6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Technosquare ecu DYNO....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Main fun thing is the 7100 redline. Holding the shifter down and then letting go so it could shift by itself...it takes a little practice so that you don't bounce the redline and bog the motor, but once you get it, 1-3 gear is
i thought it was a "myth" to be able to hold down the shifter in tip to keep it in a gear. maybe im confused about what you are saying.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:48 AM

No, I didn't send in my AFR, but i'd assume that just an intake would be easy enough for TS to figure out the ratio.

With the "holding the gear down," you can do so, but it's only beneficial in 1-2 imo. All you do is just hold it down and when it gets around 6800 ish, you let go and then the comp shifts at around 7000...you just have to play with it and figure out the optimal points to let go so that you don't bounce the limiter and bog the motor.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:53 AM

On another note....for the ones that HAVE THIS MOD

When I got the ECU swapped at the dealership, the tech was very knowledgeable on modded Maxima's because he had a 5th gen with a lot of bolt ons and such. I asked him if he would have to reflash my ECU and he said no, unless I want it I was like NO THANKS! Only thing he told me that he'd have to do is reprogram the idle because it is electronic...would doing so, screw with any of the things that TS did to the ECU...I ask because like I stated before, right now this mod is kind of a "I feel some power" mod and would like to know if he accidentally screwed something up. I still have the 7100 redline, so would that mean that he didn't screw anything up, because if he did then EVERYTHING would have gotten "erased?" That's kind of confusing, but I think you guys get my drift.

Also, when it comes down to getting 100 octane gas...would it be alright if I were to use that for a tank or so and then go back to 93, or would this cause some pinging or knocking, or something else that would make the motor act funny?

thanks!
Old 03-18-2007, 12:32 PM

I just wish someone could get this done and be happy with results. It seems like everbody that gets it is all excited at first then as soon as they get they're like "man is it supposed to do that???? I'm thinking that the AFC NEO or pronto's idea about unichip are sounding better because there is not alot of satifaction with this mod. (yet) maybe it will take some time but, who knows.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:38 PM

maybe I'm just skeptical because I don't have enough mods and accurate AFR for TS to actually tune the ECU to my cars needs. redline at 7100 in 1st and 2nd gear is fun and when I get my NEO installed (hopefully I still do) and I get it dyno tuned, all should be well!
Old 03-18-2007, 05:39 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by aryathegreat
i thought it was a "myth" to be able to hold down the shifter in tip to keep it in a gear. maybe im confused about what you are saying.
Nope. Works! I SMOKED my friend's turbo-charged 240SX tonight at two straight lights. He couldn't believe it! I held the shift down on the "-" and let it go when it got to the NEW rev limiter and it worked great (shifted to second by itself).

The car was running great all weekend long. Put some $7/gallon 100 octane gas in it yesterday. Ran it around all day. Fun fun. There was a 1/4 tank left tonight and then I filled up with 93 for the week. My engine light has been off for a while now. I think that it really takes a week for the ECU to "learn" what it needs to to run great.

It would be fun to do a quarter mile and see what it does. My friend's 240SX can supposedly do it in 14.6!

Old 03-18-2007, 06:01 PM

so should I give my ECU a few more days before I get disappointed about it?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:09 PM

I don't know, with all this EMC tweaking and mods on the cars, I don't see anyone running a sub 14 yet. Once the weather breaks I'll be testing my Max out to see what a stocker can do. My guestimate is a 14.8. We'll see.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:19 PM

there have been some that hit 14.4 with just an intake....deus ran a 14 flat on a humid day...and he has or had the most done to the Max out of everyone (performance wise), so he should easily hit high 13's on a nice cool day
Old 03-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That turbo 240 runs what a friend of mine ran in his bolt on/JWT ECU 5 speed Altima...interesting....
Old 03-18-2007, 06:56 PM

That turbo 240 runs what a friend of mine ran in his bolt on/JWT ECU 5 speed '93 Altima...interesting....that's a neat trick though on the auto 6th gen...
Old 03-18-2007, 07:25 PM

deus has a 6spd stick
Old 03-19-2007, 08:28 AM
briancopeland

so should I give my ECU a few more days before I get disappointed about it?
Definitely. I was pretty bummed the first few days, but now I'm very happy. What a difference a week makes!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:31 AM

there have been some that hit 14.4 with just an intake....deus ran a 14 flat on a humid day...and he has or had the most done to the Max out of everyone (performance wise), so he should easily hit high 13's on a nice cool day
Shouda, coulda, woulda,...know how many 400hp Honda Civics I've crushed? Until someone puts those #s up there's alot of spectulation (track time not some dyno crap) what your hard earned money is getting.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 AM

I havent run my car in the 1/4 yet. I bet its low 14's or maybe better.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:39 AM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by Pronto
Shouda, coulda, woulda,...know how many 400hp Honda Civics I've crushed? Until someone puts those #s up there's alot of spectulation (track time not some dyno crap) what your hard earned money is getting.
I agree that something like the 1/4 mile is where "the rubber meets the road" vs. dyno's etc. (still valuable when tuning and testing). However, if the 1/4 mile was all I was after I would have bought a $23K (what I paid for my loaded '05 Maxima SL) used Pontiac GTO with an LS6 engine in it and RWD. While I would love to see my Maxima do well in the 1/4 mile, I'd RATHER take it to Road Atlanta and see how the whole upgrade package works (Engine, Suspension, Brakes, etc.)

I've seen a lot of people down on OUR Maximas on this forum, but I'm here to tell you that even with FWD, limited available mods, a fair bit of weight, our cars are VERY capable of being all-around performers. Will we ever pull an 11 sec 1/4 mile? Probably not w/o extreme upgrades. That said, our 6th Generation Maximas have the capability to perform like some of the best, 4-door, sports sedans of the same size. I'm going to keep mod'ing mine 'til my vanity license plate reads "M5KILLR" and can back it up!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 AM

I agree with brian. We can be performers as well I also believe that there are going to be even more parts out here for us to take advantage of just like the previous gens before ours and I cant wait.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

From stock to those of us who have modded the 6th Gen, this car is capable of anything... I'm currently a 14 runner also and maybe even high 13's under the right conditions.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I havent run my car in the 1/4 yet. I bet its low 14's or maybe better.
I think I mistook(is this a word? ) you for chernmax then
Old 03-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I think I mistook(is this a word? ) you for chernmax then
Dues car Rocks, if you have to make an error, i'm glad you made that one...
Old 03-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by briancopeland
... I'm going to keep mod'ing mine 'til my vanity license plate reads "M5KILLR" and can back it up!!!
We're a long way from an M5... Maybe E28 M5.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:37 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by RHMax
We're a long way from an M5... Maybe E28 M5.
You're right. I'll be happy to kill some M3's in the meantime!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:19 PM

I'm not sure if I will be able to to get one of those ECU's from car-parts.com because my car is an 06' I just bought it last June. Will I have to get a brand new ECU?? If so I will just have to rent a car or something for 3-4 days cause I quoted an ECU at the dealer and it was $890.00 that ECU better blow me for that much.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:52 PM
briancopeland

Alright. My friend with the 240SX is NOT happy. Says he had his girlfriend in the car and would have kicked my A-S-S otherwise. He's challenged me to the drag strip in Commerce, GA in two and weeks and says that 14.6 was his S-H-I-T-iest 1/4 mile time and that his best runs are more like 13.8. I love a challenge, so I'm going to forget my little budget for this NISMO Maxima project and go for it. Need the following asap:

1. Cattman Catback
2. Underdrive Pulley
3. APEXi NEO to make it run right

Anythinge else? Help me out here. It's The 6th Generation vs. The Turbocharged 2.5L 240SX. Any mod suggestions, discounts OR racing strategy suggestions appreciated! We'll video tape it and post the times, etc. Need lots of help from The Forum. Thanks in advance!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 02:09 PM

Brian this is what I want to see. Real time WFO. I would suggest changing your oil to Mobile1. That's worth 5 hp. Pump your rear tires up to the max load rating. Get rid of any excess junk in the trunk. Before your race check out the starting line. See which lane looks better. At my track its the tower side but check out if they're spraying track bite on one side more than the other. Before you go practice your launches so you don't spin too much. As soon as you get back to the pits open your hood to help cool down. If you want to be cooler rig a manual switch to the fan. Don't worry about the guy in the other lane, concentrate on cleaning the tires off and staging as shallow as possible. BTW what is his girlfriend, a beast? 100 lbs= .10 in the 1/4.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:18 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by Pronto
Brian this is what I want to see. Real time WFO. I would suggest changing your oil to Mobile1. That's worth 5 hp. Pump your rear tires up to the max load rating. Get rid of any excess junk in the trunk. Before your race check out the starting line. See which lane looks better. At my track its the tower side but check out if they're spraying track bite on one side more than the other. Before you go practice your launches so you don't spin too much. As soon as you get back to the pits open your hood to help cool down. If you want to be cooler rig a manual switch to the fan. Don't worry about the guy in the other lane, concentrate on cleaning the tires off and staging as shallow as possible. BTW what is his girlfriend, a beast? 100 lbs= .10 in the 1/4.
Real time WFO - Explain further please...
I'm running Castrol Syntech - Should be similar enough, right?
Rear tires pumped to the max - What about the front? A little low perhaps?
Pick the proper lane - check
Practices launches - check (hard with the automatic, TCS off, etc. etc.)
Hood up in between - check (keep it cool!)
Don't worry about other guy, clean tires - Spin them on the water???
Staging as shallow as possible - ???
His girlfriend is DEFINATELY A BEAST, HA, HA, HA!!!

Thanks, man!

Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 PM

WIDE F'n OPEN!
Roll through the burnout box just ahead of the water. Don't spin them in the water.
Before you race check the starting line to see where the electric eyes are. The first is pre-stage. Roll slow into it and stop immediately. Inch slowly as you can to just tick the staged light. That will give you maximum roll out for launch on last yellow ie; to get a hole shot. Shift at about 6900 so it won't hit the limiter on shift.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:58 PM
briancopeland

Got it. I'll watch a few more episodes of PINKS before the race too ;-)

What about my mods? They're the greatest lead time. I've got to get'em ordered and installed, etc. before the race. I was going to do the brakes next, but I'm guessing they're not really needed? What can I do to my car to get it going in the 1/4 mile? See list of mods to date below.

Will the sway bars and MMI get me anything in the quarter mile? I left them off of the original list. Perhaps it goes like this:

1. Catback exhaust
2. UD Pulley
3. APEXi NEO
4. Sway bars
5. 18" wheels and drag radials

Old 03-19-2007, 03:35 PM

sway bars won't do anything, but the MMi will make the power tranfer to the wheels more efficiently, but don't add any "power"
Old 03-19-2007, 03:45 PM
briancopeland

sway bars won't do anything, but the MMi will make the power tranfer to the wheels more efficiently, but don't add any "power"
Got it. What else?

Old 03-19-2007, 04:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

Why get a NEO, and not a VAFCII?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:00 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Why get a NEO, and not a VAFCII?
Show me where to get s SVACII and I'll buy it. They don't produce them anymore. Don't have time for eBay, so show me someone that has it in stock and I will buy it tonigth.

Just ordered my Cattman Catback. About to order my UD Pulley as soon as I very the belts that I need too. Thank!

Old 03-19-2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by briancopeland
Show me where to get s SVACII and I'll buy it. They don't produce them anymore. Don't have time for eBay, so show me someone that has it in stock and I will buy it tonigth.

Just ordered my Cattman Catback. About to order my UD Pulley as soon as I very the belts that I need too. Thank!
where you get belts from??
Old 03-19-2007, 05:06 PM
dot dot dot ...

I just googled VAFC and found it in many places for a little more than it should cost, but at this point, it doesn't seem like money means much right now.
http://www.alamomotorsports.com/apexi/safc.html for starters.

Belts can be gotten from any local automotive stores. All you need are the correct sizes.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:13 PM

wow it look like the last one is the best right??/
Old 03-19-2007, 05:17 PM
briancopeland

Moved this over to a new thread. Thanks!!!!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=515074

Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 PM

On another note....for the ones that HAVE THIS MOD

Only thing he told me that he'd have to do is reprogram the idle because it is electronic...would doing so, screw with any of the things that TS did to the ECU...? thanks!
The idle can be adjusted +/- 250rpm and the timing +/- 2 degrees. It does not affect the TS flash.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:27 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by SEGirl
where you get belts from??
SEGirl, I love you and swear that I won't make fun of you no more. YOU tell me where I can by an UD Pulley and the belts that are needed for my '05 and I will send you muy flowers. Roses - Promise.

Su amigo,
Brian

Old 03-19-2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
The idle can be adjusted +/- 250rpm and the timing +/- 2 degrees. It does not affect the TS flash.
super!