5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:21 AM

head light bulbs

I did a search and could not find what i was looking for. I want to know the differences between bulbs and the numbers, for example 3200k?. I have stock bulbs in now and I want to change them to some blue ones. Can anyone help. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:20 AM
dot dot dot ...

Old 06-19-2010, 04:52 PM

01 SE AT. I had my transmisison replaced with a rebuilt core at 108K. A month ago, at 118K, the transmision slipped out of gear and car revved freely unless I put gear shift in 1. Parked and let it sit for 2 hours, turned it back on, and no problems. One week later, SES light. Took it to my trans guy: Code P0720 output shaft speed sensor circuit. He says "let's clear it and see if it comes back." Now I'm at 119K, and trans just slipped again, and SES light is back on. I will be taking the car back to the trans guy tomorrow. Any suggestions?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Hi:

My 2002 Maxima GLE is lack of power. This started to happen few days ago. When I was going uphill, my GLE didn't seem to pick up speed. It idles fine. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2010, 10:05 PM

Hey all, just picked up a 2003 Maxima GLE earlier this week. I'm 17 years old, it's my first car and I love it, I couldn't have asked for anything better. I work a 9-5, Monday-Friday job for the summer and one thing I've noticed is that when I get out to my car at the end of the day, it is HOT. I'm thinking about getting the windows tinted to help with this and because it would add to the look of the car since it's black. So my question is, anybody know any good places to go for tint in Central PA? Not looking to break the bank too much on this but at the same time I'm looking for somewhere that's going to do a quality job.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by SEMaxima2000
I did a search and could not find what i was looking for. I want to know the differences between bulbs and the numbers, for example 3200k?. I have stock bulbs in now and I want to change them to some blue ones. Can anyone help. Thanks.
so you want our help so you can get headlights that are not only dangerous but illegal
Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 AM

this might be a stupid question. I'm trying to replace my 2002 Maxima GLE rear brake rotors. However, there is a parking brake cable connected to the caliper. My question is, how do I disconnect the cable from the caliper?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
so you want our help so you can get headlights that are not only dangerous but illegal
I didnt mean like solid blue, just with a little bluish tint to them, and I want to know the differences between all the different bulbs and about how much they would cost. I tried searching and google and couldnt find what I was looking for.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:48 PM

Hello Maxima owners. I am just about to buy a 2000 SE Automatic. Car is very clean inside and out. 105000 miles, mostly well maintained.

The transmission has never been serviced, but runs out ok. I ma thinking of having the pan dropped, fluid and filter renewed. Also considering a flush. Good idea?

Also, the car has recently had 2 o2 sensors and the mass airflow sensor replaced.

In addition to the trans flush, I plan to change plugs, alignment, cabin filter, oil change, and have the rotors turned.

Comments please.

Also am considering bailing out of the whole purchase thing due to the horror stories about the ECM, coils, etc- need feedback quickly please.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by jps06011
what is a 17 degree advance?? yeah, laugh it up.
Just a heads up.

If you press and hold the "alt" key and while holding the alt key press on the number pad 0,1,8,6 and that will give you the degree sign like this

17º

Oh number lock has to be on
Here is where I got it from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1252
Old 06-20-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid1
Hello Maxima owners. I am just about to buy a 2000 SE Automatic. Car is very clean inside and out. 105000 miles, mostly well maintained.

The transmission has never been serviced, but runs out ok. I ma thinking of having the pan dropped, fluid and filter renewed. Also considering a flush. Good idea?

Also, the car has recently had 2 o2 sensors and the mass airflow sensor replaced.

In addition to the trans flush, I plan to change plugs, alignment, cabin filter, oil change, and have the rotors turned.

Comments please.

Also am considering bailing out of the whole purchase thing due to the horror stories about the ECM, coils, etc- need feedback quickly please.

I have 150,000 miles on my reciently bought max. I have put 20,000 on it in just a few short months and other than the struts the car has been great. Not one issue. Very happy with it!!!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by SEMaxima2000
I didnt mean like solid blue, just with a little bluish tint to them, and I want to know the differences between all the different bulbs and about how much they would cost. I tried searching and google and couldnt find what I was looking for.
Take a look at hidextra.com

If you are doing a HID conversion, you will want the 9003. They also have a chart showing the different bulb temperatures with the colors they emit. FWIW, I once had the 8k, then the 6k HID's and took them out completely. I was getting flashed by other motorists left and right. I just used the ballasts in my fogs now.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Member needs help with good websites for 2002 maxima

I would like to buy some fog lights for my 2002 maxima. Anyone know or is selling any? Thanks
Old 06-21-2010, 01:13 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by daansore
I would like to buy some fog lights for my 2002 maxima. Anyone know or is selling any? Thanks
entire assembly? or just the bulb?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

AC Vent Removal

is it possible to remove the av vents out of a '97 GLE? I'd like to remove them n paint them a different color.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cat vs Test

I just put an OBX Cat back on my 03 and was looking to change out the cat next. I do not know if I want to get a test pipe (no emissions test to worry about) or just go with a "High Flow" Cat. I am not too worried about the sound, I've just read alot that back both. So, in a simplier form, my question is, what are the pros and cons of each and which do you guys have/prefer?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by theycallmelogie
is it possible to remove the av vents out of a '97 GLE? I'd like to remove them n paint them a different color.
we dont know...this is the 5th gen forum

Originally Posted by Kahafer812
I just put an OBX Cat back on my 03 and was looking to change out the cat next. I do not know if I want to get a test pipe (no emissions test to worry about) or just go with a "High Flow" Cat. I am not too worried about the sound, I've just read alot that back both. So, in a simplier form, my question is, what are the pros and cons of each and which do you guys have/prefer?
just get a test pipe...a "high flow" cat is a waste of money
Old 06-21-2010, 04:54 AM

catalytic converter

can someone tell me the main importance of a catalytic converter because i just got my brakes, brake pads, rotors, oil changes on time, new radiotor, and wanted to know the importance of it. Thanks! (sorry if being reposted)
Old 06-21-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by f.weezy.babii
can someone tell me the main importance of a catalytic converter because i just got my brakes, brake pads, rotors, oil changes on time, new radiotor, and wanted to know the importance of it. Thanks! (sorry if being reposted)
It reduces the amount of harmful gases that exit your engine...which is why most of the time you need 1 (NOT Always though) to pass emissions test. So it's pretty important in that aspect, however is does limit your gains in power since they are so restrictive.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by mchlkwn
this might be a stupid question. I'm trying to replace my 2002 Maxima GLE rear brake rotors. However, there is a parking brake cable connected to the caliper. My question is, how do I disconnect the cable from the caliper?
There's a piece of metal right there with a spring coiled around it. Push that piece towards the front of the car, and the cable will be loose enough to disconnect. Installation is the reverse of removal.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
entire assembly? or just the bulb?
The entire assembly.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:27 PM

Premium Fuel

What's the deal with premium fuel in the Maxima? I skimmed through the owner's manual and saw it said they strongly suggested using premium fuel. I've also seen on the newer Maximas that premium fuel is required. Some other threads on here said that you'll save money with premium because you will get much better gas mileage than you will with regular. Any truth to this? What are your guys' experiences with what type of fuel you use and how it works for you?
Old 06-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Waxima
What's the deal with premium fuel in the Maxima? I skimmed through the owner's manual and saw it said they strongly suggested using premium fuel. I've also seen on the newer Maximas that premium fuel is required. Some other threads on here said that you'll save money with premium because you will get much better gas mileage than you will with regular. Any truth to this? What are your guys' experiences with what type of fuel you use and how it works for you?
I've always found that my Maxima performs better when I put premium fuel versus the regular fuel. Not sure about the difference in mileage. I should probably test that out though.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Waxima
just use what Nissan recomends
Old 06-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No coolant

Hey guys, went to do a routine check and notice no coolant in the tank...should I be worried or add water?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've used premium ever since I first bought my max...used mid ONE time and got crappy gas mileage.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by tdabboud
It reduces the amount of harmful gases that exit your engine...which is why most of the time you need 1 (NOT Always though) to pass emissions test. So it's pretty important in that aspect, however is does limit your gains in power since they are so restrictive.
ok thanks!!! very helpful!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by maximizeme
I've used premium ever since I first bought my max...used mid ONE time and got crappy gas mileage.
same here! its recommended and i see why!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by maximizeme
Hey guys, went to do a routine check and notice no coolant in the tank...should I be worried or add water?
Neither one, yet; just add coolant and keep an eye on the level for the next day or two. Was there any in the radiator?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Battery Relocation

I noticed that Orgullo created a thread back in '07 and provided a write up for doing a battery relocation to make the Injen CAI a "true" CAI. I was wondering if anyone else here had done the same and noticed any differences in performance. Or if I should just get rid of the Injen and go with a Berk, since I've seen a lot of praise for the Berk! Thanks.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sealander
I've always found that my Maxima performs better when I put premium fuel versus the regular fuel. Not sure about the difference in mileage. I should probably test that out though.
I tried that on mine last week. With a similar usage pattern, running on mid-grade on mine drops my mpg from ~28 to ~25. Noticeable.

In terms of dollars, quotes by gasbuddy in my area:

Premium 3.03/gal = 10.82 cents/mile
Mid-grade: 2.91/gal = 11.64 cents/mile

Depending on the spread, one or the other will work out cheaper, but in my case, it's premium.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
I tried that on mine last week. With a similar usage pattern, running on mid-grade on mine drops my mpg from ~28 to ~25. Noticeable.

In terms of dollars, quotes by gasbuddy in my area:

Premium 3.03/gal = 10.82 cents/mile
Mid-grade: 2.91/gal = 11.64 cents/mile

Depending on the spread, one or the other will work out cheaper, but in my case, it's premium.
You would hope that what they suggest for us to use would give us more bang for our buck! Thanks for the results. I will be sticking with the premium!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

02 SE speaker system

Just bought an 02 SE last month (NOT Bose) and was listening to my iPod via tape deck. I was playing music at typical volume (~15) when i turned it up a bit and suddenly the rear speakers cut out. I toggled the fade (F-R) option back and forth, but no luck. The front speakers seem ok but are the OEM speakers in general that weak? Any ideas what, specifically, caused it? I'd appreciate some heftiness in the sound quality. If I get an aftermarket sound system then what would be the best compatible one? Noobie needs help!!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:27 PM

guys please help me out! my lights for my AC are burnt and i need to buy the replacement bulbs for it.. where can i find them?? i also have the little bulb for the lever that adjusts the temperature burnt.. where can i find this bulbs? and could i just do LED plug and play or not?

THANKS!!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sverige
Just bought an 02 SE last month (NOT Bose) and was listening to my iPod via tape deck. I was playing music at typical volume (~15) when i turned it up a bit and suddenly the rear speakers cut out. I toggled the fade (F-R) option back and forth, but no luck. The front speakers seem ok but are the OEM speakers in general that weak? Any ideas what, specifically, caused it? I'd appreciate some heftiness in the sound quality. If I get an aftermarket sound system then what would be the best compatible one? Noobie needs help!!
Had the same problem with mine years years and years ago. Replaced the speakers with aftermarkets and things were fine after. OEM Speakers= FTL
Old 06-23-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by pepox369
guys please help me out! my lights for my AC are burnt and i need to buy the replacement bulbs for it.. where can i find them?? i also have the little bulb for the lever that adjusts the temperature burnt.. where can i find this bulbs? and could i just do LED plug and play or not?

THANKS!!!!
Bulbs are part #: 27545-1W600 (go to dealership).

Don't know much about LEDs, so I can't help ya there. But, I do know a few people here have done LED mods. Have you tried searching?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Bulbs are part #: 27545-1W600 (go to dealership).

Don't know much about LEDs, so I can't help ya there. But, I do know a few people here have done LED mods. Have you tried searching?
thanks for the part number!! i did search but nothing that actually showed the stock bulbs..

imma try to see the if i can find led mods
Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 AM

oh and another thing.. i dont even know how to name the light bulb that goes on the lever for the manual temperature change.. any hints there?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:14 PM

2000 maxima cat back exhaust/test pipe/ headers help

i just brought headers and cat back exhaust, is it necessary to have a test pipe/down pipe. new to this not sure what is what.does the test pipe replace cat convertor. please help
Old 06-24-2010, 04:13 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by toobfrank
i just brought headers and cat back exhaust, is it necessary to have a test pipe/down pipe. new to this not sure what is what.does the test pipe replace cat convertor. please help
a test pipe goes between the headers and catback and replaces the cat...but since the headers replace the precats, if you install a test pipe you will have nothing and fail inspection

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread