3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
nope, kyb's will scream bloody murder before too long. and with the lack of ability to compensate the suspension geometry like you can on a z31, running a 2" drop is kinda dumb anyways...
the seller said they could get Koni's but they would take a month and a half to 2 months to get to me

im just gonna get the payment reversed and see if the other seller actually has the Tokicos
Old 06-25-2010, 07:58 PM

ok. I have a 1990 maxima. my battery died and replaced it. before it was just not holding a charge. now after replacing the battery none of my interior electronics work. my break lights don't work. I have to usethe shift lock to put it in gear. I have no clue what I did at all whatsoever. no blinkers either. and my keyless entry. windows. powers locks. basically nothing works at all. please please help
Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 PM

it starts to work after driving a little. for some reason i think it may be a loose or frayed wire in the main positive connection on the battery. im not sure. please help. also when i hit the breaks, SOMETIMES, after everything starts working again. everything in the car will blink sometimes radio gets shutoff. but the car starts everytime no problem. i just dont know. please leave info.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by IDFKmaxima
it starts to work after driving a little. for some reason i think it may be a loose or frayed wire in the main positive connection on the battery. im not sure. please help. also when i hit the breaks, SOMETIMES, after everything starts working again. everything in the car will blink sometimes radio gets shutoff. but the car starts everytime no problem. i just dont know. please leave info.
did you actually check the wiring from the battery yet? it splits off into several paths, one of which being for the starter, another for other items, etc.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey can anyone tell me where the charcoal or evap canister is on a 1990 maxima i have to replace it in order to pass the mechanical part of emissions
Old 06-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

also when i shut and lock my doors the driver becomes unlocked when i shut it. ill lock it then shut it then it'll be open
Old 06-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by AZ1990maxima
also when i shut and lock my doors the driver becomes unlocked when i shut it. ill lock it then shut it then it'll be open
yes, yes it will. so you don't lock the keys in. Welcome to a world of cars smarter than many drivers. be glad your car is working right, to begin with.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
yes, yes it will. so you don't lock the keys in. Welcome to a world of cars smarter than many drivers. be glad your car is working right, to begin with.
This made me lol, yeah it's a nissan thing my old pulsar was the same, you have to lock the car after the drivers door is shut
Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 AM

hey can anyone tell me where the charcoal or evap canister is on a 1990 maxima i have to replace it in order to pass the mechanical part of emissions
The canister is located right under the battery/fuse box. You can follow the small vacuum hose from the Idle Air Control Valve down and it will lead you to the canister.

Last edited by jbbons25; 06-27-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by jbbons25
The canister is located right under the battery/fuse box. You can follow the small vacuum hose from the Idle Air Control Valve down and it will lead you to the canister.
how do you take it out? i want to replace the vacuum hose to it because it is perished but it's stuck on and i can't get good leverage or a flat screwdriver to it where it is at the moment
Old 06-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by ~TheProxy~
how do you take it out? i want to replace the vacuum hose to it because it is perished but it's stuck on and i can't get good leverage or a flat screwdriver to it where it is at the moment
can't get a box knife on there, and cut it off? if you are replacing the vac hose, anyway, it's the best way about it.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The trick is to lock the doors while the driver door is open. Then as you are closing the drivers door, you lift the door handle. Then when the door is closed you release the door handle. This will stop the mechanism.

Good luck
Old 06-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by popook88
The trick is to lock the doors while the driver door is open. Then as you are closing the drivers door, you lift the door handle. Then when the door is closed you release the door handle. This will stop the mechanism.

Good luck
or if it's a GXE with a working keypad system press 9/0 after the door is shut
Old 06-29-2010, 05:29 AM

Ok, noob question. How much transmission fluid does the manual VG transmission take? I bought 3 quarts but I'm being told it's more than that.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by 7mJoe
Ok, noob question. How much transmission fluid does the manual VG transmission take? I bought 3 quarts but I'm being told it's more than that.
Complete dry fill including torque converter is close to 8 quarts(7 7/8 quarts)..but usually they will only take the full 8 quarts if the trans has been disassembled(rebuilt) and the t/c is new, or has been completely drained of old fluid...
Old 06-29-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Complete dry fill including torque converter is close to 8 quarts(7 7/8 quarts)..but usually they will only take the full 8 quarts if the trans has been disassembled(rebuilt) and the t/c is new, or has been completely drained of old fluid...
What?! 8 quarts? On the manual transmission?! I think you're thinking of the automatic sir.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:54 AM
kthxbye2u

Greeny. Manual trannies have torque converters?

Dang 7mJoe saw it first lol
Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

lol..

5 quarts for manual trans..

not enough coffee yet..
Old 06-29-2010, 07:13 AM

whelp, looks like I'm 2 quarts short!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 AM

H
Originally Posted by IDFKmaxima
Have you checked your alternator/regulator yet? What about your fuse box wiring? Let's hear back if your still having problems or if not how you resolved your issues, Shiloh.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:12 PM

Sooooo, I got the transmission in, but one of the shifter linkage bolts wont go into the hole and tighten down. The linkage with the big flange that doesn't bolt onto the selector thing, it's the top bolt that wont go in. What does that second linkage do? Are both bolts required?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 AM

My 1990 maxima, auto, has 122k on it has just started making this grinding/whining noise at idle and it increases with revs. seems like it is coming from passenger side but I have been unable to get more specific than that. Belts seem to be tight? Here's a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V6lwzHuPvo
Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 7mJoe
Sooooo, I got the transmission in, but one of the shifter linkage bolts wont go into the hole and tighten down. The linkage with the big flange that doesn't bolt onto the selector thing, it's the top bolt that wont go in. What does that second linkage do? Are both bolts required?
pic? you talkin about the big plate thingy that attaches from the non-moving shift rod to the side of the tranny? should be 2 short bolts (one low down, one higher up) and one long bolt that reaches thru the block to the trans. i can take some demonstratory pictures on saturday if you can wait that long.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 PM

pic? you talkin about the big plate thingy that attaches from the non-moving shift rod to the side of the tranny? should be 2 short bolts (one low down, one higher up) and one long bolt that reaches thru the block to the trans. i can take some demonstratory pictures on saturday if you can wait that long.
I got it all back together man. there's no need for pictures. Thanks though!
Old 07-02-2010, 01:23 PM

exhaust set up..

ok, im looking for an exhaust set up that sounds good with the vg30de engine.. i have a 89 nissan maxima se 5 spd.. i want it loud and deep but not raspy.. i was wondering, since my cat is pretty much dead, if i deleted cat for straight pipe, added two resonators and had my hks 4 inch echaust welded on, would that be raspy or no?? does any have a set up like this on their maxima?? or a set up that will give the sound im lookin for.. i want to use my hks muffler tip no matter what..
Old 07-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Gheremy harrison
ok, im looking for an exhaust set up that sounds good with the vg30de engine.. i have a 89 nissan maxima se 5 spd.. i want it loud and deep but not raspy.. i was wondering, since my cat is pretty much dead, if i deleted cat for straight pipe, added two resonators and had my hks 4 inch echaust welded on, would that be raspy or no?? does any have a set up like this on their maxima?? or a set up that will give the sound im lookin for.. i want to use my hks muffler tip no matter what..
replace the cat, if you value low end (which is what the vg30e is best at).
and it is vg30e, not vg30de; the "d" signifies "dohc", which the 3rd gen vg does not have.
it woudn't be horrible, i don't believe, but would change the sound. better or worse, not sure. I have a 24" resonator that the muffler shop put in, and no muffler and that is not raspy/loud. (not driving this way atm, be assured)
also, removal of the cat is illegal in most/all states, regardless of what the sate emissions checks are.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:41 PM

i have a Magnaflow catback welded on and it sounds better than most full exhausts, its a low rumble on idle and a smooth low tone on acceleration
Old 07-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1996 max....

Hey guys I'm stumped. My car has been pumping water out into the reservoir and I can't figure out why. It's not running hot and the water that goes into the reservoir isn't hot either. It's like it's pumping air into the cooling system.

I thought there was a hole in the exhaust side of the manifold, so I put to bars stop leak in it. It seemed to work fine, it stopped the water loss for a while. Then, it blew out the radiator at the top. I put a new one in, got the air out of the system and it ran fine for a couple of days. Now, it won't start.

I'm completely out of ideas of what it could be......Any thoughts??
Old 07-03-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by BamaZX-6r
Hey guys I'm stumped. My car has been pumping water out into the reservoir and I can't figure out why. It's not running hot and the water that goes into the reservoir isn't hot either. It's like it's pumping air into the cooling system.

I thought there was a hole in the exhaust side of the manifold, so I put to bars stop leak in it. It seemed to work fine, it stopped the water loss for a while. Then, it blew out the radiator at the top. I put a new one in, got the air out of the system and it ran fine for a couple of days. Now, it won't start.

I'm completely out of ideas of what it could be......Any thoughts??
you want the 4th gen section, this section is for 3rd gens (1989-1994).
Old 07-04-2010, 10:23 AM

so i could have straight pipe with only a resonator.. 24 in or more.. and it wouldnt be raspy??
Old 07-04-2010, 08:36 PM

IIRC you shouldnt get a raspy sound if you keep the resonator, not fully sure. i think mines 24" and its deep
Old 07-05-2010, 11:37 AM

sometimes but not all the time when i turn on the car it makes a loud whining sound n i have to rev the car 1 good time to make it go awy, i was told it can be a loose belt or pulley.

i always have my music playing so i never noticed but yesterday i noticed when i turn left or right i hear like a humming/whining sound. its not clicks or knocks jus sounds like a weird humming mixed with whining. what can this be?

thanks in advance
Old 07-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
sometimes but not all the time when i turn on the car it makes a loud whining sound n i have to rev the car 1 good time to make it go awy, i was told it can be a loose belt or pulley.

i always have my music playing so i never noticed but yesterday i noticed when i turn left or right i hear like a humming/whining sound. its not clicks or knocks jus sounds like a weird humming mixed with whining. what can this be?

thanks in advance
power steering can make what one might call a humming/whining sound.. does the sound you hear get louder when you turn the wheel to full lock?
Old 07-05-2010, 02:14 PM

power steering can make what one might call a humming/whining sound.. does the sound you hear get louder when you turn the wheel to full lock?
yea the harder i turn it to turn it gets louder. whats wrong n how do i fix it?

btw imma pm u something i need a lil help with, catalytic wise.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yea the harder i turn it to turn it gets louder. whats wrong n how do i fix it?
and as for the steering.. could be leaky seals inside the pump, could be that you put power steering fluid in there rather than dexron-III ATF. i swapped pumps and it got quieter, when i had that noise.

btw imma pm u something i need a lil help with, catalytic wise.
no you aren't either. all car-related questions stay on the forums. if you can ask me, you can ask everyone. i'm not answering sheeyit if it's in a pm
Old 07-05-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
tell them to get the tokicos, or full reimbursement, plus 10% for wrongful advertisement, or they get the negative feedback (that gets their panties in a wad).
then again, I am known as a douche, so
lulz shall ensue. the first guy made a refund so that you cant leave feedback. big deal, i got my money back and they were nice about it.

theres one more seller with Tokicos on Ebay, 3 weeks ago i emailed asking if they ACTUALLY have a set in stock. nothing. emailed again 2 weeks ago. nothing
gave up and just bought them. the ad says "All ebay auctions listed are items in stock"

we shall see if this is true

Old 07-05-2010, 08:41 PM

and as for the steering.. could be leaky seals inside the pump, could be that you put power steering fluid in there rather than dexron-III ATF. i swapped pumps and it got quieter, when i had that noise.

no you aren't either. all car-related questions stay on the forums. if you can ask me, you can ask everyone. i'm not answering sheeyit if it's in a pm
ill look into into.

and

i sent a pm thinking u could of replied faster since u where online instead of waiting for someone to answer me 2 days laters.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys, im a noob here but i have a question about my 93 maxima. My car starts and runs fine but the electronics ie radio, wipers, lights ALL DONT WORK!!!!!!!!!! im freaking out because i have no ride to work, CAN U GUYS HELP A NOOB OUT, THANKS I APPRECIATE THE HELP!!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 93_MAX_i_MA
Hi guys, im a noob here but i have a question about my 93 maxima. My car starts and runs fine but the electronics ie radio, wipers, lights ALL DONT WORK!!!!!!!!!! im freaking out because i have no ride to work, CAN U GUYS HELP A NOOB OUT, THANKS I APPRECIATE THE HELP!!

check all fuses, relays, and so on, also check the wires coming from the positive side of the battery, do you remember something strange happening before they all died?

Last edited by ~TheProxy~; 07-08-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 AM

yep, check your fuses and relays

did you buy it like this or did it just suddenly happen?

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)