3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uncivil
Help.... I ran my 94 se out of gas... couldn't start it back up.. popping and sounds like backfiring through the intake... until I stuck my hand in front of the MAF restricting the airflow and the engine began to race.. like normal almost.. I changed the fuel filter, plugs, and MAF still will not run, cant even get it started now... I got a knock sensor code from the ECU now its reading Normal operating conditions... any feed back would be great THANKS!
you may have broken the fuel pump as well
Old 08-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chrome91
That's what I was thinking.. but the pump still works somewhat.. It primes and sends enough fuel to run the engine. I thought that it was all or nothing with fuel pumps.. I guess I could check the fuel pressure (if I knew how).. It definitely shot fuel out when I took the filter off.. I primed the pump to clear the lines.. the fuel was pretty dirty.. the amount of fuel that came out was about id say 6 oz per 5 second prime.any good way to check the fuel pump? I also got the car running... runs great if my hand is in front of the maf slowing the air supply..has anyone seen this before?

Last edited by Uncivil; 08-28-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:33 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

That's what I was thinking.. but the pump still works somewhat.. It primes and sends enough fuel to run the engine. I thought that it was all or nothing with fuel pumps.. I guess I could check the fuel pressure (if I knew how).. It definitely shot fuel out when I took the filter off.. I primed the pump to clear the lines.. the fuel was pretty dirty.. the amount of fuel that came out was about id say 6 oz per 5 second prime.any good way to check the fuel pump? I also got the car running... runs great if my hand is in front of the maf slowing the air supply..has anyone seen this before?
I have seen it when the timing was badly off.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yup... it was the fuel pump. BAck on the roAD! THANKS!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:02 PM

Yup... it was the fuel pump. BAck on the roAD! THANKS!
thought so
Old 08-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Will a 1990 manual trans fit a 1991 maxima?

Hey everyone. I have a 1991 SE, It needs a transmission. I found a 1990 maxima manual trans locally. will that fit my 1991 SE? I was thinking since I don't have limited slip it might be the same. thanks for any help.

Last edited by Hitchhiker; 08-30-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Hitchhiker
Hey everyone. I have a 1991 SE, It needs a transmission. I found a 1990 maxima manual trans locally. will that fit my 1991 SE? I was thinking since I don't have limited slip it might be the same. thanks for any help.
yes; need clutch, flywheel, master cylinder, slave cylinder....
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...ap-sticky.html
Old 08-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BenStoked
yes; need clutch, flywheel, master cylinder, slave cylinder....
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...ap-sticky.html
My car is a manual car. Do I need all those parts just to put that trans in my original manual car? thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 05:21 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Hitchhiker
My car is a manual car. Do I need all those parts just to put that trans in my original manual car? thanks
ah, see, now, the SE came with an auto, too, and 5-speeds rarely die (yours makes the 5th or 6th I have seen).
if you swap an 89-91 5-speed, it'll bolt right in.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Toy's

Originally Posted by Hectic
There's only one way to find out, tear down the tranny.
Hey brother.....
Ohh a have a Question....
were you wet tath maximas in toy's.....????
i hope you can tell me a place were a can brougth thath...
sorry for my bad inglish..... jejeje
Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ah, see, now, the SE came with an auto, too, and 5-speeds rarely die (yours makes the 5th or 6th I have seen).
if you swap an 89-91 5-speed, it'll bolt right in.
Sorry my other post was a little vague....Thanks for the help, My trans is still kinda working. It is making a growling noise and sometimes gets stuck in 1st or 2nd gear. I think it's the input shaft bearing....It's totally my fault as I drive this thing Llike a bat out of hell....I really love this car and hope I can get a transmission for it. Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ECT sensor

ok just recently...2days ago i turn on the car and the temp meter is at the bottom....so im driving and it goes back to the middle as normal then goes back down....i give the car some gas it goes back to the middle once i let go it goes back down.....then it will go back to the middle stay their and go up down up down real fast and stay down then back up...but it never goes up to h either to the middle or the bottom...

checked at auto zone they told me i need to replace the ect sensor so did pepboyz.....i can buy the sensor for 20$ but auto zone is asking for 85 to replace and i been looking around and everybody says it is an easy job....

so could somebody tell me where the ect sensor is located on my 90 nissan maxima ....pictures would be greatly appreciated or just help finding it in general
Old 08-31-2010, 07:47 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by howichill
ok just recently...2days ago i turn on the car and the temp meter is at the bottom....so im driving and it goes back to the middle as normal then goes back down....i give the car some gas it goes back to the middle once i let go it goes back down.....then it will go back to the middle stay their and go up down up down real fast and stay down then back up...but it never goes up to h either to the middle or the bottom...

checked at auto zone they told me i need to replace the ect sensor so did pepboyz.....i can buy the sensor for 20$ but auto zone is asking for 85 to replace and i been looking around and everybody says it is an easy job....

so could somebody tell me where the ect sensor is located on my 90 nissan maxima ....pictures would be greatly appreciated or just help finding it in general
sounds to me like the coolant system needs bleeding.
there are two temp sensors: one for the gauge in the dash, one for the ecu.
the gauge sensor is not even $20 at autozone, I think mine was $15.
sounds to me like teh guys at your autozone are idiots that cannot work the computer.
If you look at teh radiator, you will see the big hose coming off of it. follow it until you see the thermostat housing. the sensors are on that housing. takes 10 minutes to change it out (do it with teh engine cold, and throw an old rag to catch coolant as it comes out, unscrew the old one, quickly put the new one in place).
Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sounds to me like the coolant system needs bleeding.
there are two temp sensors: one for the gauge in the dash, one for the ecu.
the gauge sensor is not even $20 at autozone, I think mine was $15.
sounds to me like teh guys at your autozone are idiots that cannot work the computer.
If you look at teh radiator, you will see the big hose coming off of it. follow it until you see the thermostat housing. the sensors are on that housing. takes 10 minutes to change it out (do it with teh engine cold, and throw an old rag to catch coolant as it comes out, unscrew the old one, quickly put the new one in place).
can i see them buy just opening the hood from the top or do i have to be under it sorry for the noob questions this is my first car and dont have a clue about anything and dont wanna pay 80 for a 10 minute fix problem
Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

can i see them buy just opening the hood from the top or do i have to be under it sorry for the noob questions this is my first car and dont have a clue about anything and dont wanna pay 80 for a 10 minute fix problem
right; on top of the motor.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/8
Old 09-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Axle insertion

I am trying to insert two rebuilt axles into the transaxle of a 1992 Maxima. Chilton's need a special tool but I was told it isn't used generally. However I can't get either side to slide in. Is there something I don't know??
Old 09-01-2010, 04:55 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Ramsey
I am trying to insert two rebuilt axles into the transaxle of a 1992 Maxima. Chilton's need a special tool but I was told it isn't used generally. However I can't get either side to slide in. Is there something I don't know??
Eat yur wheaties...then push like ****, and i mean push...it helps to slam it in before you push, kinda in one motion..slampush......

good luck..
Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

right; on top of the motor.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/8
still having a hard to looking i took a pic so that maybe you guys could help more this is a view from my eyes
Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

still having a hard to looking i took a pic so that maybe you guys could help more [IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/kdkbgo.jpg[IMG] this is a view from my eyes
Old 09-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ahhhh so i think i found it but not im just trying to screw it off if lefty loose right tighty right hahah but thanks for the help and another thing is it safe if i drive with out it connected and i mean like 5-10 miles just to gobuy the part
Old 09-03-2010, 04:48 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

ahhhh so i think i found it but not im just trying to screw it off if lefty loose right tighty right hahah but thanks for the help and another thing is it safe if i drive with out it connected and i mean like 5-10 miles just to gobuy the part
it'll be fine. just drive normally.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok new discovery when i was trying to unscrew the sensor i looked and seen that the wire for the dash gauge sensor looks like over time the wire has rusted and split off from the other end now im not a genius but im thinking maybe that was my problem the whole time now any idea on how much a repair that is
Old 09-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

ok new discovery when i was trying to unscrew the sensor i looked and seen that the wire for the dash gauge sensor looks like over time the wire has rusted and split off from the other end now im not a genius but im thinking maybe that was my problem the whole time now any idea on how much a repair that is
the one-wire sensor, or two-wire sensor?
one-wire sensor, go grab a weather-proof 1/4" quick connect (regular would work, too, but you risk repeating)
this is the one I am talkng about, but any hardware store will have them:
http://www.amazon.com/Pico-Insulated.../dp/B00030CTHE
use dielectric grease to prevent corrosion, despite the fact the connector is "weather proof"

the two wire, I cannot recall the connector off the top of my head, but a similar deal will be needed (in fact, iirc, you can use the same qc as above, but two...)
Old 09-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the one-wire sensor, or two-wire sensor?
one-wire sensor, go grab a weather-proof 1/4" quick connect (regular would work, too, but you risk repeating)
this is the one I am talkng about, but any hardware store will have them:
http://www.amazon.com/Pico-Insulated.../dp/B00030CTHE
use dielectric grease to prevent corrosion, despite the fact the connector is "weather proof"

the two wire, I cannot recall the connector off the top of my head, but a similar deal will be needed (in fact, iirc, you can use the same qc as above, but two...)
just to show you this is what im talking about and im guessing its a single wire

looks like before they were conected and the other end snapped off

looking at it again it looks more serious the wire is still connected to that square thing but thats not connected to anything any more so any more advice or just go out and get that connector?

Last edited by howichill; 09-03-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi everyone... Has any one swaped a vq30det into a vg30de maxima? does it bolt up to the tranny? I can handle the other issues, I think.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by xs-sxs
Hi everyone... Has any one swaped a vq30det into a vg30de maxima? does it bolt up to the tranny? I can handle the other issues, I think.
no because the vg30de never came in a maxima.

sorry, no, it's a common mistake(vg30e and ve30de motors)
seriously, though.
ONE person. ONE. this is for a reason. the vq engine is a completely different animal, the motor mounts are totally in complete different spots.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

just to show you this is what im talking about and im guessing its a single wire

looks like before they were conected and the other end snapped off

looking at it again it looks more serious the wire is still connected to that square thing but thats not connected to anything any more so any more advice or just go out and get that connector?
oh, crap. no, you will need the sensor, and to try to pull the old pin out of the socket.
oh, the sensors at my autozone for less than $9 (called a temperature switch)
Old 09-04-2010, 10:15 AM

Aaron92SE is the only one to have done this, its alot of work. you cannot use the same tranny

also, VG30DE= Z32 engine, VG30E= Maxima, V6 200sx, Z31, etc
Old 09-04-2010, 03:32 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Aaron92SE is the only one to have done this, its alot of work. you cannot use the same tranny

also, VG30DE= Z32 engine, VG30E= Maxima, V6 200sx, Z31, etc
No, aaron swapped a VQ35DE into his 3rd gen...
Old 09-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

Can anyone help me in finding some White LED lights for my dome/map light? I don't know what bulbs they are.
Thanks
Old 09-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So what tranny is compatable, can I adapter plate it, I am making custom motor mounts anyway. That is what i'll do if i can adapt it. Oh It is a ve30de.

Automatic tranny for now, until it blows

Last edited by xs-sxs; 09-06-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

So what tranny is compatable, can I adapter plate it, I am making custom motor mounts anyway. That is what i'll do if i can adapt it. Oh It is a ve30de.
little more clarification; do you have an auto, or 5-speed? are you looking for repairing or upgrading?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Automatic transmission, I am going to fit a vq30det (upgrade) into a 92 maxima.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Automatic transmission, I am going to fit a vq30det (upgrade) into a 92 maxima.
you will need to use the vq trans.

lol... good luck. many have said it, and one (well, none, since Aaron used a vq35) has actually done it.
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...ss-thread.html
Old 09-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Whats up everyone? Say hello to the newest Maxima owner!
I just picked up a 91 SE and I'm in the process of fixing some of the things that have gone bad. Just today the sunroof decided to not close all the way when I try. the motor seems to turn fine as the glass slides almost completely closed, it just lacks that extra push at the end when it shifts upward to seal completely. Anybody have this experience before? It's doing it very consistantly, every time. seems like something is in the way but I havn't spotted it yet.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by dwlf89
Whats up everyone? Say hello to the newest Maxima owner!
I just picked up a 91 SE and I'm in the process of fixing some of the things that have gone bad. Just today the sunroof decided to not close all the way when I try. the motor seems to turn fine as the glass slides almost completely closed, it just lacks that extra push at the end when it shifts upward to seal completely. Anybody have this experience before? It's doing it very consistantly, every time. seems like something is in the way but I havn't spotted it yet.
typically, it's due to worn guides, or something. I cannot remember how to fix it, but I remember the user internetautomar (that is spelled correctly, despite how it may look) had posted some real good info about it a few years ago.
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...n-sunroof.html
a somewhat temporary fix may be to add some spacers to push it all the way up.
Welcome to the forums, and enjoy your new ride. (auto, or 5-speed, btw?)
Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alright thanks brother! The only thing is that I can't push the glass up to manually make it seal. It literally will not go up, even when pushed or helped. I'll have to go out and try some more things but I figured I'd go the easy way and try to get advise from someone who may have done it before. Sunroofs definitely are not my specialty.

My max is an auto (though I'd love a manual), single cam, white, black leather interior. I like it overall. Seems like a great car for it's age! It's gonna make a good daily for now while I finish building my 200sx se-r. I've done a lot to that car including swapping the sr20de for the bluebird det. I just finished a full rebuild on that engine along with upgrading to a gt2871r turbo, the car has been repainted the aztec red that it was originally. Also full suspension and exhaust. that car is almost ready to go.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Turns out there was a lighter jammed back where the glass slides into the roof. wtf right? I tooled it out and everything worked perfectly. thanks for the input though
Old 09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by dwlf89
Turns out there was a lighter jammed back where the glass slides into the roof. wtf right? I tooled it out and everything worked perfectly. thanks for the input though
lol nice...
glad yours was such an easy fix. sure beats replacing everything like in that thread.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:41 PM

head bolts and exhaust mnifold bolts

I bought a 91 maxima SE for $300 and it needs some work. I am no stranger to cars and the internals, but the Maxi is new to me. I went to my dealer and the prices they want for bolts ($9 for each of the head bolts and $8 for each of the manifold bolts), no friggin way! I am pulling the rear head due to the car being drivin with 4 of 6 bolts busted on the manifold and i want to check the valves. Where do you recommend I get them from that the price wont kill me and the what manifold bolts do you recommend? I was also told by the dealership that there are 2 types of head bolts, it depends on vin #. I don't need bolts for both heads as the front is just fine.

Thank you in advance!
Adam

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)