5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Splive
If this question has been asked I apologize, but I've been searching for the past 40 minutes or so and haven't found a question that matches my condition.

My Problem:
Car started stalling this afternoon while driving. It is idling fine, and was NOT stalling while sitting at a light or while parked (this is the most common issue I found while searching). First time it stalled I was speeding up from 30. Hit about 3k RPM then I started losing power fast - RPM's were bouncing back and forth between 2k and 3k, before they dropped off completely and the car stalled. Ran about 2 miles before it happened again. By that point I was a few blocks from my apartment so I tried one last time, but it stalled less than a mile later. It was a downhill coast with no power, but was able to get it home at least.

Fun Facts:
Nissan Maxima 2003 - Automatic (wish it were manual)
130k miles
No CEL
Starts, but does take a second or two longer to catch
No audible engine noises - sounds brand new when it is actually running
No Smoking/Overheating/Oil Light/other indications
1/4 tank of gas
Not overheating

Recent work:
Had my second CAM Sensor replaced under recall two weeks ago (first was replaced a year ago...didn't research enough to find out about the recall...doh).
First and only time I'll bump this - anyone? If not I'll just have to take it into a mechanic (thinking it is likely a bad fuel pump?)
Old 06-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can it be saved???

My low mileage 02 SE recently swallowed a screw from the power valve. Long story short I tore the engine apart and here are pics of the carnage. I am looking for opinions. Can this head be saved?

Thanks, David

Old 06-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Teddie18
The screeching noise at start up is most likely one of your drive belts slipping. This is a guess of course. You might want to replace both belts if they haven't replaced all ready. Belt replacement is a maintenance item.

The other noise is not completely uncommon. The degree of it may be. It could be a number of front suspension components. It could be the strut tower mounts, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links or something else. It could be a combination of these and other components. I would start with replacing the sway bar bushings and then the strut mounts. Then the sway bar end links. Without being able to hear the noise nor inspect the car I can't be absolutely sure. But you always start with the least expensive/easiest repair and move on from there.

Thank you! I will replace the drive belts and start on the other things you mentioned. Hopefully it's not too expensive. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

cooling fan???????????

Let's begin..... start the car, turn the a/c on and . . . . no cooling fans. ok checked all connections, fuses, and relays, all good so i put 12v from the battery to the fan itself, once again no fan. normaly at this point i would say replace it and move on but it seems weird to me that both fans would stop working simultaneously. anyone out there a little more fimilar with the electrical systems for these fans? do i need to run a seprate ground as well as the 12v from the battery to the fans. and if so what color on the fan harness to ground and what color for 12v.Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 09:33 AM

What kind of bolts do I need to secure my VQ35DE to an engine stand?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I lost my keys yesterday and I don't have a spare. How do i go about getting a replacement?? Does the dealer/locksmith need my car present to cut and program a new one?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:08 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by mchin1
I lost my keys yesterday and I don't have a spare. How do i go about getting a replacement?? Does the dealer/locksmith need my car present to cut and program a new one?
If you're getting brand new keys then yes, the car will have to be there for programming.

To cut the key they'll only need the VIN (assuming they can get your key code).

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
What kind of bolts do I need to secure my VQ35DE to an engine stand?
Did you search?

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ine-stand.html
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...and-bolts.html
...etc
Old 06-28-2009, 11:17 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by iron dragon
My low mileage 02 SE recently swallowed a screw from the power valve. Long story short I tore the engine apart and here are pics of the carnage. I am looking for opinions. Can this head be saved?

Thanks, David
It's definitely repairable (most anything is, really), it just depends on how much the repair will cost you. It might very well be more cost effective to buy either another set of heads (or one if you can find them individually), or just replace the engine.

I believe HNDA_ETR has a set of heads in the classifieds.

Originally Posted by cabledawg79
Let's begin..... start the car, turn the a/c on and . . . . no cooling fans. ok checked all connections, fuses, and relays, all good so i put 12v from the battery to the fan itself, once again no fan. normaly at this point i would say replace it and move on but it seems weird to me that both fans would stop working simultaneously. anyone out there a little more fimilar with the electrical systems for these fans? do i need to run a seprate ground as well as the 12v from the battery to the fans. and if so what color on the fan harness to ground and what color for 12v.Thanks
The low speed of the cooling fans should always have ground, but high speed has a switched ground through the relay.

If you're testing high speed operation, you would either need to jump the relays or just run B+ and ground directly to the fan connectors.

If you want to test low speed, just run B+ to either the W/R or G/R wire, depending on fan.

If high speed, run ground to L/B or L/R, and B+ to R/Y or R/B, respectively.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:41 PM

What type of oil would be best for my 2001 Nissan Maxima SE? I have 130,000 miles on it and drive mostly highway.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

question about stalling in 02 6 speed

I have an 02 SE 6-speed with 95k miles on it. A few weeks ago, the SES light came on and I took it to a shop which told me that the codes were P0300, P0455 and P01456. They said that the problem was that one of my vacuum lines wasnt put on tight enough, and that it had been fixed. Now, I am having problems with the car stalling. Sometimes when I am slowing down (getting off the freeway or turning into my driveway) or at idle the car stalls. I turn the key and it turns back on with no problems. It happens pretty often in both hot and cold weather. The light was off for about 4 days after I had the problem "fixed" and now it is back on again. Any ideas on what could be causing my stalling problems?

Also, I hear a grinding/metallic rubbing sound (coming from what sounds like the drivers side wheel well) when I am making u-turns. Any ideas on what that could be and how to fix it?

Any answers are much appreciated!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:34 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by watchoutfemaledriver
I have an 02 SE 6-speed with 95k miles on it. A few weeks ago, the SES light came on and I took it to a shop which told me that the codes were P0300, P0455 and P01456. They said that the problem was that one of my vacuum lines wasnt put on tight enough, and that it had been fixed. Now, I am having problems with the car stalling. Sometimes when I am slowing down (getting off the freeway or turning into my driveway) or at idle the car stalls. I turn the key and it turns back on with no problems. It happens pretty often in both hot and cold weather. The light was off for about 4 days after I had the problem "fixed" and now it is back on again. Any ideas on what could be causing my stalling problems?

Also, I hear a grinding/metallic rubbing sound (coming from what sounds like the drivers side wheel well) when I am making u-turns. Any ideas on what that could be and how to fix it?

Any answers are much appreciated!
Have you gotten the codes pulled again yet? Just because the CEL is on so quickly doesn't mean the codes will be the same.

Originally Posted by nos879
What type of oil would be best for my 2001 Nissan Maxima SE? I have 130,000 miles on it and drive mostly highway.
I'm guessing you haven't checked the relevant subforum for this?

http://forums.maxima.org/fluids-lubricants-52/
Old 06-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

[quote=pmohr;7093199]Have you gotten the codes pulled again yet? Just because the CEL is on so quickly doesn't mean the codes will be the same.

Sorry, I failed to mention that they are the same (minus one). Still have a random misfiring and a small evap leak.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

newbie to fifth gen, i just got my fiancé an 02 gle, when i hit the brakes a light comes up on the dash, it looks like 2 lights in red. all my lights work, so needles to say I'm a bit confused.

Any help
Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 PM

fog lights for 5th gen 2003 nissam maxima

Hi i just upgraded from a 2k max to a 2k3...when i got the car one of the fog lights were already cracked. i was not looking to get stock parts again. I wanted to know if anybody had some good brands or places i can go to get the fog lights. im looking for mainly HID lights or xenon whatever goes best with the car cause the head lights are xenon lights....JUST NEED SOME ADVICE! thanks
Old 06-29-2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kquezada28
Hi i just upgraded from a 2k max to a 2k3...when i got the car one of the fog lights were already cracked. i was not looking to get stock parts again. I wanted to know if anybody had some good brands or places i can go to get the fog lights. im looking for mainly HID lights or xenon whatever goes best with the car cause the head lights are xenon lights....JUST NEED SOME ADVICE! thanks

EBAY has tons of lights/fogs for that car, good prices too
Old 06-29-2009, 01:08 PM

thank you pmohr. I did a search and kept looking but obviously i still suck at the searching method.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by ALSOUSA99MAXIMA
newbie to fifth gen, i just got my fiancé an 02 gle, when i hit the brakes a light comes up on the dash, it looks like 2 lights in red. all my lights work, so needles to say I'm a bit confused.

Any help
Double check all lights... blinkers too!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:24 PM
dot dot dot ...

Any help
Your brakelight(s) need replacing.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Timing Chain

6 months ago i paid 6k for a 2002 maxima se with 107k miles. recently i have been experiencing a rattling noise upon start that is apparently a wearing sprocket controlled by the timing chain. My question is whether i should have new sprockets put in and overall how much this would cost: parts, labor, etc. or if there is a better option that is cheaper or safer. thanks.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 PM

Ok..so from previous page i mentioned that my car has been draining battery and i took it to autozone and walmart, they all say alternator is ok.. but somehow low on voltage.

anyway, today my car died again. i bought another battery and im gonna take the 2 days old one to walmart to have them recharge it.

if the alternator is fine then there's short circuit somewhere,the dealer changed some wiring harness and knock sensor 2 weeks ago. I doubt they will take up the responsibility if something is messed up.. anyway. is there battery charge I can buy that i can recharge my battery at night? i have 2 battery now, i figure each will last me 2 days. i just have to swap them back and forth, if they die. i can take it back to walmart to get a free replaceemnt..i just want to buy the machine to recharge battery at home, does it exit? and how much would it be?

this car is old..im just gonna drive it to the ground when either engine or tranmission fails on me. everything else..i'll try to cope with it as long as i have a/c and it runs ok

Last edited by Bl_asd1; 06-29-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Bl_asd1
Ok..so from previous page i mentioned that my car has been draining battery and i took it to autozone and walmart, they all say alternator is ok.. but somehow low on voltage.

anyway, today my car died again. i bought another battery and im gonna take the 2 days old one to walmart to have them recharge it.

this car is old..if the alternator is fine then there's short circuit somewhere,the dealer changed some wiring harness and knock sensor 2 weeks ago. I doubt they will take up the responsibility if something is messed up.. anyway. is there battery charge I can buy that i can recharge my battery at night? i have 2 battery now, i figure each will last me 2 days. i just have to swap them back and forth, if they die. i can take it back to walmart to get a free replaceemnt..i just want to buy the machine to recharge battery at home, does it exit? and how much would it be?
Yes, it's called...a battery charger. Have you done any research for it?

Search for the prices.

Have you not tested for a parasitic drain yet? Are you seriously just going to swap the battery every 2 days for the life of the car?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 PM

Any help
get something or someone to step on your brake, now check the lights at the rear, either left or right tail light bulb is out. (i think)
Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 PM

what's parasitic drain? does autozone or walmart do it?

Originally Posted by pmohr
Yes, it's called...a battery charger. Have you done any research for it?

Search for the prices.

Have you not tested for a parasitic drain yet? Are you seriously just going to swap the battery every 2 days for the life of the car?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:40 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Bl_asd1
what's parasitic drain? does autozone or walmart do it?
No, I highly doubt they'd bother testing your car, even for a fee.

If you can't do it yourself, take it to a shop. Swapping out batteries that often is just plain ridiculous. You're just asking to get stranded somewhere

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain
Old 06-29-2009, 08:48 PM

ok sweet, i'll do this friday, but in the mean time..how do i prevent this happening. for now I disconnect my battery when my car is off. I didnt know about the parasitic drain but somehow i knew it was possible. so i already removed the battery. i guess i have to keep doing it till i find out the problem. any other way to prevent the drain? i assume my alternator can charge my battery when i put it on

No, I highly doubt they'd bother testing your car, even for a fee.

If you can't do it yourself, take it to a shop. Swapping out batteries that often is just plain ridiculous. You're just asking to get stranded somewhere

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain
Old 06-29-2009, 11:57 PM

got a question i need to do a tune up on my 2000 can i do the the plug myself? And Also what else needs to be done for a tune up ? please someone get back to me asap thank you

Last edited by MoeBelikeMax; 06-30-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:40 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by MoeBelikeMax
got a question i need to do a tune up on my 2000 can i do the the plug myself? And Also what else needs to be done for a tune up ? please someone get back to me asap thank you
I don't know, can you? Since you neglected to mention anything about your mechanical aptitude, tools, experience, etc, can't really say.

Have you searched? There are many many threads on tuneups, and several DIYs on how to replace the plugs.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:00 PM

I have a 2003 Maxima SE w 6spd.

Friday night I hit a deer in the very front center - headlights are good but the bumper/Grille/Radiator/and Hood are shot.

Insurance just totalled it out since the Air Bags blew.

Anyone know about using airbags from Ebay or here? Is that a safe prospect typically if you get them calibrated correctly?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:50 PM

I don't know, can you? Since you neglected to mention anything about your mechanical aptitude, tools, experience, etc, can't really say.

Have you searched? There are many many threads on tuneups, and several DIYs on how to replace the plugs.
well i did ask more then one question now i have change sprak plug on other cars screwed them out and put the new ones in. But My other Question Was Besides spark plug having to be changed what else is done when i say i need a tune
Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 PM

Air Conditionner

I have a question concerning my A/C. Lately, it has started to blow hot air. I have read around and numerous people have mentioned things from cleaning our their A/C to recharging it. Where should I start? Should I just purchase r134a and a filler hose to recharge or seek other procedures for curing this problem?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:21 PM
No more Maximas...

I have a question concerning my A/C. Lately, it has started to blow hot air. I have read around and numerous people have mentioned things from cleaning our their A/C to recharging it. Where should I start? Should I just purchase r134a and a filler hose to recharge or seek other procedures for curing this problem?
No, just adding refrigerant without checking the current charge is not a good thing to do. You can damage the compressor just as much running the system overcharged as you can overcharged (just like an engine with oil).

Get a gauge set (or take it to a shop), see if there's any refrigerant in there. You can do a quick test by just depressing one of the valves, just look for a cap marked H or L. Of course it'll always let some out unless the system is 100% depressurized.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:29 AM

Hey everyone my names Frank and I have a black 2000 nissan maxima GLE. I was looking around and saw the AE mod, which btw is really sick =P. Anyway, I have strobelights drilled into my headlights. When I take my light out, i would take the strobe light out as well. Would the AE mod still work ok. I'll take pics of my strobe lights if that is any easier.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:19 PM

thanks pmohr. I have another question I purchased a Purolaor Air Filter and its different than the micro cabin air filter I had in my 2001 Nissan Maxima. The Purolator has a rubber backing do i face the rubber backing towards the right mirror or left mirror.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:34 PM
No more Maximas...

thanks pmohr. I have another question I purchased a Purolaor Air Filter and its different than the micro cabin air filter I had in my 2001 Nissan Maxima. The Purolator has a rubber backing do i face the rubber backing towards the right mirror or left mirror.
Are you saying that you bought an air filter for the intake and you want to use it as a cabin air filter, or...?

According to their site, they don't make a cabin air filter.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:43 PM

Are you saying that you bought an air filter for the intake and you want to use it as a cabin air filter, or...?

According to their site, they don't make a cabin air filter.
I have the Purolator A24278 Air Filter and was going to put it in the Cabin Air part behind the dash board.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 power issues

I am new here so thank you in advance of any assistance that you guys can offer.As stated above I have a 2001 Maxima
130+ miles.
On the way back form my honeymoon we were driving back from Ft. Lauderdale to TN and the issue started.
Power on the low end (below 2500-3000 rpm) was ok, not great.
Above 3000 (if you could get there) was non existent.
So he is a description of the symptoms.
Running in top gear, add a little bit of gas and the motor just falls on it's face. You let totally off the gas and slowly pick it back up and you can regain momentum and speed.
At first there were several codes, fuel too rich, fuel too lean then rear O2 sensor. I cleared the codes in Fla and they never came back on all of the way back to Tennessee.
It reminds me of when you start a motorcycle or weedeater with the choke on it has not warmed up yet, when you give it too much gas it just wants to stall out.
I have had these thoughts of the cause.
Bad fuel filter
Bad fuel pump
Bad mas air flow sensor
Any assistance or thoughts you can think of would be of great help.
Are there any diagnostic tests I can perform
thanks chris
Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM
No more Maximas...

I have the Purolator A24278 Air Filter and was going to put it in the Cabin Air part behind the dash board.
The intake air filter isn't even the right size to be used as a cabin air filter.

What you have:

What you need:

Why don't you just get the correct part?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by cripsy476
I am new here so thank you in advance of any assistance that you guys can offer.As stated above I have a 2001 Maxima
130+ miles.
On the way back form my honeymoon we were driving back from Ft. Lauderdale to TN and the issue started.
Power on the low end (below 2500-3000 rpm) was ok, not great.
Above 3000 (if you could get there) was non existent.
So he is a description of the symptoms.
Running in top gear, add a little bit of gas and the motor just falls on it's face. You let totally off the gas and slowly pick it back up and you can regain momentum and speed.
At first there were several codes, fuel too rich, fuel too lean then rear O2 sensor. I cleared the codes in Fla and they never came back on all of the way back to Tennessee.
It reminds me of when you start a motorcycle or weedeater with the choke on it has not warmed up yet, when you give it too much gas it just wants to stall out.
I have had these thoughts of the cause.
Bad fuel filter
Bad fuel pump
Bad mas air flow sensor
Any assistance or thoughts you can think of would be of great help.
Are there any diagnostic tests I can perform
thanks chris
Are you still on the original MAF? There was a TSB about them, one of the symptoms is low engine power.

Personally I'd try to swap in a known good MAF from a local member, see if that works before you go out and buy one. They're only ~$80 shipped from Dave B, though.

What part of TN?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 PM

The intake air filter isn't even the right size to be used as a cabin air filter.

What you have:

What you need:

Why don't you just get the correct part?
thanks pmohr. Yea I realized that. I was just seeing what way I could have a more cost-effective cabin air filter. Cause the Wix one retails at 28$ on Rock Auto. But, I just installed the Purolator Air Filter and replaced my old one and try to continue to find a good but affordable cabin air filter.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:47 PM
No more Maximas...

thanks pmohr. Yea I realized that. I was just seeing what way I could have a more cost-effective cabin air filter. Cause the Wix one retails at 28$ on Rock Auto. But, I just installed the Purolator Air Filter and replaced my old one and try to continue to find a good but affordable cabin air filter.
If you wanted to do it on the cheap you could always try to pry apart the old one and just replace the filter element with something like what they use in the $5 home HVAC filters.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread