5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by vijay101
Hi, I am new here and have a question regarding wheel fitment. I would appreciate if someone could let me know if the following wheels and size would fit on my car without problem. I got a 2003 Maxima GLE

TSW Donington 18 x 8 +20 offset 5x114.3

Thank you
Sorry to bump this question but would anyone know the answer as I'd like to buy the wheels soon if they fit.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 PM

5 x 114.3

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse...._Reference.cfm
Old 01-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by cjandura
Good start on the car.i would get coilovers but keep in mind it is a good ideal to swap them out in the winter time.i currently run BC in the summer and tokico Blues in the winter.
If coilovers cannot be used for the winter, I may have to rethink as I don't want to be swapping them on and off for each season. I may be clueless, but why would coilovers not last when regular shocks/struts will during winter?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 03:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have an 01 maxima giving me pretty much the same issue, it drives great as long as you drive it VERY easy, but as soon as you press on the gas a little harder it falls on its face,
history: just bought the car a week ago, it had a code for the # 3 coil pack so i replaced that, it runs smoother but still has the issue when i hit the gas, when i hit the gas it will downshift and the rpm's will go up but no power, it just falls on its face. i removed the 02 sensors to allow it to breathe a little but it didnt help (i was thinking the cats may have been stopped up) and now after rerading this thread i am wondering, do these cars have a problem with the maf?

also, i unplugged the maf with the car running to see if it would throw a code and it did so i kinda took it that if it was bad it would throw a code,, it this right or might it still be bad?

Yup, exact same issue!

alot of what i'm reading on the forum about MAF's is that they can fail intermitently and not throw codes, so it's like chasing a ghost. Since the MAF is $100+, i'm going to try that after i try some of the less expensive options, though i'm still thinking MAF is the culprit. The MAF wire heats up and measures the air flow...that thing has to be eventually fail...it would make sense...as soon as you floor it, the engine sucks in more air but the MAF can't read the airflow properly and you get a bad mix of gas to air...resulting in bad mileage. Seems to make sense, right?

Anybody else out there have this problem and fixed it? How?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-24-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:59 AM
Suspension Yoda

Coilovers are performance-oriented suspension that are stiffer than OEM.

In the winter, the oil in them is even stiffer than at normal operating temperature - and being in Green Bay, I'm sure you have some VERY cold winters. So for comfort and to extend the longevity of coilovers in extreme climates it's sometimes recommended not to run them in the winter.

That being said, I know plenty of NYC members that run coilovers all winter without issue. However our winters are not nearly as bad as Green Bay.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DamSedan
P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor (Phase) Circuit (Bank 1)
Ok,

Basically, the car died on me after going around a left turn from a stop light. I coasted about 200 feet, got the car into neutral and turned the key. It fired right back up but of course I had a bunch of lights flashing at me. I was right at the entrance of my neighborhood luckily. Unfortunately, I did not have alot of time to play with it that evening so it pretty much just sat in the garage. Then yesterday I ended up having to drive it before playing with it again. Low an behold at about 65mph on the highway on the way to a dinner with the wife, the car tried to shut off again. I think the only thing that kept it going this time was the speed but who knows. Once again, the TCS light and Slip lights came on and the SES light was already on. At this point be had been driving for about 40 minutes and had been on the highway for at least 30 miles of that. I mean, this is coming out of the frickn blue here!

A buddy and I scanned it today and see what it was. I then double checked the connections and wires as far as I could and they all look good. We even cleaned the connection points. I have read through the forum here and have see a few things but no real answers to the problem.

Honestly, the car runs strong. It is an 03 I35 and has about 90,000k on it, new belts, plugs, packs all checked out, just changed the oil two weeks ago, new brakes... I just don't get it. The last thing I want to do is to start chasing a problem and dumping money into it. That being the case, I would rather just buy a new car! The only performance mods, if that is what you want to call it is a cai and springs.
My car just had this problem!! Sorry to bring back an old thread! It died 2 times on my way to work this morning... How hard is it to replace cam positioning sensor? Would I be able to get one at pep boys or just from the dealer?

Thanks for the help

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-24-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by JBert02MAX
My car just had this problem!! Sorry to bring back an old thread! It died 2 times on my way to work this morning... How hard is it to replace cam positioning sensor? Would I be able to get one at pep boys or just from the dealer?

Thanks for the help
you can buy the sensor at autozone, same one as at the dealer and it costs less. There are two sensors the one on the timing case cover is simple and the one that fails the most, its simple to replace unplug, take out one screw pull out old sensor, put new one in, reattach screw, reconnect the plug and your done, five minutes and your done

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-24-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 AM

I cleaned my MAF using a contact cleaner. Sprayed a little in the throttle then wiped it with a cloth. When I reinstalled everything, the car won't start. no crank. I can hear the fuel pump and it doesn't stop priming. I hear a buzzing sound when I step on the gas pedal. Need help on what to check. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
The stock A/T just isnt good, plane and simple. Warm your engine up before you drive to allow the tranny fluid to warm up, that will help a little bit. You might also have a leak somewhere. A tranmission controller module from JWT will transform the stock transmission into what you could call "good" performance. Expensive option though
JWT module for 02-03's? ? SupraStick V4 is what is used.

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Does it downshift and still feel bogged when you press the gas down furthur? Try turning the OD off and see if it still seems sluggish when you try to pass at highway speeds. I dont use the OD unless im going on a long HWY trip because when you try to pass with the OD on you almost have to press it to the floor to downshift
Our OD isn't controlled by a button on the shifter, it's just another gear (4) on our shifters. Running around in 3rd wont help.

Since the DBW hesitation TSB was specific to MT's, it may be require this TSB: http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-023.pdf

If you've recently replaced your MAF, then you may need a reprogram. If you have not, it may be your MAF. What are your codes?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New member / 2000 Maxima

Hey I'm a new member and I have a 2000 maxima. I replaced the back Cat Converter and I was told the 2 in front are also bad. Since the two in the front are bad would the one in the back crap out also?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by CharlieSole
Hey I'm a new member and I have a 2000 maxima. I replaced the back Cat Converter and I was told the 2 in front are also bad. Since the two in the front are bad would the one in the back crap out also?
Cali or federal?

And when you say back, do you mean the "main" cat, under the car? Or are you referring to the one near the engine integrated into the manifold?

Originally Posted by jason_10
I cleaned my MAF using a contact cleaner. Sprayed a little in the throttle then wiped it with a cloth. When I reinstalled everything, the car won't start. no crank. I can hear the fuel pump and it doesn't stop priming. I hear a buzzing sound when I step on the gas pedal. Need help on what to check. Thanks.
You sprayed MAF cleaner inside the throttle body? Seems like it should be fine.

You wiped what the MAF or throttle? What year is your car? Everything plugged in OK?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-24-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieSole
You mean O2 sensors, not catalytic converter. Cars only have ONE catalytic, but multiple O2 sensors.

The rear O2 sensor (the one in back of the cat) don't really do much aside from monitor the output of the cat. The ones in front of the cat do most of the work. Their output determines fuel injection and other things for the vehicle. Just becuase the one in back went bad does NOT mean the two in front are automatically bad.

Do you have a Check Engine light? Scan the codes, that'll tell you. How did the person who told you the O2 sensors were bad get their info? How does your car run?

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 01-24-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
You mean O2 sensors, not catalytic converter. Cars only have ONE catalytic,
Actually, we have what is referred to as pre-cats on each bank. 00 Fed models had one in front and a main cat under the car (rear). 01 CA models have a pre-cat on each bank and the main one (3).

02-03 are all considered "CA" models.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-24-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by randcof
i have an 01 maxima giving me pretty much the same issue, it drives great as long as you drive it VERY easy, but as soon as you press on the gas a little harder it falls on its face,
history: just bought the car a week ago, it had a code for the # 3 coil pack so i replaced that, it runs smoother but still has the issue when i hit the gas, when i hit the gas it will downshift and the rpm's will go up but no power, it just falls on its face. i removed the 02 sensors to allow it to breathe a little but it didnt help (i was thinking the cats may have been stopped up) and now after rerading this thread i am wondering, do these cars have a problem with the maf?

also, i unplugged the maf with the car running to see if it would throw a code and it did so i kinda took it that if it was bad it would throw a code,, it this right or might it still be bad?

Yup, exact same issue!

alot of what i'm reading on the forum about MAF's is that they can fail intermitently and not throw codes, so it's like chasing a ghost. Since the MAF is $100+, i'm going to try that after i try some of the less expensive options, though i'm still thinking MAF is the culprit. The MAF wire heats up and measures the air flow...that thing has to be eventually fail...it would make sense...as soon as you floor it, the engine sucks in more air but the MAF can't read the airflow properly and you get a bad mix of gas to air...resulting in bad mileage. Seems to make sense, right?

Anybody else out there have this problem and fixed it? How?
Definally sounds like your maf sensor. When i bought my max at 145k miles it was having the exact same problem
go easy all good, step on it would not go anywhere. and no code for bad maf sensor. Put a new one and voila!!! However dont get it from the nissan i did that mistake. It goes for like 75 with the housing at nissancourtesyparts i think its called. Search the forum someone had posted maybe 4 pages back about it with pics and everything.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

00 se

I have a question that I can't really find an answer anywhere for. I installed 6k after market Hid on my 00 maxima. After installing I had them work but the high beam indicator stays on with the high beam switch engaged. When I engage the switch they dim real quick then flicker like strobes. Really cool at first but pretty annoying since i can't use my 3k hids for my fog lights since they will not turn on with the (high beams) on even though they aren't really on! Someone please help. Is there a wire to disconnect or cut fuse to pull?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Marooner
00 se

I have a question that I can't really find an answer anywhere for. I installed 6k after market Hid on my 00 maxima. After installing I had them work but the high beam indicator stays on with the high beam switch engaged. When I engage the switch they dim real quick then flicker like strobes. Really cool at first but pretty annoying since i can't use my 3k hids for my fog lights since they will not turn on with the (high beams) on even though they aren't really on! Someone please help. Is there a wire to disconnect or cut fuse to pull?
Fog light rewire to remain on with high beams, and control them independently of low beam.

http://www.shiftice.com/fog_rewire.html
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the help guys,i will try a new maf today to see how it works
Old 01-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Fog light rewire to remain on with high beams, and control them independently of low beam.

http://www.shiftice.com/fog_rewire.html

I read that and I'm going to try it but in the how-to it says the fog lights will turn off with high beams which therefore leaves me with no fog lights I guess I'll have to suck it up and wire them alone to a separate switch.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:09 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ It shouldn't. This rewire connects the signal wire for the fog lights to the parking light, effectively disconnecting it from the headlamp.

I could be wrong, but to me it logically doesn't make sense.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
^^ It shouldn't. This rewire connects the signal wire for the fog lights to the parking light, effectively disconnecting it from the headlamp.

I could be wrong, but to me it logically doesn't make sense.
That's what I was thinking. I'm gonna give it a go this weekend at work. Thanks for the help!!! Really appreciate it
Old 01-25-2012, 06:18 AM
Suspension Yoda

My pleasure. Let me know if you need help - I'm local in NJ and do work for a lot of local org members. Specifically audio/electronics and suspension.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 AM

Hey everyone,

I recently bought 2001 maxima for next to nothing because of a noise in the engine. I'm completely prepared to pay whatever it cost to repair it I'm just trying to figure out exactly what it is first. I've uploaded a video to youtube with the noise in it, could anyone take an educated guess at what it could be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPrr40DZKJI

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmac
Hey everyone,

I recently bought 2001 maxima for next to nothing because of a noise in the engine. I'm completely prepared to pay whatever it cost to repair it I'm just trying to figure out exactly what it is first. I've uploaded a video to youtube with the noise in it, could anyone take an educated guess at what it could be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPrr40DZKJI

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a valve lifter/clearance problem.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Sounds like a valve lifter/clearance problem.
You're the second person to suggest that so I'll assume that's what it is. Would someone who's comfortable working on cars be able to repair this themselves or should it be taken to a mechanic? Any estimate what kind of repair costs I could be looking at?

Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 PM

quick question: is it true that once you have conventional oil you cant change to synthetic?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ No.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmac
You're the second person to suggest that so I'll assume that's what it is. Would someone who's comfortable working on cars be able to repair this themselves or should it be taken to a mechanic? Any estimate what kind of repair costs I could be looking at?

Thanks again.
I can't even venture an answer to your question. It all depends on exactly why the noise is happening. You could have a bad valve which would require the cylinder head to be removed, the camshaft could be bad or maybe just a shim.

If major engine work were needed, are you up for that? Under a worst case senario, taking it to a mechanic could easily cost over $1000.

More diagnostics are needed. First determine which bank is making the noise and then remove the valve cover and determine which valve. With the noise that loud, the valve may not be operating at all and the engine may be missing. If this were to be true, you could find the cylinder with the problem valve and zero in on it much quicker.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello...I am in need of the fsm for my 02 maxima. I have found several links but none of them are working. Could someone please direct me in the right path? I just recieved my new valve covers and spark plugs and need directions! Thanks!!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by yrock
hello...I am in need of the fsm for my 02 maxima. I have found several links but none of them are working. Could someone please direct me in the right path? I just recieved my new valve covers and spark plugs and need directions! Thanks!!
Here ya go!

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/
Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM

Foglight rewire question...

I followed the shiftice guide to rewire my fogs for my 5.5... I followed all instructions and use the tap in splice or w/e its called. In the end... My headlights and fogs are operatin like normal. Ive searched and searched but i cant find an exact answer to this prolem. Ive triple checked the wires an i cut the right ones. Ill get some pics up but does anyone have an idea on whats wrong here?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rotors Brakes and Parking Brakes.

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE and was doing my rear brakes and rotors. I've done this job before more than a few times in the past on different vehicles so I wasn't expecting any trouble. (i.e. Ford Ranger, Ford Focus ...) anyways, I had the car up on jackstands and had the wheels pulled off, getting ready to delve into a standard rotor / rear brake pad replacement. Normally I have no problems unlatching the parking brake, simple removal of the clip and then it usually pulls right out. Today, however; the whole cable is frozen in its bracket, and upon closer inspection of the caliper, seems the caliper is frozen as well (though the car still brakes).

So if these weren't the rear calipers i'd try a C-Clamp to loosen it up but because its the rear and the caliper piston needs to be rotated with the compression tool (clockwise/counterclockwise depending in which way its facing), i'm kind of stuck.
I tried some WD40 on the bracket, as well as some more industrial strength penetrant, neither of which had much effect on the bracket.

Does anyone have any suggestions for disconnecting that brake cable in the current circumstance, and / or loosening up the piston of the brake caliper. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by dundir
I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE and was doing my rear brakes and rotors. I've done this job before more than a few times in the past on different vehicles so I wasn't expecting any trouble. (i.e. Ford Ranger, Ford Focus ...) anyways, I had the car up on jackstands and had the wheels pulled off, getting ready to delve into a standard rotor / rear brake pad replacement. Normally I have no problems unlatching the parking brake, simple removal of the clip and then it usually pulls right out. Today, however; the whole cable is frozen in its bracket, and upon closer inspection of the caliper, seems the caliper is frozen as well (though the car still brakes).

So if these weren't the rear calipers i'd try a C-Clamp to loosen it up but because its the rear and the caliper piston needs to be rotated with the compression tool (clockwise/counterclockwise depending in which way its facing), i'm kind of stuck.
I tried some WD40 on the bracket, as well as some more industrial strength penetrant, neither of which had much effect on the bracket.

Does anyone have any suggestions for disconnecting that brake cable in the current circumstance, and / or loosening up the piston of the brake caliper. Thanks in advance.
What exactly is your problem? Your brakes are clamped against the rotor so you can't pull em out? Did you disengage the parking brake? If yes, but it's still stuck, you can disconnect the cables from the lever itself. I'm just not sure if it will be easy though.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by tseng1023
Foglight rewire question...

I followed the shiftice guide to rewire my fogs for my 5.5... I followed all instructions and use the tap in splice or w/e its called. In the end... My headlights and fogs are operatin like normal. Ive searched and searched but i cant find an exact answer to this prolem. Ive triple checked the wires an i cut the right ones. Ill get some pics up but does anyone have an idea on whats wrong here?
What is the problem in your ?5.5?
Old 01-28-2012, 03:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Laevateinn
What exactly is your problem? Your brakes are clamped against the rotor so you can't pull em out? Did you disengage the parking brake? If yes, but it's still stuck, you can disconnect the cables from the lever itself. I'm just not sure if it will be easy though.
The parking cable itself is frozen to the spot where the clip is normally (already removed the clip). Tried Wd40, Triflow, etc to unfreeze it with no effect. Broke a screw driver trying to pry it from that spot. The parking brake is disengaged in the cabin, there is a armature with return spring in the rear that connects to the caliper, normally it just comes straight out no problem. The spring is quarter or 8th inch gauge spring steel with a preload. I've seen springs do some nasty things in high school auto so I didn't mess with that. The piston itself is frozen no amount of twisting, compressing, slight knocking will loosen it from the rotor. I pulled the screws out, so its being completely held to the rotor by the piston. So two problems the caliper is stuck, and the parking brake cable is stuck.

Here's some pictures,
Caliper
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...r/IMAG1249.jpg

Parking Cable that's Stuck
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...r/IMAG1250.jpg

Last edited by dundir; 01-28-2012 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Added Link for Pictures
Old 01-28-2012, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Laevateinn
What is the problem in your ?5.5?
Well bAsically the shiftice directions did not work for me
Old 01-28-2012, 05:49 AM

This wasnt worth making a thread over..I just bought a Timken front Bearing. I am having someone put it in he has his own shop etc..Do I need to buy seals for it? If so can I get a part number or link. Thanks
Old 01-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by tseng1023
Well bAsically the shiftice directions did not work for me
No offense, but you didn't do something right. Post a pic that shows what you did.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

can someone tell me how to remove the light in the wing of a 2000 maxima?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone have the part numbers (or a link) for the OP/DSS axles for a 2001 Maxima SE Auto?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello Guys

I have a gearbox problem
V6 Maxima, 2000, Auto Gearbox

Very simply put, during summer, my gearbox disengages whilst

driving and RPM just goes up like revving engine on 'N'.

Stopping the car for awhile (off) and then back on, the gear

would drive normal for another 5-10 minutes and then it'd

disengage again.

Nissan Dealer doesn't have a clue about it.
Oil & Filter are changed but to no yield.

I have seen alot of articles addressing this problem but not

a single one addressing a solution. Help me

Thanks a bunch.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread