5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey, i recently blew both tweeters (stock) in my 2000 maxima. Does anyone know how to replace them (removal of A frames?)

And what type of tweeters would you recomend to replace them with?

Thanks for your help
Old 03-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan3773
Hey, i recently blew both tweeters (stock) in my 2000 maxima. Does anyone know how to replace them (removal of A frames?)

And what type of tweeters would you recomend to replace them with?

Thanks for your help
Correct..A pillars are the correct term. Any aftermarket is better than those cheap A** paper cone tweeters.Search audio & video forums.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, hope I'm posting in the proper place so here goes: I just bought an '01 Maxima SE 5spd 20th Anniv. I pretty much think I found my problem by searching the forums & reading so many posts (yeah, got a little sidetracked once or twice) until my eyeballs are fuzzy & my brain is scrambled. Since what I believe to be my problem has already been covered in this thread

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...0k-03-max.html
(first post describes my symptoms exactly except pulling the clutch back up with my foot didn't help much)

My question is this - How much damage can I do if I drive it (provided I can force it into gear to do so) to my mechanic? I do admin. work for a German Auto Repair shop (should've listened when the owner dropped many a hint at buying a BMW but my budget just wouldn't allow for a nice one like I'd want) & they'll take care of whatever is wrong with it, I'm just worried about getting the darn thing there. Obviously, I'm a chick & wouldn't even attempt to look for a leak, an empty fluid reservoir (well, I could probably do THAT but wouldn't have the necessary fluid to add if it needed it), etc. Hubby is not auto-mechanically inclined & leaves for work at the crack of dawn (which will be fairly soon here). And even though my boss would probably offer to have it towed - he's done so much for me already I would feel obligated to pay the tow fee & I just don't have the cash at the moment.

I took the car to them the day I test drove it & they did a quick scan (not a full diagnostic scan I don't think) & drove it & found nothing wrong except for a cracked radiator (which the seller repaired with a new one & gave us a copy of the warranty) & an unplugged sensor of some sort-plugged it back in & off I went. Drove the car around for a couple of hours that day, then yesterday took Hubby to see & drive it, then I drove it some more - all with no problems - so we went back to the lot & plunked down $4000 cash for the car. And, yeah, it's got HIGH miles for an '01 - 165K. But, I LOVE this car, my 3rd Maxima (had an '87 and a '90 back when we were a 1 kid family), and I'll do whatever it takes to make it right - I just don't want to do further damage by driving it if I shouldn't.

Now, today, my beautiful baby is nothing more than a driveway ornament & I have to drive carpool in my nerdy little '07 Sentra - which I hate with a passion. Anyway, I've rambled on enough. In case my question got lost up there in all the mumbo jumbo - if my clutch is toast & I have to literally FORCE the car into gear am I going to do serious damage by trying to get it to my mechanic - about 12 miles away with lots of redlights & traffic that would require shifting gears frequently?

Sorry for the long post - you know how we women can be a bit long winded sometimes. I appreciate any advice - even if it's not what I wanna hear.

Edit: After giving it a little more thought, of course it would be stupid to try & drive it - what was I thinking. Excuse my retardation.

Last edited by nikkidammit; 03-01-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 PM

I have a 4.5gen, and have a silly question, what is the term for the mudflaps I don't know the proper name, I want some for mine, my dad's 2003 titanium edition has them like mudflaps but not that huge grrr anybody know the correct term? Thank you.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by FRZ251
I have a 4.5gen, and have a silly question, what is the term for the mudflaps I don't know the proper name, I want some for mine, my dad's 2003 titanium edition has them like mudflaps but not that huge grrr anybody know the correct term? Thank you.
Splash guards
Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by memphisballer
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...e-upgrade.html

1. Do not need the brackets if its a 5.5 gen.

2. yes if you will be using 04-08 calipers.
one other question i have..i want to upgrade to SS brake lines while i'm in there...can i just order brake lines for my 5th gen or do i need to order brake lines for the 6th gen?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
one other question i have..i want to upgrade to SS brake lines while i'm in there...can i just order brake lines for my 5th gen or do i need to order brake lines for the 6th gen?
5th gen lines will be fine.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 AM

thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi i am new here. I have an 00 maxima, one prob, i need a new y-pipe. Can anyone suggest me where i can find those. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Thoras
Hi i am new here. I have an 00 maxima, one prob, i need a new y-pipe. Can anyone suggest me where i can find those. Thanks!
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm
Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im wondering where i can find some info on grounding kits. ive seen a few for sale but id rather know the lengths and locations. i work at a stereo shop and can make my own, just need details. any help would be appreciated
Old 03-05-2009, 09:41 AM

Anyone have the link to the PCV value replacement for a 5.5gen? The link in the how-to's is something totally different.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:56 PM

So i cant get my fog lights to turn on anymore.

I replaced the foglights with aftermarket ones several weeks ago and everything worked fine. Replaced the bulbs with 4300k sunshines about a week later. Lights were whiter and brighter than the ones that came with it so i was happy. Had them in there for about a week and the driver one goes out. I ordered new lights, 5900k hipros. Got them in the mail and put them in, now i blow a fuse every time i try to turn my fogs on. I installed one bulb and tryed turning them on to see the difference and i blew my fog light fuse. Replaced it several times and it blows everytime. Is there a short somewhere?? Any Help?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by joemax2000
So i cant get my fog lights to turn on anymore.

I replaced the foglights with aftermarket ones several weeks ago and everything worked fine. Replaced the bulbs with 4300k sunshines about a week later. Lights were whiter and brighter than the ones that came with it so i was happy. Had them in there for about a week and the driver one goes out. I ordered new lights, 5900k hipros. Got them in the mail and put them in, now i blow a fuse every time i try to turn my fogs on. I installed one bulb and tryed turning them on to see the difference and i blew my fog light fuse. Replaced it several times and it blows everytime. Is there a short somewhere?? Any Help?
Do your new lights require a larger fuse? You might want to get a multi-tester and check the circuit for continuity and proper voltage and amps.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Teddie18
Do your new lights require a larger fuse? You might want to get a multi-tester and check the circuit for continuity and proper voltage and amps.
The original fuse for the fogs is a 15(in-cabin fuse box). I put in a 30 which was the biggest spare i had and it blew right away as well. The fuses didn't start to blow until i had put these new lights in so it must be something involving them. I had to cut wires from my old fogs and splice together with wires from my new fogs so that i could get power to them in the first place. I'm dunno if that would be a problem or not. Bulbs might be dirty but im not sure if that would matter either. Would there be any other fuses that might be blown, which would cause this one to keep blowing?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by joemax2000
The original fuse for the fogs is a 15(in-cabin fuse box). I put in a 30 which was the biggest spare i had and it blew right away as well. The fuses didn't start to blow until i had put these new lights in so it must be something involving them. I had to cut wires from my old fogs and splice together with wires from my new fogs so that i could get power to them in the first place. I'm dunno if that would be a problem or not. Bulbs might be dirty but im not sure if that would matter either. Would there be any other fuses that might be blown, which would cause this one to keep blowing?
You can't use a 30 amp fuse ion what was a 15 amp circuit. The wire can't take such a load and may melt down and catch fire. You obviously have a short somewhere.

The first place I would check is at the harnesses at the lights. To change the bulbs you had to move teh harnesses around. One wire might be shorting out.

Go back to the original fuse.

I would remove both bulbs and try the lights. If the fuse blows then you know it's a wiring problem.

If it doesn't blow I woul work one step at a time adding things until you have a problem to narrow things down.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:43 AM

Hi I have a 5th gen 2000 Maxima and i am having starting problems. I recently had a newer engine put in my car, and i got a new clutch and now when i go to start it, sometimes it doesn't star. It will start right up at times but other times it will just crank s i stop and when i go to crank it a second time it still wont start, and it seems to flood really fast if it doesn't start right up. Im stumped it drives like a dream when i ger it going. I replaced the crank sensor the injectors the spark plugs and the starter idk what to do. Can anyone please help meeeeee.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:52 AM

Cam Position Sensor??
Old 03-06-2009, 11:04 AM

2002 3.5 SE Exhaust

First time poster here...

I'm looking for Greddy Exhaust for my 02 3.5 Max SE. I know the Evo2 often comes up when I search for places to buy the exhaust but when I dig a little deeper there's always a disclaimer stating, "For 3.0 ONLY!"

Will the Evo2 model still work on a 3.5L? If not... please direct me to somewhere I can find this product. I live in a small town in Oklahoma and there aren't any shops that aren't strictly 4x4 trucking.

Help me out please...
Old 03-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Maf??

Hello !!
I just want to know if this MAF on ebay is good. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...ht_1750wt_1188

If not, can you give a good place to buy it ?!!? I'm coming from Montreal !
Old 03-07-2009, 04:49 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by kjunior
Hello !!
I just want to know if this MAF on ebay is good. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...ht_1750wt_1188

If not, can you give a good place to buy it ?!!? I'm coming from Montreal !
Too expensive. You can get a brand new one from Dave B for around $80 shipped in the US, not sure how much he'd charge to ship to Canada.

Before you ask for his number,
Old 03-07-2009, 05:02 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by C-Young
First time poster here...

I'm looking for Greddy Exhaust for my 02 3.5 Max SE. I know the Evo2 often comes up when I search for places to buy the exhaust but when I dig a little deeper there's always a disclaimer stating, "For 3.0 ONLY!"

Will the Evo2 model still work on a 3.5L? If not... please direct me to somewhere I can find this product. I live in a small town in Oklahoma and there aren't any shops that aren't strictly 4x4 trucking.

Help me out please...
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...t-upgrade.html
Old 03-07-2009, 05:11 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by greg989
Hi I have a 5th gen 2000 Maxima and i am having starting problems. I recently had a newer engine put in my car, and i got a new clutch and now when i go to start it, sometimes it doesn't star. It will start right up at times but other times it will just crank s i stop and when i go to crank it a second time it still wont start, and it seems to flood really fast if it doesn't start right up. Im stumped it drives like a dream when i ger it going. I replaced the crank sensor the injectors the spark plugs and the starter idk what to do. Can anyone please help meeeeee.
Which CKPS? Any codes? Done any diagnostics, or are you just throwing parts at it?

Also I don't recall if the A33s are as bad about this as the A32s are, but generally if you remove the trans, you'll get a starting issue afterward if you don't sand the mating surface between the trans and the block.

As such, have you run a ground wire from the battery to the starter?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

P0720 not ideling 2001 20th anniv.

My speed sensor (malfunctioning) and two of my 02 sensors are showing no activity. My car will not idle at all. What is causing this. It does not sound like the speed or 02 sensors? When i accelerate it feels like I am bouncing off the rev limiter at 3.5 to 4.5, then it kicks back in. But not like it should. I dont know where to start because Im not going to pay to find my problem. I dont know where to start, my mass air , my cats or what????????? New air filter, running premium gas-with fuel additive and these are the only three code that are showing. so what would be causing my car not to idle?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Just out of curiosity has anyone had any problems with thier steering wheel controls for the radio and my bose sub-woofer goes on and off??? Thanks for any suggestions! And if this was posted in the wrong area please let me know. Thanks so much!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by 01Trickster
My speed sensor (malfunctioning) and two of my 02 sensors are showing no activity. My car will not idle at all. What is causing this. It does not sound like the speed or 02 sensors? When i accelerate it feels like I am bouncing off the rev limiter at 3.5 to 4.5, then it kicks back in. But not like it should. I dont know where to start because Im not going to pay to find my problem. I dont know where to start, my mass air , my cats or what????????? New air filter, running premium gas-with fuel additive and these are the only three code that are showing. so what would be causing my car not to idle?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Just out of curiosity has anyone had any problems with thier steering wheel controls for the radio and my bose sub-woofer goes on and off??? Thanks for any suggestions! And if this was posted in the wrong area please let me know. Thanks so much!
Did you do a search for an answer???? The woofer problem is common. It has been discussed numerous times. As for the P0720 code, there also has been a lot of discussion regarding it as well. Your answer is most likely a search of this forum away.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:35 PM

I found a Maxima that's getting P1800 - "VIAS Control Solenoid Valve"...can't seem to find what I need to do to fix it, let alone what VIAS is. Please help!
Old 03-08-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by needamaximaquick
I found a Maxima that's getting P1800 - "VIAS Control Solenoid Valve"...can't seem to find what I need to do to fix it, let alone what VIAS is. Please help!
You need to replace the VIAS solenoid. (VIAS= Variable Induction Air System) It's located close to the throttle body, about 8 inches towards the front.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:38 PM
No more Maximas...

5.5?

There's a little vacuum switching solenoid valve on the front of the UIM, it activates the butterfly.

PN 14955-8J10A. Obviously you'd want to get it somewhere other than Nissan, as it's $160.29 @ Courtesy

You can probably get it for $20 or so in the classifieds.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
5.5?

There's a little vacuum switching solenoid valve on the front of the UIM, it activates the butterfly.

PN 14955-8J10A. Obviously you'd want to get it somewhere other than Nissan, as it's $160.29 @ Courtesy

You can probably get it for $20 or so in the classifieds.
5th's don't have P1800.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:09 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
5th's don't have P1800.

Ah, figured as much. Don't have my FSMs handy
Old 03-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
You need to replace the VIAS solenoid. (VIAS= Variable Induction Air System) It's located close to the throttle body, about 8 inches towards the front.
And this is will surely eliminate the code?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:35 PM

anyone have pics of the camshaft position sensor on a 5.5gen?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:37 PM
No more Maximas...

And this is will surely eliminate the code?
No one can say for absolute sure, as it could be the valve itself, a wiring problem, a bad ECM, etc.

But most likely it's just the valve itself.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:42 PM

No one can say for absolute sure, as it could be the valve itself, a wiring problem, a bad ECM, etc.

But most likely it's just the valve itself.
Here's my issue: this is a car I want to purchase but it's throwing that code. If it's just a simple part replacement, no sweat. But if it's something else........ya know?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:48 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Ahmad_1290
anyone have pics of the camshaft position sensor on a 5.5gen?
There are two.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:23 PM

Oops...the code is actually from an Infiniti I35....does that change anything?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:25 PM
No more Maximas...

Oops...the code is actually from an Infiniti I35....does that change anything?
No, it's all the same.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 PM

No, it's all the same.
Thanks, but the problem is I can't locate that part on infinitipartsusa.com after doing a search by part-number on the selected make/model.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:40 PM
No more Maximas...

Thanks, but the problem is I can't locate that part on infinitipartsusa.com after doing a search by part-number on the selected make/model.
That's because it's a Nissan part number. FWIW, there's a good possibility you'll pay more for an Infiniti part than the same exact Nissan part purely because of the name.

Call up Dave B and see what his price is. Before you ask who or where he is, or how to contact him,
Old 03-08-2009, 07:47 PM

That's because it's a Nissan part number. FWIW, there's a good possibility you'll pay more for an Infiniti part than the same exact Nissan part purely because of the name.

Call up Dave B and see what his price is. Before you ask who or where he is, or how to contact him,
OK,, I sent him a visotr and private message. Is there anywhere I can get a diagram of parts for the I35 and associated part numbers? Didn't know this could be so hard. Had no problem locating parts for the Malibu I used to have.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread