5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:29 AM

the reason i notice this is b/c i was driving my cousin's 2001 Toyota Camry and it seems much more quiet than my 2001 maxima.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:50 AM

Thanks aksansai.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:46 AM
WSH for teh cup

Originally Posted by fuctkeen
I have my windows closed when i'm driving. the noise in the cabin is louder than usual when i am driving. It's more noticeable when i'm on the highway (probably b/c i'm driving faster).

When idling or on "park", it is quiet. When i open the hood to listen to the engine, it seems normal.

Could it be bad transmission fluid?
Does the sound seem to be coming from your sunroof or rear windows? Those are some typical 'problem areas'. Look on this site and there is a fix for both the sunroof and rear window molding.

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/index.html
Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 AM

Auto power seat

I recently purchased a 2002 SE with the power seat memory option. How do you get the seat to automatically move back when you open the door. I have the 6 speed manual transmission. Does this feature work with the manual. I have the button on the dash for auto mode or cancel but it never seems to work, even in auto mode. Please let me know if there is some trick to this.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

/\/\ I think the e-brake has to be up or something like that, it's probably in the manual
Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by merlin2375
/\/\ I think the e-brake has to be up or something like that, it's probably in the manual
Yeah I've tried messing with the e-brake and everything. Nothing seems to work. I'm hoping someone with a manual will chime in and tell me if the auto feature works at all or if only the memory select buttons work. It seems odd to have a switch to cancel auto mode if it doesn't work though.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:00 AM

Download it. http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...?dept%5Fid=201
Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
Thanks, but I have the manual that came with the car. I read it through a couple of times. But, I just can't things to function properly. The manual isn't much help since it says the car has to be in park for the feature to work. Obviously, it is written with the auto tranny in mind. They don't go into much more detail for the manual.

Or did I miss something else on the linked page?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle00
Does the sound seem to be coming from your sunroof or rear windows? Those are some typical 'problem areas'. Look on this site and there is a fix for both the sunroof and rear window molding.

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/index.html
I'm sorry for the confusion. It seems to me that the sound is coming from the engine, but i'm hearing it from the cabin as i am driving/accelerating.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2007, 12:02 PM
WSH for teh cup

I'm sorry for the confusion. It seems to me that the sound is coming from the engine, but i'm hearing it from the cabin as i am driving/accelerating.

Thanks
hmm.. Is it any sound in particular? If its just general, normal engine noise there's nothing to really do about that. It couls be that your friend's car is just a naturally quiter engine
Old 11-13-2007, 12:15 PM

it just seems louder than when i first started driving this car. i bought this car about 2 years ago.

the noise is general.

i will try to foam the rear windows and see if that helps.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:10 PM

okay i didnt want to start a new thread about this but i was reading housecor's how to on the fog light rewire and i had a quick question. do the two wires sticking out of the relays get spliced together or am i confusiing something?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:20 PM
WSH for teh cup

Originally Posted by nk2k2
okay i didnt want to start a new thread about this but i was reading housecor's how to on the fog light rewire and i had a quick question. do the two wires sticking out of the relays get spliced together or am i confusiing something?
Good choice for not starting a thread. You cut the wire from the fog relay (described in the how-to) and quick splice it to the tail light wire
Old 11-13-2007, 02:24 PM
WSH for teh cup

it just seems louder than when i first started driving this car. i bought this car about 2 years ago.

the noise is general.

i will try to foam the rear windows and see if that helps.
maybe its in your head. As long as you have kept up with the routine matinence and everything it should be fine. If it were a distinct sound... then there could be a possible way to diagnose it
Old 11-13-2007, 02:43 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by Fargo
I recently purchased a 2002 SE with the power seat memory option. How do you get the seat to automatically move back when you open the door. I have the 6 speed manual transmission. Does this feature work with the manual. I have the button on the dash for auto mode or cancel but it never seems to work, even in auto mode. Please let me know if there is some trick to this.

That feature is only available on automatics not 6-speeds.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by maximadave
That feature is only available on automatics not 6-speeds.

Thank you, I wondered about that, but since they had the cancel button I thought it must work. Guess not. Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:47 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by Fargo
Thank you, I wondered about that, but since they had the cancel button I thought it must work. Guess not. Thanks again.
When you press the cancel button, you can't switch between preset 1 and 2 on the seat settings, the auto feature allows you to.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by maximadave
When you press the cancel button, you can't switch between preset 1 and 2 on the seat settings, the auto feature allows you to.
OK. Well at least it does something. Too bad the seat won't move like it does in the automatics, that would have been nice. They should have just hooked it up to the handbrake sensor instead of being in park, then they could have kept the feature in the manuals as well. But I'm sure some lawyer somewhere had some liability reason for not allowing that feature.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle00
Good choice for not starting a thread. You cut the wire from the fog relay (described in the how-to) and quick splice it to the tail light wire
the taillight wire coming out of the relay?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:45 PM
WSH for teh cup

Originally Posted by nk2k2
the taillight wire coming out of the relay?
From the site:
Use quick splice to splice the fog wire you just stripped to the taillight wire (red with green stripe and silver spots)
Old 11-13-2007, 04:43 PM

hell yes, quick-splice is a must...do not do it unless you have a quick splice because the wires have almost no play at all to work with as far as cutting and stripping goes....
Old 11-13-2007, 07:59 PM

Is there any other headers out there besides Cattman, Stillen and OBX for the 3.5??
Old 11-13-2007, 11:03 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by nebojsa_o
Thank you. I was hoping someone said something. Yes, it's been parked since I heard the noise, so I'm not driving like that. I will lift it up again today, and try to pinpoint what's the problem. I read that 9-3 movement is tierod, and 12-6 is ball joint, and both of them are wheel bearing. Is this correct?? I didn't know that was a testing method so I didn't pay attention which was it was moving. I'll let you know what happens... Thanks again.
Read my thread here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=544400

It would seem that the bearing and hub is a common trouble-spot for 5th gen Maximas.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:04 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by chandmx
Has anyone tried the Tornado Air (http://www.tornadoair.com)?
If so where did you install it; right after the MAF sensor or right on the throttle body?
I presume it would alter the MAF sensor readings somewhat, am I correct?
The way modern intakes are designed nowadays assists in spooling the air that going into the combustion chamber. This would include your Maxima. Like everyone else said, save your dollars on this one.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:06 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by Solebreaker
anyone?
I'm confused. You want a 5 speed pattern for your auto-Max?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:09 PM

I cant seem to hit the 400 miles per tank that most people seem to get on their 3.5 6speed...

i usually make around 22-24mpg mixed (2/3 of it being highway) the trip computer reads out 27mpg.... the DTE says 480 on a full tank... but plummets quick...

the car has 120k on it..... burns about half a quart in 1000 miles....

i once got 400 miles and i was really milking that reserve.... filled up around 16.7 gallons after it.... and that was me grandma driving... shifting below 3k....no racing nothing.

anything i should try to clean or something?.... i was thinking the fuel filter would be my next thing to do...

i have a clean air filter in it....
Old 11-13-2007, 11:13 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by sirus444
Use Mobil1 Fully Sythetic oil, its the best. I was using blended Sythetic oil, but after 6k I switched to Fully Sythetic oil. Ever since I used Mobil1 Sythetic oil, I hear it's the best. Don't switch back and forth, use only one kind of oil, because it's not good for the engine.
This is not necessarily true. Since both dino and synthetic oils that are accredited have detergents to clean your engine and special chemicals to ensure your seals are nicely saturated. Although this article talks about air cooled engines, the basic premise of the synthetic oil/dino oil argument is still there. Mobil 1 is good stuff, but just about anything that has a synthetic base is more resilient to temperature fluctuations and break-down due to use. I'm using Pennzoil Platinum fully synthetic oil in my Maxima after having purchased it from someone that used Valvoline synthetic. Oil viscosity is still great after 3750 miles (change interval) and adds an extra layer of protection to your Maxima.

Regardless, the key to long engine life is good maintenance and frequent oil changes. Drag race your Max? Change your oil more often.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:14 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by fitness stain
extreme squeaking / grinding noise

this happens pretty much anytime i'm not giving throttle. Taking turns squeaks like crazy, stopping squeaks etc etc

doesnt seem to happen while im giving it gas. I just changed the front brakes yesterday and the noise is still there.
It could be the bearings... however, you'd be best to have a friend listen outside the car while you drive around in the parking lot to determine where exactly the noise is coming from the most (which wheel). Then, go from there.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:30 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by bigjoe87865
I cant seem to hit the 400 miles per tank that most people seem to get on their 3.5 6speed...
Shift early, shift often. Your engine is least efficient when the accelerator is depressed. Keeping your rev's low is one factor in improving gas mileage. When you accelerate, there is no need to drag race and get those 5 and a half seconds to 60mph. In addition:

1) Check your tire pressures. Low tire pressures creating more rolling resistance that your engine has to counter.
2) Combustion comes from fuel, air, and compression. Therefore,
2a) Make sure you're using a top-tier fuel, premium unleaded, that has the detergents needed to keep your engine clean and running at its best. Lower grade fuels (octane and brands) can carbon up your engine, deterring the cleanest burn.
2b) Make sure your air filter is clean, free of dirt and debris. (I know you said yours was clean, but this is to the benefit of others).
2c) Run a compression check to ensure that your VQ is within spec. You can use the compression test to find out if your piston rings are worn (using a little oil) or if you have excessive valve wear/clearance (added oil makes no difference).
3) While you're doing a compression check, clean/regap/or replace your spark plugs. Regardless of the life-span a manufacturer places on their plugs, you still need to ensure that the gap is maintained properly. A bigger gap - the less hot the spark produced, thus the fuel is not burned like it should, degrading performance and fuel economy.
4) O2 sensors play a huge role in fuel economy when the engine is fully warm. O2 sensors allow the engine to run right on the rich/lean line given the amount of air that is being sucked in. Dirty O2 sensors can't properly detect the presence of unburnt fuel and will slowly cause your engine to run more rich (more fuel than necessary given the air intake).

i usually make around 22-24mpg mixed (2/3 of it being highway) the trip computer reads out 27mpg.... the DTE says 480 on a full tank... but plummets quick...
You cannot trust the trip computer in 5.5 gen Maximas.

the car has 120k on it..... burns about half a quart in 1000 miles....
Most Org'ers cite that the VQ35DE is prone to ring wear. However, you could be losing oil in a different place (do the compression check anyway - it will tell you a whole bunch of about the internals of your motor). When is the last time you changed your PCV valve? Clogged or faulty PCV valves can lead to oil loss.

i once got 400 miles and i was really milking that reserve.... filled up around 16.7 gallons after it.... and that was me grandma driving... shifting below 3k....no racing nothing.
Yup, that's what you have to do. Hard acceleration on any engine will consume fuel quickly (3-5mpg). If you do enough stop and go, that will add up in no time flat.

anything i should try to clean or something?.... i was thinking the fuel filter would be my next thing to do...
Dirty fuel filters deter the pump's ability to send the right amount of fuel to the motor, lessening its performance. Further, it can let particulates normally captured by the filter into the combustion chamber, where is accumulates as carbon and soot, degrading fuel economy and performance.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:35 AM

That's really good information akansai. Is there a definitive thread where people list the gas mileage they are getting on 5th gen (VQ30). I can't seem to find one and am wondering how far off I am (if I am at all)

Also, is there a way to diagnose an O2 sensor assuming that there is no SES light? Can you pull it and test it with a multimeter?

Last edited by merlin2375; 11-14-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 AM
WSH for teh cup

That's really good information akansai. Is there a definitive thread where people list the mileage they are getting on 5th gen (VQ30). I can't seem to find one and am wondering how far off I am (if I am at all)
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=376978
Old 11-14-2007, 09:47 AM

Thanks! I meant gas mileage, not total miles on the car. My mistake! I edited my above post!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
WSH for teh cup

Thanks! I meant gas mileage, not total miles on the car. My mistake! I edited my above post!
The problem with that is there are so many different variables. but here are a few:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=307222

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=95353

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=304096
Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 PM

chip

do they have any speed chip for 03 maxima?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by dominicano3o5
They aren't really called speed chips... but here:

http://www.technosquareinc.com/technosquareecu.htm
Old 11-14-2007, 01:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by dominicano3o5
We would prefer you not refer to it as s speed chip, but there is one:

http://www.technosquareinc.com/maxima.htm
Old 11-14-2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
We would prefer you not refer to it as s speed chip, but there is one:

http://www.technosquareinc.com/maxima.htm

But technically they are different links.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

.org clock needs seconds
Old 11-14-2007, 01:24 PM

Im new here... and I will be asking a lot of dumb questions... please bear with me... lol
Old 11-14-2007, 02:53 PM

alright here is my first noob question.... my sun roof cover rattles like crazy.... it seems that if i push up on the cover it will stop for a few min then comes right back... any ideas? thanks in advance

Matt

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread