5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:42 PM

How do I remove my back seats and passenger's seat on my 00' max?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have Question about Engine Noise???

I have 03 Maxima with 33,000 miles. When the car is cold, there's no noise, but when it get to normal tempeture I hear noise, like small "particles" in my engine. It's not very loud and it's not very quite, I can hear it when I turn the music off and it particularly happens when I drive and it's over 2,000 RPMs.
Anybody have an idea of what it might be?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by TeH BawNeY
unbolt them

the rear seat bottom comes out easy. there are tabs in the front on either side. pop those...seat comes out.
other have to be unbolted....not to hard to figure out
Old 11-08-2007, 06:09 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Originally Posted by TeH BawNeY
Like Sooner said there are two tabs on the back seats that you have to pull towards you. It will pop the seat bottom up. After you remove the bottom seat you'll see the bolts holding the back rest down. Lay the back rest down and pull that flap up. You will see the bolts there too. Also, the sides come off separately. You will have to take out the bolt on the bottom which holds it in place.

As for the front seat, slide it all the way back first. You can see the mounting points where the seat bolts to the floor. Slide the seat all the way forward, remove the little plastic cover you you'll see the four bolts. Remove those, lift up on the seat and undo the electrical clip. You can then take out the seat. The best way is to push the seat forward by the back rest then pull it towards you and lift it out.

You'll see how to do once you get in there.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:11 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Originally Posted by sirus444
I have 03 Maxima with 33,000 miles. When the car is cold, there's no noise, but when it get to normal tempeture I hear noise, like small "particles" in my engine. It's not very loud and it's not very quite, I can hear it when I turn the music off and it particularly happens when I drive and it's over 2,000 RPMs.
Anybody have an idea of what it might be?

Thanks
common problem. Knock sensor, spark plug knock, timing chain clatter, hmm... I only run 93 octane and it seldomly happens. Run 93 with a octane booster and see if it still does it. Sounds silly using the **** but it relieved my pinging.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Orgullo
common problem. Knock sensor, spark plug knock, timing chain clatter, hmm... I only run 93 octane and it seldomly happens. Run 93 with a octane booster and see if it still does it. Sounds silly using the **** but it relieved my pinging.
I'll try using 93 Octane next week when I'm running low on gas. I just fill my gas tank. My brother suggested using it, but I don't know if it's going to solve the problem. I bought oil filter magnet, and I'll install sometimes next week, when I'm running low on fuel. So, I'll install oil filter and put it 93 octane at the same time and see what happens.
Also, my brother said it could be timing it off, but I don't know about it. I'll see next week what happens when I put in 93 octane fuel.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey all,

short question : Where can I find cleared sidemarkers (front ones) for my 02 max ? Custommaxima.com doesn't seem to still have them and after the use of the search function, the only place listed was that one.

Thanks a lot,
Tond

Last edited by Tondeuse; 11-08-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:00 AM

Alright, thanks guys.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tondeuse
Hey all,

short question : Where can I find cleared sidemarkers (front ones) for my 02 max ? Custommaxima.com doesn't seem to still have them and after the use of the search function, the only place listed was that one.

Thanks a lot,
Tond
Try eBay, although the quality/fit can be iffy, from what I've heard around here.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:38 AM

i have no clue how to operate the forum with this new change they've done SO if you could just PM me the responses i'd appreciate it

my car is throwing he P1320 code, ignition signal, what exactly is the problem, kinda a vague code

also, whenever i crank my car it dies, it will keep doing this till i rev it, once i rev it right after cranking it won't die
Old 11-09-2007, 08:15 AM
WSH for teh cup

Originally Posted by ghostridden
i have no clue how to operate the forum with this new change they've done SO if you could just PM me the responses i'd appreciate it

my car is throwing he P1320 code, ignition signal, what exactly is the problem, kinda a vague code

also, whenever i crank my car it dies, it will keep doing this till i rev it, once i rev it right after cranking it won't die
P1320 is a coil misfire code. replace your coils with updated ones from Dave B
Old 11-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tire Pressure

What is the recommended tire pressure for an '01 Maxima SE?

I tried the tire pressure link in the "Frequently Asked" sticky however it leads to another thread regarding a meet.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 AM

32 psi all around. The placard is under the armrest (the only car I've ever owned that wasn't on the drivers door sill).
Old 11-09-2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Try eBay, although the quality/fit can be iffy, from what I've heard around here.
thanks for the fast reply !

What if I spray my sidemarkers with a light layer of silver paint, juste like some did with black paint, do you think it can look good and still blink orange ?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 PM
WSH for teh cup

Originally Posted by Tondeuse
thanks for the fast reply !

What if I spray my sidemarkers with a light layer of silver paint, juste like some did with black paint, do you think it can look good and still blink orange ?
eh.... thats an opinionated question and IMO, just do a light shade of niteshade or do a tint overlay
Old 11-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Ricfutures
What is the recommended tire pressure for an '01 Maxima SE?

I tried the tire pressure link in the "Frequently Asked" sticky however it leads to another thread regarding a meet.
its in your owners manual...and on the sticker under your armrest
Old 11-09-2007, 09:01 PM

would the coils cause it to crank and die everytime unless i rev the motor?? once i rev it it won't die but if i just crank it it'll die immediately
Old 11-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Cletus

would the coils cause it to crank and die everytime unless i rev the motor?? once i rev it it won't die but if i just crank it it'll die immediately
low idle
Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 PM

well its not had this problem until a month ago, it idles around 8 hundred, when it first cranks it'll go up to about 1.5k then just straight back down, is it possible if the ignition coils are going bad its flooding itself? cause as i said all i have to do is touch the gas peddle right after cranking it and it won't die, if it helps any i replaced the MAF back around february cause it would lose power at 3.5k RPMS but right after that a coil went bad, i'm thinking its still got 3-4 factory coils in it (i've replaced one and i am not sure how many the previous owner replaced but his receipts show only 1 also)
Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 PM

well its not had this problem until a month ago, it idles around 8 hundred, when it first cranks it'll go up to about 1.5k then just straight back down, is it possible if the ignition coils are going bad its flooding itself? cause as i said all i have to do is touch the gas peddle right after cranking it and it won't die, if it helps any i replaced the MAF back around february cause it would lose power at 3.5k RPMS but right after that a coil went bad, i'm thinking its still got 3-4 factory coils in it (i've replaced one and i am not sure how many the previous owner replaced but his receipts show only 1 also)
does it do this everytime, or only after the car has sat overnight? It may be fuel related (fuel pump or gummed up filter).
Old 11-09-2007, 10:39 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

I'll try using 93 Octane next week when I'm running low on gas.
When Nissan says "Premium Fuel Recommended for Maximum Performance" they should have said "Premium Fuel Only." Maxima VQ's are designed to run on 91+. You should only use 87/89 if you have no alternative (i.e. the gas station can't pump 91+ because they ran out). Otherwise, your ECU is just having a hay-day trying to retard the ignition timing to keep knock away.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:40 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by Ricfutures
Replace "showthread" with "oldthread" in the address bar and hit Enter. It should take you to what you are looking for.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by merlin2375
does it do this everytime, or only after the car has sat overnight? It may be fuel related (fuel pump or gummed up filter).
well before it'd just do it when it had sat for a while and was cold, now it does it everytime, even after i've driven it, i can stop, turn it off, and crank it up and it will do it
Old 11-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by aksansai
When Nissan says "Premium Fuel Recommended for Maximum Performance" they should have said "Premium Fuel Only." Maxima VQ's are designed to run on 91+. You should only use 87/89 if you have no alternative (i.e. the gas station can't pump 91+ because they ran out). Otherwise, your ECU is just having a hay-day trying to retard the ignition timing to keep knock away.

Yeah you right, that's what it says on the Fuel Door in every Maxima. I didn't know that I need to use ONLY 91+, so I used 87, well not always, but most of the time.
By the way if I still use 87, will my engine die on me or will there be any effects if I use only 87 octane?
Old 11-10-2007, 11:10 AM

Yeah you right, that's what it says on the Fuel Door in every Maxima. I didn't know that I need to use ONLY 91+, so I used 87, well not always, but most of the time.
By the way if I still use 87, will my engine die on me or will there be any effects if I use only 87 octane?
won't run as good and not good on your injectors either
Old 11-10-2007, 11:40 AM

Remember that even if you don't NOTICE any differences right away, that doesn't mean you won't have long term problems down the road. Besides, now that gas is a little more expensive, the relative difference between regular and premium has shrunk. For example:

Back when regular gas was $1.00 and premium was $1.20, you were paying 20% more for premium

Now if regular gas is $3.00 and premium is $3.20, you pay ~7% more for premium.

That's how I convince myself, anyway
Old 11-10-2007, 02:30 PM

Creaking/groaning from suspension?

My max is low-pitch creak/groan when going downhill and turning or when driving off of a parkade ramp down a level, and rarely just going over bumps. Any ideas what it could be? (I've got a 2001 GLE /w 120,000km).

I've checked all the stickies and searched quite a bit, but I couldn't find anything.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by AaronL
My max is low-pitch creak/groan when going downhill and turning or when driving off of a parkade ramp down a level, and rarely just going over bumps. Any ideas what it could be? (I've got a 2001 GLE /w 120,000km).

I've checked all the stickies and searched quite a bit, but I couldn't find anything.
It might be the suspensions itself. Did you change front struts? If not that might be it.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

03 Maxima Coilover Question?

I just got coilovers for my maxima and my question is how can I make my wheels be straight and not side ways, because it's going to wear my tires out. I saw some of the pictures and when people change wheels or lower their cars the wheels need to be straight so it doesn't wear tires of one side.

Can somebody tell me what I need to buy and Where can I get it to make my wheels straigt?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2007, 04:26 PM

alignment

I just got coilovers for my maxima and my question is how can I make my wheels be straight and not side ways, because it's going to wear my tires out. I saw some of the pictures and when people change wheels or lower their cars the wheels need to be straight so it doesn't wear tires of one side.

Can somebody tell me what I need to buy and Where can I get it to make my wheels straigt?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2007, 04:29 PM

I measured the width of my car from right wheel to left wheel. the front and back are different. front is ~69.5 inches and the back is ~68.3. Should there be any difference?
Is there any adjustments I need to do?
(I used to have 2000 Maxima GXE 15X6 stock steel wheels (no info on offset) and NOW I have 18X7.5 6th gen. Maxima alloys offset=40)

My stock steel wheel I used to have with 205/65/15 tire weighted 39.0 lbs. The current one (6th gen.) I have with 245/45/18 tire weights 53.4 lbs.
I'm considering to get a Eibach springs all around and do some shock upgrade. But I really want to get shocks and springs that can handle the extra weight of the tires. Is there anyone who has wheels and tires that weight about as much as mine and what kind of shocks and springs (and other parts) you use?
What other upgrades should I be looking at due to the increased weight of the tires?
Old 11-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chandmx
alignment
Alignment did not help. When I went to do the alignment, the guy that was doing it said it was too low, which it was only 2" lower than stock. Another thing is that I went to several shop and they said the same thing. So, I gave up on alignment. I think there's something else than alignment. Lot's of guy lower their rides as much as 3" and their wheels are straight in some cases there wheels are more than straight, it's almost like this \--/ compare to /--\.

Need more Help on that.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by AaronL

Check this thread out, you will probably find the answer there.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=543420
Old 11-10-2007, 05:41 PM

It might be the suspensions itself. Did you change front struts? If not that might be it.
Nope, they're still original. What's the expected lifetime of the OEM struts?
Old 11-10-2007, 05:47 PM

look for different types of alignment kits. I think there are many after-market ones that are more adjustable than the stock ones.

I don't know the English term for /--\ but it's sometimes used for better handling in sports, and no doubt it burns out tires faster.

Alignment did not help. When I went to do the alignment, the guy that was doing it said it was too low, which it was only 2" lower than stock. Another thing is that I went to several shop and they said the same thing. So, I gave up on alignment. I think there's something else than alignment. Lot's of guy lower their rides as much as 3" and their wheels are straight in some cases there wheels are more than straight, it's almost like this \--/ compare to /--\.

Need more Help on that.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Cletus

camber
Old 11-10-2007, 06:02 PM

will this fit an auto 5th gen

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISMO...spagenameZWDVW
Old 11-10-2007, 06:09 PM

P0171 - Fuel Injection System Too Lean (Bank 1)

Can somebody explain this to me thru pm. Im a noob here.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:10 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

You gave a classic example of what happens by combining low octane fuel in a motor that is tuned for higher octane fuel. The little ticking noises is the computer keeping the ignition retarded to the hairy edge of full-blown knock. Combine the fact that since the fire from the spark isn't nearly at the heat it should be to fully burn up the atomized fuel (hence, the retarded ignition), you're probably leaving nice sooty carbon deposits in your combustion chamber, the valve heads, the exhaust manifold, etc. The more this soot builds up, the more degraded your engine performance will be and its emission management capability. And, it also increases the effective compression ratio, thus putting the low octane fuel in greater danger of pre-ignition combustion...

If you need a car that wants to burn regular gas, trade in your Maxima for one that accepts regular.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:13 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by s2kver02
P0171 - Fuel Injection System Too Lean (Bank 1)

Can somebody explain this to me thru pm. Im a noob here.
Despite what the computer thinks is supposed to be the fuel/air ratio, it's wrong and is running too lean (meaning not enough fuel for the air that's coming into Bank 1 [half your cylinders]). Running an engine too lean for an extended period of time burns it up since lean condition means ultra hot. Recall, gasoline serves the purpose of fuel for the combustion process. It is also a very effective top end lubricant and coolant for the heat of the previous ignition cycle.

When I had this code (yes, the very same one), it was the MAF that was doing it for me (and apparently quite a few other Org'ers). Check out: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=538422 for our most recent discussion on this topic.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread