3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dhunterx
Hey, can anyone give me some tips on removing the windshield wiper arms? Paint is flaking off them and it's starting to look nasty, but I can't seem to figure out removing them.
here u go
http://www.monkeysee.com/play/1093-h...d-wiper-blades
Old 09-30-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
I appreciate the effort, but reading comprehension isn't a strong point is it? I want to remove the arms themselves because the paint is flaking off. I very well know how to change the wiper blades.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 PM

CV axle job finished! Thanks for all the help. Unfortunatley it did not solve my problem ... a "wump, wump, wump" sound when driving. i know the wheel bearing is bad, could the wheel hub be bad too? there seems to be no definitive answer in the forums on what sound that makes.

Last edited by chrisville37; 09-30-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:11 PM

Hey, can anyone give me some tips on removing the windshield wiper arms? Paint is flaking off them and it's starting to look nasty, but I can't seem to figure out removing them.
It should be just as easy as removing the nuts holding them and just lift them up. I did that sunday when I was removing the cowl panel.

I need to paint the ones on my car too. Not just because they look nasty. When the time is right, the sunlight will hit the wiper arms and straight to my eyes.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by jbbons25
It should be just as easy as removing the nuts holding them and just lift them up. I did that sunday when I was removing the cowl panel.

I need to paint the ones on my car too. Not just because they look nasty. When the time is right, the sunlight will hit the wiper arms and straight to my eyes.
When I tried removing those nuts though it didn't seem to unscrew. It's weird to describe it, but it felt as I was adjusting or tightening it? Going to have to work at it tomorrow some more.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:34 AM

I appreciate the effort, but reading comprehension isn't a strong point is it? I want to remove the arms themselves because the paint is flaking off. I very well know how to change the wiper blades.
lmao i wasnt tryen to be funny.
i didnt kno how to take mine out either so i jus lift them up like u would when ur changing the blades and put newspaper laid down so when u put them back down they lay on it. next i used a lil wire brush to remove the paint that was flaking and once i was done i used cotton ***** and alcohol to wipe them down. next allow to dry then spray paint them (thats why the newspapers there so u wont paint anything else)
Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 AM

ok so i wonna get my exhaust done.
where do i start?
i want the car to sound deep and powerfull not like a rice bucket with a loud a$$ muffler.
if anyone can name piece by piece and what brand of that piece would you recommend i would appreciate it a lot.
i will post vids and pics once i fix the car up.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:24 PM

rear disc brake question

Hello, I have read up here on this forum about changing the rear drum brake system to disc. I have a 90 GXE, my question is if I get the whole rear strut assy from a SE are the springs the same? Would the ride height change?And does it have to be the same year?
Thank you
Ezra
Old 10-01-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by dragracer440wedge
Hello, I have read up here on this forum about changing the rear drum brake system to disc. I have a 90 GXE, my question is if I get the whole rear strut assy from a SE are the springs the same? Would the ride height change?And does it have to be the same year?
Thank you
Ezra
I did not notice a difference in ride height, iirc, the only difference is that the SE springs are stiffer. My rear strut assemblies came from a 93, so year doesn't really matter. All I had to do was tie wrap the ABS connections to the strut since I had no where to plug them into.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I did not notice a difference in ride height, iirc, the only difference is that the SE springs are stiffer. My rear strut assemblies came from a 93, so year doesn't really matter. All I had to do was tie wrap the ABS connections to the strut since I had no where to plug them into.
yea. they are stiffer but the ride height is the same.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by dragracer440wedge
Thank you
Ezra
leave the drums on if ur not planing on having the car for a long time, if u plan on having this car for a long time then get the swap done. i was gonna do the same but im upgrading to 4th or 5th gen max once i get my tax refund in 3 to 4 months.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 AM

leave the drums on if ur not planing on having the car for a long time, if u plan on having this car for a long time then get the swap done. i was gonna do the same but im upgrading to 4th or 5th gen max once i get my tax refund in 3 to 4 months.
If anything it will only help sell the car, at least for me it would. Drums are ugly and a pain to change (in comparison to discs). I did the swap because I got the parts cheap and needed to change the front brakes too.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 AM

i went to a shop today to see about getting my thermosat replaced and they tryed to tell me that it would be like 200 $ because its located under the intake manfold i think there rong does any one know its a 93 nissan maxima se i belive its just under the lower radiator hose housing but i cound be rong myself
Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by jimbot18
i went to a shop today to see about getting my thermosat replaced and they tryed to tell me that it would be like 200 $ because its located under the intake manfold i think there rong does any one know its a 93 nissan maxima se i belive its just under the lower radiator hose housing but i cound be rong myself
Looking at the FSM, it seems possible to change the thermostat without taking out the intake manifold. I may be wrong though too because I don't own a VE.

Last edited by jbbons25; 10-02-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:42 AM

i want to buy fog lights for my 92 max GXE.....but the car didnt come with them stock. would this be very diffucult to install?
Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Power Locks and Anti Theft System Don't work.

First of all, I bought the car with all of these problems, which makes it much harder for me to fix becasue I have no idea what is going on in the first place. I have a 1989 Maxima GXE. My Power Locks, Anti Theft System, And Digital Dash Cluster Don't work. The Heads Up Display (HUD) doesn't seem to work in the cold along with the temperature and fuel level display. The Speedometer and Tacometer don't work, neither does the milage display. The passenger side window has a mind of its own and rolls itself down when I start the car occasionally. I have to hold the button up until it rolls up, then shut off the car. I took off the door thinking the wires to it were broken from repeated door opening but they were fine. With the power locks, the Digital Keypad thing on the door only opens the trunk. I've used every method to activate the power locks stated in the owners manual, and nothing has worked. The Anti Theft System doesn't work, when I shut off the car there is supposed to be a "security" light on the dash that turns on, but it doesn't. All of the warning light on the dash work (door open, fuel low, seatbelt...). The Anti-Lock Brakes also don't work, with winter coming up, I'd like to get that fixed also.

Please Help!

Thanks!

Last edited by Kyle100125; 10-03-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:48 PM

my locks do the same thing, its apparently the door lock timer

when i got my max it worked fine, then eventually the doorpad only worked when it was cold outside, now it wont lock or unlock my doors and my buttons inside dont either. its the door lock timer, you need to solder a wire to get a good connection again

if you sit in the drivers seat and manually press down the lock, do you hear a click noise from the dash?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 AM

does any one know what usually causes the cruse control to fail ?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

does any one know what usually causes the cruse control to fail ?
on an auto or a manual?

also does the rocker switch on the left side still light up but just not the light on the cluster? or do neither of them light up?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Dinglekidd
i want to buy fog lights for my 92 max GXE.....but the car didnt come with them stock. would this be very diffucult to install?
depends if your car has all the necessary pre-wiring or not check to see if you have a plug for the fog light switch next to your mirror/cruise switches (4 screws and adjust the steering column all the way down and that panel will come off). if you have it, i think you just add a relay, fog switch, and hook up the lights.

afaik all 3rd gen GXEs have the wires by the bumper, but just some of them have the wiring on the dash harness.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chrome91
my locks do the same thing, its apparently the door lock timer

when i got my max it worked fine, then eventually the doorpad only worked when it was cold outside, now it wont lock or unlock my doors and my buttons inside dont either. its the door lock timer, you need to solder a wire to get a good connection again

if you sit in the drivers seat and manually press down the lock, do you hear a click noise from the dash?
I tried pressing the lock button on the drivers door, pressing lock on the keypad, and manually pressing down the lock; and I heard no click. Everyone says that there is supposed to be a little black box to the right of the steering column, but that is my turn signal.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:14 PM

Does anyone know what usually causes cruise control to fail ?
the car is a 93 se its a manual and the rocker switch light still works but the light on the gauge cluster does not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Old 10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

the car is a 93 se its a manual and the rocker switch light still works but the light on the gauge cluster does not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
make sure the green rubber stopper on the clutch pedal switch (the one that is pushed when the pedal is all the way up) is still there, same for the brake pedal (the blue switch iirc). if they are busted/gone, the button will never be pressed, so cc will assume you are pushing the clutch or brake pedal when you aren't. brakelights are on a totally separate circuit, as is the clutch start switch (cuz it's at the bottom of the clutch pedal travel)
Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 PM

thanks. looks like im buying fog lights
Old 10-04-2009, 08:14 PM

my car has a loud lifter nose its when i start the car but when i get in about 3rd gear it goes away and if i go for a nice long drive at like 55 and come back the noise is gone but once th engine cools and i start it back up the noise is back . I've read on hear that it could be the vtc's . does any one think they know what it is . and what are vtc's and are they hard or exsensive to replace. If someone thinks they know that would be great. thanks for any effort put in to this
Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my car has a loud lifter nose its when i start the car but when i get in about 3rd gear it goes away and if i go for a nice long drive at like 55 and come back the noise is gone but once th engine cools and i start it back up the noise is back . I've read on hear that it could be the vtc's . does any one think they know what it is . and what are vtc's and are they hard or exsensive to replace. If someone thinks they know that would be great. thanks for any effort put in to this
What year is the car, GXE or SE, miles?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

thank you
Originally Posted by maxitech
reading > j00
Old 10-05-2009, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by maxitech
its a 93 se it has about 130000 miles
Old 10-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like VTC's would be the first thing to look into. Try grounding them. There are a million threads around here on VTC's and how to go about grounding them. Just do a search, grab a beer, and get comfortable because you could spend days with all the info on the subject.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 AM

LOL Sounds like the cat who gave you the quote is either misinformed or a jack***. Follow the lower rad hose to the water inlet, remove the water inlet where it connects to the thermostat housing and voila, thermostat! Very easy to do, man. Shouldn't take much time at all.

Last edited by tresboi; 10-06-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:13 PM

ok i want to know the exact model of my car, i dont know which i have.
its a 90 maxima
*automatic
*digital cluster
*buttons under the ashtray that lets you choose from comfort or sport suspension.
*moon roof
Old 10-07-2009, 04:45 PM

Tranny stuck in 2nd

Hey i have a 89 5 speed. The tranny was shot when i got her so i got a used one. Tore it apart and gave it a good cleaning. Got it back in and went throught the gears and all was fine. Went through em again and when i pulled it into neutral from reverse it stuck in a forward gear. I couldnt get to first second or third, barly into forth and could put it fifth and reverse. Whenever i did it would stall out so i was thinking maybe second was stuck. Tore it back apart and saw nuthing out of the ordinary. Put it back together and she drove fine till today. Shes stuck in second gear. Right now the trannys apart and still looks like nuthins wrong. Im thinking the springs that hold the barings for the selector shaffs are getting weak. I work at a shop and moved her this morning and she was fine. Went to move her and was stuck in a gear. So im just tryin to get other peaoples input or to see if anyones rin into this problem before.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

ok i want to know the exact model of my car, i dont know which i have.
its a 90 maxima
*automatic
*digital cluster
*buttons under the ashtray that lets you choose from comfort or sport suspension.
*moon roof
gxe (double check, if you have chrome trim around the windows, and it's not just painted and chipping off, it is a gxe.)
Never heard of any SE's coming with a digi-cluster, tho...

Last edited by BenStoked; 10-07-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:53 PM

Ok, I got everything I need to fix my exhaust leak in two weeks but just to be sure. Does the long threaded end of the exhaust stud goes to the manifold and the short threaded end goes to the head?
Old 10-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
gxe (double check, if you have chrome trim around the windows, and it's not just painted and chipping off, it is a gxe.)
Never heard of any SE's coming with a digi-cluster, tho...
it has chrome around the windows but not the pillars so its a gxe i guess
Old 10-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

it has chrome around the windows but not the pillars so its a gxe i guess
i think GXE also. easiest way is to look at the VIN plate on the firewall for the model code. HLJ30Dxxx or HLJ30Hxxx is GXE. HLJ30Gxxx is SE.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 PM

this may sound stupid but........ i need to replace my radiator and i saw a metal one and a plastic one for sale. which one would be better to purchase?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 PM

ok so i get my exhaust manifold fixed cuz the studs were broken flush and now the damn car shakes (yes i know i need to replace the motor mounts) i guess i didnt feel the big shake cuz the exhaust was leaking :/

my question is... what else should i get replaced while they change my motor mounts?
anything i should take advantage of changing while the engine is out so i wont have to do it later and spend more money?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

ok so i get my exhaust manifold fixed cuz the studs were broken flush and now the damn car shakes (yes i know i need to replace the motor mounts) i guess i didnt feel the big shake cuz the exhaust was leaking :/

my question is... what else should i get replaced while they change my motor mounts?
anything i should take advantage of changing while the engine is out so i wont have to do it later and spend more money?
motor mounts can be replaced without removing the engine btw. you just have to support the oilpan (block of wood to distribute weight evenly) so you can remove the mounts or the whole xmember.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

as caped said, no need to take the engine out. if you are set on taking it out, anyway,this would be an ideal time to change the timing belt kit (with water pump, belt tensioner, etc).
if your engine is vibrating that badly, you may want to check your injectors' resistances. I know my mounts are bad (), but it isn't really noticeable to most people who drive my car (aside from me).

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)