a money-pit to me honestly.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey i've gotta 02 Max. I was planning on buying headers, do i have to worry about the whole EGR thing?
No, 2002s have no EGR ports on the exhaust manifolds/headers.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:02 AM

I have some problems with the leather on my driver's seat. Is there anyone on this forum who knows a lot about that?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
With all of those issues, I think you overpaid. I would have kept looking for a car that wasn't leaking oil, needed brakes, tie rods, struts or had cracked fog light housings. Sounds like a money-pit to me honestly.

after sleeping on it i have decided not to buy the car. i have found an 03' SE with 80k and all the options for 8k, second owner with no leaks etc. and have decided this is a much better car, except for the drive from alabama to louisville to get it. thanks for your advice.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

well im a new member and i cant start a new thread yet or something but i need help with my maxima i just got. its a 2002 and i went to get gas last night and after i got gas the car sputtered and jerked alot allowing me to barely get home which was only 3 miles away. i thought maybe moisture in the gas since it was raining out when i got gas so i got ISO HEET and put it in last night hoping it would start this morning. well it didnt start. it cranks but its like its not gettting gas. please any suggestions?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:29 AM

Anyone have an How to on Installing a grounding kit on a 5.5gen?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:02 PM

Anyone have an How to on Installing a grounding kit on a 5.5gen?
Dude, there at least a dozen links about grounding a few posts up, have you even looked at them?

how-to/pICTORIAL wRITE-UP: Irish44js - Hyperground how to- pics
(great write up)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/442543/16

HyperGrounding a 200 maxima. (large forum for hyperground)
READ SECTION NUMBER 24!!!large list of Hyperground points
Hyper Grounding a 2000 Maxima

HOW TO: HYPERground. Irish44j's. on maxima.org
Hyperground stage 1 done - welcome back, low-end..

HOW TO: HYPERGROUND, BAsic Ebay set-up(non-custom,not a good sugg.)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/24211/3

HOW TO: HYPER GROUND
http://cardomain.com/ride/442543/16

HOW TO: HYPERGROUND> go to thread a page down from cullenj76
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/56283

PICS of hyperground points.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/694281/4

Hyperground Forums
http://forums.maxima.org/oldthread.php?t=317734

http://forums.maxima.org/oldthread.php?t=318415

Maxima.org's memeber. what he did for hyperground...(added one by his ecu)
Made my own Hyper-Ground wires

HyperGrounding a maxima. (large forum for hyperground)
READ SECTION NUMBER 24...large list of where the ground pointS are.
sPECIFIC dETAILS ON hYPERGROUNDING........ WIRE LENGTHS, WHERE TO.. ETc..
Hyper Grounding a 2000 Maxima

(pics) HYPERGROUNDING POINTS> Thread with them included..Alot of pics included
HyperGrounding points.

Anouther HyperGround Article. has one pic inlucded -picture of an engine bay.***
Hyperground at Southwest?

Picture of Alternator hyperground- http://spirilis.net/gallery/2000-Max-misc/dsc01245

Everything you ever wanted to know about grounds.But never asked..
http://www.centechwire.com/info/archive/grounds.html

G35Driver. Hyperground FAQs- Big article on HYpergrond Systems...
http://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy/...er-ground.html

350z Forum on Hypergrounding
http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drive...nding-kit.html

Article on Hyperground
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testrepor...tem/index.html

Hyperground Forum: Contains alot of info..
http://www.houston-imports.com/forum...0&pagenumber=1
Old 12-24-2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rammer23
well im a new member and i cant start a new thread yet or something but i need help with my maxima i just got. its a 2002 and i went to get gas last night and after i got gas the car sputtered and jerked alot allowing me to barely get home which was only 3 miles away. i thought maybe moisture in the gas since it was raining out when i got gas so i got ISO HEET and put it in last night hoping it would start this morning. well it didnt start. it cranks but its like its not gettting gas. please any suggestions?
Did you put in diesel or E-85 by mistake?

If it happened right after filling up, I would expect you did the above, or that gas was contaminated.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:06 PM

i knew what the codes meant. I figured it out one of the brand new coils i bought from Nissan shorted itself out, now they wont cover the part because it wasn't installed at Nissan. Nissan dealerships are a joke.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by spoolinmax02
i knew what the codes meant. I figured it out one of the brand new coils i bought from Nissan shorted itself out, now they wont cover the part because it wasn't installed at Nissan. Nissan dealerships are a joke.
Most all dealerships won't warranty the part if they didn't install it, it's not just Nissan.

How did you short it out? Didn't you disconnect the battery before hand?
Old 12-25-2008, 07:03 PM

Searched around for awhile and am afraid of the answers I found, just want to confirm my fears. Just got done about two weeks ago replacing suspension all around, got HP Blues with Progress springs. Most of the time the ride is ok, but from time to time the rear will bounce like a freaking pogo stick.

From what I'm guessing, the spring rate doesn't match the shock rate right so that's why I'm having all these problems. I feel like an idiot. If this is the case, what type of lowering springs would be ok to pair with the blus? Thanks for your help.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:15 AM

Most all dealerships won't warranty the part if they didn't install it, it's not just Nissan.

How did you short it out? Didn't you disconnect the battery before hand?
It actually did it on its own i drove it for like 4 days ran like a dream then like a flip of a switch it started popping and back firing. Popped the hood and the coil was smoking!
Old 12-26-2008, 01:47 PM

01 Max Calipers...

Does anyone know where to find decent priced calipers? Please PM me.

and insight on Royal Purple products. thinking about switching all my fluids to that.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Berto210
01 Max Calipers...

Does anyone know where to find decent priced calipers? Please PM me.

and insight on Royal Purple products. thinking about switching all my fluids to that.

Thanks!!!

check autopartswarehouse.com, check rockauto.com

or just find a re manufactured one at autozone, or advanced auto....dont know much about royal purple....i sure a search would turn up something
Old 12-26-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
check autopartswarehouse.com, check rockauto.com

or just find a re manufactured one at autozone, or advanced auto....dont know much about royal purple....i sure a search would turn up something

THANKS!!! I will check out those sites...the new project for 2009...braking and suspension!!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Searched my symptoms for my 2000 max were it wouldn't start it would crank but wouldn't turn over and had a weird idle so i cleaned the MAF and the car worked better it would run then it stopped turning on again so my mechanic replaced the fuel pump and again it worked but soon started turning off while driving the vehicle if the rpms weren't above 600, but then agian sometimes it work just fine and not turn off at all sometimes(more often then it turning off), and though it was working it had a terrible idle but i thought that was because of the upper intake manifold gaskeT and cold weather, so what do you guys think bad MAf or IACV? it could rev over 3k rpm when it worked so is it the iacv?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread