3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey do u know if any company have headers for a third gen
Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by "G"Rida300
hey do u know if any company have headers for a third gen
VG or VE? a guy on here had racing headers for VG for sale, i think he still has them. IIRC PaceSetter has VG headers as well but apparently lots of PaceSetters stuff has bad fitment issues so i wouldnt
Old 03-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

no i have a VE
Old 03-09-2011, 05:32 PM

Don't forget the NWP intake spacers that Aaron92SE makes.

http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenolic_Spacers.html
Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

got a question. just got a 93 maxima that turns 1 headlight (hi beam) on by itself. anyone else have this problem?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:30 PM
kthxbye2u

Originally Posted by tamscar
got a question. just got a 93 maxima that turns 1 headlight (hi beam) on by itself. anyone else have this problem?

Hi, Welcome to the forums.

Bad bulbs? Wiring?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by haynrasta
I have a 92 maxima that is having trouble keeping a steady idle in reverse an drive. I jus gave it a minor tune up (oil, filter, spark plugs, trans fluid) two of the spark plugs had little oil in it (3 & 5 to be exact) noticed it coming from valve cover, so i fixed it. Now everytime when I put the car in reverse or drive the rpms drop really low an sometimes dies out.. sounds like a stick shift when come to a stop an dies out.. wats funny is it idles fine in park or neutral. Someone told me that 1 or 2 of my cylinders are misfiring... wat u think??
My car has just one bad injector and it does basically the same thing! Idles almost unnoticeably rough in Neutral but the moment you put it into drive or reverse the revs drop to like 400rpm and most of the time the car just stalls off the line if its not revving high enough.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by tamscar
Mine did this for a while, It wasn't until the dash lights and brake light circuit also stopped working that I found it to be the headlight switch on the column. Replace! After checking bulbs of course.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

94 maxima se dohc 5speed timing set change out/etc.

Hey everyone, I recently was given a free 94 Nissan maxima SE DOHC 5 speed. model # VE30DE I know little about this car; therefore, I have been trying to do as much research on the car to start the repair process on the timing chain replacement, yet I have only been able to find info for the VG not the VE.

(Keep in mind I have not been able to test drive the car.)

My friend who gave me this beast said that he drove it for about 3 months and then parked it for another 6 due to a "horrible knocking sound." Well, thanks to his lack of knowledge on cars in general, I came to a rough diagnosis that the timing chain just needs to be replaced. (along with the seals, pulleys, water-pump, etc.) Although I've only taken the valve cover off to inspect preliminary visual aspect of the situation, I have yet to actually start a repair process because I suspect there could be further damage than what is seen.

So, as I mention before, I know little about the car but have the skill to do the repairs. I'm needing a little knowledge of what bumps in the road I may stumble upon, and maybe a few suggestions on other components that I will have access to while the timing cover is removed. Even a parts and tool list would be greatly appreciated. I'm going tomorrow to pick up a Chilton manual, and hopefully I can get this baby up and running.

Thanks for your time.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by crash86
Hey everyone, I recently was given a free 94 Nissan maxima SE DOHC 5 speed. model # VE30DE I know little about this car; therefore, I have been trying to do as much research on the car to start the repair process on the timing chain replacement, yet I have only been able to find info for the VG not the VE.

(Keep in mind I have not been able to test drive the car.)

My friend who gave me this beast said that he drove it for about 3 months and then parked it for another 6 due to a "horrible knocking sound." Well, thanks to his lack of knowledge on cars in general, I came to a rough diagnosis that the timing chain just needs to be replaced. (along with the seals, pulleys, water-pump, etc.) Although I've only taken the valve cover off to inspect preliminary visual aspect of the situation, I have yet to actually start a repair process because I suspect there could be further damage than what is seen.

So, as I mention before, I know little about the car but have the skill to do the repairs. I'm needing a little knowledge of what bumps in the road I may stumble upon, and maybe a few suggestions on other components that I will have access to while the timing cover is removed. Even a parts and tool list would be greatly appreciated. I'm going tomorrow to pick up a Chilton manual, and hopefully I can get this baby up and running.

Thanks for your time.

I found this diagram as well just no procedures, it's what I'm having to work with at the moment.

http://www.autopartslib.com/search/v...+chain+diagram
Old 03-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Factory Service Manual (FSM) is your friend

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1994/

As for the knocking sound, it could be the variable timing control (VTC) solenoids. Search and you should see plenty of results about it.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jbbons25
Factory Service Manual (FSM) is your friend

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1994/

As for the knocking sound, it could be the variable timing control (VTC) solenoids. Search and you should see plenty of results about it.

right on yeah, my step-dad and I are trying to get everything in order so we can Knock this job out. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 PM

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I have a 92 maxima VE and every time I'm driving the car just cuts off. I'm really trying to figure out why this is happening. I cleaned the ICV but that didn't seem to help because it still stalls out when sitting in idle. I have changed so many parts on it I don't know what else to do. Any help will be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by kingscrappy
Well I have a 92 maxima VE and every time I'm driving the car just cuts off. I'm really trying to figure out why this is happening. I cleaned the ICV but that didn't seem to help because it still stalls out when sitting in idle. I have changed so many parts on it I don't know what else to do. Any help will be great. Thanks in advance.
can you hear the fuel pump?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by chrome91
can you hear the fuel pump?
I haven't tried listening but since you said that I will see can I hear it. When I cut the car on I hear it but when it cuts off I haven't tried listening because the car is still moving.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I NEED HELP ASAP!!!

i need help guys..i got a 92 maxima se dohc no abs and no traction control..i just replaced a whole axle with what i thought didnt have traction control..come to find out the axle is for traction control...will this hurt nething? it seems to ride fine but has a slight vibe to it..nothing real noticable but its there..will this hurt it? pls ne answer at this point would help..thx
Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by nissiman
i need help guys..i got a 92 maxima se dohc no abs and no traction control..i just replaced a whole axle with what i thought didnt have traction control..come to find out the axle is for traction control...will this hurt nething? it seems to ride fine but has a slight vibe to it..nothing real noticable but its there..will this hurt it? pls ne answer at this point would help..thx
we don't have a traction option, just ABS. if the axle is the same, aside from the ring on the wheel it should be fine.
a vibration has been known to come from reman axles.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BenStoked
we don't have a traction option, just ABS. if the axle is the same, aside from the ring on the wheel it should be fine.
a vibration has been known to come from reman axles.
thx..finally got an answer and not a smarta** remark..some nerds keep callin me a noob cause i just signd up the other day..flamming me because im noob over the net? really? everyone is there at one point lmfao..but thx..also the vibe isnt that noticable or "dire" so it shld be ok to use u think? nething helps
Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1990 maxima

I bought My Maxima about a year ago. Car was shaky since the day I bought it did tune up and still. I found 3 vacuum hoses connected to nowhere one is EGR I dont know where the line goes to. Im adding some pictures. Hopefully someone can help. Also found a vacuum with no hose, I have no idea what that part is called Im also adding a picture of that.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

^^^ top one is the line that goes to the heater valve, iirc.
second one is for the auto, that's "normal" (possibly why they are called "autotragics")
Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi

I hope I've not missed something in the faqs but at this point I'm still looking for help

I recently got a 91 maxima that has a lot of power options; Naturally it worked perfectly upon purchase and a couple things have since gone wrong:

1, one headlight stopped working. I took it to a shop who swiched in a new one, and it still did not light up so for now I didn't have them replace it. Seems like this one might cost me as it's not a fuse or something easy.. but in any case I'm a little more interested in my second issue given the weather the last couple weeks.

2, Power window switches stopped working. One day they just stopped. I've pulled the driver side door panel off and looked at the control box for all the switches; everything looks quite good, but I didnt' go as far as opening the box at all thinking that wasn't a good idea - I see as far as these problems go, the master switch unit box is the thing to replace. so far I have a price of 50$ - do you think I have a shot of replacing this and fixing the problem? Might i find better than a 50$ price?

I can add, after setting up the keyless entry code, the WDW button does roll the front two windows down, but now they are stuck down after this happened my girl tells me the windows worked the next day for about ten minutes, but have not since.

Thank you for your time!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by abeehc
Hi

I hope I've not missed something in the faqs but at this point I'm still looking for help
Hey I just came across this which strikes me as quite funny:
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB92-007.pdf

We did have to jump the car and as far as I can remember that might ahve been close to when the windows pretty well gave up - Does this still indicate replacing that master switch thing is the way to go?

Thanks again
Old 03-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BenStoked
^^^ top one is the line that goes to the heater valve, iirc.
second one is for the auto, that's "normal" (possibly why they are called "autotragics")
Sorry, i dont know much about cars parts... I just drive and thats it. Can you please help me, locate the heater valve? I have no Idea where all that goes to.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Missy80
Sorry, i dont know much about cars parts... I just drive and thats it. Can you please help me, locate the heater valve? I have no Idea where all that goes to.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by abeehc
Hi

I recently got a 91 maxima that has a lot of power options; Naturally it worked perfectly upon purchase and a couple things have since gone wrong:

1, one headlight stopped working. I took it to a shop who swiched in a new one, and it still did not light up so for now I didn't have them replace it. Seems like this one might cost me as it's not a fuse or something easy.. but in any case I'm a little more interested in my second issue given the weather the last couple weeks.
Steering Column switch
Old 03-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a question! im pretty sure my transmission is lagging becuase it takes about two seconds to switch to the next gear! could it be the whole transmission? or could it be the be a bad Torque Converter?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:11 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by gamer082
I have a question! im pretty sure my transmission is lagging becuase it takes about two seconds to switch to the next gear! could it be the whole transmission? or could it be the be a bad Torque Converter?
what do you mean it takes two seconds to switch to the next gear?
like, reverse>wait> drive? or 1st>shift point> wait>2nd?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Timing Chain Kit???

Okay so Ive posted once before and got really good help! So I'm trying again.
Im looking for a timing chain kit for my VE30DE, but cant seem to actually find a kit. I called Nissan, and they told me that I was going to have to buy each part individually. LAME!
Anyways, I've found a kit for the VQ30DE, and wanted to know if would be a compatible match. If not could anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got it thanks I will show you a pic of what my bro did the lines...will post them in a few...

Last edited by Missy80; 03-18-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This are the other lines i found lose... My brother placed a line from the conner of the intake manifold valve to the valve of the piece of picture #2 and removed the hose that was lose.

Last edited by Missy80; 03-18-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

basically 1st>shift point> wait>2nd!!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:12 AM

This are the other lines i found lose... My brother placed a line from the conner of the intake manifold valve to the valve of the piece of picture #2 and removed the hose that was lose.

#1 is the transmission breather hose. Leave it as is.

#2 and #3 are somewhat connected to each other. It's for the power valve actuator that you posted on #2 with the loose hose.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507...-maxima/page-3

Look under Power Valve Sysem on that page and that should take care of it.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My question is concerning headlights. I have a 2000 maxima and my headlights are really starting to get cloudy/hazy. I am looking to replace these and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?
I also was to upgrade to HID's.
I was looking at the Anzo Halo Projector headlights http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...A1R121111.html but i wasn't sure if these were garbage or not. Could anyone help?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:01 PM

you need the 5th gen section, this is the 3rd gen section of non-clouding glass headlight sexyness
Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im pretty sure my transmissions going out! so i got a friend who's selling his 3gen maxima to me for like 300 but it caught on fire so its not movable.
so what im thinking is to take his transmission and replacing it to mine.
my question is whats the estimate of a mechanic putting the transmission on my maxima?
if i provide the provide the transmission
Old 03-20-2011, 05:01 AM

Im pretty sure my transmissions going out! so i got a friend who's selling his 3gen maxima to me for like 300 but it caught on fire so its not movable.
my question is whats the estimate of a mechanic putting the transmission on my maxima?
Considering the vast difference in prices not only from region to region but mechanic to mechanic, perhaps calling one would be more helpful. Alternatively, perhaps somebody on the org lives near you and could assist with you doing an installation, not something I can answer for.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 AM

for a mechanic if you bring all of the stuff, its probably going to be the usual $80/hour of labour and such. however youre probably better off to see if someone on here will help you, most will help for a bit of cash and a case of beer or whatnot
Old 03-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

#1 is the transmission breather hose. Leave it as is.

#2 and #3 are somewhat connected to each other. It's for the power valve actuator that you posted on #2 with the loose hose.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507...-maxima/page-3

Look under Power Valve Sysem on that page and that should take care of it.
Thanks for ur help.... and yes the lose line on pic number #2 suppose to go at the conner of the intake as shown to me by anothe member of this site. And the line from picture 3 goes on 2... Bought the car like that... drove it like that for a year and wondering how long the previous owner drove it like that. Just wanted to get those lines out the way. Those that has anything to do with the injector? I took the car to diagnose and it came out with two bad sensor Oxygen and speed sensors. From there the mechanic went under the hood and did spark plug check and have 3 bad injectors.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks for ur help.... and yes the lose line on pic number #2 suppose to go at the conner of the intake as shown to me by anothe member of this site. And the line from picture 3 goes on 2... Bought the car like that... drove it like that for a year and wondering how long the previous owner drove it like that. Just wanted to get those lines out the way. Those that has anything to do with the injector? I took the car to diagnose and it came out with two bad sensor Oxygen and speed sensors. From there the mechanic went under the hood and did spark plug check and have 3 bad injectors.
How does it drive right now? Even with 1 bad injector the car would be performing bad. If the mechanic checked the car with those loose ends, fix those first (and make sure you don't have any intake leaks) and then re-check.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some insight to a problem i'm having with my 93 Nissan Maxima.

I have an issue with it shifting kind of hard from 1st to 2nd gear (The rpms rev up to around 2500 in that shift, could it be slipping?) and it shifts a bit sluggishly from 2nd to 3rd. Could I be looking at a major problem here? Or is it something simple?

Any help would be nice, thank you guys. Best Regards.

*Forgot to mention that it's an Auto Transmission, I checked the fluid and it seems like it was replaced not that long ago, it's not completely red but it doesn't smell burnt either. I always drive with the A/T switch in the middle (Auto?) position. During normal driving the car seems to remain at around a steady 2000rpm (with O/D on all the time)

*I should also mention that sometimes the shift from 1st to 2nd is actually smooth, especially when turning, but usually it sounds (and feels) like a thump. Same goes for the shift from 2nd to 3rd - sometimes its barely noticeable

Last edited by MaximaFan2011; 03-22-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)