3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Starrider_1
Hi Guys... the freeways are in need of repair in some places...when i hit a rough spot the front end really hits hard!!!...I have 110k miles on the clock...and thinkin i need new struts???...For freeway driving to soften those pot holes ...what brand of struts do you recommend??? Monroe...is there a more favorite on this site? Thanks in advance...
for new struts i would go with KYB, theyre still available and you can get them from Ebay
Old 01-31-2011, 07:42 PM

need some opinions. since i have to take my motor out to replace the timing chain should i just get a used motor or replace the chain. my only problem is time as this is my daily driver and i need it mobile m-f for work.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:54 PM

why would you get a new motor? if nothing is wrong with your current one just replace the chain
Old 02-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by got_sixth
need some opinions. since i have to take my motor out to replace the timing chain should i just get a used motor or replace the chain. my only problem is time as this is my daily driver and i need it mobile m-f for work.
better question: why do you need to replace the chain? it is not a maintenance item. it's like swapping out crank bearings. you only do it when rebuilding the motor.

do you really mean "belt"? if that's the case, then just do it with the engine in the car. takes more time than the engine out, but it's less time than removing and installing the engine.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 PM

wut? i thought chains could break or snap just like belts, just not as likely?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by chrome91
wut? i thought chains could break or snap just like belts, just not as likely?
no, chains are a "life of vehicle" part, kinda like pistons, rings, and rods. yes, they can be replaced, but they aren't intended to "just" be done like a belt.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 PM

why would you get a new motor? if nothing is wrong with your current one just replace the chain
the motor has 208k miles and the timing chain is stretched so its smacking all around under my valve cover. i was thinking bout changing the chain but the chain is 300 and a motor is 800. the motor has 208k miles so the valve seals might be bad, the oil pump could fail, gaskets might be bad, rings might be gone, or even the valves might be bent. u never kno. and wit a used motor i get a 101 day warranty.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

the motor has 208k miles and the timing chain is stretched so its smacking all around under my valve cover. i was thinking bout changing the chain but the chain is 300 and a motor is 800. the motor has 208k miles so the valve seals might be bad, the oil pump could fail, gaskets might be bad, rings might be gone, or even the valves might be bent. u never kno. and wit a used motor i get a 101 day warranty.
208k is broken in, not worn out.
you sure you aren't hearing VTC clack? parts to fix will cost about $100, plus a weekend of your time.

oh, and "chain" for $300? go to courtestyparts.com, get all three (yes, three) chains for under $200.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
you sure you aren't hearing VTC clack? parts to fix will cost about $100, plus a weekend of your time.

oh, and "chain" for $300? go to courtestyparts.com, get all three (yes, three) chains for under $200.
you know what i think ur right. i been reading about the vtc and how the spring goes bad and im postive that what it is as of today my motor quieted up.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by godisgood
1990 Maxima

My temperature gauge is slow to give me a reading. It shows the temperature without fluctuating or anything, but it takes a minute to show anything at all. Not saying that it stays low before it gets to avg operating temp. The needle is laying down flat, not even in the range of the gauge until the engine runs for a minute or two. Then it raises right up and works fine... Any ideas?

Also my heater isn't working. Still troubleshooting that, going to check the wiring and electrical side of the heater system tomorrow. Thinking it could be related?

thanks.
Check the Thermostat.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:53 AM

QFT, i would take a 400,000km engine over a 50,000km engine any day

but yeah i guess VTC's are a problem on 1992-1993 SE's but 1994's not so much
Old 02-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought a 93 off craigslist with "some" electrical issues. It was cheap so I thought "why not??" Turns out several of the wires in the relay box by the battery had melted together. I've gone through and replaced anything that showed any type of damage from the firewall forward to the relay/fuse box. Originally my fuel pump would not come on when the key turned. I found that the red/blue wire going to the safety relay was not getting to ground. When I spliced it in and connected directly to ground, the fuel pump came on and functioned, but will not turn back off unless the key turns off. I understand I have bypassed the pressure switch and would normally turn the fuel pump back off after pressurization is achieved. What I can't find in the manual is why I'm not getting any spark to my spark plugs when the key is turned. I have voltage up to my distributor but no spark. Is there/where is the safety switch related to inaccurate fuel supply to the injectors? Any help in diagnosing this problem would be helpful.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:04 PM

My 1990 Nissan Maxima GXE

Hi my 90 GXE is dying. I had it checked out because it was missing like crazy and sputtering. Had no power. My mechanis told me that it had low compression on the number 5 cylinder. I don't want to get rid of the car but he told me he doesn't know how much longer the car will last with that engine. I want to do and engine swap, but I don't want the same thing to happen all over again. Is there any way that a newer max engine could be put in? like one from a 4th gen, or 5th gen? If so is it really difficult? If it's not possible, anybody know where I could find a used or rebuilt engine from the third gen? The car is actually my wifes, but I claim it as my own. Just an awesome little car. We just got a 2000 SE. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by birddog002
I bought a 93 off craigslist with "some" electrical issues. It was cheap so I thought "why not??" Turns out several of the wires in the relay box by the battery had melted together. I've gone through and replaced anything that showed any type of damage from the firewall forward to the relay/fuse box. Originally my fuel pump would not come on when the key turned. I found that the red/blue wire going to the safety relay was not getting to ground. When I spliced it in and connected directly to ground, the fuel pump came on and functioned, but will not turn back off unless the key turns off. I understand I have bypassed the pressure switch and would normally turn the fuel pump back off after pressurization is achieved. What I can't find in the manual is why I'm not getting any spark to my spark plugs when the key is turned. I have voltage up to my distributor but no spark. Is there/where is the safety switch related to inaccurate fuel supply to the injectors? Any help in diagnosing this problem would be helpful.
only thing regarding pressure would be the pressure regulator, it's manual not electric. you might wanna make sure the rotor is spinning (take the cap off, have somebody watch it while cranking)

Originally Posted by watkins2010
Hi my 90 GXE is dying. I had it checked out because it was missing like crazy and sputtering. Had no power. My mechanis told me that it had low compression on the number 5 cylinder. I don't want to get rid of the car but he told me he doesn't know how much longer the car will last with that engine. I want to do and engine swap, but I don't want the same thing to happen all over again. Is there any way that a newer max engine could be put in? like one from a 4th gen, or 5th gen? If so is it really difficult? If it's not possible, anybody know where I could find a used or rebuilt engine from the third gen? The car is actually my wifes, but I claim it as my own. Just an awesome little car. We just got a 2000 SE. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
short answer: no, not possible to "just" swap the vq engine in. engine mounts are different, wiring is different, transmission is different...

best bet would be a rebuild or a used engine. Where are you from? might help to track down a new(er) motor.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:02 PM

Okay, I didn't think so. I'm in Virginia.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:52 PM

change your fuel injectors. that might be the problem. when your injectors are bad your car loses power and runs like ****.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
change your fuel injectors. that might be the problem. when your injectors are bad your car loses power and runs like ****.
Okay. I thought maybe that would do it to. My mechanic said that it doesn't feel like the injectors. I know the third generation was notorious for injector issues though. So I don't know what to do.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM

Okay. I thought maybe that would do it to. My mechanic said that it doesn't feel like the injectors. I know the third generation was notorious for injector issues though. So I don't know what to do.
easiest thing to do then would be to test the injectors
Old 02-06-2011, 05:39 PM

easiest thing to do then would be to test the injectors

Okay. the funny thing is that before, it would only do all the hesitation and missing sometimes. Like when I would start it first thing in the morning, it would run smooth like it's supposed to. It would drive smooth. Then I park and let it sit for like 20 minutes or so, it would start the missing and loss of power. Now it just does it all the time. I just took the tags off it and put them on our 2000 SE. Would injectors cause the low compression? Or am I better off just trying to find another engine? I have no idea how many miles are on the car. When my wife got it, before she met me, the odometer didn't work. Its been at 74,000 ever since she got it. So who knows how many miles it has.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 AM

call me stupid but i dont know where to go or how to post a thread
Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 AM

Okay. the funny thing is that before, it would only do all the hesitation and missing sometimes. Like when I would start it first thing in the morning, it would run smooth like it's supposed to. It would drive smooth. Then I park and let it sit for like 20 minutes or so, it would start the missing and loss of power. Now it just does it all the time. I just took the tags off it and put them on our 2000 SE. Would injectors cause the low compression? Or am I better off just trying to find another engine? I have no idea how many miles are on the car. When my wife got it, before she met me, the odometer didn't work. Its been at 74,000 ever since she got it. So who knows how many miles it has.
yep still sounds like its injectors, you have to test and see if theyre all in ohm, and then you can weed out one one(s) that are bad. definitely not worth a new engine

Originally Posted by madmax123
call me stupid but i dont know where to go or how to post a thread
click on the 3rd gen section, and near the bottom left of the page there should be a post a thread button like this

Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 AM

yep still sounds like its injectors, you have to test and see if theyre all in ohm, and then you can weed out one one(s) that are bad. definitely not worth a new engine

click on the 3rd gen section, and near the bottom left of the page there should be a post a thread button like this

thanx i was looking up top
Old 02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1992 Maxima Runs Pig Rich

Hey guys, I'm not really familiar with Nissan. I'm working on a customer's car. It's a '92 Maxima with a 24 valve 3.0 and a 5 speed manual. When the guy brought the car to me, it had a blown up engine and it didn't run, I'm not sure if there were any problems beforehand, I just put an engine in it and I'm having problems with it.

Here's what I've done, I've replaced the knock sensor, the coil packs, O2 sensors, fuel injectors, new spark plugs, fuel filter, new vacuum lines. I looked on here how to get codes, and I turned the little thing on the computer and got a code for a shorted MAF sensor. So I unplugged it and it runs better. I replaced the sensor and I've disconnected the battery to reset everything. It still runs the same. All ground wires are hooked up. I've double checked all connections. It runs exactly the same. It dumps fuel into all of the cylinders to the point of flooding the engine and fouling the plugs. It still runs better with the MAF sensor unplugged, but what are the chances of a new MAF sensor is also defective? Anyway, I'm looking for some input because right now I am at a loss. I'll try a new MAF sensor since it's guaranteed for life. But I doubt that will be the fix. Thanks in advance for input!
~Lincolnmania
Old 02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by lincolnmania
Hey guys, I'm not really familiar with Nissan. I'm working on a customer's car. It's a '92 Maxima with a 24 valve 3.0 and a 5 speed manual. When the guy brought the car to me, it had a blown up engine and it didn't run, I'm not sure if there were any problems beforehand, I just put an engine in it and I'm having problems with it.

Here's what I've done, I've replaced the knock sensor, the coil packs, O2 sensors, fuel injectors, new spark plugs, fuel filter, new vacuum lines. I looked on here how to get codes, and I turned the little thing on the computer and got a code for a shorted MAF sensor. So I unplugged it and it runs better. I replaced the sensor and I've disconnected the battery to reset everything. It still runs the same. All ground wires are hooked up. I've double checked all connections. It runs exactly the same. It dumps fuel into all of the cylinders to the point of flooding the engine and fouling the plugs. It still runs better with the MAF sensor unplugged, but what are the chances of a new MAF sensor is also defective? Anyway, I'm looking for some input because right now I am at a loss. I'll try a new MAF sensor since it's guaranteed for life. But I doubt that will be the fix. Thanks in advance for input!
~Lincolnmania
best bet is to trace wires, make sure there isn't a wire that got pinched, or whatnot.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

best bet is to trace wires, make sure there isn't a wire that got pinched, or whatnot.
I have checked for this, I found no pinched wires.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 PM

this is what you do:
1.turn ur car on
2.wear gloves
3. pull out ur spark plug cables out one at a time, unplug one then plug it back then move to the next. which ever one makes the car lose power like staggering is the good injector, if it does nothing at all when u unplug it thats a bad injector. thats how u tell which one is bad or good. hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
this is what you do:
1.turn ur car on
2.wear gloves
3. pull out ur spark plug cables out one at a time, unplug one then plug it back then move to the next. which ever one makes the car lose power like staggering is the good injector, if it does nothing at all when u unplug it thats a bad injector. thats how u tell which one is bad or good. hope this helps.
Okay Thank you! I will give it a try when I get a chance and let ya know.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 PM

The Swap

Well I was wondering have anybody on here did the swap from an 3rd gen engine to a 4th gen engine. I'm very curious to do this swap but I want to know will everything match up such as lines to even the transmission. The more information I have the better. Also at the moment I'm trying to change the knock sensor on my VE engine and I want to know what tools do I need to remove the intake manifold so I can get to it. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by kingscrappy
Well I was wondering have anybody on here did the swap from an 3rd gen engine to a 4th gen engine. I'm very curious to do this swap but I want to know will everything match up such as lines to even the transmission. The more information I have the better. Also at the moment I'm trying to change the knock sensor on my VE engine and I want to know what tools do I need to remove the intake manifold so I can get to it. Thanks in advance.
Aaron92SE did a VQ35 swap into a 3rd gen, as far as i can remember thats the closest thing done. you need to use a VQ35 trans as well though

if you want more power honestly its easier to boost
Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 AM

better question: why do you need to replace the chain? it is not a maintenance item. it's like swapping out crank bearings. you only do it when rebuilding the motor.

do you really mean "belt"? if that's the case, then just do it with the engine in the car. takes more time than the engine out, but it's less time than removing and installing the engine.
I just read this, and seriously busted out laughing.

Timing chains are not life of vehicle parts, I have broken 2 in my time of building cars.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 PM

Knock Sensor again

I wanted to know is the knock sensor located underneath the intake manifold because I'm going to change it tomorrow. So the more information I know about it the better. If any of you all have a picture of its location that would be great. Thanks in advance again.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by IThaJokaI
I just read this, and seriously busted out laughing.

Timing chains are not life of vehicle parts, I have broken 2 in my time of building cars.
Yah honestly when I read that I was a lil like..huhh..lol, I've never had to replace my chain yet thank god but I def know its normal to have a messed up chain and replace it.

To replace an engine simply because of a bad chain is too drastic and maybe overly **** lol goodluck tho man!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:29 AM

i wonna change my calipers
is this easy?
what do i need to do?
pics would help out a lot especially showing which bolts in need to take out to remove the caliper.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:05 AM

i went to nissan yesterday to get the vtc rebuild kit and the parts guy told me they dont work. i ask him why he says if it has high miles its not gonna make a diffrence. so my question is it worth rebuilding the vtc?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:36 AM
Banned

Lol @ the timing chain being non servicable lol. Goes to show what Benstoked does and doesnt know. Oh wait Benstoked owns a vg I forget, lmfao noob. Only the newer nissan have the self adjusting chains man the old ve's have to be changed out one time becuase they are not self adjusting.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Banned

i went to nissan yesterday to get the vtc rebuild kit and the parts guy told me they dont work. i ask him why he says if it has high miles its not gonna make a diffrence. so my question is it worth rebuilding the vtc?
never listen to parts guys that are gonna try talking you out of what you want to do. Go to www.nismoparts.com find the phone number and call jeff my parts guy he can get you your vtc rebuild kits at a good price.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 AM

i was wondering what weight oil i should put in my car. i wanted to put 0w-30 but i heard its not for an every day driver. i have a ve.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Banned

I use 5w30 but my car doesn't burn oil really. And mine is a ve-5
Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 PM

i dont have a spoiler so i dont know this and thats why im asking just incase a smartass says measure it.
does anyone know the length size of the spoiler for our car?
i also want to know where the holes are to screw it on.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 AM

my 90 max recently has been acting up. the car will just not start without a jump. The battery is fine i pulled one out of another vehicle i own just to test and all it does is wind once then nothing. The altenators fine because once the car is up and running everything stays running.(even tho when i pull the negative off while running the car instantly dies, think that test only works with some cars.) but yesterday when this first happend i would turn the lights on while driving and the radio shut off and so did the other interior lights not just the radio. and it turned back on but shut right back off. when i would turn the lights back off it would turn on and stay on. i figured short but i have a feeling somthing else is wrong. I think it may be a bad starter or a loose wire to the starter. Please give me input because im at a stand still here and want ssomeones opinion before i start ripping apart the wiring and replacing the starter.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)