5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:02 PM

1) Safety/tamper proof Torx. Sears has them.

2) Recommended by who, the stealer???
Old 11-01-2007, 01:02 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by kgallerie
I believe it is recommended to replace the entire MAF housing as well.
No sense in doing that.

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
1) Safety/tamper proof Torx. Sears has them.

2) Recommended by who, the stealer???
Probably. damn dealer. IIRC, my Z33 T-stat also has these . Anyhow, I see no added benefit, technical or otherwise of changing the housing.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 11-01-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great, that was exactly what i was thinking i could do.... thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by 02Maximan
^^^^^^
No it will be much easier to remove the whole airbox and intake resonator to take the Maf out. just the clamp on the throttle body and about 4-5 bolts and it will pull right out. of course unplug the the Maf sensor wire too.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:19 PM

what program do i have to buy/get to turn my MAximas photos into HDR

please right back asap
Old 11-01-2007, 03:27 PM
WSH for teh cup

Originally Posted by MoeBelikeMax
what program do i have to buy/get to turn my MAximas photos into HDR

please right back asap
Photomatix......
Old 11-01-2007, 05:55 PM

I got a quick question I hope is nothing serious, but for the last month or so, that is getting coolder (I don't know if it is related or not) but after I start the car, let it warm for 2-3 mins (as always do), now after a few seconds of start moving (forward or backward) I hear this gas discharge sound just once, does not matter if the A/C was on or off, before I start the car.
Any ideas? should I worry??
Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is the center vent assembly (above radio) the same in a 5.0 and a 5.5 gen?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:27 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by ChevelleRH
Is the center vent assembly (above radio) the same in a 5.0 and a 5.5 gen?
Yes.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=68750-VENTC
Old 11-02-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Solebreaker
i tried doing a search for the best Intake for a 5th gen but the links were all broken. I also was wondering how much a new OEM nissan starter was? i think i over paid a lot i paid $340 for a new one. thanks for your help
anyone?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Solebreaker
anyone?
http://www.berktechnology.com/
Old 11-02-2007, 08:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

Any intake will work, as long as it’s not Injen. Try Dave for all your OEM parts: 1-888-254-6060

Or, check www.pinnalcenissan.com
www.courtesyparts.com, www.thepartsbin.com for better prices than what you paid.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 AM

I got a quick question I hope is nothing serious, but for the last month or so, that is getting coolder (I don't know if it is related or not) but after I start the car, let it warm for 2-3 mins (as always do), now after a few seconds of start moving (forward or backward) I hear this gas discharge sound just once, does not matter if the A/C was on or off, before I start the car.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Parthur
Be a little more specific...like where is the sound from? Also, what year is the car...the engines (3.0 or 3.5) are very different in many respects, and what trans.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:45 PM

yea i was wondering where do you get those lights from for your fogs??? i think they are called PIAA extreme or sumthin...i would really appreciate it i think its a website.....
Old 11-02-2007, 04:50 PM

Thanks Matt, is a 2000 se A/T, the noise come from the engine bay, is like gas is scaping from somewhere?? it just last for maybe less than a second, the car has not lost power and as I said, the noise comes up even if A/C or heater has been off for long time ( is getting colder so I have not use A/C for at least 2 mos) no much heater either.
anyone have an input?
Old 11-02-2007, 05:10 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by G&S Maxima
yea i was wondering where do you get those lights from for your fogs??? i think they are called PIAA extreme or sumthin...i would really appreciate it i think its a website.....
who?
http://www.optionsauto.com/products.asp?dept=349v
plasma GT-X
http://www.autolumination.com/
Old 11-03-2007, 02:01 AM

can someone help me out with this thread please (post #99), im still a "newb" and having troubles with my 02 recently fitted with an 01 MAF sensor

thread= http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=258878&page=3

thank you in advance!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:20 AM

I removed my intake scoop because it doesn't do anything and it had two sensors attached to it.
One was a "boost sensor", what the hell does that do?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
the two torx bolts for me have this little dot/bump in the center that prevents me from using a regular torx key.
Pics? . . . .
Here you go
Old 11-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Cletus

vicegrips
Old 11-04-2007, 09:04 AM

have a question....my friend jus got some PIAA fogs that i want and he is selling them to me.....is there a way i can tell if there real???? or is there not such a thing as fack PIAA'a???? thanx
Old 11-04-2007, 11:32 AM

what other filters can you put on the injen besides the ones it comes with
Old 11-04-2007, 05:02 PM

So my wife was driving my car today. She was talking to me on the phone and asked why the TCS Off light came on suddenly. A minute or two later the airbag light came on and she braked to pull over and see what was going on. The car stalled and died, and the battery was essentially dead. I had to drive out and give her a jump. I've had a 420 code for a while now but am not sure if this was related. Gonna take it in this week to see what's going on. Awesome.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by hoboscratch
So my wife was driving my car today. She was talking to me on the phone and asked why the TCS Off light came on suddenly. A minute or two later the airbag light came on and she braked to pull over and see what was going on. The car stalled and died, and the battery was essentially dead. I had to drive out and give her a jump. I've had a 420 code for a while now but am not sure if this was related. Gonna take it in this week to see what's going on. Awesome.
Time for a new alternator. 100% positive that's it. Get it at orielly auto parts and they have a lifetime warranty and install yourself. It's a decently easy install. The belt is the worst part
Old 11-04-2007, 08:38 PM

I went up to the mountains today with some passengers in my maxima. I think the stuff in my trunk and the all passengers summed up to about 1000 lbs. I went through a dip and a bump and I heard my right back tire scraped the body from the inside. My shocks and springs are OEM and I have a slightly bigger tires. So my questions is isn't there a limiter or something that protects from this kind of insidents???

My shocks are pretty good (stiff).
I was thinking about dropping my maxima about an inch or two front and back but now I think I should reconsider? I was thinking about getting and Eibach lowering springs and just replace the springs. Is there more adjustments needs to be done?

Any experts advises are greatly appreciated. (I'm loving this forum so far... on the other hand it's really tempting to do lots of stuff to my car but I don't have all that expertise). Thanks.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by chandmx
I went up to the mountains today with some passengers in my maxima. I think the stuff in my trunk and the all passengers summed up to about 1000 lbs. I went through a dip and a bump and I heard my right back tire scraped the body from the inside. My shocks and springs are OEM and I have a slightly bigger tires. So my questions is isn't there a limiter or something that protects from this kind of insidents???

My shocks are pretty good (stiff).
I was thinking about dropping my maxima about an inch or two front and back but now I think I should reconsider? I was thinking about getting and Eibach lowering springs and just replace the springs. Is there more adjustments needs to be done?

Any experts advises are greatly appreciated. (I'm loving this forum so far... on the other hand it's really tempting to do lots of stuff to my car but I don't have all that expertise). Thanks.
I'm no suspension expert, but here are a few basic things:

1) sounds like your tire just rubbed against something; not surprising, considering the extra weight + bigger tires

2) your suspension is a mechanical system. There are no "limiters" that can prevent your springs from compressing too much. However, you could get stiffer shocks (aka struts) that resists the spring compression and therefore make it less likely to bottom out like you did.

3) if you get lowering springs, the struts have to work a lot harder. you will probably want to get aftermarket struts. check out housecor's site for some good info on that stuff.

4) check out the sticky about tires/wheels.. here is a calculator that tells you the overall size of your tires with different size rims and tires.. they key is to have an overall diameter that is as close as possible to the original tires.

5) there is a ton of stuff on this site about suspension, especially lowering springs. go to google and type in "lowering springs site:maxima.org" to search for 'lowering springs'. try different searches. If a link is broken, or directs you to the wrong thread, manually change the part of the link that says "showthread" to say "oldthread".
Old 11-05-2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Armon
I'm no suspension expert, but here are a few basic things:

1) sounds like your tire just rubbed against something; not surprising, considering the extra weight + bigger tires
I lifted my car and looked under the rear fender and it looks like the tire scraped it.

2) your suspension is a mechanical system. There are no "limiters" that can prevent your springs from compressing too much. However, you could get stiffer shocks (aka struts) that resists the spring compression and therefore make it less likely to bottom out like you did.
I came accross this Bump Stopper Rubber:
http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct...49&CarMakeID=7
Is this what I need? Will this help at all?

4) check out the sticky about tires/wheels.. here is a calculator that tells you the overall size of your tires with different size rims and tires.. they key is to have an overall diameter that is as close as possible to the original tires.
I have ~4.5% bigger tires. I have 6th gen 18 inch chrome that's why I've been thinking about getting stronger suspension and brakes.

5) there is a ton of stuff on this site about suspension, especially lowering springs. go to google and type in "lowering springs site:maxima.org" to search for 'lowering springs'. try different searches. If a link is broken, or directs you to the wrong thread, manually change the part of the link that says "showthread" to say "oldthread".
Thanks for your reply. I really do appreciate it. I will continue on researching. I've been studying my maxima for the last couple of months .

Last edited by chandmx; 11-05-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Front Suspension Question

I just installed some G35 18x8 wheels with 225/40/18 tires in the front and 235/40/18 in the rear on my '01 SE and they look great however I do not like the wheel gap it left. The rear gap is tolerable but the front is painfull to look at.

I see some people on these forums swapped out only their front suspension and left he rears stock. What kinda of issues or performance hit can I expect if I choose to only upgrade/lower the front suspension? I do not run the car on a track and just enjoy "spirited" freeway driving on the smooth roads of SoCal.

I am planning on going with the illumina/eibach combo if this is feasable on the front. If not it's going on all 4 corners.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:44 PM

I saw these Headers and y-pipe on ebay for those of you who have y pipes and headers how does the construction of this 1 look.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-01...spagenameZWDVW
Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Ricfutures
I just installed some G35 18x8 wheels with 225/40/18 tires in the front and 235/40/18 in the rear on my '01 SE and they look great however I do not like the wheel gap it left. The rear gap is tolerable but the front is painfull to look at.

I see some people on these forums swapped out only their front suspension and left he rears stock. What kinda of issues or performance hit can I expect if I choose to only upgrade/lower the front suspension? I do not run the car on a track and just enjoy "spirited" freeway driving on the smooth roads of SoCal.

I am planning on going with the illumina/eibach combo if this is feasable on the front. If not it's going on all 4 corners.

Thanks!
You need the correct size of tire first off. 225-40 is much too small for that car. 235-40 -18's, or better yet, my choice would be 245-50 18's.

Eibach/Illuminas are a good choice. I would go all around and not do 'just the front'.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:31 PM

I have ~4.5% bigger tires. I have 6th gen 18 inch chrome that's why I've been thinking about getting stronger suspension and brakes.
That bump stop might work, although it will probably require taking parts of the suspension off in order to install. If you are getting new tires soon, you could just get a lower profile tire. play around with the numbers on that calculator to see how to get a perfect match.. for example a 235/40/19 will be larger in overall diameter than a 235/35/19 because of the sidewalls.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Time for a new alternator. 100% positive that's it. Get it at orielly auto parts and they have a lifetime warranty and install yourself. It's a decently easy install. The belt is the worst part
You know, I figured it was alternator as well, but what's weird is that it started fine when I got home, including this morning and evening. I was always under the assumption that an alternator either worked or didn't.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:15 PM

I lifted my car and looked under the rear fender and it looks like the tire scraped it.

Thanks for your reply. I really do appreciate it. I will continue on researching. I've been studying my maxima for the last couple of months .
I just changed my struts recently. I didn't lower my car so kept the stock springs. It was time consuming but not bad at all. A lot like doing brakes. Dirty and takes a while but not difficult. And you save a ton of money in labor doing it yourself. Tip: have a buddy or vice handy to hold the strut while compressing springs. PITA if you don't. Oh, and I went by housecors' guide. I had the FSM handy but didn't really need it.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:58 PM

ok changed my alternator/battery x2/checked for a parasitic drain and well cant make heads or tails of what im looking for. ammeter shows a drain when everything is off bat reads 13-14 alone, hooked up it starts going down but fast from 12-10 dipping into 8-9 from here im not sure what else to do. any help will be appreciated.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:46 PM

I need to replace my catalytic converter how do i know which cat is right for my car and what are my options other tha random tech. And if anyone knows the price of installation when you had yours replaced.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:04 AM

hey guys. iv tried the search engine. all the links are whacked and have spent the last week searching our website and many others and i still can not find a complete how to write up on the 02-03 HID conversion. any help?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by werm175
hey guys. iv tried the search engine. all the links are whacked and have spent the last week searching our website and many others and i still can not find a complete how to write up on the 02-03 HID conversion. any help?
The HID thread was on the second page of the 5th Gen forum:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=541117
Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dynasty47x1
I need to replace my catalytic converter how do i know which cat is right for my car and what are my options other tha random tech. And if anyone knows the price of installation when you had yours replaced.
I assume you're talking about the main cat and not the pre-cats.

Cattman sells one as well, look for his threads in the Group Deals forum. Other than that, you'd have to look on eBay for a generic Maxima "hi-flow" cat (make sure you're not just buying a resonated test pipe though, unless that's what you want) or through the 5th Gen Classifieds to see if anyone is getting rid of theirs.

I guess you could also check junkyards to see if you can find one, although, they are technically not allowed to resell junked emissions parts, IIRC.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dynasty47x1
I saw these Headers and y-pipe on ebay for those of you who have y pipes and headers how does the construction of this 1 look.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-01...spagenameZWDVW

Design of those is just like the stock shorty headers, less the pre-cats. Look for the other threads on eBay headers. The quality usually isn't very good either, based on other peoples experience with eBay headers. The only headers I might consider getting off eBay are OBX headers, but even then, some Orgers have had issues with certain batches of those.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by MoeBelikeMax
what other filters can you put on the injen besides the ones it comes with
Any Apexi or K&N with the correct size opening and dimensions to fit will work.

I used the K&N RD3870 on my Berk:

http://www.google.com/products?q=K%2...firefox-a&um=1

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread