3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
er.. the plug for the front injector subharness is on the driver side of the engine near where the EGR valve is.. there's a 2x2 plug (injectors) and a 2x3 plug (iacv) right around that area... i think it comes out from under where the vac hardlines and stuff are.
Ok now i'm stumped. All 4 wires between the injector harness and ecu harness ohm @ 00.5, so I assume that means virtually no resistance.

Now what? I'm stumped
Old 11-06-2009, 08:17 AM

I've found that Warpspeed made a Y pipe for the VG engine, but are there any Y pipes / headers available for the VE engine?
Old 11-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by koceja
Ok now i'm stumped. All 4 wires between the injector harness and ecu harness ohm @ 00.5, so I assume that means virtually no resistance.

Now what? I'm stumped
then maybe the injector is just clogged.

do you have a spare distributor you could plug in and spin to make the injectors fire w/o the engine running? that way if you unplug all the injectors except #2 you can listen for it clicking.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by wpendl1
I've found that Warpspeed made a Y pipe for the VG engine, but are there any Y pipes / headers available for the VE engine?
ypipe yes, headers no.

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm
Old 11-06-2009, 10:09 AM

Thanks Wookie!
Old 11-07-2009, 06:10 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by bigb007
So one of my fuel injectors died today. I went to start the car tonight and it ran really bad and had a check engine light. It was code 51- fuel injector circuit open. So, I used my trusty DMM to ohm out the injectors. Sure enough, the front center injector was open.
I have searched the forums, and have found that the front injectors are supposed to be quicker and easier to replace. Some say my front center injector can be done in 20 minutes.
My question is: How do I replace the front center injector in 20 minutes as claimed?
you can't on a GXE.
The SE you can
Old 11-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you can't on a GXE.
The SE you can
not on a 89-91SE
Old 11-09-2009, 12:03 PM

anyone know the size of the locknut holding the front hub on, on the 92 se? i dont have the right size and need to go buy one, dont want to get the wrong size
Old 11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by PMAX08
anyone know the size of the locknut holding the front hub on, on the 92 se? i dont have the right size and need to go buy one, dont want to get the wrong size
axle locknut is 36mm. it's gonna be on hella tight tho so be prepared to strain a muscle or two haha. tightening torque is 230 lb/ft (iirc the highest torque of any bolt on the whole car)
Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 PM

great thanks, is it better to use a wrench when taking it off? a ratchet might break or no? will a well made 3/4'' ratchet hold up to 230 lbs?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by PMAX08
great thanks, is it better to use a wrench when taking it off? a ratchet might break or no? will a well made 3/4'' ratchet hold up to 230 lbs?
er, a wrench probably won't fit inside the hub. i used a 1/2" breaker bar to bet it loose. 3/4" and 4ft handle should be better tho. i have broken breaker bars/ratchets on these things before... not on a maxima tho.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:50 PM

probably the stupid question of the day but does the old school VG30E used in Z31 and 2nd gens fit into 3rd gens without alot of work? for when i go turbo i'm wondering if it would just be easiest to get a VG30ET from a turbo Z31 and do a engine swap, it would be easy to get a engine from the junkyard and a fair bit of Z31 pop up
Old 11-10-2009, 08:33 PM

Help

I have a burned up fuel injector. the wire connector reads a constant 13.43 volts going to that injector. The other injectors have a constant 0.34 volts going to them. If i replace the injector is it just gonna burn up again? what could cause this constant high voltage?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Also i am going to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets. is it possible to replace the rear (fire wall side) gasket without dropping the engine?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by chrome91
probably the stupid question of the day but does the old school VG30E used in Z31 and 2nd gens fit into 3rd gens without alot of work? for when i go turbo i'm wondering if it would just be easiest to get a VG30ET from a turbo Z31 and do a engine swap, it would be easy to get a engine from the junkyard and a fair bit of Z31 pop up
depends on your definition of "alot of work". if it's 87 or newer it's basically pretty easy. if you want a z31 turbo manifold thingy then just take the manifolds and oil feed tube and whatnot and put it on your stock 9:1CR VG.. the reason that the z31 had such low compression on the turbo motor was b/c it had no intercooler.

now if it's an older motor, an a/b block instead of the newer w block, then the crank pulley might be an issue. they make a spacer (which i bought for my Z project, for this very reason) to allow you to put an EARLY model pulley on a LATE model motor. I don't think it would work out if you tried to go the other way around though (late model aka 3rd gen pulley on an older z/early 2nd gen motor)... but I could be wrong.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Mattx4
I have a burned up fuel injector. the wire connector reads a constant 13.43 volts going to that injector. The other injectors have a constant 0.34 volts going to them. If i replace the injector is it just gonna burn up again? what could cause this constant high voltage?
a short or bad wiring maybe. which position injector? (front/rear, passenger side, middle, or driverside)
Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 PM

depends on your definition of "alot of work". if it's 87 or newer it's basically pretty easy. if you want a z31 turbo manifold thingy then just take the manifolds and oil feed tube and whatnot and put it on your stock 9:1CR VG.. the reason that the z31 had such low compression on the turbo motor was b/c it had no intercooler.

now if it's an older motor, an a/b block instead of the newer w block, then the crank pulley might be an issue. they make a spacer (which i bought for my Z project, for this very reason) to allow you to put an EARLY model pulley on a LATE model motor. I don't think it would work out if you tried to go the other way around though (late model aka 3rd gen pulley on an older z/early 2nd gen motor)... but I could be wrong.
so i could take the turbo and stick it on my current VG30E? i might just do that then. the reason im fixed on the Z31 turbo is i dont want to go with a intercooler just yet. my cousins friend buys old rusted cars and turbo's them for fun when he's bored so i'll see if when a fresh Z31 turbo comes in he'll go with me and help me grab it all
Old 11-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

so i could take the turbo and stick it on my current VG30E? i might just do that then. the reason im fixed on the Z31 turbo is i dont want to go with a intercooler just yet. my cousins friend buys old rusted cars and turbo's them for fun when he's bored so i'll see if when a fresh Z31 turbo comes in he'll go with me and help me grab it all
eh, i mean you'll need bigger injectors and nistune or JWT ECU so you don't grenade the engine from running bad air/fuel ratios. but yea the z31t manifolds/turbo will bolt on as long as you swap some exhaust studs around into the "spare" holes on the um... LH head i think. Same setup Maxpwer has, with the turbo flipped around for better fitment in the FWD maxima. And there's no reason to avoid an intercooler.. it's easier to put an intercooler in now and run the 9:1CR motor than it is to skip the intercooler now and be stuck with a low-comp motor after you finally get around to tossing on an intercooler. Especially for how much of an HP difference that's gonna make.... but if you can't afford injectors and tuning software yet then just hold off until you can. not to mention you have to rig up your oil and coolant lines for the trubo, probably want a turbo timer, stiffer motor mounts, and a 5spd swap. i'd say do the 5spd swap first, then save up money for a properly tuned turbo setup instead of the ghetto untuned **** that indiana guy cobbled together.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 PM

hey. when my friend and i was putting my new raidiator in my car i lost some tranny fluid. now my car kind of pulls itself foward (just a little, only i knotice it because i drive it everyday). it didnt do this before... do i need more fluid. if so what kind should i get and where do i put it in.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:07 PM

yeah 5spd swap first, wouldnt want to do it with my auto tranny because i rarely get over 3k rpm

this ECU (for after the 5spd swap), right? http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=147

i'll slowly gather everything then just go for a modest setup with a intercooler i guess, dont want ghetto crap. most intercoolers will fit with a stock front bumper right?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yeah 5spd swap first, wouldnt want to do it with my auto tranny because i rarely get over 3k rpm

this ECU (for after the 5spd swap), right? http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=147

i'll slowly gather everything then just go for a modest setup with a intercooler i guess, dont want ghetto crap. most intercoolers will fit with a stock front bumper right?
a/t ecu works fine with a 5spd swap, i got almost 32mpg highway on an a/t ecu and 5spd tranny. don't bother getting another ECU or Nistune software until after you already have the turbo setup in the works. just be sure to tell them it's for a VG30E 9:1CR turbo with whatever CC injectors, z32 MAF (you're gonna need one of those unless you're not planning to make very much HP since the SOHC VG MAF doesn't register an increase beyond a certain airflow level), 5spd, and whatever emissions spec you use. Or get nistune and you can tune it as often as you like (even save multiple tuning profiles for differeng fuel grades, etc) yourself using a laptop and USB cable. You can probably drag and drop a downloadable profile that someone else made using the same CR/injector/maf/etc setup as you, to give you a good baseline, then you can make small adjustments from there. o and make sure to get a wideband o2 sensor (with narrowband emulation)

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 11-11-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:25 PM

oh it pulls itself foward when im at a complete stop.... i forgot to mention it earlier
Old 11-11-2009, 08:29 PM

looks good, i'll see if i can find any Z31 turbo around here

just out of curiosity with a Z31 turbo/intercooler, how much more HP approx. would be gained? i'm looking to get the Max to at least 250hp, but preferably 300
Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

looks good, i'll see if i can find any Z31 turbo around here

just out of curiosity with a Z31 turbo/intercooler, how much more HP approx. would be gained? i'm looking to get the Max to at least 250hp, but preferably 300
depends what year turbo (or if you swap it out for some other same-flange turbo), how aggressive your tune is, and how efficient your intercooler is but maxpwer's t3/t4 hybrid setup using those manifolds makes over 300WHP. Dunno what PSI and the exact specs of his turbo, but with a stock z31 t3 turbo you can easily do 250-300.. i mean without an intercooler and at medium-low pressure the z31 turbo made 205hp. jack the boost up and add an intercooler and the gains shouldn't disappoint.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Dinglekidd
hey. when my friend and i was putting my new raidiator in my car i lost some tranny fluid. now my car kind of pulls itself foward (just a little, only i knotice it because i drive it everyday). it didnt do this before... do i need more fluid. if so what kind should i get and where do i put it in.
check the tranny dipstick and add dexron-III fluid as needed. trannies that are low on fluid do some weird **** not to mention it's not good for them to be low (or too high)
Old 11-11-2009, 08:49 PM

ok thanks. it had me worried. your the best bro(no homo) lol
Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 PM

depends what year turbo (or if you swap it out for some other same-flange turbo), how aggressive your tune is, and how efficient your intercooler is but maxpwer's t3/t4 hybrid setup using those manifolds makes over 300WHP. Dunno what PSI and the exact specs of his turbo, but with a stock z31 t3 turbo you can easily do 250-300.. i mean without an intercooler and at medium-low pressure the z31 turbo made 205hp. jack the boost up and add an intercooler and the gains shouldn't disappoint.
looks good, i just need to get some minor things done like Eibachs on (cant stand the body roll on stock GXE springs), and then start hunting down a 5spd tranny
Old 11-11-2009, 10:32 PM

Also i am going to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets. is it possible to replace the rear (fire wall side) gasket without dropping the engine?
It can be done. I changed the rear manifold gasket and the studs on the heads and didn't need to drop it.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by jbbons25
It can be done. I changed the rear manifold gasket and the studs on the heads and didn't need to drop it.
from above or from below, or a painstaking combo of the two?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 PM

Yea. Had to keep goin up and down. But I used a car lift and I don't want to know how hard it would be without it.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:17 AM

I found a guy with a rusty Z31 turbo that has a good tranny and engine, he said the turbo is in good shape and he would take offers on just the turbo or the whole car. pick n pull sells turbo's for $68.99, is $100 a decent offer for a good Z31 turbo (not the whole car)?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I found a guy with a rusty Z31 turbo that has a good tranny and engine, he said the turbo is in good shape and he would take offers on just the turbo or the whole car. pick n pull sells turbo's for $68.99, is $100 a decent offer for a good Z31 turbo (not the whole car)?
well see what he wants for the full exhaust manifold/crossover, and turbo, and downpipe flange. cuz you'd probably need all of that just to make your life easy by using all matching parts.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:20 PM

a short or bad wiring maybe. which position injector? (front/rear, passenger side, middle, or driverside)
It's the front passenger side injector (#2 cylinder). i got the connection off without removing the intake. the plug is getting spark but when i pull the plug wire it doesn't change the way the car runs. this is the only injector connector putting out any substantial voltage constantly whether the ignition is on or off. And about the exhaust manifold, can i get it off to change the gasket without dropping the engine? It's the rear (firewall side) manifold.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by jbbons25
did you have to remove all of the studs to get the gasket in or did the header clear the studs and come all the way off??
Old 11-12-2009, 08:40 PM

well see what he wants for the full exhaust manifold/crossover, and turbo, and downpipe flange. cuz you'd probably need all of that just to make your life easy by using all matching parts.
bish wants to sell it whole now, i would consider taking all the turbo parts and making the Z31 a NA track car but i dont think its JDM so i dont really want it

i posted a online ad and i found a guy who owns a Nissan only junkyard, he said he should have a 5spd 3rd gen and a Z31 turbo
Old 11-13-2009, 12:02 AM

did you have to remove all of the studs to get the gasket in or did the header clear the studs and come all the way off??
It can be taken off with the studs on. I changed the studs to make sure I had the superceded ones installed. Two bolts were used on the rear manifold
Old 11-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

bish wants to sell it whole now, i would consider taking all the turbo parts and making the Z31 a NA track car but i dont think its JDM so i dont really want it

i posted a online ad and i found a guy who owns a Nissan only junkyard, he said he should have a 5spd 3rd gen and a Z31 turbo
seriosly dude? JDM doesn't mean ****......... other than having the wheel on the other side of the car. and in a country that drives on the right side of the road, it's a safety hazard to have the wheel on the wrong side, otherwise cars worldwide would have it on the same side no matter what side of the road they drove on.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:49 PM

seriosly dude? JDM doesn't mean ****......... other than having the wheel on the other side of the car. and in a country that drives on the right side of the road, it's a safety hazard to have the wheel on the wrong side, otherwise cars worldwide would have it on the same side no matter what side of the road they drove on.
meh i just like JDM lol, i would kill for a JDM 3rd gen Maxima but a guy i know in Japan said he see's very few. i prefer driving on the right too/feeling of it

the guy with the junkyard says he has a turbo Z31, and he has Z32 and Skylines. Hes 7 hours away from me but if i can get the full turbo setup and 5spd it would be worth it
Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 AM

hey guys. I'm replacing a fuel injector on my 91 se. besides the intake gaskets, are there any other O rings or gaskets i'm going to need? any advice?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:56 AM

hey guys. I'm replacing a fuel injector on my 91 se. besides the intake gaskets, are there any other O rings or gaskets i'm going to need? any advice?
you'll need new fuel injector o-rings, do not reuse the old ones, they will fail and leak.
courtesyparts.com has all the part #'s and drawings you need.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)