3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010 | 09:50 AM

radiator leak -_-
yes i already ordered a new one just haven't got it yet.
so i need to find a way to still use the car intill i get it.
i have a bottle of "bars stop leak with pellets" but dont know how to use it cuz the instructions are confusing as f*ck.

oh yea is it hard replacing the new radiator when i get it or should i go to a mechanic?
i replaced the bypass and the upper hose like 5 months ago and just bought the lower one. i looked under the car and the leak is on passenger side like where that skinny hose is on the radiator. it trickles down my crossmember and on my splash guard. so the leak is coming from the that lower corner of the radiator.
btw what hose is this skinny one im talking about? so i can buy a new one.
thanks
Old 04-12-2010 | 10:13 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
radiator leak -_-
i have a bottle of "bars stop leak with pellets" but dont know how to use it cuz the instructions are confusing as f*ck.

oh yea is it hard replacing the new radiator when i get it or should i go to a mechanic?
i replaced the bypass and the upper hose like 5 months ago and just bought the lower one. i looked under the car and the leak is on passenger side like where that skinny hose is on the radiator. it trickles down my crossmember and on my splash guard. so the leak is coming from the that lower corner of the radiator.
thanks
eh, i wouldn't recommend the pellets crap.. even after you change the radiator, that stuff will still be in the rest of the cooling system (block, heads, heater core, hoses, water pump)

the skinny hose on top? that's the overflow tube that allows coolant to leave and re-enter the cooling system so it can remain at a constant pressure.

the other 2 "skinny hoses" are on the bottom of the radiator, and that's for the stock transmission cooler built into the bottom of the radiator.
Old 04-12-2010 | 10:16 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

radiator leak -_-

thanks
The radiator serves dual function as an engine cooler (radiator) and a trans cooler. I believe the "skinny" hose to be a trans cooler line (it's smaller in diameter than a quarter, right?), because I recall the upper and lower radiator lines being the same size. not sure where to get the trans lines at.
Old 04-12-2010 | 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
eh, i wouldn't recommend the pellets crap.. even after you change the radiator, that stuff will still be in the rest of the cooling system (block, heads, heater core, hoses, water pump)

the skinny hose on top? that's the overflow tube that allows coolant to leave and re-enter the cooling system so it can remain at a constant pressure.

the other 2 "skinny hoses" are on the bottom of the radiator, and that's for the stock transmission cooler built into the bottom of the radiator.
yea i poured it in my radiator like a hour ago and didnt put the pellets in then i filled the radiator with anti freeze till it over flowed and then drove it for half an hour and it hasnt leaked yet so lets see if itll hold up till my new one arrives.

Originally Posted by BenStoked
The radiator serves dual function as an engine cooler (radiator) and a trans cooler. I believe the "skinny" hose to be a trans cooler line (it's smaller in diameter than a quarter, right?), because I recall the upper and lower radiator lines being the same size. not sure where to get the trans lines at.
yea its that one, its on the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side.
i dont think the hose is damaged but i just thought i might as well replace it since its old.
Old 04-12-2010 | 11:53 AM

oh yea i had posted this before but it got skipped -__-
im thinking of changing my 2 bad injectors this weekend so i wanted to know what hoses i should replace when doing this.
Old 04-12-2010 | 11:55 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

oh yea i had posted this before but it got skipped -__-
im thinking of changing my 2 bad injectors this weekend so i wanted to know what hoses i should replace when doing this.
whichever ones break during disassembly

and/or whichever ones feel or look brittle. it's a call-it-as-you-see-it type of thing.
Old 04-13-2010 | 06:57 PM

i got a 91 maxima 5spd, and it runs good and everything, but before i bought the car the previous owner said he tightened the belt on the car for me and while driving it i hear this noise like a small motoror ticking kinda...kinda like a blower but its not...i opened the hood and it was the pulleys on the belt...it doesnt look like anythings wrong with it...it doesnt look like its loose or anything...i was thinkin maybe the guy tightened it too much...but not sure...
sooo is it a big prob?
Old 04-13-2010 | 08:28 PM

moar n00bery

previous owner of my 3rd gen did the timing bet at 380,000km in 2004, and now in 2010 its at about 420,000km. i know mileage-wise its good for quite a while, but something is sticking in my mind about the mileage or every 7 years, whichever comes first

just wondering because if it is 7 years i'll do it this year
Old 04-13-2010 | 08:45 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by chrome91
moar n00bery

previous owner of my 3rd gen did the timing bet at 380,000km in 2004, and now in 2010 its at about 420,000km. i know mileage-wise its good for quite a while, but something is sticking in my mind about the mileage or every 7 years, whichever comes first

just wondering because if it is 7 years i'll do it this year
idk about 7 years, but would believe it.
When in doubt, do it.
Old 04-13-2010 | 10:51 PM

yeah i was thinking just do it because of the if she snapped

its ~700ish for a dealer to do right? JSmax has a card that can get 10% off if the Nissan dealership does it, timing belt is one of those things i dont trust myself in doing
Old 04-13-2010 | 11:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by newbi_maxi
i got a 91 maxima 5spd, and it runs good and everything, but before i bought the car the previous owner said he tightened the belt on the car for me and while driving it i hear this noise like a small motoror ticking kinda...kinda like a blower but its not...i opened the hood and it was the pulleys on the belt...it doesnt look like anythings wrong with it...it doesnt look like its loose or anything...i was thinkin maybe the guy tightened it too much...but not sure...
sooo is it a big prob?
maybe one of the idler pulleys has a worn out bearing that's clicking there's 2.. 1 for waterpump/ps, and one for a/c. or maybe your water pump itself is making noise. easy way to find out what belt is causing the noise is to disconnect them one at a time until the noise goes away (turn the car off each time obviously). and if it doesn't ever go away then it's not a problem with the belts at all.
Old 04-14-2010 | 10:36 AM

whichever ones break during disassembly

and/or whichever ones feel or look brittle. it's a call-it-as-you-see-it type of thing.
lmao wtf
doesnt sound good -__-

oh yea i put the bars leak and it did nothing
went to auto zone and bought a cheaper one the guy recommended and it worked jus fine. woke up this morning and no leak. now im jus waiting for my new radiator in the mail.

oh yea when i start my car it makes a loud whining noise like a screeching, its a nasty sound. i have to step onda gas for it to go away right away. i changed all my belts and water pump 6 months ago. could it be a loose belt?

Last edited by nyc_ink; 04-14-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-14-2010 | 11:11 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

lmao wtf
doesnt sound good -__-

oh yea i put the bars leak and it did nothing
went to auto zone and bought a cheaper one the guy recommended and it worked jus fine. woke up this morning and no leak. now im jus waiting for my new radiator in the mail.

oh yea when i start my car it makes a loud whining noise like a screeching, its a nasty sound. i have to step onda gas for it to go away right away. i changed all my belts and water pump 6 months ago. could it be a loose belt?
could be. could be wet or greasy belt as well.
Old 04-15-2010 | 01:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what is the fuel pressure supposed to be on a 93 maxima.
thanks
A/M/G
Old 04-15-2010 | 07:54 PM

What kind of wheels will I be able to fit on my 3.gen without hitting the strut and rubbing the fenders?

I guess I'm even able to fit 19", but at what width and ET?? I've seen that the inner clearance is pretty slim..
Old 04-16-2010 | 04:05 AM

could be. could be wet or greasy belt as well.
so i got my new radiator and i installed it myself. in the process some red liquid came out the two skinny hoses on the bottom of the radiator. all the f*kkin parts that hold the screws in the fan broke so now i cant screw the fan back in plus my radiator mount on the top the screw broke off so now i cant screw it in , smh, lol

2 quick questions bro.

1.what is that liquid and do i have to add more since it leaked a lil bit?

2.now that the radiator is installed, is there anything i need to do as in making air come out radiator or something?

thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2010 | 04:42 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

so i got my new radiator and i installed it myself. in the process some red liquid came out the two skinny hoses on the bottom of the radiator. all the f*kkin parts that hold the screws in the fan broke so now i cant screw the fan back in plus my radiator mount on the top the screw broke off so now i cant screw it in , smh, lol

2 quick questions bro.

1.what is that liquid and do i have to add more since it leaked a lil bit?

2.now that the radiator is installed, is there anything i need to do as in making air come out radiator or something?

thanks in advance
1) check your transmission fluid level; if it's low, add more.
2) pull up a steep incline (or jack your car up in the front). with the engine runing, turn heater on. open rad cap, and wait.
Old 04-16-2010 | 07:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I guess no one knows the fuel pressure. It appears to be a secret.
Old 04-16-2010 | 08:21 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by A/M/G
I guess no one knows the fuel pressure. It appears to be a secret.
slow your roll, bro. 12 hours may seem alot, but it isn't, really.

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...-idel-wot.html
Old 04-16-2010 | 11:06 AM

1) check your transmission fluid level; if it's low, add more.
2) pull up a steep incline (or jack your car up in the front). with the engine runing, turn heater on. open rad cap, and wait.
FML my heater does not work lmao i know there has to be another way right? lol
Old 04-16-2010 | 11:17 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

'cuase there is air in the system, still.
keep bleeding, until the heater works, and it's not burping, anymore.
then do it a little while longer.

the OG's don't seem to like it much, but I got a prestone coolant flush kit(http://www.google.com/products?q=pre...ed=0CBEQrQQwAA). I also recall autozone selling just the "T" fitting.
put it on the top heater hose, I can bleed on flat ground, just have to work the air out by shaking/massaging that heater hose (wear heavy duty gloves; welding gloves work great, if you have some), and carefully pouring water/coolant into it (usually pour the 50/50 in the radiator, and add water; it rarely ever gets 0* here, so that's fine for my area).
Old 04-16-2010 | 01:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

heater doesn't work as a result of replacing your radiator? or you mean the hvac controls on the dash don't work properly?
Old 04-16-2010 | 01:07 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

slow your roll, bro. 12 hours may seem alot, but it isn't, really.

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...-idel-wot.html
... yet you could find it by searching, but he could not. that or he tried searching but didn't switch it to sort by "relevancy" like the sticky says to.
Old 04-16-2010 | 09:43 PM

'cuase there is air in the system, still.
keep bleeding, until the heater works, and it's not burping, anymore.
then do it a little while longer.

the OG's don't seem to like it much, but I got a prestone coolant flush kit(http://www.google.com/products?q=pre...ed=0CBEQrQQwAA). I also recall autozone selling just the "T" fitting.
put it on the top heater hose, I can bleed on flat ground, just have to work the air out by shaking/massaging that heater hose (wear heavy duty gloves; welding gloves work great, if you have some), and carefully pouring water/coolant into it (usually pour the 50/50 in the radiator, and add water; it rarely ever gets 0* here, so that's fine for my area).
k so i installed it and it was leakin from the radiator cap so i bought a new one and now its fine. ran it on idle for 20 mins and no overheat then again for 15 mins so im good. ill see if the heater works 2morrow but it didnt work inda winter tho.

heater doesn't work as a result of replacing your radiator? or you mean the hvac controls on the dash don't work properly?
idk man last winter i froze my a$$ off cuz the heat never worked. im thinking heater core is done maybe. idk if the AC works yet imma have to get it recharged n see if it works.

Last edited by nyc_ink; 04-16-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2010 | 10:15 PM

anyone know if the 4th gen Mishimoto radiator will work on a 3rd gen? longshot, but Mishimoto seems to only have 4th gen radiator

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-p...ima-95-99.html
Old 04-19-2010 | 04:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi I have a 93 maxima that wont start. I was driving going like 10 mph then the car had all of a sudden shut off. weeks later i found out the timing belt had broke had it replaced and still no start it just putters like it wants to. thanks any thoughts would help..
Old 04-19-2010 | 07:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What are the essential gaskets i need to replace when changing the injectors? I got this car to flip so the easier the better. I dont want to take everything off and replace and clean when doing this. I just want to throw in some injectors and off the thing. Is it just upper and lower manifold gaskets? TIA.
Old 04-19-2010 | 07:56 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by DarkZ31
Hi I have a 93 maxima that wont start. I was driving going like 10 mph then the car had all of a sudden shut off. weeks later i found out the timing belt had broke had it replaced and still no start it just putters like it wants to. thanks any thoughts would help..
valves are probably bent
Originally Posted by Dapperson
What are the essential gaskets i need to replace when changing the injectors? I got this car to flip so the easier the better. I dont want to take everything off and replace and clean when doing this. I just want to throw in some injectors and off the thing. Is it just upper and lower manifold gaskets? TIA.
pretty much.
Old 04-19-2010 | 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by DarkZ31
VG30E=interference motor=if timing belt breaks, easiest to get a new engine
Old 04-19-2010 | 08:05 PM

and Ben i demand Supra pics
Old 04-20-2010 | 08:47 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by chrome91
anyone know if the 4th gen Mishimoto radiator will work on a 3rd gen? longshot, but Mishimoto seems to only have 4th gen radiator

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-p...ima-95-99.html
easiest way to find out, go to the JY and take a radiator out of a 4th gen and put it into a 3rd gen. if oem-for-oem fits.. then there's a good chance aftermarket will too.
Old 04-20-2010 | 08:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

more silly questions about injector install but thats what this thread is for huh?

is it easier to just get a seperate fuel rail, slap in some injectors i already have so its all ready to go when i take things apart instead of pulling each one out at that point? will it save any time or effort or is that just plain stupid?
Old 04-21-2010 | 04:58 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

more silly questions about injector install but thats what this thread is for huh?

is it easier to just get a seperate fuel rail, slap in some injectors i already have so its all ready to go when i take things apart instead of pulling each one out at that point? will it save any time or effort or is that just plain stupid?
tomato/tomoto...
not stupid, but still the same amount of work. you seem to have the injectors, not the rail, so oyu will have to get one.
Old 04-21-2010 | 07:54 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

it only helps if you are prone to breaking shiit. that way you can brake shiit to heart's content before disassembling your engine's topend. tho more often than not, the only thing that breakes is old brittle vacuum lines, and the occasional o-ring if you are doing individual-injector replacements and don't use enough lube.
Old 04-22-2010 | 07:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

check this PDF. it should show all the wiring diagrams and part locations.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1994/el.pdf
Thanks for the link! I was able to fine the Time Control Unit.

Well...after calling the dealership and them wanting $285 for a new Time Control Unit, I went to the graveyard and pulled one off of a 93 SE. Same problem...Ignition circle light and dome light go off as soon as I shut the door. I was hoping the other unit was going to fix the problem. Is there something else that could be causing the problem? I have check all of my fuses. Could there be a relay or something that has gone bad?
Old 04-23-2010 | 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello there,

I just purchased a 1991 Nissan maxima with 107k miles.

During idle it is kind of rough, the dashboard lights are dimming and coming back, then dimming again and coming back over and over

Any ideas what is causing this?
Old 04-23-2010 | 09:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Could be mass flow sensor. My 94 Max had similar engine running issues, and although the diagnostic code did not indicate bad mass flow sensor, my old time Nissan mechanic said he had seen this before and by replacing he had fixed a similar problem on another Max. He would not guarantee it would fix the problem. I told him to go ahead and try it, and sure enough, it has not missed a beat since.
Old 04-23-2010 | 12:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Vg30e Vg33e swappable?

I know that the Vg33e and the Vg30e engines are swappable, although I am very curious to know how much of a process it is. I have a 1993 Nissan Maxima with the Vg30e sohc, I broke a piston . I will have to either replace the engine or get a rebuild kit. A rebuild kit would also require machineing work on virtually everything. So I have resorted to replacing the engine. Being a real man lol, I started looking around to see what engines I could swap in so while I'm replacing the broken engine I might as well replace it with more power. So how easy would it be to put a Vg33e in my 1993 Nissan Maxima??
Old 04-23-2010 | 12:39 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by MasterJoe03
I know that the Vg33e and the Vg30e engines are swappable, although I am very curious to know how much of a process it is. I have a 1993 Nissan Maxima with the Vg30e sohc, I broke a piston . I will have to either replace the engine or get a rebuild kit. A rebuild kit would also require machineing work on virtually everything. So I have resorted to replacing the engine. Being a real man lol, I started looking around to see what engines I could swap in so while I'm replacing the broken engine I might as well replace it with more power. So how easy would it be to put a Vg33e in my 1993 Nissan Maxima??
in theory the crank/water pump/oil pump will need swapped.
still can't find anyone who has done it, yet...

I recently asked the same question, read the thread for what the responses were
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...ap-really.html

edit: feel free to use that thread to ask more questions, or post a write-up

Last edited by BenStoked; 04-23-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2010 | 02:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

engine lurching

Hey guys can u help me? When im driving sometimes the car will lose speed abruptly as if someone has hit the brakes... also in neutral when im pushing on the gas the power keeps dropping and going up even tho im keeping the acceleration steady.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)