General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NOS Gauges/Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 07:40 AM
RKS

I ordered the the NOS dry kit and should be receiving it with-in a few days and am planning to start with a 40 shot. I aim to work up to at least a 70 shot after a new fuel pump.
Meanwhile after a little bit of research I have decided to go with Autometer gauges. I am going to purchase the Phantom Series in the 2 1/16" size for the following gauges:

A/F Ratio
Electric Fuel Pressure
EGT
I may also consider putting in a NOS pressure gauge later if I need it.

I plan on putting them all into a triple A-pillar pod, if it will fit. I have a few questions however...

Does this seem like a logical setup?
Should I add additional gauges or drop certain ones?
Does anybody have good explict instructions on installing gauges or locating the sensors?

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 04-23-2001, 07:49 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Those gauges are fine. As for nitrous pressure gauge, there are several places you can put it.

1. In the trunk right at the bottle.
2. In the engine compartement by the nitrous solenoid.
3. Inside the car.

The first two does not require you do run any ss braided line, but you wouldn't know the pressure sitting in the driver seat. You either have to pop the trunk or hood.

The 3rd option requires you to run a ss braided all the way behind your gauge. I don't think there are any eletric autometer nitrous pressure gauge. This mean you have to drill a big hole in the firewall and snake the ss braided line inside the car. I went with the 3rd option.
Old 04-23-2001, 07:57 AM

As far as gauges, the Autometer is good enough. The Phantom series is good bu more for looks. Either way its still does its job. BTW, i am also using these gauges.

As far as which gauges, i have been told by numerous people that the A/F is just a waste unless you buy the really expensive ones (over $300). The EGT, Fuel Pressure, and NOS pressure gauge are the most important. You will only need those 3 and you will be fine, even with the new fuel pump.

Dont forget to get a step colder plugs. Pref the ones for the NA 300z.

They do make a 3 gauge A-pillar holder. Im not sure how well that will fit. I know the do make a 2 gauge A-pillar holder for the Maximas now (autometer).
Old 04-23-2001, 08:49 AM
Administrator

If you are going to upgrade teh fuel pump.. you should get a upgraded Fuel Pressure Gauge also
Old 04-23-2001, 09:13 AM
RKS

Originally posted by SprintMax
If you are going to upgrade teh fuel pump.. you should get a upgraded Fuel Pressure Gauge also
I assume the electric Autometer fuel pressure gauge would suffice. I believe it measures 0-100 psi.

Anybody have any good instructions on gauge sensor installation?
Old 04-23-2001, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by RKS

I assume the electric Autometer fuel pressure gauge would suffice. I believe it measures 0-100 psi.

i know someone that knows how to do it all, msg SX7R, he is the expert on Nitrous setup, people in dallas call him "NOS king" so, msg him.

synki: wut do you mean it is just a waste of money(A/f ration)? it works, save my friends motor numerous times. I think you need 2 A/F ration gauge, one for the front bank, one for the rear bank. cuz you never know, which one is running lean.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:30 AM
Administrator

I am sorry .. I meant a Fuel Pressure Regulator.. an upgraded Fuel Pressure Regulator
Originally posted by RKS

Old 04-23-2001, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by BrokenMotor

i know someone that knows how to do it all, msg SX7R, he is the expert on Nitrous setup, people in dallas call him "NOS king" so, msg him.

synki: wut do you mean it is just a waste of money(A/f ration)? it works, save my friends motor numerous times. I think you need 2 A/F ration gauge, one for the front bank, one for the rear bank. cuz you never know, which one is running lean.
This is what i have been told by mardi and phuong. They say its almost useless and not accurate. i've been told im better off with a EGT instead of that. Now im lost dammit!
Old 04-23-2001, 10:04 AM
Administrator

I think you will be fine with the A/F gauge.. its always good to have it anyway
Originally posted by Synki

This is what i have been told by mardi and phuong. They say its almost useless and not accurate. i've been told im better off with a EGT instead of that. Now im lost dammit!
Old 04-23-2001, 10:26 AM

The Best by far is to just make sure you have a safety cut-off switch. So if for some reason you loss fuel pressure the NOS will cut off. You can have all the gauges in the world but when the car is reving up past 6000rpms on the NOS and U lose fuel pressure! By the time u see the gauge the damage is already done. Its fine to have a a/f meter if you go and have the car tunned with a fuel controler or somthing. But it will just show the car running way rich. So you have gauges to keep an eye on things but dont live by them. A NOS pressure gauge would be my first though, if the bottle is at 600psi and you dont know it what good is it to use it. You dont want to have it over 1200-1400 ethier thats not good.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:31 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

If your nitrous pressure is around 600psi, you will run rich. The car would just be slower than usual. If your nitrous pressure is over 1200 psi, you will run lean. Nitrous pressure gauge just makes sure that your bottle is full and it's running at the optimal pressure...900 psi.

Originally posted by 98MAX
A NOS pressure gauge would be my first though, if the bottle is at 600psi and you dont know it what good is it to use it. You dont want to have it over 1200-1400 ethier thats not good.
Old 04-23-2001, 07:25 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Gauges

I talked to a guy today who has been racing and using Nitrous for many years. He told me that the Apexi S-AFC is a good move and the nitrous pressure gauge and the Tranny temp. The exhaust one is good but not necessary and i think i will get a tranny temp too. But i told him i wanted the fuel pressure and that i was going to get a fuel pump too and he said, why? Think about it, if you have the new fuel pump why worry about the pressure because it will be fine because of the new pump, think about it. That's 200 bucks you can save and get an Apexi S-AFC.
Old 04-23-2001, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Re: Gauges

ask him to think about this.. if your engine blows due to not getting enough pressure.. (nothing to do with the new pump) is he going to save you $2000 on a new engine?

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
I talked to a guy today who has been racing and using Nitrous for many years. He told me that the Apexi S-AFC is a good move and the nitrous pressure gauge and the Tranny temp. The exhaust one is good but not necessary and i think i will get a tranny temp too. But i told him i wanted the fuel pressure and that i was going to get a fuel pump too and he said, why? Think about it, if you have the new fuel pump why worry about the pressure because it will be fine because of the new pump, think about it. That's 200 bucks you can save and get an Apexi S-AFC.
Old 04-23-2001, 07:39 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Gauges

Originally posted by SprintMax
ask him to think about this.. if your engine blows due to not getting enough pressure.. (nothing to do with the new pump) is he going to save you $2000 on a new engine?

If i don't have enough pressure won't i run lean, i.e. Apexi S-AFC and people who run 50 shot or less don't usually have the fuel gauge because the pump can handle it, so why not do it with the bigger pump?
Old 04-23-2001, 08:10 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Re: Re: Gauges

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

If i don't have enough pressure won't i run lean, i.e. Apexi S-AFC and people who run 50 shot or less don't usually have the fuel gauge because the pump can handle it, so why not do it with the bigger pump?
What happens when your pump decides to $hit the bed, or you have some minor fluctuation that throws off your fuel pressure just enough... and you didn't have the fuel pressure guage to monitor it...Boom, $2000+. Just my $.02. I'm getting a S-afc, and a fuel guage. $180 is better than $$$$ IMO.
Old 04-23-2001, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gauges

yup i would rather "invest" $200 than run blindly

Originally posted by mtrai760

What happens when your pump decides to $hit the bed, or you have some minor fluctuation that throws off your fuel pressure just enough... and you didn't have the fuel pressure guage to monitor it...Boom, $2000+. Just my $.02. I'm getting a S-afc, and a fuel guage. $180 is better than $$$$ IMO.