5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 07:24 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by SE My 6sp
have an 03 SE HLSD with an Ctutch Masters stage 2 i believe (brought it modded) and an Injen Intake. I was running an 01 Acura CL Type S (auto) and i couldn't seem to get a good launch on him and i kept getting locked out of 2nd gear .I've only had this car for a couple of months and i really dont thrash on it. Any suggestions an how to get a good launch in these cars.
you said you were running this CL at the track, correct?

you got locked out of 2nd gear because...you need to do it a bit slower.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Ezreggie
Hi, I'm new on here and can't post any threads. I recently bought a 2003 Maxima SE. Love the car but not the tail lights. I've seen some pics on here of smoked tails. I really like the look of them. Is this an aftermarket product or a DIY application. I've been checking everywhere on the web and Can't find these. Anybody know where to get some? Thanks for your input.
buy the tails from here (cheapest place) - http://www.atozautolights.com/About_us.asp
buy the correct harness from davb (info in stickies.)

result on an 02/03

Old 06-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info, I am actually looking for ones like in this picture.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=521601

3rd post down. Any one know about these?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys,

New here so of course thats why I am in this thread. I have a 01 Maxima GLE. I recently replaced the stock Bose HU with an aftermarket one (thanks to the Audio forum). Anyway in the process I was using the voltmeter to test some things out and accidentally shorted one of the probes on the cig lighter blowing the fuse. I figured no big deal replaced fuse cig lighter has power again. Wrong, I now have no dome lights, door lights, visor lights. The power locks and the trunk pop only work with the key on. The key light does not work. When I flip the visor down intead of the light coming on, it makes the door/trunk open light on the dash come on. Same with the Garage door button, makes the dash door/trunk light come on when pushed and no longer opens my garage door. My key remote no longer works as well. I did searching here first and my initial thought is its the BCM. I guess I am just looking for some other people to verify that for me. I have checked all fuses under the dash and under the hood. I don't know if the fuse popping caused this to happen or if maybe something I wired up in the radio did it. I did have to make a ground for the radio as the one on the adapter to the factory harness didn't seem to work. So the ground from the factory radio harness is not hooked up to anything. Maybe this causes some sort of open in the system? It just seems weird that the trunk pop and power locks work with the key on, but not when the key is off. No trunk light either. Also there was a third plug in my radio that didn't get used when I did the HU swap out. Anyone know what the third plug could be? Maybe the steering wheel controls?

So if I do need a new BCM is Ebay the way to go? I take it has to match my car perfectly number wise? I can't just buy any BCM for 00-02? I don't know a ton about this car, but I am a bit of a car guy so I definately can dive in and check out anything you guys think I should check.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Forgot to mention that I did have to replace the old *** battery as well after draining it down keeping the doors and trunk open for 5 hours as well playing the HU and the headrest LCD's without the car running. Car wouldn't start, I jump it ran fine. Drove for 3 hours on a trip. Wouldn't start next time either, so new battery went in.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ezreggie
Thanks for the info, I am actually looking for ones like in this picture.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=521601

3rd post down. Any one know about these?

Those are sprayed over you buy this stuff called nightshade/nightshades and you just basically spray paint your stock 02-03 tails till they get darker the more coats you put one the darker they will be.
http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_vi...?idProduct=733 this is the stuff just do some more searching and you could maybe find it at a local shop for less
Old 06-12-2007, 03:43 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Tragikcomic
Hey guys,

New here so of course thats why I am in this thread. I have a 01 Maxima GLE. I recently replaced the stock Bose HU with an aftermarket one (thanks to the Audio forum). Anyway in the process I was using the voltmeter to test some things out and accidentally shorted one of the probes on the cig lighter blowing the fuse. I figured no big deal replaced fuse cig lighter has power again. Wrong, I now have no dome lights, door lights, visor lights. The power locks and the trunk pop only work with the key on. The key light does not work. When I flip the visor down intead of the light coming on, it makes the door/trunk open light on the dash come on. Same with the Garage door button, makes the dash door/trunk light come on when pushed and no longer opens my garage door. My key remote no longer works as well. I did searching here first and my initial thought is its the BCM. I guess I am just looking for some other people to verify that for me. I have checked all fuses under the dash and under the hood. I don't know if the fuse popping caused this to happen or if maybe something I wired up in the radio did it. I did have to make a ground for the radio as the one on the adapter to the factory harness didn't seem to work. So the ground from the factory radio harness is not hooked up to anything. Maybe this causes some sort of open in the system? It just seems weird that the trunk pop and power locks work with the key on, but not when the key is off. No trunk light either. Also there was a third plug in my radio that didn't get used when I did the HU swap out. Anyone know what the third plug could be? Maybe the steering wheel controls?

So if I do need a new BCM is Ebay the way to go? I take it has to match my car perfectly number wise? I can't just buy any BCM for 00-02? I don't know a ton about this car, but I am a bit of a car guy so I definately can dive in and check out anything you guys think I should check.

Thanks.
You should ask in the audio/ICE forum here....

A few things:

1. You really should have the battery unplugged when doing electrical things.

2. Did you get the PAC adaptor? Your bose speakers work on 2 ohm frequency, whereas aftermarket HUs use 4 ohm....
Old 06-12-2007, 04:05 PM

Nice pic irish44J. I love the wheels.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:07 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Dennis'Maxima
Nice pic irish44J. I love the wheels.
thx...............i feel honored that you've been on here for almost 3 YEARS and one of your TEN posts was to tell me that
Old 06-13-2007, 05:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by irish44j
You should ask in the audio/ICE forum here....

A few things:

1. You really should have the battery unplugged when doing electrical things.

2. Did you get the PAC adaptor? Your bose speakers work on 2 ohm frequency, whereas aftermarket HUs use 4 ohm....
Well I considered that, but the radio actually works just fine. I used the Metra 7551 kit to hook it all up to the Pre-outs on my radio. I figured this was more of an electrical issue, but you might be right. Maybe the audio forum is where all of the electrical gurus hang out. This just seemed like the right place to post this since it said "NOOB" real big on it.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:05 PM

bump to first page
Old 06-14-2007, 03:02 PM

Question, I am installing a wideband o2 and was wondering where I should run it into the cabin...through the firewall. But where? Are there any holes or do I have to drill one. Where should i drill?

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have one question i have a 2001 maxima and my brother has a 97 maxima..both se..i was wondering if the struts would fit?...front and rear?..
Old 06-15-2007, 04:21 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by allday850
i have one question i have a 2001 maxima and my brother has a 97 maxima..both se..i was wondering if the struts would fit?...front and rear?..
i believe they have the same part#'s....hopefully someone can confirm this.
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/Niss...14_vy-2002.htm
Old 06-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the reply...i just didnt want to take the time and pull it out and then put it back that would take a couple of days!! and also i just purchased an o2 sensor for the back of the cat bank 2 and i didnt get the harness with it ...if someone could help me on figuring it out on the wiring it would be great..
Old 06-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Tragikcomic
Hey guys,

Thanks.
So I've rechecked all of the fuses again. All good. I pulled out the radio put the stock one back in. Still have the same problem. I guess I will look for a relay or maybe a circuit breaker that could've gone bad. This definately is going to be hard to track down at this point I think. Anyone have any suggestions at all??
Old 06-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Getting SS brake and clutch lines, what company do I go with and where can I buy them, thank you.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:46 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by MetalBlueMaxx
Getting SS brake and clutch lines, what company do I go with and where can I buy them, thank you.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=29750
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/default.htm
Old 06-17-2007, 05:08 PM

Although im not a nooby it has been a LOOOONNNGG time since i was here but seeing the new look of the site and checking around i figure i should just clarify what i need

currently relative got a 2k SE , now i know i need to worry about coils but from what i see the gray dot version should be the replacement and are least likely to fail again right...ok now i know about the Maf and need the updated green dot one so thats covered .....now is there ANYTHING else i should worry about that are faulty like the maf and coils or is everything else just regular maintence

now for the important stuff
alright now are the cheap leather seat covers on ebay for $39 any good " yeah i know they are cheap so what to expect but maybe by chance someone bought them and thought they are good " , or what is a good alternative that wont break the wallet say under 300, if i find seats from another maxima which years are direct swap with matching electronics 2k 2k1 2k2 etc
Old 06-17-2007, 05:13 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 93 SE

:
alright now are the cheap leather seat covers on ebay for $39 any good "
They're about as good as a $12.99 Leather jacket, i would imagine.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Leather requires alot of care, and will still crack anyway. I would go with a good velour cover. No maintenance and you wont slide around in your seat either.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 PM

Hey there I got a couple of questions for you guys. I just bought a 2002 SE with the bose 6 disc and a bunch of other options. Of course I'm getting the "No audio in the left channel" issue. I have read about a guy in So Cal that repairs these does anyone have a name or number? For what I have searched for I have only gotten the "this guy in So Cal" as an answer. Does anyone know what the issue with the HU is? Or is it just an "experts only" fix?

Also when hitting the brakes or sometimes in turns I get a clunk from what seems to be the left (passenger) side rear. anyone know what the hell that is? An altima that I had the day before had the same issue too.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:59 PM

is there much of a difference in heat if you get the windshield tinted at the top strip? I have tint on the sides and rear, and think it might help a bit to get that top strip tinted? anyone have any insight?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:08 PM

will these work in a 2k foglight? i ask this because it specifies that it is a STAGE II foglight. yet the draw wattage is the same as other ones. let me know what ya think?

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=361
Old 06-18-2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by GigEmAgs07
is there much of a difference in heat if you get the windshield tinted at the top strip? I have tint on the sides and rear, and think it might help a bit to get that top strip tinted? anyone have any insight?
In previous vehicles I have had the "Sun strip" typically helps cut glare especially when the sun is low on the horizon. Typically what helps with heat is having a light color on your car and UV resistant film on the windows. My white Bronco with limo semi-reflective tint on the rear windows and 40% gray on the front usually stays much cooler than others with either no tint or dark colors.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:53 PM
retired moderator

will these work in a 2k foglight? i ask this because it specifies that it is a STAGE II foglight. yet the draw wattage is the same as other ones. let me know what ya think?

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=361
It's all marketing.

The light can not put out more power than it draws. That is the bottom line. Alot of companies say that (PIAA, in particular). Comparisons have been done. Light output is the same as any other 55w bulb.

Cliffs: don't waste your money.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:18 PM

how do i search for used IACV from car-part.com. They don't have the exact name or something similar.

thx
Old 06-18-2007, 06:25 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by choopster
how do i search for used IACV from car-part.com. They don't have the exact name or something similar.

thx
generally you'll probably have to buy it as part of the throttle body assembly. Unlikely they'd remove it and sell seperately.

I would look for a yard where you can pick your own parts and pray for a 5th gen that's not already stripped.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
It's all marketing.

The light can not put out more power than it draws. That is the bottom line. Alot of companies say that (PIAA, in particular). Comparisons have been done. Light output is the same as any other 55w bulb.

Cliffs: don't waste your money.
Irish...Is that a 'don't waste your money' cause they will melt my junk, or a 'don't waste your money' cause you don't like it?

I'm not terribly concerned about light output, but i love the way the headlights look and think it would look slick to have those fogs to match them. If you think they're safe, i'll prolly get them. if you don't, i won't.

thanks irish.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 PM
retired moderator

Irish...Is that a 'don't waste your money' cause they will melt my junk, or a 'don't waste your money' cause you don't like it?

I'm not terribly concerned about light output, but i love the way the headlights look and think it would look slick to have those fogs to match them. If you think they're safe, i'll prolly get them. if you don't, i won't.

thanks irish.
I meant don't waste your money if you think the light output will be improved (it won't).

If you're buying them for color...that's your choice.

I don't think they'll hurt the electrical system, if that's what you mean....but I also don't think they'll last as long as some other bulbs.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

quick question, probably been discussed hundreds of times: where and how can i get my ecu reprogrammed so my maf will stop messing up? if nobody knows that, where can i buy a new maf for a 2k SE?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:51 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by thomasskull666
quick question, probably been discussed hundreds of times: where and how can i get my ecu reprogrammed so my maf will stop messing up? if nobody knows that, where can i buy a new maf for a 2k SE?

Call DaveB 888-254-6060 ask for Burnette
Old 06-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Bufflomike
Call DaveB 888-254-6060 ask for Burnette
who is this DaveB and where does he live?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by thomasskull666
who is this DaveB and where does he live?

Dave B works at a Nissan dealer in Texas I think but he gives org members the best price on all these replacement parts. Just do what I said and you wil be happy.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

5th gen Maxima problem

00 Maixma SE; 117K+

Dealership said check engine code gave "lean fuel" reading. They changed spark plugs and done nothing else. Problem still persists. Engine check light is not on however.

The problem is that it feels like there is a hesitation or miss in the engine. I doubt it would be the transmission since the code read "lean fuel". It shifts smooth, but sometimes feels like at 70-80mph that it loses power and the rpms rev like it in neutral. It doesn't accelerate as well as it used to. I am currently running fuel injector cleaner on this tank of gas. Could it be an 02 sensor problem? Cat converter stinks after long drive (I drive 140 miles a day to and from work).

Any suggestions before I pay this dealership more money and have to sell a kidney?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:34 AM

Have your fuel filter changed. It may be clogged. Also have the fuel system pressure tested. If you can have an independant mechanic check that. I'm sure someone around here will have the correct numbers for fuel pressure.

Also I have read here that sometimes the EGR (Exhaust Gas Return) valve gets clogged which can cause something like this. Basically the engine expects some exhaust gas to re enter the engine and therefore does not give the engine as much fuel as it would expect.

One thing you have to understand about dealerships is on more critical issues like that they have the new guys working on them. There is not enough profit for the experianced guys. Also dealerships tend to have the customer throw money and parts at the problem instead of fixing the problem.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:49 AM

How many Maxima owners have noticed that your rear badging (i.e. MAXIMA and SE or GLE) were not aligned properly at the factory? When I purchased mine back in 2002 I had to replace the MAXIMA on the back (did it myself) but it was slanted to the left...the installer probably a bit too much Saki the night before. In any event, after I installed it (perfectly level)...it took nearly 5 years to notice that it didn't line up with the "SE" side (SE emblem was now a quarter inch lower than the MAXIMA)...so last night I replaced the SE emblem with a new one ($37 from the dealership).
Bottom Line: Are they using anything but the Mark 1 Mod Zero Eyeball at the factory to install these emblems?

BTW my Maxima '02 has a grand total of 12K miles on her...you can see that I rarely drive her...hence not noticing the rear badging problem.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by Mark S.
How many Maxima owners have noticed that your rear badging (i.e. MAXIMA and SE or GLE) were not aligned properly at the factory? When I purchased mine back in 2002 I had to replace the MAXIMA on the back (did it myself) but it was slanted to the left...the installer probably a bit too much Saki the night before. In any event, after I installed it (perfectly level)...it took nearly 5 years to notice to that it didn't line up with the "SE" side (SE emblem was now a quarter inch lower than the MAXIMA)...so last night I replaced the SE emblem with a new one ($37 from the dealership).
Bottom Line: Are they using anything but the Mark 1 Mod Zero Eyeball at the factory to install these emblems?
Most of the serious .orgers debadge their emblems. Should look through the picture thread and see. I bet 50% of the modders have debadged or changed their badges to something else.

If that is your biggest problem on a car you have had for almost 6 years...I would be pleased.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:53 AM

Mike...you're right...so far (of course the mileage is low), but I haven't had any major problems...but I'm a stickler for details...and if the badging isn't right, then who knows about the installer who's putting the engine together. I personally like the badging...I like to let others know what I'm driving...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Froggmann
Have your fuel filter changed. It may be clogged. Also have the fuel system pressure tested. If you can have an independant mechanic check that. I'm sure someone around here will have the correct numbers for fuel pressure.

Also I have read here that sometimes the EGR (Exhaust Gas Return) valve gets clogged which can cause something like this. Basically the engine expects some exhaust gas to re enter the engine and therefore does not give the engine as much fuel as it would expect.

One thing you have to understand about dealerships is on more critical issues like that they have the new guys working on them. There is not enough profit for the experianced guys. Also dealerships tend to have the customer throw money and parts at the problem instead of fixing the problem.
I appreciate your feedback. Any idea what type of cost would be associated with all of that? I already got duped by the dealer for $211 just for a diagnostics check and 6 platnium plugs getting changed. I dont want to keep replacing stuff until its fixed. I'll be a few thousand in debt if I o that. I am the "fix it when it breaks" type, not "fix something until the problem goes away" type. So an o2 sensor probably wouldnt be my first thing to address then? With a "lean fuel" code, what order should I start checking stuff? i.e. fuel filter, pressure, etc.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread