5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im sry but i have many post in here and no one is helping me.

I have a 2001 maxima which is high/low bulb together. I bought a HID KIT and installed everything . When i turned my car on my lights would flicker and then turn off . so i removed my DRL fuse and now it doens't flicker anymore but when i turn my low HID on the high beam signal comes on my dash board and my low HID are brighter then a high beam bulb.

( when i turn my high beams )My High beam bulb slowly powers up with flicking at the same time and then turns off.

so basically right now im driving my car with the HIDs on my low and can't use the high beams and also my HIDs are really bright like they are HIGH BEAMS

i have a 9003/ hi/lo bulb

can someone please help me?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Trunk release not working

I've tried my best to dredge through the hundreds of pages on this forum for an answer to my problem, but I came up empty handed. So - let's try it this way:

My trunk release inside my car will not open the trunk. It makes the 'thunk' noise that usually precedes the trunk popping open, but it doesn't release i guess. (Side note) The gas door will pop open fine, though (both buttons are on the same panel). Also, the key fob trunk release has the same result: 'thunk' but no release. The key will open the trunk easily, but that's the only way to get it open. I don't know much about the release mechanism - any input will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:32 AM

does anyone have a rear window spolier/roof spoiler they want to sell , i've tried getting in touch with 2 recommended place to buy retail from this site with no luck, i'm thinking its because im in Canada and they dont want to ship to me. so if any1 has one they wish to sell , let me know
Old 02-25-2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by benm_130
I've tried my best to dredge through the hundreds of pages on this forum for an answer to my problem, but I came up empty handed. So - let's try it this way:

My trunk release inside my car will not open the trunk. It makes the 'thunk' noise that usually precedes the trunk popping open, but it doesn't release i guess. (Side note) The gas door will pop open fine, though (both buttons are on the same panel). Also, the key fob trunk release has the same result: 'thunk' but no release. The key will open the trunk easily, but that's the only way to get it open. I don't know much about the release mechanism - any input will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
i had the same issue recently , all i did was lubricate the mechanism, and good as new !!!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by code_14
im sry but i have many post in here and no one is helping me.

I have a 2001 maxima which is high/low bulb together. I bought a HID KIT and installed everything . When i turned my car on my lights would flicker and then turn off . so i removed my DRL fuse and now it doens't flicker anymore but when i turn my low HID on the high beam signal comes on my dash board and my low HID are brighter then a high beam bulb.

( when i turn my high beams )My High beam bulb slowly powers up with flicking at the same time and then turns off.

so basically right now im driving my car with the HIDs on my low and can't use the high beams and also my HIDs are really bright like they are HIGH BEAMS

i have a 9003/ hi/lo bulb

can someone please help me?

http://forums.maxima.org/6861479-post7674.html

Your HID looks bright because the HID is not made for your headlight housing and you are blinding other oncoming traffic.You are very consistent with this because all eight of your posts are related to a 49.99 kit you bought off ebay.Please as i have stated weeks ago consider sending the crap back or you can stop using your factory wiring altogether,do without the highbeam and have someone do a custom wire harness for you which draws power straight from the battery at startup.Your best bet is to go with the ebay harness already made and ready to ship.No need for custom harness now.

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hid-...ment-photo.jpg

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/headlamp-harness.html

hid relay harness>http://cgi.ebay.ca/HID-Fuse-Relay-Ha...1%7C240%3A1318

Last edited by memphisballer; 02-25-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey sry to **** u off but thanks i bought a relay so thank you
Old 02-25-2009, 12:23 PM

so i've been reading...and thinking.

two questions

1. since the 04-08 brakes (calipers and rotors) are able to be used on teh 5th/5.5gen maxima's, do i need the 04-08 bracket?

2. do i need the 04-08 pads for this combo, mainly asking because i just installed my ceramics not long ago, but my rear calipers are pretty much dragging and i need to replace the calipers..
Old 02-25-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by code_14
hey sry to **** u off but thanks i bought a relay so thank you
no prob.not really pissed tho.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
so i've been reading...and thinking.

two questions

1. since the 04-08 brakes (calipers and rotors) are able to be used on teh 5th/5.5gen maxima's, do i need the 04-08 bracket?

2. do i need the 04-08 pads for this combo, mainly asking because i just installed my ceramics not long ago, but my rear calipers are pretty much dragging and i need to replace the calipers..

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...e-upgrade.html

1. Do not need the brackets if its a 5.5 gen.

2. yes if you will be using 04-08 calipers.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:50 PM

One thing nobody answered from my original post:

Will a double-din receiver fit in my 2002 GXE with non-Bose system? I've seen pics of cars with 2 single-din receivers (maybe one receiver and 1 eq), but is it a direct fit or will it require any modification?

If a double-din (or 2 single-dins) will fit it will increase my options and help me to decide whether to also look into headrests with monitors.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by qstick777
One thing nobody answered from my original post:

Will a double-din receiver fit in my 2002 GXE with non-Bose system? I've seen pics of cars with 2 single-din receivers (maybe one receiver and 1 eq), but is it a direct fit or will it require any modification?

If a double-din (or 2 single-dins) will fit it will increase my options and help me to decide whether to also look into headrests with monitors.
http://forums.maxima.org/audio-electronics-21/
Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by memphisballer

Thanks!

I promise, I did do a fair amount of searching - both now and in 2006 when I originally joined (I guess my account was deleted due to inactivity?). Most of the links in the "stickies" are either dead or link to threads not pertaining to audio.

Believe me, I felt stupid for asking such "simple" questions. I really thought I would be able to find such "basic" information in a FAQ or sticky. After searching and reading I was beginning to think that I was the only person on the planet that didn't get the upgraded Bose system or that there was something magical about the non-bose system.

I just saw this thread: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-pictures.html

Judging from the pics, a double-din will fit. I wish the online sites (crutchfield and sonicelectronix) would stop telling me that double-din doesn't fit!

Last edited by qstick777; 02-25-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:53 PM

interesting

I agree
Old 02-25-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by memphisballer
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...e-upgrade.html

1. Do not need the brackets if its a 5.5 gen.

2. yes if you will be using 04-08 calipers.
THANK U VERY MUCH..I WAS UNDER TEH IMPRESSION THAT FRONT AND REAR WERE BOLT ON..NOW I SEE ITS ONLY THE FRONT. THANKS
Old 02-25-2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by marcrobson
I agree
You agree to what, or are you just post whoring?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 PM

Hi I just picked up my 2000 maxima today. Now it has a sort of humming noise that only happens in first gear at about 2500 rpm, 2nd about the same time and thrid it does it for a second and then goes away and 4th and 5th are fine no noises at all. It goes away once you push the clutch in. Any suggestions?

I doubt its realese bearing as it doesn't do it all the time. The tranny shifts fine into all gears. Doesn't slip. The clutch is good. Could it just need tranny fluid?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello this was the only way to post!

I just got the clear tail lights for 00-03 maxima's so it claims... well after i broke my originals gettin them out lol bc i didn't care about them anymore thinking I wouldn't need them again... i put the new ones in, then as I was going to put the bulbs back in, they were different on reverse and turn signals So I was wondering if someone could show me where I could find those connectors bc I have searched everywhere I could think of online already and came up with no luck but others having the same issue but no answers resolved. So all I need to know is how I can accomdate some 02-03 light bulb connectors for my turn signals and reverse lights =D

THANKS A BUNCH!
Nate

Last edited by nbaumberger; 02-26-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Trakrunna

Max Pulls to the right under hard acceleration

Car has just gone through alignment process but under hard acceleration it pulls to the right..... What could it be? axles?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 AM

car problems

I've got some problems with my max and i need some help people...

1.When i first put my car into drive in the morning, as i slowly roll forward out of my parking space i hear a sighing sound from under the hood. If i had to guess, I would say it is from the driver side of the car. Don't have too many details about this because i haven't noticed any problems that could be attributed to this.(Powersteering gasket is leaking , or so Im told by the local mechanics)

2.Recently I've decided to experiment with driving with overdrive off and on throughout different areas to see how it feels. Generally notice that the car is way more responsive, much closer to a manual than with the overdrive on. After driving around for a while with the overdrive off, i start to notice a burning smell which seems to come from the mid or front of the car. I bought this car from my dad and he bought it from the dealership new. I know for a fact that for the 115k miles he put on the car, the overdrive was on all the time. Friends guess that the smell is oil or perhaps transmission but i need a professional opinion. The smell is very noticeable after i drive with the overdrive off for a bit, but i also notice the same smell when i drive the car hard with the overdrive on.

3.When i give the car some gas **while turning right**, i get a vibration from the front left wheel area. Had the CV boot replaced on the left back in December the passenger side about a week ago. The vibration is only at low speeds, when i give it some gas, while turning right. I do not feel any vibration at any other speeds, no matter which direction I am turning.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by nbaumberger
I just got the clear tail lights for 00-03 maxima's so it claims... well after i broke my originals gettin them out lol bc i didn't care about them anymore thinking I wouldn't need them again... i put the new ones in, then as I was going to put the bulbs back in, they were different on reverse and turn signals So I was wondering if someone could show me where I could find those connectors bc I have searched everywhere I could think of online already and came up with no luck but others having the same issue but no answers resolved. So all I need to know is how I can accomdate some 02-03 light bulb connectors for my turn signals and reverse lights =D

THANKS A BUNCH!
Nate

Those clear tails are illegal.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by joemax2000

1.When i first put my car into drive in the morning, as i slowly roll forward out of my parking space i hear a sighing sound from under the hood. If i had to guess, I would say it is from the driver side of the car. Don't have too many details about this because i haven't noticed any problems that could be attributed to this.(Powersteering gasket is leaking , or so Im told by the local mechanics)

2.Recently I've decided to experiment with driving with overdrive off and on throughout different areas to see how it feels. Generally notice that the car is way more responsive, much closer to a manual than with the overdrive on. After driving around for a while with the overdrive off, i start to notice a burning smell which seems to come from the mid or front of the car. I bought this car from my dad and he bought it from the dealership new. I know for a fact that for the 115k miles he put on the car, the overdrive was on all the time. Friends guess that the smell is oil or perhaps transmission but i need a professional opinion. The smell is very noticeable after i drive with the overdrive off for a bit, but i also notice the same smell when i drive the car hard with the overdrive on.

3.When i give the car some gas **while turning right**, i get a vibration from the front left wheel area. Had the CV boot replaced on the left back in December the passenger side about a week ago. The vibration is only at low speeds, when i give it some gas, while turning right. I do not feel any vibration at any other speeds, no matter which direction I am turning.
For number one if your powersteering gasket is leaking and its whining. Check your power steering pump resivoir. If its low on fluid it will whine more when your turn than when your driving straight. Could be alternator aswell but if your PS is leaking my bets on fluid level or the bearings in the pump are F'd
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
and hidious
Old 02-26-2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by tailz
and hidious
That too!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No they aren't bc they have red bulbs and orange bulbs. A stock Mercury Tribute has clear tail lights. I saw some yesterday. This doesn't help me at all either lol. I just need to bulb sockets.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by tailz
and hidious
Hideous?!? lol , in your opinion Mr.Opinion, and "illegal" just depends where you are, they are legal where i am as long as you emit the proper colours. And I like em!! and thats MY opinion :P
anyhow to make this post useful could nbaumberger please explain what you mean by they are "different", if you need different sockets completly then hook up your local wrecker for the right ones, and just , cut, solder, heatshrink, good as new... just a thought
Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dcnded
Hideous?!? lol , in your opinion Mr.Opinion, and "illegal" just depends where you are, they are legal where i am as long as you emit the proper colours. And I like em!! and thats MY opinion :P
anyhow to make this post useful could nbaumberger please explain what you mean by they are "different", if you need different sockets completly then hook up your local wrecker for the right ones, and just , cut, solder, heatshrink, good as new... just a thought

I have a 2001 SE maxima 5 spd with 00-01 tail lights, well for 02-03 they changed the bulbs and made them the same for brake lights and turn signals. So the 02-03 sockets is what I need now, so they will insert into my tail lights. I need to find out where I can find these... I don't even have to do anything but cut the socket out from turn signals and reverse lights from a 02-03 model and then cut mine out and just twist the wires properly. Thats it. I just can't find these sockets even at a junk yard! These cars just don't stay there bc they are so wanted at junk yards :/
I just
Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by joemax2000

for one i wouldn't recommend turning overdrive off unless your pulling something and besides as high as gas is anyhow... i'd rather leave it on lol. Anyhow to me i had a similar problem and it was my cats, all of em :/ So i had to replace some but I wouldn't recommend ebay on the cats thats u need I got mine for like less than 600 bucks for like 2 or 3 of em instead of like 2400 at the dealership lol
That should help on the smell and be sure to be a nice muffler at the end! to give it a good stance.

Good luck
Old 02-27-2009, 02:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

old and new car

Old 02-27-2009, 02:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

old and new car

Now this is a stock Maxima Silver with nothing done to it at the bottom. NOw i have a grille insert for bottom and chromed out front grill coming. Plus i got a 6k stereo nav/dvd eclipse 7" monitor with 2 15s CVX and Kicker/Alpine amp with JL XR 6.5 Componets for the highs. and plus when I get these adjustable struts in tokico or w/e shocks lol havne't ordered yet and then i'm gettin the chromed out halo HID projectors with Chrome pillars on my side of my windows. Then I'll show ya some pics where the clear tail lights will go with the clear side lights and front projector chrome HIDs

Plz help me find these bulb sockets though for 02-03 maxima ! Anyne got a junked out 02-03 maxima they wanna sell some parts on? lol Let me know plz! Thanks
Nate

Old 02-27-2009, 06:38 AM

Warpspeed Y and Megan Catback fitment probs

Purchased a Y pipe (fed emissions) and catalytic converter from Warpspeed as well as a Megan catback system for my 2000 Max. The guy I'm having do the install just called me up and said that the y pipe fits and all but if he includes the connector piece that contains the o2 sensor behind the catalytic that the exhaust will be about 5 inches too long? I'm not sure where to go from here....any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:44 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by jjdamien
Purchased a Y pipe (fed emissions) and catalytic converter from Warpspeed as well as a Megan catback system for my 2000 Max. The guy I'm having do the install just called me up and said that the y pipe fits and all but if he includes the connector piece that contains the o2 sensor behind the catalytic that the exhaust will be about 5 inches too long? I'm not sure where to go from here....any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.
Your catback is cali-spec. What he needs to do is drill a hole in the catback (right behind the cat) and weld an 02 bung there so you can put the sensor in. The short piece (s-pipe) where the 02 sensor is behind the cat in stock form needs to be trashed. I have a Cattman cali b-pipe and that is what I had to do.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Progress
Your catback is cali-spec. What he needs to do is drill a hole in the catback (right behind the cat) and weld an 02 bung there so you can put the sensor in. The short piece (s-pipe) where the 02 sensor is behind the cat in stock form needs to be trashed. I have a Cattman cali b-pipe and that is what I had to do.
Okay thanks so much for your reply. I guess thats what i'll have to do. Does Megan make a catback that is for federal emissions?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 AM
It's business time.

Okay thanks so much for your reply. I guess thats what i'll have to do. Does Megan make a catback that is for federal emissions?
I do not know. Most 5th gens are cali-spec, I believe. The switch took place half way through 2000 where fed-specs were made at the end of '99 and beginning of '00. So they may have just started making cali-spec.

It's a PITA to find fed-spec parts used parts, I know that much. What I would do for a used Cattman Fed spec Y-pipe.

Last edited by Progress; 03-30-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:58 AM

Hey gys, how's it going? Probably this question has been answered before but I can't seem to find it. Recently I scanned my 2002 se and I got the infamous p0138 oxygen sensor code. From doing a little research on here I found on that this code was for the Heated Oxygen Sensor 2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1). I checked oxygensenors.com and other sites but have no idea which one to purchase. If you guys could give me a little help with a few links on the correct one to buy, it'll be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Progress
I do not know. Most 5th gens are cali-spec, I believe. The switch took place half way through 2000 where fed-specs were made at the end of '99 and beginning of '00. So they may have just started making cali-spec.

It's a PITA to find fed-spec parts used parts, I know that much. What I would do for a used Cattman cali Y-pipe.
I called the guy thats working on my car and suggested what you told me regarding welding an o2 sensor bung, but he just told me that without the s-pipe the catback and cat don't match up correctly. wtf? I need to get down there and take a look at this.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by jl7288
Hey gys, how's it going? Probably this question has been answered before but I can't seem to find it. Recently I scanned my 2002 se and I got the infamous p0138 oxygen sensor code. From doing a little research on here I found on that this code was for the Heated Oxygen Sensor 2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1). I checked oxygensenors.com and other sites but have no idea which one to purchase. If you guys could give me a little help with a few links on the correct one to buy, it'll be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...bs-inside.html

Last edited by memphisballer; 02-28-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:18 AM
It's business time.

I called the guy thats working on my car and suggested what you told me regarding welding an o2 sensor bung, but he just told me that without the s-pipe the catback and cat don't match up correctly. wtf? I need to get down there and take a look at this.
That's very strange. If it is a cali-spec catback, it should bolt up just fine to the cat. Has he tried flipping it over?

The guy who welded in the 02 bung for my Cattman b-pipe had to weld it at and angle, not directly straight up like in the S-pipe.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by jl7288
did u check this thread out?
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...bs-inside.html
It will tell you where exactly the corresponding sensor is located with respect to the code.
As far as the code itself, i have an 01 se and i too got the same code but its not consistent. It comes and goes (2 times so far)...currently my CEL is off and i hope it stays that way. If ur inspection hasnt expired yet, i would suggest you drive around with the CEL and see if it goes away. Dont jump the gun and shell out money on a part that you dont need replacing.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by nbaumberger
No they aren't bc they have red bulbs and orange bulbs. A stock Mercury Tribute has clear tail lights. I saw some yesterday. This doesn't help me at all either lol. I just need to bulb sockets.
Mercury Tribute? You mean Mazda? And from Mazda's website, they come with red lens':

What state do you live in? With those clear lens', you have no red reflective. Plus, they are uber ugly.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mercury Tribute? You mean Mazda? And from Mazda's website, they come with red lens':

What state do you live in? With those clear lens', you have no red reflective. Plus, they are uber ugly.

Thats your opinion but heres a picture. Its the same thing practically except I have red bulbs which plainly show. It that picture, there are no bulbs in place yet... bc I can't fit them in! I need help guys. Just needs to find 02-03 bulb sockets for turn signals and reverse lights.... any freakin suggestions? I'm not asking about my looks, my looks is what I want. Just need to proper sockets to fit!

Thanks a bunch

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread